Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ToastyPotato posted:

Ok. For over ten years, I've wanted to know what the hell the song at the beginning of the lotto episode of Regular Show is. It's used in a lot of different places it seems. Shazaam couldn't ID it because I think there was too much going on over it.

Thanks to the many individuals with Aspergers that are enabled by the Internet, a wiki exists for this show.

quote:

The song at the beginning of this episode is Jurgen Schlachter's "The Big Laugh.", which has been used in shows such as SpongeBob SquarePants.

Let me guess, the first time you heard it was on that one Liquid Television short where a cat and a bird are sitting on a branch and the bird keeps mooning the cat?

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Reinanigans posted:

The callback to the microwave literally nearly killed me. I have a bad cold and started coughing while laughing and almost passed out, but it was so worth it. I will never not laugh at Rigby turning to dust in the time stream.

And yes, that Aileen reveal at the end was amazing.

How many times has Rigby died in this show? At least twice (microwave, arm wrestling), right?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

smokyprogg posted:

Someone posted in the Adventure Time thread asking for episodes to introduce people to the show. I, myself, like Regular Show more than Adventure Time, and most of my friends already watch AT. What would you guys recommend for starter episodes of Regular Show? Stick Hockey and This Is My Jam immediately come to mind for me. Any others?

First Day?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zap2It says there's a new episode for both, and I know I've seen commercials for a new episode of Adventure Time at least, so yeah something's up with your DVR on this one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Is this Rambo with tomatoes and expired food instead of bullets?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Roland Jones posted:

Besides the extra focus on him, it seems that Muscle Man gets treated differently, both by the writers and by the other characters. I mean, the extra focus he gets is obvious, but some other things are weird too. For example, between Benson condoning him doing things like shoving Rigby's face in manure during the mentoring episode (something neither Muscle Man nor Benson got called out on, apart from Mordecai saying it was wrong early on) and how in this one he cared more about getting Muscle Man pranking again than that he almost killed Pops, going so far as to use Pops as a tool in getting him back, it's like he has a Mary Sue-like immunity to the rules. Meanwhile Mordecai and Rigby almost got fired the time they injured Pops, among all the other things they almost got fired over.

Heck, the one time he did get punished that I can recall (excluding Benson firing him in the Don episode, which didn't last), when he was fired because they thought he was the one painting graffiti all over the park, Skips was obviously pretty pissed at Mordecai and Rigby for getting him fired, despite it being the reasonable course of action based on what they knew at the time. Between that and the positive development and importance he's had in the past season (him being made out to be less obviously terrible, him being needed to win the prank war, etc.), he's looking to be developing into, well, as I said earlier, a Mary Sue. Which sucks, because he's a lot funnier when he's the pig-like rear end in a top hat who messes with Mordecai and Rigby than the third main character who's better than the first two.

Benson and everyone else have always treated Muscle Man and High Five Ghost better than Mordecai and Rigby. Also, I don't think you know what a Mary Sue is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, she's so lame it's kind of endearing. I like how everyone just sits there staring whenever she does her lion tamer impression.

What the hell is she supposed to be, anyway? It's like she looks human on top but then she has a flesh colored beaver tail and weird little legs. And is also 3 feet tall.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

JT Jag posted:

Kids love badly animated formulaic cartoons with cashed-in punchlines and generic characters, who knew

Insert rant about how the cartoons back in my day were so much better here, but then again I can remember a couple pretty crappy "classics".

I'm proud of my kids, they bug me to put Regular Show and Adventure Time on all the time but I've taught them well enough to dive for the remote when Johnny Test or Annoying Orange come on.

As for back in my day, I can admit that I can count way more total poo poo cartoons that I watched as a kid than those that were actually good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Shabadu posted:

My kids love it...

Because I tell them to goddamnit.
No seriously, it stand on it's own and as a love letter to the 80s.

I just watched the episode "Don" with my kids, and after it ended my 2 year old promptly went around the room to give everyone some sugar.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dolash posted:

I'm adding the Rigby lost in the Beta-Timeline to the Rigby death count. Then again one Mordecai was lost that way too and another Mordecai was literally destroyed, so Mordecai gains some ground.

