Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

I just found this band out back in March while listening to my iPod on shuffle in my car. Rubber Rocket came on and I'm just questioning "what in the world is this"? I look at my iPod, find out the artist, listen to all of their albums and slowly become more and more obsessed with them and I'm still obsessed with them til this day. I've already seen them once in concert and I want to see them again. They are my absolute favorite band to this date and I listen to A LOT of music. I was pretty impressed with Zodiac and I thought it was a lot better than KILL (my least favorite album).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

M1TCH3LL posted:

Saying that, they're already working on their NEXT album for 2011, apparently called "Man vs. Internet." So who knows.

According to when they usually put out their albums...only four more months.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

I love the stuff Dick spouts when he's on stage. "We're a political band that's from...Saudi Arabia."

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

"Hello. Hope your summer is hot and humid. I, like you, am waiting for our eighth album entitled 'Heartbeats and Brainwaves' to come out this October so we can all sing along together. However, this is still the summer and October is a season away."

Awww...Man Vs Internet is such a better name!

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Does anyone in this thread go to the Black Cat (a club in DC)? They play there every October.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Hmm...it has more of an electronic feel than KILL or Zodiac. I'm a huge fan of Gridlock and Heatbeats & Brainwaves but the other three songs are just so/so. They're not bad or anything I just think Electric Six does better with a their rockish songs more than their electronic-feeling songs. Considering these five songs, I defiantly don't think this will be my favorite album but I don't think it will be my least favorite (which is KILL) either.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. It totally made my day!

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

They play there in October every single year. They're pretty hilarious live. Hilarious as in...Dick tells a lot of jokes and basically does stand-up along with performing.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Shunkymonky posted:

"It Gets Hot" is the best 90s track I've heard in literally just over a decade.

It's a good song but I'm not really a fan of the robotized girl's voice...or whatever it is.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Aggro Craig posted:

I'm really digging "Psychic Visions" and "It Gets Hot". It needs to be October already.

I still can't believe these guys are on pace to release 10 albums in 10 years, and they'll be touring again in just a month and a half. Anyone in the Detroit area should definitely see them at the DIY festival in Ferndale; free show and a few other good bands there as well.

Actually, their first album (Fire) was released in 2003 and it's been eight years since then. Heartbeats & Brainwaves will be their ninth album so it'll be more like ten albums in nine years.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Haifisch posted:

A couple other people I've talked to online have the full album already, so I'm guessing E6 wasn't just being extra-nice to Milwaukee. :v: Bring at least $15, since that's what the CD was selling for at the Tuesday show. It's a dollar more than buying on Amazon, but hey, you're getting it early! And you're also giving E6 more money so they can keep touring/making more albums. Everyone wins!

...edit: Nevermind.

PeppermintEgo fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 23, 2011

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Gils posted:

Show is awesome. Best part is where he hugged people in the front row during the middle of I Buy the Drugs. Also, a song from every album!

Now I will try harder than ever to be in the front row.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

I just listened to the album and it's entirety. I have to say...it's definitely not one of my favorites. It has a more popish/electronic sound to it. I don't dislike it though. Not really "electronic" like Fire but a different kind of electronic sound. It's not better than Zodiac but it's better than KILL, in my opinion.

Here are my favorite albums in order (because I'm bored):
Senior Smoke
Switzerland
Zodiac
I Shall Exterminate...
Flashy
Fire
Heartbeats & Brainwaves
KILL

What about yours?

PeppermintEgo fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 1, 2011

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

M1TCH3LL posted:

Oh I do. I don't listen to Flashy at all any more, because I didn't rate it at the time and I certainly don't rate it now. The worst album they put out, as far as I'm concerned.

Two good songs, an album doesn't make (Formula 409 and Dirty Ball).

You've got to be kidding me. Gay Bar Part 2 is my favorite song by Electric Six, right next to Vengeance & Fashion. I actually consider Watching Evil Empires Fall Apart to be Electric Six's most "beautiful" song. Not that is has much competition there...

Interesting that you think that I Shall Exterminate... is their best album. It's a great album but I consider it the least creative. It sounds more like radio-played alt rock than any other album they put out.

Random note- Whoever created this thread needs to change the title (if you can do that). Zodiac isn't new anymore! :wooper:

PeppermintEgo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 2, 2011

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Kaboobi posted:

If anyone doesn't think KILL is their worst album they're doing it wrong.
Zodiac was a masterpiece compared to that.

My friend that has pretty awesome taste in music (and actually introduced me to Electric Six) thinks KILL is their best album. :stare:

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Smoky Bandana posted:

I'd put KILL in second place after Zodiac with Switzerland bringing up the rear, I'd also say White Eyes is one of the greatest songs ever penned by man and Sexy Trash might well be one of the worst.
Haven't had the chance to hear H&B yet, unfortunately.

I'M AN AMERICAN MAN AND I KNOW WHERE I STAND. I STAND WITH YOU...AND YOUR SEXY TRASH.

(Yes, I actually like this song a lot for it to get so much criticism from every E6 fan)

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

M1TCH3LL posted:

I Shall Exterminate... (ignore I Shall Destroy..., I had the word Destroy in my head for some reason) isn't musically as creative, but there's a ton of great songs on there: Down at McDonnelzzz, Dance Pattern, Riding On The White Train, I Don't Like You, Lenny Kravitz, etc. Lyrically, Dick was spot on at this point. That's also probably why I'm not hot on Flashy, coming from one of my favourite albums from any band of all time to Flashy is a pretty hard comedown.

