Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Just saw these guys in Milwaukee yesterday. And promptly kicked myself for not bringing cash money since they had Heartbeats and Brainwaves on sale early. :( But Dick dragged me and some guy into a dance with him during Dance Pattern, so it (sort of) balances out.

Definitely see E6 live if you get the chance. They're loving insane, even in tiny little venues.

And gently caress the people who say they get worse with every album. :colbert: I actually think Fire isn't quite as good as some of their later albums, though it's still pretty good. And pretty much all of their albums have grown on me over time(except for KILL, but they're allowed one dud).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Gils posted:

What is this about early sales. :aaa: I'm seeing them saturday, what are my odds?
A couple other people I've talked to online have the full album already, so I'm guessing E6 wasn't just being extra-nice to Milwaukee. :v: Bring at least $15, since that's what the CD was selling for at the Tuesday show. It's a dollar more than buying on Amazon, but hey, you're getting it early! And you're also giving E6 more money so they can keep touring/making more albums. Everyone wins!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It's really tough to order it since all their albums are pretty good. So I guess this is mostly ordered by "how many songs are on here that I'd consider a favorite?". Complete with comments since I have nothing better to do.

Zodiac - I love 7/12ths of this album, and the rest of it is still pretty great.
I Shall Exterminate... - Gets pretty lame after Lucifer Airlines, but everything before that is good. (Except for When I Get To The Green Building)
Heartbeats & Brainwaves - Really hard to place since it's so new. I like the electronic sound, but I haven't listened to it enough for my opinion of it to be set in stone.
Senor Smoke - Gotta love the Pleasant Interludes. And Jimmy Carter, and Dance Pattern, and Vibrator, and Boy Or Girl, and Be My Dark Angel, and the Radio Gaga cover(E6 may have hated doing it, but at least it turned out well)...
Flashy - The first four songs of this are all great. The album's not quite as great (but still good) after that. I agree with Jack Trades that Graphic Designer's another good one off this album; I'm also a fan of Making Progress, even though a lot of people don't seem to like the synth-voice in that.
Switzerland - Everything on here's at least decent; the only standouts for me are Pink Flamingos, Germans in Mexico, Rubber Rocket, Slices of You and I Buy The Drugs. I find that this has a lot of songs that I really like, but tend to forget about unless I'm actively listening to them(like Slices of You).
Fire - Pretty unremarkable to me other than Dance Commander, Gay Bar, and Danger! High Voltage. Synthesizer & She's White stand out a bit too, but not as much..
KILL - The only songs on here that've particularly caught my interest so far are Escape From Ohio and The Neward Airport Boogie. It's growing on me since I've been listening to it some more, but it still sounds the most...samey...of any E6 album to me.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
You're making us pick favorites now? Time for some tough decision-making...

Fire - Gay Bar
Senor Smoke - Jimmy Carter
Switzerland - Pink Flamingos
I Shall Exterminate... - Tie between Kukuxumushu, Down At Mcdonnelzzz, and Rip It!.
Flashy - We Were Witchy Witchy White Women
KILL - Escape from Ohio
Zodiac - Clusterfuck!
Heartbeats & Brainwaves - Hello! I See You!

...I seem to have a thing for songs with exclaimation points in their title.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The problem with KILL is that there's almost nothing that jumps out at you at first listen, unlike every other album where there'll by at least one thing that's :aaa:-inducing the first time you hear it. It's grown on me a bit over time(though there's still only three songs on there than I could identify if I heard them without any song title attached), but it's still the most samey & dull E6 album to me.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Kill was a sack of poo poo and I've refused to buy any new E6 since I wasted money on that CD. That said, I saw people saying that Zodiac should be ranked above it so I went and took a shot in the dark and it's actually pretty decent, I'm still to afraid of Heartbeats and Brainwaves because of all the super synth-y stuff.

Clusterfuck! and Countdown to the Countdown are awesome though.
I believe you meant "every song on Zodiac is awesome". :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Yeah. I hope he gives his voice a good rest after this. God knows he deserves it after being on tour all the time and pumping out an album a year. :ohdear:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

gropemotron posted:

Are the later albums considered better than the earlier ones? I mostly just listen to Senior smoke and Switzerland, with a few exceptions like Gay Bar Part 2 and Watching Evil Empires. The latest one I bought was Kill, and wasn't really impressed with the album as a whole.
Kill is an album that has to grow on you, I think. I started off not being impressed with it either, but I've started liking it more lately. That said, I'd recommend getting Zodiac if you're looking to get any more recent albums; I can't think of a single song on there I don't like. Heartbeats is pretty good too, although the overall sound is less rock and more electronic than the other E6 albums.

