Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Think of it in reverse. I drive a lot and many times it's to places I've never been to and wont go back to. It's nice having a "Directions Home" short cut for wherever the gently caress I'm at.

Ahhh, that makes sense. I didn't realize you could use it in a "start from wherever the hell I am NOW, and get me to a pre-determined place" sort of way. That's cool.

ddogflex posted:

More than anything, I use it for transit directions home from wherever the hell I am. Tells me the quickest route via bus/train. EXTREMELY useful if you use mass transit. But it's also nice on how to get home driving from some place you've never been before. I don't see how you don't see the usefulness, unless you only go to work from home and vice versa at the same times every day, or don't live in a city.

As a matter of fact, I DO go to/from work at the same time every day (don't most people?) and DON'T live in a city (well, not a large one. We have some buses but I drive to work.)

And add to the fact that TV and movies have taught me that everyone who lives in big cities have the entire subway and bus systems memorized so they can act all cool to out of towners.

"Yeah, you take the F train to 22nd street, transfer to the G, take that to 5th ave, get off and get on the blue bus line to Franklin, walk five blocks, take a left, and badda bing, badda boom there you go."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

DrBouvenstein posted:

As a matter of fact, I DO go to/from work at the same time every day (don't most people?) and DON'T live in a city (well, not a large one. We have some buses but I drive to work.)

And add to the fact that TV and movies have taught me that everyone who lives in big cities have the entire subway and bus systems memorized so they can act all cool to out of towners.

"Yeah, you take the F train to 22nd street, transfer to the G, take that to 5th ave, get off and get on the blue bus line to Franklin, walk five blocks, take a left, and badda bing, badda boom there you go."

I meant just go to and from work, as in you never go anywhere else. And while most people who use transit know what busses/trains go where, they don't memorize the schedules and different routes are better certain times of day, etc. I don't know why I'm arguing nothing, also I wasn't trying to be offensive by saying you probably don't live in a city or that you work regular hours. :v:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thanks for that tip by the way. I had an empty home screen and a bunch of map links would be a good way to fill it.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Think of it in reverse. I drive a lot and many times it's to places I've never been to and wont go back to. It's nice having a "Directions Home" short cut for wherever the gently caress I'm at.

Echoing this - incredibly useful when driving in a city you're not entirely familiar with. Saved my rear end a dozen times, though now I just go to strange parts of town with no idea how to get back and assume my phone will do it for me.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yup. Long press home, Short cuts, Directions & Navigation

This is the most useful thing I could ever think of. How did I not know my phone could do this? I wonder how much other amazing poo poo I'm missing!

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Click here for the full 480x800 image.

Tajm, Weather Widget Donate, BattStatt, Netswidget, Doubletwits, and Switherpro.

Google News Widget, Tech Buzz, Engadget, and Last Call widget.

Friends Widget from LauncherPro Plus

This is on a T-mobile G2.

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~
Launcher Pro question. The dock shortcut for Contacts doesn't link to contacts, and the change shortcut option gives no option for Contacts, just an individual contact, is there a solution to this? I am using a stock european Samsung Galaxy-S.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Pennant posted:

Launcher Pro question. The dock shortcut for Contacts doesn't link to contacts, and the change shortcut option gives no option for Contacts, just an individual contact, is there a solution to this? I am using a stock european Samsung Galaxy-S.

Long-press the dock icon --> Change shortcut --> Applications --> "Contacts" application.

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

Bubble-T posted:

Long-press the dock icon --> Change shortcut --> Applications --> "Contacts" application.

many thanks

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

what would people recommend in the way of music apps that have a home screen widget?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Pennant posted:

what would people recommend in the way of music apps that have a home screen widget?

If your on Froyo/2.2, Music Mod.

God Exists.
Sep 26, 2010

by Ozma
I use Meridian because filtering by folders is one of those obvious features that most Android music applications do not have.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Has anyone found a source of modified cyanogen ui tweak xml's?
I'd love to see a site that has a bunch of the cyanogen modified xml's w/ screen shots. I'd assume that anything w/ support of cyanogen6 nightlies would be able to share the custom ui file? It would make themeing easier to port would it not? Or is there something obvious that I'm missing that would disallow the xml to run on different systems?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

Pennant posted:

mSpot has a decent widget but you HAVE to sync using their program. You don't have to use their wireless service though (2gig free, further compresses files, blah blah blah) as it supports USB sync (free, unlimited, doesn't compress further (it'd be silly otherwise)) and it supports iTunes and others. Its sync does work better than doubleTwist based on my own (windows and osx) experience.