I think Flashy is their best album lyrically, easily. Speaking of lesbian witches, a flight that has gone down to a man who has just recently fallen in love with a woman that was on it in such a short period of time, and Watching Evil Empires fall Apart...don't even get me started. As I have stated in this thread before, I think that is easily their most beautiful song lyrically and uh...instrumentally.
I also love the lyrics to Heavy Woman. "Yeah, she was once a little girl but someone downed her and she fell into a heavy world" gets me every time where I have to sing it aloud.
Also, I can't remember where I found this online but on Transatlantic Flight, they speak of an airplane going "JFK to Hethrow in the middle of the night". There is actually a plane that crashed around midnight going that route the same time they made this album. I often wonder if they're referring to that incident.
I love how Formula 409 is as sexist at it is. It's wonderful and hilarious.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Here are my favorite songs from each album~
Fire- Vengeance & Fashion
Flashy- Gar Bar Part 2
HB & BW- Gridlock!
I Shall Exterminate...-Riding On The White Train
KILL- White Eyes(though none of them stick out)
Senior Smoke- Be My Dark Angel (can I put all of them here?)
Switzerland- Slices Of You
Zodiac- After Hours

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

To me, both KILL and Heartbeats & Brainwaves has a lot of filler. All of the other albums, I listen all the way through.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Add something about White Gold to the OP maybe while we're on the subject?

Also, at current tally I see zero proclamations of the glory of "Food Dog". You heathens.

Food Dog is about a morbidly obese woman, right? This is their third song about this subject? Along with Heavy Woman (obviously) and Talking Turkey.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

I love the hip-hop sound at the beginning.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

So, which E6 song hooked you guys up?

For me it was Dance Commander from outro of a Zero Punctuation episode, actually.

Rubber Rocket randomly came on my iPod one day when it was on Shuffle. E6 had been on there for awhile but I had not listened to any of it.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So... the new albums is pretty drat great. Blows Zodiac and Kill out of the water, anyway.

It's a little better than KILL but it's miles away from being better than Zodiac.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Talking Turkey is the best end-of-an-E6-album song there is (especially after I actually listened to the lyrics and realized what it was about), except for maybe Synthesizer. I love Heartbeats and Brainwaves the song, but the dragged out ending doesn't work as well for me.

I must disagree. I think Dirty Looks easily wins this.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Smoky Bandana posted:

Weird, every time I've seen them here in England they're filling a five to six hundred capacity venue.

....Yeah, you live in England, that would be why.

When I saw them in 2010, there was probably 150-200 people at the Black Cat in DC. We'll see if there's more or less this year in two more days.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

So last night, everyone was laughing and confused of why they played a 10-minute (definitely not the original)version of In The Navy on the speakers before Electric Six came on stage. Then...Electric Six came on stage dressed as The Village People.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Smoky Bandana posted:

Tell me you got a picture. This is very important.

Unfortunately, I did not. My phone camera doesn't take good pictures...at all. Johnny N@shinal talked to me after the show and walked around and took pictures with people. He said he remembered me from last year. I suppose it was all the awkward eye contact I had with him?

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

I'm sure you all want to sign the Petition to have Electric Six load Nickleback's gear. Electric Six has six people, think of how less time consuming it would be! Dick started this petition himself. He only needs one billion signatures!!!

http://www.change.org/petitions/allow-electric-six-to-load-in-nickelbacks-gear

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

CzarStark posted:

Is this Dick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=TE60Npeyx6s

It definitely is. Electric Six once made plans to make a music video for every single song for I Will Exterminate Everything Around Me That Restricts Me From Being The Master. Although the videos are extremely low budget, they are still kind of funny (like Rubber Rocket). They also only got half way through and decided to abandon the plans. )=

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Is the voice in Making Progress a vocaloid?

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I know it's early but I wonder when we can expect to hear about this years album.

When it comes to them, who knows.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

As much as I love Electric Six, live albums have always annoyed me with the audience cheering and whatnot. I'll probably skip it. Maybe listen to it once but it definitely won't be on my MP3 Player. I really hope this doesn't mean they are going to take a hiatus.

EDIT: Just found out that the live albums will be replacing this year's new album entirely. Disappointing, but what do you expect from a band that puts out an album every single year since 2003? Guess they need a break sometime or another.

PeppermintEgo fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 31, 2012

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

M1TCH3LL posted:

If you haven't added Valentine on Facebook, by the way, then you totally should. He's adding everyone and if you leave the right comment or tag him in one, he's pretty awesome in responding. Not only did he reply to mine about all of my friends going to see him live with "You have 183 friends, Jones. Get it done...." but he also decided to read and reply to a completely unrelated comment about Gary Neville as a football pundit with "Neville is a muppet. Neville is a wanker. Neville is a twat. Neville can piss off. Neville is a knob." He probably doesn't even know who Gary Neville is, but it was a super cool thing to do.

Can you link it? Is it under Tyler Spencer or Dick Valentine? I can't seem to find it.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Thanks! Check out that default picture. Pretty awesome and very Dick Valentine-y.

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Didn't these guys claim to be done with music videos entirely at one point?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NSae0v-VHSk#t=2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeppermintEgo
Feb 22, 2011

Dick announces he's going to be a father. Here is a nice article written about Electric six on the cover of Metro Times today (Detroit's daily newspaper)

http://metrotimes.com/music/10-x-e6-1.1341621

• Locked thread