And which albums are better than others really seems to be a matter of personal taste. I think this thread had a discussion a while back where people ranked their favorite albums, but it did seem to be all over the place.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Yeah, I noticed that, and if I weren't a broke-rear end university student I'd definitely try to go to one of these shows. Unfortunately it's not at all feasible for me right now. :smith:
Assuming they're pricing the Euro shows anything like the US shows, it shouldn't be that expensive. The only show I've seen of theirs costs $12, and an upcoming show I'm looking at costs $14. Pretty managable even on a broke university student budget. (although none of the shows listed are in Finland, so this mostly applies to people closer to where they're playing, I guess :smith:)

The shows are definitely worth it, especially if you can squeeze up near the front. Dick went into the crowd and did a short kick-dance thing with me and some random guy during Dance Pattern when I saw them. :3:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And the kickstarter is up: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/e6absolutetreasure/electric-six-live-dvd-absolute-treasure

There's a lot of rare stuff in the higher level rewards, and some of it is gone already. I'm just going to go for a t-shirt/dvd set myself.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Just saw them at the Double Door in Chicago tonight, and grabbed a copy of Mustang. The concert was great, and I like the album at first listen(although I'll have to listen to it several more times to make sure it's not just leftover excitement from the concert. :v:). Definitely go see the tour if it's swinging by your area.

One of the guitarists(not The White Wolf, the other one) had a neck brace on, though. Kind of :ohdear: yet :gbsmith:-inducing to see him soldiering on regardless.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
General impressions of Mustang now that I've had a few days to listen to it:

The art on the CD itself is cool, but the tracklist is printed on the CD in a hard to read green font that makes the whole thing look worse. Good thing I only needed to see the CD once, for ripping purposes. :v:

The insert is pictures of the band with random song lyrics(as in, a single line) from 6 of the songs. One of the chosen lyrics is "she goes AHHHHHHHHH". :allears:

As for the actual songs:

01. Nom de Plume - Not the best song they've made, not the worst. Makes a good opener, I guess.
02. Jessica Dresses like a Dragon - I like it. It doesn't make any loving sense, but I don't listen to E6 for songs that make sense.
03. Show Me What Your Lights Mean - Pretty good. Word of Dick says that the song is about aliens invading in the middle of a Texan college football game, and everyone being destroyed but the tomboys and computer nerds. You can sort of get that from the lyrics.
04. Adam Levine - Exactly as immature, catchy, and great as the first time I heard it.
05. Cranial Games - Pretty forgettable. I accidentally left it on repeat for 15 minutes once and still can't remember a thing about it.
06. The New Shampoo - Forgettable on first listen, but it's grown on me. Probably going to be one of those songs that I'm going to forget about, and then make me go "wait, I actually really like this" when it comes up on shuffle.
07. Iron Dragon - The obligatory slow song. It's pretty good.
08. Late Night Obama Food - Nonsensical, insane, ridiculous, wonderful.
09. I Never hosed Her - Not a huge fan.
10. Miss Peaches Wears an Iron Dress - Fun song, pretty laid back like Synthesizer or Table & Chairs.
11. Unnatural Beauty - Classic E6.
12. Gimme the Eyes - Nice and dancy. I like it.
13. Skin Traps - This would fit right in on KILL. Which is a short way of saying "I wasn't too enamoured with it at first listen, but it grew on me."
14. Cheryl vs. Darryl - A slower, more serious song. I'm a fan.

Overall, I'd say this is another solid album. Definitely worth getting if you're at a concert selling them, or on the 8th if you're stuck getting it the normal way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Babe Magnet posted:

wait what is gay bar about
It's about how the US government shoves the military-industrial complex("let's start a war, start a nuclear war") down our throats("I've got something to put in you"), and burns lots of taxpayer dollars doing so("I wanna spend all your money").

Or it's about a gay bar. Hard to say.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Kaboobi posted:

But I wanted a cover song :smith:
You can get a ringtone with a custom vocal. That could be turned into a miniature cover song, of sorts. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I wonder if they're not just getting burnt out from the constant touring and album releases. The last 2 year gap they had was between Heartbeats and Mustang, and that had Absolute Pleasure in it. Their only 2-year gap before that was Fire/Senor Smoke. Everything else has been a release a year, which is impressive but starting to look unsustainable.

• Locked thread