Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Pick posted:

I just want one--just one!--show in my life that's about friendship that isn't afraid to just show the friendship!

Spongebob. Sure, it's lowest-common-denomonator "random" humor these days, but it went pretty srtogn for awhile, and was pretty much about two manchildren doing dumb poo poo together.
Shows like that are normally shows made for tiny children because they don't know what it's like to have a crush on a girl or a guy or whatever, so they just wanna see a TV show with friends having fun like they do with their friends.

As Veskit said, regular friends will have relationships outside of their friendship. Saying "Just show the friendship! Don't have a romantic thing!" doesn't really work in most cases, because people in real-life friendships will also often be in relationships, or be persuing one.

e: Oh, hey, new page. Uhh...
I watched "Naive Man from Lolliland", one fo Quintel's earlier works which featured Pops, yesterday, and that made the pay raise he gave Mordecai and Rigby make alot more sense. Lollipops are his currency, and Butterscotch Ripple is a higher denomination.

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

SpacePig posted:

Spongebob. Sure, it's lowest-common-denomonator "random" humor these days, but it went pretty srtogn for awhile, and was pretty much about two manchildren doing dumb poo poo together.

But there's Sandy Cheek's and Sponge Bob. She's always trying to break up Patrick and Sponge Bob's man love! :argh:

Seriously though it's just a cartoon and there is no problem for any cartoons introducing a girl character to interact with the male characters, whether the be real love interests or not.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

But there's Sandy Cheek's and Sponge Bob. She's always trying to break up Patrick and Sponge Bob's man love! :argh:

Seriously though it's just a cartoon and there is no problem for any cartoons introducing a girl character to interact with the male characters, whether the be real love interests or not.

Just look at Adventure Time. There was an entire episode about dealing with friends and girlfriends together.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

octothorpopus posted:

They quite obviously and clearly have a platonic friendship. I still don't see how a romantic interest could interfere with it, unless you think Mordecai is going to break up with Rigby or something.

Also, the girl he was after was in less than half of that episode even. :psyduck:

Well, and sadly, I don't think homosexuality is taken seriously enough in enough circles yet for TV execs to be worrying about dispelling rumors of X and Y characters' latent homosexuality. After all, most shows don't worry about letting viewers know that the characters aren't atheists, or aren't into BDSM, or don't listen to Chicago.

In an odd way, it'll be a GOOD sign when shows feel obligated to shove their characters' heterosexuality down our throats like giant, throbbing cocks, because it'll mean that homosexuality's actually considered a viable option. Next stop, actual, non-stigmatized, gay characters!

(But, I suppose I'm an optimist.)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pick posted:

I think people assuming that I am claiming that it's "oppressing homosexuals" are completely missing the point, probably deliberately so. I have made it very clear that, if anything, I think it's disrespectful to the concept of platonic friendship. I don't think there's anything suspect about two people being friends, and yet every single show I've started watching immediately pins down character sexualities (straight AND non-straight alike). As for "but otherwise, Mordecai wouldn't have wanted to go to the concert :smug:," you're missing the point that there was little if any plot significance to Mordecai not wanting to go and any number of potential excuses. I just want one--just one!--show in my life that's about friendship that isn't afraid to just show the friendship!

As I also pointed out, RS is hardly alone in this, but it just happens to be the most recent show I picked up watching.

You need to either use way more or way less :catdrugs: when watching this show because holy poo poo.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

DivisionPost posted:

Really? I'd attribute Charlie to Rigby based on his hyperactivity, lack of education, etc.

I was referring to both of their hapless pursuits of a coffee-serving woman that they can never have.

But yeah, in terms of actions, I guess Rigby is a better Charlie.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can honestly say that this not-gay conversation is maybe literally the last thing I would have expected in a Regular Show thread.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Martytoof posted:

I can honestly say that this not-gay conversation is maybe literally the last thing I would have expected in a Regular Show thread.

Yeah, I thought your NHL/Regular Show crossover thing was out of left field, but this is just all kinds of :psyduck:.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, I thought your NHL/Regular Show crossover thing was out of left field, but this is just all kinds of :psyduck:.

Dan Carcillo is rigby IRL :v:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

DJExile posted:

Dan Carcillo is rigby IRL :v:

I just starting laughing because all this made me think of was Carcillo hamboning at Sean Avery. This is the dumbest thing I have ever thought of, but I really want to see it happen now.

