Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Just finished watching the half hour special and that was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Although I do have to wonder if that was always the plan for the character or what. Because he was consistently underwritten, which was weird on a show that is chock full of character.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Just finished watching the half hour special and that was fantastic.
I love how one of the Russian generals at the UN-ish thing was clearly Zangief.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

muscles like this? posted:

Although I do have to wonder if that was always the plan for the character or what. Because he was consistently underwritten, which was weird on a show that is chock full of character.
I'm just glad he's gone. His voice was too normal and he felt like a contest winner's design that should have been around for only one episode.

At least they acknowledged that they pretty much didn't know how to fit him into the main cast properly.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
One of the Russian generals resembled Zangief.

It really did feel out of left field, but now Thomas is gone, so, less deadweight on the cast.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
They probably thought of it around the time of one of those park wars episodes, where Thomas infiltrated the vending machine guy's park, it hinted this a bit.

Also this was amazing, Zangief saying STOP HITTING YOURSELF, AMERICA will forever be in my heart. That plan was just loving brilliant, this show has the most amazing third acts.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 21, 2014

General Wishy
May 8, 2007
My favorite thing is just how people die. No Natasha didn't just fall from the plane, she was eaten by a whale as well.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So Thomas was just Poochie'd then? Because that was the best Poochie'ing ever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The thing about Thomas is that they seemed to want him to be a straight man, but that role was already filled by Skips and Benson at different times, so he was a bit redundant.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Waffleman_ posted:

The thing about Thomas is that they seemed to want him to be a straight man, but that role was already filled by Skips and Benson at different times, so he was a bit redundant.

I dunno. Benson and Skips each had their own weirdness (as you kinda pointed out), but Thomas was just... Thomas. He was the straightest of men, and I actually enjoyed watching his reaction to everything occurring around him.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Thomas as a character never really fit on the show i felt they got rid of him in a great way and almost made sense of the fact he was never around much.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The best thing about Thomas was when he lost the scary story competition in that one Halloween special and literally wore his costume in every episode til the Thanksgiving special.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I still say he should've died in that Muscle Man prank.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I kind of liked the premise with atomic bombs and all that, but I'm not sure teenagers will understand that like many other things in the show Russia in this episode is 80s action movie caricature of the actual thing. Hell, I think they even played the wrong anthem and showed Kyiv as Moscow on purpose.

Sure, Russia is trying its best to live up to that image of the enemy number one of America lately, but still it's probably not a good idea to reinforce this view in children TV. Or maybe I'm an idiot who cares about cartoons too much, I don't know. :v:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Paladinus posted:

I kind of liked the premise with atomic bombs and all that, but I'm not sure teenagers will understand that like many other things in the show Russia in this episode is 80s action movie caricature of the actual thing. Hell, I think they even played the wrong anthem and showed Kyiv as Moscow on purpose.

Sure, Russia is trying its best to live up to that image of the enemy number one of America lately, but still it's probably not a good idea to reinforce this view in children TV. Or maybe I'm an idiot who cares about cartoons too much, I don't know. :v:

Probably, yea.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I agree. It's a shame that people still use old jokes about Russia when there are so many new ones to choose from.

During the reveal Thomas rips off his regular clothing to reveal that was wearing a tracksuit the whole time.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!
I'm still trying to come to terms with how the CCCP's plan was some sort of warped Yakov Smirnoff joke. "In Soviet Russia, US soil destroys missile!"

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I haven't really kept up on this show since like, season 2 or so. I want to get to know about Thomas and end with the most recent episode. Without watching the last 3-4 seasons or so (can't remember where I stopped), where would I start to get Thomas' story?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Literally the last episode. There were hints in previous episodes, but nothing substantial. He was really kinda in the background for his entire run.

Edit: The next-to-last episode with Thomas, Thomas Fights Back and the season 4 episode Cool Cubed were the only other Thomas-centric episodes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Waffleman_ posted:

Literally the last episode. There were hints in previous episodes, but nothing substantial. He was really kinda in the background for his entire run.

Edit: The next-to-last episode with Thomas, Thomas Fights Back and the season 4 episode Cool Cubed were the only other Thomas-centric episodes.

The first one with him too I guess? The half hour big team-up episode, I forget the name.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

So Thomas was just Poochie'd then? Because that was the best Poochie'ing ever.
"I have to go now. Mother Russia needs me."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It looks like he's being given an actual sendoff this week.

Also, the Thanksgiving special is on, and it shows Thomas' mom. But Thomas is a spy and MOMM was the agency he worked for. I will not stand for this plothole in my stoner comedy for kids.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They addressed that in the episode, she's a robot controlled by Thomas.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Works for me.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Totally called it after "Park Wars" :cool:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't know how I feel about Margaret coming back.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't know how I feel about Margaret coming back.

It all depends on how the show handles it. I'm expecting mordecai to make a big deal of it in his mind, then the girls to be totally cool about the whole thing, realizing that everyone has a past.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Imasalmon posted:

It all depends on how the show handles it. I'm expecting mordecai to make a big deal of it in his mind, then the girls to be totally cool about the whole thing, realizing that everyone has a past.

Except its going to be a big drama bomb as foreshadowed in the new years kiss episode.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I was dieing when Muscle man opened that present.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
DORAMAAAAAAA

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
mordecai no

mordecai

mordecai i love you bro but seriously

what is wrong with you

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rudoku posted:

Holly Jolly Christmas playing in that scene really made it transcendent. Having seen it, I cannot possibly think of another song that would have made an elbow drop by a homeless guy dressed as an elf any funnier.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 5, 2014

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The Grimace posted:

mordecai no

mordecai

mordecai i love you bro but seriously

what is wrong with you

He is Mordecai

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Rudoku posted:

I haven't laughed that hard at anything in a long time. My son and I rewound that scene probably 5 times and it just killed us to the point of tears.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ugh, Mordecai's relationship poo poo drags the show down so hard, why do they have to keep going back to this well.
Like I knew they inevitably would, but I was hoping to be pleasantly proven wrong.

From here I guess the next episode will be Rigby trying to go back in time to before the party to warn Mordecai, but he goes back to New Year's instead by accident.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Goddammit, first Adventure Time is up its rear end with how DEEP it wants to be, for however deep a show about candy people and a talking dog can be, and now they're making a soap opera live triangle on this show which is always poking fun at itself 24/7?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Like seriously, the show got through the first nine minutes or so, navigated the stormy waters of bullshit, like it perfectly realized how dumb poo poo could geth, it was so close to being a pretty alright episode that put the Margaret relationship to rest, and then bam, in two minutes or so every single dumb thing that could have happened with Mordecai, CJ and Margaret being in the same room happened at once, augh

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Welp, I hope it's not as bad as you're making it out to be, but this sounds pretty bad. I like this show, but it's kinda sticking out as sexist compared to the rest fo the CN line-up...

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
At first it made sense to have Mordicai pine after another bird. She had no problem showing her boyfriends and romances to her friend.

I liked that mordicai had some character growth. He stoppped pulling a Mordicai and stepped up and got serious with CJ.

I would have liked for margert to have played the other roll of meeting CJ and subtly over a season try to get him back rather that a stupid kiss.

Now it feels like a stupid reset. Though the time traveling rigbi makes more sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
WTF was that crap with Margaret. :ughh:

Also Benson hiring a guy to beat the poo poo out of muscleman all night was the best.

• Locked thread