Anyway, first time poster, long time lurker.

I like having the notification bar hidden so here it is with the bar on:

Ok so.
  • Samsung Vibrant
  • Desktop Visualizer
  • Custom rom (and kernel but that doesn't show) Bionix 1.8.
  • Icons stolen from Aatrek.
  • Wallpaper from xda poster NeffStar (they're not originals he/she just resized them properly or sometimes added the android logo).
  • LauncherPro with a hand-tweaked eclair-like dock. BTW, how do you make a dock for LauncherPro without getting a chunky gradient? I think it has to do with how LauncherPro scales the dock image and how Gimp, in this case, saves the PNG. Maybe I'll just try Paint.NET next time...
  • SwitchPro Widget
  • Direct Call to wife and Direct Message to girlfwife shortcuts using Visualizer and some photos I hand tweaked (they're both my wife, I just like her different hair styles :3:).
  • Icons on LauncherPro I got from DA somewhere, they were originally dark gray (icons themselves were dark gray, not the transparent ones that LP normally uses).
  • Beautiful Widgets (the smaller one) for the clock/weather. Clock skin is 'contrast' and weather skin is 'flat white'.

Other screens just have a few random shortcuts at the moment. It's a work in progress, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. I might end up tweaking the visualizer icons more, make the market/camera ones taller or just make my own, and the dock background needs some more work. Still debating on whether or not I like the SwitchPro widget transparent or not.

landis fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 12, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pennant posted:

Do you mean home screen widget or lock screen widget? I thought pretty much all music apps had a home screen widget.

SonicYooth
Jun 13, 2005

deong posted:

Has anyone found a source of modified cyanogen ui tweak xml's?
I'd love to see a site that has a bunch of the cyanogen modified xml's w/ screen shots. I'd assume that anything w/ support of cyanogen6 nightlies would be able to share the custom ui file? It would make themeing easier to port would it not? Or is there something obvious that I'm missing that would disallow the xml to run on different systems?

Not exactly what you're looking for but there's the UOT Kitchen which lets you generate a custom theme to your specifications: http://circle.glx.nl/

The only pain is that you have to upload your framework-res.apk from the ROM you are using.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

landis posted:

[*]Direct Call to wife and Direct Message to girlfwife shortcuts using Visualizer and some photos I hand tweaked (they're both my wife, I just like her different hair styles :3:).

Why not just a contact shortcut, that way you don't have to have two seperate shortcuts for the same person.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

big mean giraffe posted:

Why not just a contact shortcut, that way you don't have to have two seperate shortcuts for the same person.
That would take two button presses (and a short wait for a popup menu), wouldn't it?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
And here's my Motorola Droid X10 (:v:) front page.

Beautiful Widgets Home and Weather with blackcashmere clock font.

Middle is a market app called Contact Widget (direct call to wife's mobile), on the right is the Beautiful Brightness widget (toggle between 12% and 100%).

Bottom is Pure Messenger showing email, scrollable list.

LauncherPro dock with Dialer, Universal Inbox, App Tray, Messaging, and GTalk.

The rest of the pages are pretty much standard LauncherPro widgets.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

big mean giraffe posted:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That would take two button presses (and a short wait for a popup menu), wouldn't it?

Pretty much this, I unlock and I'm 1 click away from either a text or a call. Also it filled in the screen comfortably, I might replace one later with something else.

FlyingPhysicist
Nov 8, 2004
Coming soon to a town near you!
Was replaying though Mass Effect 2 and decided to make this... (still very much a work in progress!)

(My 'internet stuff'-type page, there are others but they're pretty similar really)

Using:
Desire stock 2.2 (with root)
LancherPro+
Desktop Visualiser
Beautiful Widgets

Wallpaper:

Click here for the full 960x800 image.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
That is seriously cool! Now if only Omni-tools were real...

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

FlyingPhysicist posted:

hawtness
Will you be sharing that stuff?

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
This thread inspired me to clean up and install launcherpro! I used to have 2.5 screens filled with icons.

Widgets are:
Switchpro
Launcherpro plus calendar
Beautiful widgets
Launcherpro plus messaging

Wallpaper:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
You could clean up your desktop a lot more if you put a bunch of that poo poo on the other sections of the dock and/or used folder organizer (there's a free lite version) to make some folders to sort poo poo into categories.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I don't really see the point in reducing the home screens even more, since it would then require multiple clicks or swipes to reach what I want to open. I think I reached a fine balance (for me) between cleanness and practicality. Always thought the point of the home screens was to have easy access to the things you use the most.

