Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

PlotDevice posted:

Goddamn, I just read the entire thing in a day. It was awesome but now I have to wait for updates like the rest of you chumps. :mad:

Welcome to the wonder that is Gunnerkrigg new person known as PlotDevice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Don't worry. Of all the webcomics I follow, Gunnerkrigg Court is by far the easiest to wait for with the most consistent payoff. Seriously, if you're going to follow a comic update to update, this is the one to follow.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've been reading Gunnerkrigg for a while, but I'd never realized how well liked the comic was. Finding this thread was a very pleasant surprise. I may just buy myself an avatar if I can scrape up the money.

On a more relevant note, tomorrow ought to be interesting.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Hey, speaking of updates, does everyone realize we are now a scant 9 updates from 1000 pages of Gunnerkrigg?

I know page milestones are probably not on the forefront of anyone's mind, but still, nice going Tom!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
It appears Gronk worms impress Red not in the slightest.

Great face in panel 3. And the guys running away backwards/upside down is amusing as well.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 27, 2012

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Why do I get the feeling that this situation will result in the equivalent of an ethereal pair of shades descending into Red's face? Her face already looks like she needs a pair.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Instant death sounds pretty dangerous

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

pandaK posted:

Instant death sounds pretty dangerous

But Red doesn't seem too worried.

Those are some amazing faces in panel 3, too.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Nondevor posted:

But Red doesn't seem too worried.

For sure. I mean, she's died once already, right?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

BOOOOORING let's get back to some motherfucking math up in this piece.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I wonder if the Gol-Shogeg is actually an illusion Blue is using to spite Annie due to her jealousy. Red sure doesn't seem fazed, and seems to know what Blue was up to based on her "Oh here we go again" :rolleyes:. Then again, maybe Blue is just a jerk. Either way, can't wait for the next strip, as usual.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe Gol-Shogeg can't actually touch them in The Ether.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to have to agree with the illusion idea. One would think that Red would want to keep this body after all the effort it took to get her into it. An illusion would explain her remarkable indifference.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be clear, I don't think it's an illusion; just an ethereal form, like everyone else right now. And as such lacks its death-touch properties.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

But Blue was previously seen to be the more level-headed and sensible of the pair. Would she really construct an elaborate series of illusions feigning some kind of danger just to make her friend like her more? That would be silly and self-indulgent.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Pester posted:

But Blue was previously seen to be the more level-headed and sensible of the pair. Would she really construct an elaborate series of illusions feigning some kind of danger just to make her friend like her more? That would be silly and self-indulgent.

I don't see her as being that sensible. Remember, her whole basis for being Red's friend was that her hair went up. Seems fairly petty, even given the typical fairy personality.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 27, 2012

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
The teacher doesn't seem too fussed either, it's pretty scary, but would rather be asleep.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Isorenieratane posted:

The teacher doesn't seem too fussed either, it's pretty scary, but would rather be asleep.

I'd been thinking that this was an illusion that Blue had used before, and the other students were just playing along with it for whatever reason. When it comes down to it, though, the fairies have consistently caught me off guard.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I'm with the school of thought that as fairies they just aren't all that concerned by 'mortal' terror

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
What is with this special-effects-riddled instant-death-threatening action-packed chase scene? I was expecting girls getting haircuts. :argh:

In unrelated news I bought an extra copy of the third book by accident and it turned into a perfect Christmas gift for my friend who is a fan of the strip.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Myok posted:

In unrelated news I bought an extra copy of the third book by accident and it turned into a perfect Christmas gift for my friend who is a fan of the strip.

They also make great gifts for such as children. I gave my 12-year old sister volume one for Christmas, and she ended up reading it all an loving it. My Nine year old brother also seemed to enjoy it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

FunkyAl posted:

They also make great gifts for such as children. I gave my 12-year old sister volume one for Christmas, and she ended up reading it all an loving it. My Nine year old brother also seemed to enjoy it.

I'm hoping he gets book 2 back in stock, I'm waiting for that to pull the trigger on 1 and 3... he'll probably sell out of one of those before 2 gets back in though :(

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

MikeJF posted:

Maybe Gol-Shogeg can't actually touch them in The Ether.