Burnin Yinky
Sep 11, 2010

"Oh, it's YOU that's causing my suffering! Then if I tear you to pieces, the pain will stop!"
:furcry:
Episodes are gone in the OP... anybody else know where I can watch them?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Burnin Yinky posted:

Episodes are gone in the OP... anybody else know where I can watch them?

I was able to find them on Fios On Demand, so I can imagine they'd be on anybody else's on demand as well.

Caramel Trout
Sep 27, 2009

A bunch of baby ducks,
send 'em to the moon
Various people have been re-uploading them. The sound is a little wonky on a few, but at least they still have sound. Cartoon Network's streaming video site has episode 3 as of right now.

Episode 1 - The Power
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xORmZDekCTM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chb-oJjHRLE

Episode 2 - Just Set Up the Chairs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Ldm2-8CVU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVjxi8yLImM

Episode 3 - Caffeinated Concert Tickets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmbJVKxB8Cg

Episode 4 - Death Punchies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQqhilHmnRg

I don't think I've enjoyed a cartoon as much as this one. If anything can pull Cartoon Network out of the abyss, it's Adventure Time and Regular Show(although I also said that about Flapjack and Chowder).

If no one minds, I think I'll be purchasing the close-up of Rigby in the golf cart as an avatar within a few days.

Caramel Trout fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 1, 2010

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Well, and sadly, I don't think homosexuality is taken seriously enough in enough circles yet for TV execs to be worrying about dispelling rumors of X and Y characters' latent homosexuality. After all, most shows don't worry about letting viewers know that the characters aren't atheists, or aren't into BDSM, or don't listen to Chicago.

In an odd way, it'll be a GOOD sign when shows feel obligated to shove their characters' heterosexuality down our throats like giant, throbbing cocks, because it'll mean that homosexuality's actually considered a viable option. Next stop, actual, non-stigmatized, gay characters!

(But, I suppose I'm an optimist.)

I seriously have no idea what to think of this :psyduck: Do you want a little 9 year old's tv show to make sure the characters are atheists, are into BDSM, and listen to chicago?

Burnin Yinky
Sep 11, 2010

"Oh, it's YOU that's causing my suffering! Then if I tear you to pieces, the pain will stop!"
Just watched the first episodes and holy poo poo my expectations were met on this show. Too bad I could never really could stick to watching Flap jack and Chowder after 25 episodes

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

i like tacos posted:

I seriously have no idea what to think of this :psyduck: Do you want a little 9 year old's tv show to make sure the characters are atheists, are into BDSM, and listen to chicago?

Nope, I'm saying that homosexuality's not really on the radar, so when cartoons introduce an opposite-sex love interest, it's not because they're secretly worried that some 9-year-olds (or their parents) will otherwise suspect characters of being gay, any more than they're worried about 9-year-olds thinking that their favorite cartoon characters are atheists, because no episode has revolved around them attending shul or Sunday school.

Most viewers probably tend to assume that non-gay-acting characters are straight, so I don't think TV execs are concerned that viewers will fill vacuums with these kinds of assumptions.

(Though, if a cartoon were to feature an atheistic character, I'd be pleased as punch, and I'd be amused as hell by any references to bondage. Chicago, though---ecch. Won't anybody please think of the children!)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Chicago is an awesome band, gently caress you all.

Also an outspokenly Atheist character would be terrible because I don't see how you could possibly make it funny.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

Chicago is an awesome band, gently caress you all.

Also an outspokenly Atheist character would be terrible because I don't see how you could possibly make it funny.

Brian Griffin.

Oh wait, you said make it it funny. Nevermind then.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

In order for an atheist character to be funny, they need to be responding to some kind of silly religion stuff, otherwise they're just one of those assholes that's like "Hey, apropos of nothing, did you know there's no such thing as God? Yeah, just blew YOU'RE fuckin' mind alright. Hey, lemme tell you about all my awesome opinions." I highly doubt you'll ever see a cartoon that's even slightly geared towards kids have a religious character that sets up an atheist character to make jokes at their expense.

edit: I feel compelled to point out that the "you're" is intentional.