Well, I think it depends on whether Regular Show follows Back to the Future time travel rules or not.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Is it me, or does he actually look like Mordecai?

Guess you've never seen this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvafNPR-ceU

I never noticed before that the keyboard they have there is The Power.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Darke GBF posted:

I may have audibly screamed in joy when I saw that hamboning was going to save their life.

That episode was glorious.

I was disappointed that he didn't actually do any hamboning, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Teek posted:

HOOOOOwwooooooaaahhhh

Good to see it doing so well.

quote:

their efforts often result in insane escapades that delight Pops, a humanoid-looking lollipop

Is that what he's supposed to be? I thought his name was Pops because he used lollipops as currency.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I guess I no longer have any idea of what defines a "self insert character" or why that's a bad thing. When I think "self insert", Charlie Brown is usually the first thing that comes to mind.

JazzFlight posted:

Well, the thing is, I've never heard the characters refer to themselves as animals compared to humans, really. Maybe once or twice they actually said that a character was a skunk or that Benson was a gumball machine, but most of the time they make no reference to their own species. For all we know, they're all human and we're just seeing them as weird talking creatures.

I did think it was funny in the Deathbear episode that in a world where anthropomorphs live alongside humans, they still have animal control. It was funnier that all Eileen had to do was say "It's Deathbear!" to get an animal control SWAT team sent to their house.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 6, 2012

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I don't mind Thomas that much, but it would've been pretty funny if it wasn't all a prank and he was still in the car, and when Mordecai says "We killed Thomas!" Muscle Man just says "Who?" End episode, never mention him again.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Je suis fatigue posted:

See I thought he was going to die after they told Muscleman he pranked him and he wrecked his car, but I like more that he's alive because the show has a timeline and continuity rather than everything returns to the status quo every week.

If you're really stuck on continuity for this of all shows, then all the characters should be ghosts from now on, since they died two episodes ago.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

hughesta posted:

Hahaha it's The Goonies.

I was getting a Last Crusade vibe, but that would be a bit redundant since they've done one of those before.

Almost guaranteeing a Mount Doom reference coming up though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Pa-rum-pa-pum-pum! Santa's got a six-pack!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

That was probably the best use of Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Carol of the Bells ever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Citizen Insane posted:

Apparently it was actually a metal band with the wonderful name of SAVATAGE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZSWKB1_o4E

Who recorded it as part of TSO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savatage#Life_after_Criss_.281994-2000.29

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

My wife and I have taken to nodding and going "hmm, hmm-hmm, hmm" at each other. This show really does invade your vocabulary.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Smoking Crow posted:

Just for posterity, here's Rigby.

I refuse to believe these are anything but grotesque knockoffs on the level of "Robert Cop3".

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dammit, I forgot there was a new episode on today :(
Well, hopefully it won't take long to go up on On Demand.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Smoking Crow posted:

Not to brag, but I'm in college, and my birthday's on a Tuesday. :smugbert:

But are you in junior college?

Cardboard Box posted:

I really wish I had watched the new episode of this instead of the first 15 minutes of Monday Night Raw. Was the episode good?

If your cable system has On Demand, it should be up there by now. I just watched this and yesterday's Adventure Time.

DivisionPost posted:

I think my favorite touches of the episode was Margaret's ringtone for Mordecai being his dorky song

I think that was my favorite too. This show does great callbacks without rubbing them in.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 9, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

This episode was a fantastic troll. Kind of odd that Starla has more screen time and personality than Thomas at this point, though. Why did they even bother adding that guy?

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't remember because I haven't really watched American Cartoon Network around this time for a while, but did they always promote the Hall of Game so aggressively?

I think this is only the second year it's been on, and I don't remember last year being quite this bad, but it was pretty heavy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PaganGoatPants posted:

I don't care and I'm sure they don't either. I still think he should've died in that prank episode.

I get the feeling maybe they wanted to kill him but S&P wouldn't let that happen.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

God drat it Windows Media Center you piece of loving poo poo, why did you totally ignore that Regular Show was new tonight. :mad:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

"I'm not dead, I'm just resting!"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I really wasn't expecting that episode to end with The Touch and a Voltron battle when it started. I don't even have the words to describe what I just saw.

