Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

No Pun Intended posted:

Click here for the full 990x706 image.

"A man feeds a piece of bread to catfish in the Gadisar Lake at Jaisalmer in the desert Indian state of Rajasthan August 20, 2010. The man-made lake was built as a reservoir in the 14th century and is now home to catfish who are fed by tourists and devotees praying at nearby temples."

The thing that unnerved me about this particular image is that it looks like those fish are all acting as one creature. One creature with many hungry mouths.

The scariest thing about this for me is the knowledge that some catfish in India get huge and eat body parts from riverside funeral pyres (and possibly live people swimming!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_river_goonch_attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

"Goonch Attack" is not what I wanted listed as my cause of death.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

It's not super creepy, but the idea of being stuck in a large body of water with a gigantic sea creature roaming nearby is kind of unsettling for me.

I think it's called "Fire Down On The Labrador".

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Seventh Arrow posted:

It's not super creepy, but the idea of being stuck in a large body of water with a gigantic sea creature roaming nearby is kind of unsettling for me.

I think it's called "Fire Down On The Labrador".

Awww, but that's a Bowhead whale, a gentle plankton-feeder that has no teeth, only balene. He's just gonna give them a good scrubbin' with his bristles. :3:

and maybe also swallow them by mistake

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Xendless Xurbia

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Are these real?! Where the hell is that? I want to see it on google maps. Good lord.

Or is it just some 'shoop of things to come?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Bad Munki posted:

Are these real?! Where the hell is that? I want to see it on google maps. Good lord.

They're all aerial photos of housing developments in Florida.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

cloudchamber posted:

The most disturbing images in the thread so far.

*shudder*

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Bad Munki posted:

Go to google maps and put in "25.98482,-80.22234" and zoom out and pan a little. I think upstate Florida is slowly becoming the same thing, but there is a lot of urban sprawl in some places.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cloudchamber posted:

They're all aerial photos of housing developments in Florida.

If I were parachuting over those I think I'd try to steer towards an alligator infested bayou.

TommyFilth
Aug 25, 2000

by Ozma

cloudchamber posted:

Xendless Xurbia

When people talk about Hell, I'm sure many of them imagine lakes of fire, or some sort of Bosch-inspired plane of endless torment.

I imagine a place like those pictured above, only vast, endless, like an entire planet of suburban sprawl.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I don't understand what's so creepy about an endless expanse of nice, well-maintained neighborhoods.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Screaming Idiot posted:

I don't understand what's so creepy about an endless expanse of nice, well-maintained neighborhoods.

Yeah, I actually find the orderliness very calming.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

KnifeWrench posted:

It's because we're sheeple, man! We're, like, tools of The Man or something!

Give me suburban sprawl over filthy cities, backwoods hellholes, impoverished ghettos, and crumbling government housing any day. Having lived in all of these, the suburbs seem positively idyllic.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Looks like the most mundane place ever. You can just hear soccer moms talking poo poo about each other.

edit for content:
BABYSUIT

nudejedi has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Oct 7, 2010

Gobeachfrog
Jan 30, 2008

by Fistgrrl

TONY DANZAS HO posted:

I just took this picture and I find it hilarious because... best product tie-in ever?

JOLT ENERGY! IT IS METH.

wrong thread OOOPPS :ohdear:

maybe someone will find this scary

slendercan :cry:

Reset_Smith
Apr 9, 2009

It's SQUARE, motherfuck!

KnifeWrench posted:

The only thing bothering me is the thought of navigating that maze at ground-level in a boat. You buy a place on the canal for gulf access, but you never get that far :argh:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

cloudchamber posted:

Xendless Xurbia

I present: Mexico City

Only registered members can see post attachments!

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

the posted:

The only reason these bother me is because I can't help imagining trying to chew it up, and the seeds being really hard and hurting my teeth. Ew.

TommyFilth
Aug 25, 2000

by Ozma

Screaming Idiot posted:

It has nothing to do with "sheeple" or any of that bullshit. It's more of a "total loss of identity, lost in an endless maze of unvarying sameness". I can just imagine zooming in or out of one of those pictures and seeing the same structures repeated infinitely, like a Mandelbrot.

KnifeWrench posted:

The memetic infection has already taken hold of your senses. You may be too far gone for any kind of recovery.