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 1, 2010

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Oh my god you guys, do you realize that Mordecai has a HUGE NOSE because he's a RACIST JEWISH STEREOTYPE?

as in "stop reading too much into it it's a kid's show"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The Steak Justice posted:

Oh my god you guys, do you realize that Mordecai has a HUGE NOSE because he's a RACIST JEWISH STEREOTYPE?

as in "stop reading too much into it it's a kid's show"

I noticed this, too. Also, Benson is a representation of the necessity to be MASCULINE, because he has BALLS

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Look here, I wrote "big laundry" and I don't even remember what the reason was. I guess I assumed I'd remember, like it was some big genius idea... Big laundry, BIG LAUNDRY! It's crazy, I'm a crazy person.
Skips represents the behind-the-scenes grip that masculinity and the patriarch has on the farm, which is a metaphor for women's rights

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pops is just this naive man from Lolliland.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Inspector_71 posted:

To be fair, outspokenly anything characters are usually terrible, unless they're intended to be satirical flanderizations. "This cannot work, because Family Guy does it terribly," is never a good reason for anything.

Establishing a character as an atheist could be just as simple as having them remark that they believe you have to make your own meaning in life, or expressing doubt in the afterlife and/or the supernatural, and leaving it at that. It's not something that has to be referenced or underscored in every episode. Lots of shows manage to subtly slide in some Jewish characters, without having them running around davening and eating pastrami on rye. Just have them make one remark, and bada-bing, it's canon, and you're done.

And, to be fair, Mordecai is a Jewish name. So, maybe he is a Jew Jay. :D

This is a heady discussion for a thread about a show featuring a violently lactating coffee bean and pelvic thrusts of death.

Shadow The Rat
Nov 12, 2003

Look here, I wrote "big laundry" and I don't even remember what the reason was. I guess I assumed I'd remember, like it was some big genius idea... Big laundry, BIG LAUNDRY! It's crazy, I'm a crazy person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y894QNtX0VA

Hey look, proto Benson and Mordecai

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shadow The Rat posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y894QNtX0VA

Hey look, proto Benson and Mordecai

Hahaha this is great.

OH GOD THAT GAS PUMP WHAT :gonk:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Tartarus Sauce posted:

This is a heady discussion for a thread about a show featuring a violently lactating coffee bean and pelvic thrusts of death.

No, this is entirely appropriate. It's an issue because it's never talked about.
Even that coffee bean was just a representation of underground Colombian drug cartels appearing as though they're legitimate businesses by going through an apparently repectable Chinese business front, and signing unwitting mules to do their work and addicting them to their product. Mordecai and Rigby's defiance is a representation of American grit and ingenuity.

Seriously, though, this show isn't much deeper than a bird and a raccoon hanging out and doing dumb poo poo. I really don't think there's any agenda here.

Burnin Yinky
Sep 11, 2010

The vicious cycle of the internet starts :smithicide:

Click here for the full 400x457 image.

welp

octothorpopus
Jan 22, 2010

JUST KEEP PLAYING!!!

Burnin Yinky posted:

welp

Oh believe me, it's started.

Also, don't search "mordecai," "rigby," or "regular show" in GIS with the safe search entirely off.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home

octothorpopus posted:

Also, don't search "mordecai," "rigby," or "regular show" in GIS with the safe search entirely off.

I google searched "rigby" with safesearch off and fell in love:

I watch this show with a six year old and a three year old. I appreciate that they can enjoy it while some of the more adult humor just flies over their head. This and Adventure Time are the two shows I can stand to put on for a half hour and not want to shoot everyone involved.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys

octothorpopus posted:

I didnt get any gross stuff with "Mordecai" or "Rigby" alone, but put them together and.... uhggggh.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Episode 5 "Free Cake" airs tonight at 8:15 Eastern. Watch it.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Burnin Yinky
Sep 11, 2010

DJExile posted:

Finally a update to when the next episode comes out :)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DJExile posted:

What kind of cake is it?

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Inspector_71 posted:

What kind of cake is it?

Free

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

homerlaw posted:

Free

The best kind.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Burnin Yinky posted:

The vicious cycle of the internet starts :smithicide:

Click here for the full 400x457 image.

welp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLVwkxO5IKE&feature=related

:suicide:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wish there was some way to see this in Canada. As is we have to settle for poking around the internet to see if they've put it up anywhere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Here we go! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bondster
May 6, 2007

It's not that kind of party muscleman

• Locked thread