They did an amazing job of depicting the utter assholishness of geese, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'd be excited about this if it was someone like Telltale doing it, but that Adventure Time game really wasn't very good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

fount of knowledge posted:

This is the one video game ever that I'll be disappointed if it ISN'T just a mini-game compilation, which naturally must include:

Ball of Yarn
Lemonade Stand
Hats 4 Sale
Clap Like THIS!
Candle Maker
Deli Dude
STARING CONTEST

and of course, the final unlockable has to be Destroyer of Worlds.

No Alley Fight Dudes?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Croc posted:

Great episode all round show could have ended right there and it would have been perfect.

Out of interest is this the first real episode to feature just 1 of the main characters without some kind of coma/magic reason for why they ain't there.

Rigby was at the beginning of the episode, unless you mean him not being in the entire episode.

Speaking of characters disappearing with no explanation though, it looks like at some point they finally just quit putting Thomas in even as a background character. I'm honestly curious about that one because it seems like they didn't like including him in the show at all.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 20, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TwoPair posted:

I loved that joke. I honestly wouldn't mind if Thomas showed up in more episodes just to basically rehash that one gag over and over and play straight man to the madness around him. (Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen anybody actually try to leave whenever somebody gives the ol' "If anybody wants to back out now, I understand..." speech in like, any show/movie until this one.)

I can think of exactly one movie, but for some reason the name escapes me right now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TwoPair posted:

Sure, dwelling on failure is an option and telling people to bottle up their emotions is an option, I guess? That's kinda depressing as hell though. Personally, I think "be honest about your feelings" is a much better message, and I have enough faith in the viewers of the show to understand that sharing feelings doesn't mean necessarily mean "go for the kiss".

Well, Margaret did kind of initiate the relationship by going for the kiss on every other occasion (technically the Bad Kiss one didn't happen though, you know. Time travel and all). As Rigby (more crudely) pointed out, at least some responsibility is on Mordecai to talk to her about these occasions after they happen if the relationship is going to evolve beyond "awkward makeout".

Margaret even says as much in "Do or Diaper." I don't think it's so much that she doesn't have any agency (although she is a bit two-dimensional as a character) but she's frustrated with him loving around instead of just being honest and telling her how he feels, since he's always the one that backs out whenever there's an opportunity to make something more out of it.

As for the actual "friend zone" thing, clearly it was mostly just a buildup to making a Phantom Zone reference, but

Y-Hat posted:

The thing about the Friend Zone in this episode is that Margaret didn't put Mordecai in the Friend Zone, Mordecai put himself there. That's what makes this episode's treatment of it different than that of your average internet male shut-in.

I agree with this.

quote:

ANYWAY, all this junk aside, Eileen remains the best character. Her deadpan "Due to the tragic deterioration of our region's ozone layer" was hilarious and the "IT'S BEAUTIFUL" as the meteors started and the climactic music kicked off cracked me up.

Yes, Eileen is always the best character. She deserves better prospects than Rigby.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 13, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of creeped out by Margret's dad being a human being.

I can't place his voice. I want to say it's Jesse Ventura.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hahaha, did Lumbergh just come out of that box

Did that really just happen

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Are they being interrogated by Mulder and Scully?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I love how transparent they make it that "SODA" is a kid-friendly replacement for beer.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel old because it feels weird how they can get away with not only guns, not only people shooting eachother with guns that don't shoot lasers, not just all the different real types of guns in massive shootouts, but that also end in the bad guys being shot or blown up.

Just wonder how different the standards are for censoring these days.

You don't remember much of Batman: The Animated Series, do you.

Y-Hat posted:

They've been all about the '90s pop culture icons lately- the "Best Boss" mug guy looked just like Lumbergh from Office Space.

I know :v:

Previously on raditts: posted:

Hahaha, did Lumbergh just come out of that box

Did that really just happen

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PaganGoatPants posted:

gently caress that show.

On the one hand, my DVR hard drive died and I wasn't home so I'm glad I didn't miss anything.
On the other hand, Uncle Grandpa is loving terrible so yeah, gently caress that show anyway.

• Locked thread