TommyFilth has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Oct 7, 2010

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TommyFilth posted:

It has nothing to do with "sheeple" or any of that bullshit. It's more of a "total loss of identity, lost in an endless maze of unvarying sameness". I can just imagine zooming in or out of one of those pictures and seeing the same structures repeated infinitely, like a Mandelbrot.

How the hell is having a house similar to the ones around you a loss of identity? It's a place to live, not an unique outward expression of your soul or whatever.

It's efficient. It's comfortable. It's home. Better to lose your "identity" or whatever nonsense people tell themselves they have to make themselves feel better than live in loving poverty.

TommyFilth
Aug 25, 2000

by Ozma

Screaming Idiot posted:

How the hell is having a house similar to the ones around you a loss of identity? It's a place to live, not an unique outward expression of your soul or whatever.

It's efficient. It's comfortable. It's home. Better to lose your "identity" or whatever nonsense people tell themselves they have to make themselves feel better than live in loving poverty.

I think you're misunderstanding me, taking it too literally. I don't mean the house itself is a lack of identity... it's more that that endless rows of similar houses and streets metaphorically represent a lack of identity. It's more of a poetic idea than one that I believe to be literally true. A house is just a house, a neighborhood is just a neighborhood - it's more about the people that live there than the architecture.

VVV That's like being in a crowded place and looking at all the people there and trying to imagine who, among those people, was the person to commit the most depraved sexual act, and what that act entailed. VVV

TommyFilth has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Oct 7, 2010

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

cloudchamber posted:

Xendless Xurbia

Unironically, my first thought when I saw these was:

"I wonder, if little red dots appeared on all the places where someone was currently masturbating when that photo was taken, how many dots would there be?"

Should I seek help?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TommyFilth posted:

I think you're misunderstanding me, taking it too literally. I don't mean the house itself is a lack of identity... it's more that that endless rows of similar houses and streets metaphorically represent a lack of identity. It's more of a poetic idea than one that I believe to be literally true. A house is just a house, a neighborhood is just a neighborhood - it's more about the people that live there than the architecture.

I look at it another way. I see those nice, well-maintained homes and I think that these people are safe, happy, and comfortable. They don't have to go out of their way to show their individuality, they don't have to try to prove to others how different they are. They're united, they belong to something greater, they're a part of a society that respects the individual without forsaking the whole.

I can imagine these homes at Christmas covered with bright lights and decorations, each house a warm, cozy beacon of safety and tranquility in a chaotic and disorderly world. I can imagine children never lacking playmates, neighbors getting along, social events, family and friends getting together to celebrate birthdays, marriages, holidays, that sort of thing.

Sure, none of this is probably true; it's most likely the ongoing fragment of a 1950's America that never truly existed in the first place. Undoubtedly the majority of the people there are Fox News-watching, Sarah Palin-voting, blonde blue-eyed Jesus-worshiping right-wing scum. But the image is nice, isn't it? It's something we should strive for, I think -- no more slums, no more ghettos, no more high rises, and no more fridge boxes, just row after row of neat, comfortable homes for everyone regardless of race, religion, or financial standing.

I just depressed myself. :smith:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's actually pretty much the exact opposite thing we should be striving for and a grossly inefficient display of conspicuous consumption but okay

TommyFilth
Aug 25, 2000

by Ozma

Screaming Idiot posted:

I look at it another way. I see those nice, well-maintained homes and I think that these people are safe, happy, and comfortable. They don't have to go out of their way to show their individuality, they don't have to try to prove to others how different they are. They're united, they belong to something greater, they're a part of a society that respects the individual without forsaking the whole.

I can imagine these homes at Christmas covered with bright lights and decorations, each house a warm, cozy beacon of safety and tranquility in a chaotic and disorderly world. I can imagine children never lacking playmates, neighbors getting along, social events, family and friends getting together to celebrate birthdays, marriages, holidays, that sort of thing.

I hate to say it, but this is wishful thinking, and really as poetic as my vision of an endless Hellworld of identical streets and buildings (to give you a better vision of why that's unnerving, imagine those homes as uninhabited).

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sure, none of this is probably true; it's most likely the ongoing fragment of a 1950's America that never truly existed in the first place. Undoubtedly the majority of the people there are Fox News-watching, Sarah Palin-voting, blonde blue-eyed Jesus-worshiping right-wing scum.