Maybe it's the only place it can touch them. Mind blown?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Myok posted:

I was expecting girls getting haircuts. :argh:

gently caress that, they were learning orbital mechanics. Orbital mechanics is awesome and interesting; why can't we see that instead? As Kat says, one does not get "bored" in double physics!

edit: oh hey Kat, what a coincidence that you happen to appear right as I quote you! Thanks, avatar fairy!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I hold that this page was made when the avatarpalooza was started and Tom decided to put the maximum amount of avatars on one page.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

I think I'm in love. :swoon: I've been ill, and instead of grading papers like I should be doing, I barreled through all of Gunnerkrigg Court in 3 evenings on a goon's recommendation. I'm really fascinated by Muut and the other guides, and pretty much everything about the forest.

And holy poo poo, this page with the fox scream made me laugh so hard last night that my fiance had to save me from a coughing fit. And now that I'm up to date with this, I have nothing to save me from grading while I'm sick. :(

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.

T-man posted:

I hold that this page was made when the avatarpalooza was started and Tom decided to put the maximum amount of avatars on one page.

It's a nice thought but Tom has a buffer of something like two chapters if I remember correctly.

I think the man just likes to draw and has a knack for expressive faces.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

abbic posted:

It's a nice thought but Tom has a buffer of something like two chapters if I remember correctly.

I think the man just likes to draw and has a knack for expressive faces.

So in two chapters time we'll get a page where each panel is amazing and also conveniently avatar sized?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Well, since we're back on avatarchat...

It was weird making this because it involved a lot of time zoomed really far in. Just staring right at me.

edit:

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 27, 2012

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

bagrada posted:

I'm hoping he gets book 2 back in stock, I'm waiting for that to pull the trigger on 1 and 3... he'll probably sell out of one of those before 2 gets back in though :(

Best I can tell, Book 1 has been out of stock for quite some time. I check back every couple of days hoping to snag it.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Geomancing posted:

Best I can tell, Book 1 has been out of stock for quite some time. I check back every couple of days hoping to snag it.

Edit: Nevermind, bad things.

Aceofblue fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 27, 2012

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Aceofblue posted:

Books 1 and 3 are in stock on Amazon.com right now. Would there be any reason to not buy the books through them?

Tom supposedly signed a really terrible publishing agreement and gets no money from books outside of con purchases/topatoco

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

RickoniX posted:

Tom supposedly signed a really terrible publishing agreement and gets no money from books outside of con purchases/topatoco

Oh! :ohdear: I didn't know. Alright then, to TopatoCo I go.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Aceofblue posted:

Oh! :ohdear: I didn't know. Alright then, to TopatoCo I go.

You could do what I did, buy them from Amazon and then donate to Tom through Paypal?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Aceofblue posted:

I think I'm in love. :swoon: I've been ill, and instead of grading papers like I should be doing, I barreled through all of Gunnerkrigg Court in 3 evenings on a goon's recommendation. I'm really fascinated by Muut and the other guides, and pretty much everything about the forest.

And holy poo poo, this page with the fox scream made me laugh so hard last night that my fiance had to save me from a coughing fit. And now that I'm up to date with this, I have nothing to save me from grading while I'm sick. :(

You could always go archive binging when people link random pages to the comic! That's always a fun way to spend time.

(I think I've read through the archives so many times that it'd be easier if I just bought the books, but alas! They're out of stock and I would want to buy all three at once :()

PlotDevice
Oct 10, 2007

*For the Ghost Who Flies Through Space
Well as long as we're posting archive pages...

I just went through the entire thing recently and I can't stop going back to favorite parts but that one specifically really is great on every level. You get some good character developement and Panel 6 especially is amazing.

The only one I might like a little more for dramatic reveal power is this one here just because the writing and art are both excellent. Plus it has Coyote in it! Hooray!

Basically the comic rules I guess. V:shobon:V

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

idonotlikepeas posted:

Oh how have I ignored this thread and these wonderful avatars for so long?

Claiming the Saddest Face because I've been looking for a new avatar for ages. And now I have to read the entire archive again.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Aw yeah, about to get us some learning on how the Ether works.

Tom also continues to pump out amazing avatar material with panel 4.

EDIT: Although after fiddling with it, it seems to be hard as poo poo to actually make into a decent-looking avatar. I can just barely get her face in there but most of her hair and hands gets cut off. :(

1stGear fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 30, 2012

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
O no. A moida!

I'm looking forward to learning more about the Ether. And even though it might not be serious, inner teeth on the Gronk worm are still slightly creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Man, Red is NOT impressed with Blue's dramatics. Either way, I'm now waiting for the explanation for this to occur.

Also, Tom's commentary is the greatest part of this(all) comic(s). (Moidalized, seriously.)