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
At least hide the application names. Do you really not know what each icon is for yet?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Leave him alone he just wanted to show you his desktops.

FlyingPhysicist
Nov 8, 2004

landis posted:

Will you be sharing that stuff?

Sure, here you go (own hosting)

Includes:
- Wallpaper
- Dock background (with or without the panels)
- Dock Icons - only done the 5 so far due to lack of time (just redrawing-recolouring-resizing the stock LP-style ones at the moment)
- BW clock skin (put this folder in SDCard/data/beautifulwidgets/skins/) - again once I have more time I may do a weather skin
- Template for the star pointers (in Fireworks PNG - sorry I am not good at photoshop, one day I will learn) - alternatively PM me with the app names you want and I should be able to do them quickly if they use the same layout - I'm using 2 screen of them with 8 on one and 5 (but probably space for 7) on the other

I'll probably add more stuff as I do it...

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Finally got the SDK working after having to reinstall java several times... This was mostly pieced together from suggestions in this thread. Awesome thread, by the way.

Homescreen:
Beautiful Widgets
Apps Organizer
Switchpro
Launcherpro+ (Touch Flo Carbon dock)

Agenda Screen:
Agenda Widget

Not seen:
Pure Calendar Widget
Launcherpro widgets

Wallpaper:
http://img.waffleimages.com/32fb62e903b4f0620583870cf0762fd04d9d49f9/Nexus Abstract_25.jpg

The Shep fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 18, 2010

Remmiz
May 3, 2009

GRUUUUUUMMBLES!

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Has there been an easier way developed yet for taking screenshots on stock phones? I tried messing with the SDK and had no luck.

I found it to be really easy using the SDK, but without rooting I still think thats the only way.

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.

FlyingPhysicist posted:

Includes:
- Wallpaper
- Dock Icons - only done the 5 so far due to lack of time (just redrawing-recolouring-resizing the stock LP-style ones at the moment)
- BW clock skin (put this folder in SDCard/data/beautifulwidgets/skins/) - again once I have more time I may do a weather skin
- Template for the star pointers (in Fireworks PNG - sorry I am not good at photoshop, one day I will learn) - alternatively PM me with the app names you want and I should be able to do them quickly if they use the same layout - I'm using 2 screen of them with 8 on one and 5 (but probably space for 7) on the other

Cool thanks. I have a feeling I'm going to have several profiles stored in LauncherPro just so I can swap between all the cool stuff people have been posting.

windows phone interface? whatevs, got that on my android beeyotch

Hooray Dialysis
May 20, 2007

everything is cool
Heres my Evo running Myn's Warm 2.2 RLS 2 rom
Launcher: Myn's Themed Launcher Pro

Settings/Agenda page

Home screen with Beautiful Widgets clock

Games/Apps/Whatever page

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm surprised there isn't a WM7 'Metro' ripoff widget set yet.

Hot Dog Day 60
Aug 11, 2003

FlyingPhysicist posted:

Includes:
- Wallpaper

Where do I put the dock files (background and icons both) so that Launcherpro will recognize them?

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Pissflaps posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a WM7 'Metro' ripoff widget set yet.

:whatup: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=787446

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

FlyingPhysicist posted:

Was replaying though Mass Effect 2 and decided to make this... (still very much a work in progress!)

(My 'internet stuff'-type page, there are others but they're pretty similar really)

Using:
LancherPro+
Desktop Visualiser
Beautiful Widgets

Wallpaper:

This is awesome.

The only thing that could make this better is if it was more of a folder setup where if you click on the 'star' (aka folder) it zooms into 'planets' (shortcuts to apps)

FlyingPhysicist
Nov 8, 2004

Hot Dog Day #63 posted:

Where do I put the dock files (background and icons both) so that Launcherpro will recognize them?

Anywhere you want on your SD card, it should just use an image/file explorer popup when you select custom icon

Doctor Butts posted:

The only thing that could make this better is if it was more of a folder setup where if you click on the 'star' (aka folder) it zooms into 'planets' (shortcuts to apps)

I need to do this, somehow

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

FlyingPhysicist posted:

Using:
LancherPro+
Desktop Visualiser
Beautiful Widgets

Wallpaper:

This is fantastic. I hope your ringtone is set to the BGM for the starmap view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Is there any easy way to get/make an animated background without learning how to code?
I think the starry background from Mega Man 2 would look kinda nice, and maybe not too busy.
For those unfamiliar with what I'm talking about :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IV0T-qK3ZA#t=16s

• Locked thread