Sadly, I agree with this completely.

Screaming Idiot posted:

But the image is nice, isn't it? It's something we should strive for, I think -- no more slums, no more ghettos, no more high rises, and no more fridge boxes, just row after row of neat, comfortable homes for everyone regardless of race, religion, or financial standing.

I don't mean any disrespect, but the picture you're painting - while indeed a nice one - is sort of a cartoon distortion of reality. If I'm understanding you correctly, what you're describing is not unlike communism, which sounds really pleasant until you take human nature into account. There will always be somebody willing to put others at a disadvantage in order to gain personal power.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

TommyFilth posted:

The memetic infection has already taken hold of your senses. You may be too far gone for any kind of recovery.

What's wrong with fractals? Nature has fractals! <:mad:>

TommyFilth
Aug 25, 2000

by Ozma

KnifeWrench posted:

Nothing at all, actually. I think they're fascinating. But a manmade fractal of suburbia creeps me out on a level I can't explain... reminds me of one of my more disturbing salvia divinorum trips.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's important to note that these permanent timeshares are a big factor in why Northern Florida is a culture sucking hellhole.

RunFish
Sep 15, 2007

KillRoy posted:

I loved it so much, that I had to get a framed copy of it in my office.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

KnifeWrench posted:

There is absolutely NOTHING natural about those 'fractals' though; everything aspect of those "neighborhoods" is 100% artificial, planned, and tightly controlled.

If that doesn't creep you out you're probably already dead on the inside.

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.

Chard posted:

There is absolutely NOTHING natural about those 'fractals' though; everything aspect of those "neighborhoods" is 100% artificial, planned, and tightly controlled.

I think a lot of what bothers me about those suburbs is that it reminds me the planet camazotz from A Wrinkle in Time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Wrinkle_in_Time

"Camazotz – A planet of extreme, enforced conformity, ruled by a disembodied brain called IT. Camazotz is similar to Earth, with familiar trees such as birches, pines, and maples, an ordinary hill on which the children arrive, and a town with smokestacks, which "might have been one of any number of familiar towns". The horror of the place arises from its ordinary appearance, endlessly duplicated."

Most images of mayan gods tend to unnerve me, here's a pic of Camazotz the bat god

And a mayan death mask for good measure

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

EL Skirvo posted:

How cool would it be if people's faces actually did this?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yours doesn't? :confused:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Chard posted:

How cool would it be if people's faces actually did this?
Two weeks!

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.

Bad Munki posted:

Yours doesn't? :confused:

Click here for the full 768x575 image.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Science has not delivered, gently caress you science get on the ball here let's go.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Chard posted:

I guess I am dead on the inside then. Things don't have to be natural to be beautiful. If that were a painting of abstract shapes, and not houses, would you feel the same? Societal implications aside, I just like clean, orderly design. I also think CPU architecture is pleasing, but I guess it fits this thread because things that are artificial and planned are "creepy."

All that good engineering, efficient use of space, and vaguely fractal design... gives me the shivers, man.

Anyway, enough of this derail. Here's some real content:

TommyFilth
Aug 25, 2000

by Ozma

KnifeWrench posted:

I guess I am dead on the inside then.

Nah. I actually took issue with that, but I wasn't going to start an argument about it. The beauty of threads like these is that we can not only share our fears with others that feel the same way, but also be illuminated to the things that make other people nervous.

It's interesting that so many people seem to take it personally when somebody else doesn't find what they find interesting/scary/etc to be the same way. For that matter, why make fun of somebody else for their fears or interests? Even if you don't agree, it's rather entertaining, and it doesn't directly effect you, anyway.

I guess some people just need to be "right". I find it's much easier to stay happy by dropping that kind of need, but maybe that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

EL Skirvo posted:

And a mayan death mask for good measure

Barthandelus?

This boss from FF13 every time you fight him has an array of faces, usually wordlessly chanting or something. That mask reminds me of his attack, "Thanatosian Laughter" in which his face splits open and shoots a bunch of lasers.

About 1:20 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV8lsqqQp2Y

Come to think of it, most of the "machine-god" bosses from FF13 were vaguely creepy.

• Locked thread