Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Filthy Haiku posted:

His name is Chip Block. :colbert:

Yeah I know, wasn't sure if anyone else would get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
O dear heavens. Frowning sadfaced Gronk worm. This chapter really does have the best faces.

You know, rather than summon anything, Blue could have done something to manipulate everyone's feelings/perceptions.

Edit: Seriously can't stop laughing at the frowning worm.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 1, 2012

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Oh man, that would be an amazing gif. Sad kid, sad kid, sad Annie, sad worm.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Of all the words I never expected to ever see Tom use, "jabronis" was pretty high up there on the list.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Are they reacting to Red being called Red there?

Wait, has she never been called Red before?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Okay, everyone, back to studying. Guess this little game's a bit too much for Annie.

Male Man posted:

It's not exactly what you're asking, but some anonymous My Little Ponies fan or collection of fans spent hundreds of dollars forcing MLP avatars onto TFR posters. It's oddly colorful in there.
Not everyone who buys other people avatars does it because they like them.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MikeJF posted:

No, The closest is Annie calling Blue "the um... Blue One." Unless I missed a page that Red appeared that wasn't the Lady Tubalot page.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Pretty sure they're reacting because Red wasn't expecting to be called out, and Blue wasn't expecting Annie to go along with it, since she was doing the whole thing to draw attention away from Annie anyway.

I dunno, though, but I am certain we shall find out for sure on Friday!

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

MikeJF posted:

That's what I figured, since the chapter is called Red Gets A Name.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

That's what I figured, since the chapter is called Red Gets A Name.

Her new name will be Redd.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

The saddest face :smith:

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

So I've just started reading this webcomic at the start of the latest chapter, and I've only got the vaguest idea of who everyone is and what is going on, but I don't want to stop reading because the art is just so incredibly charming!

It's also the reason I haven't gone into the backlog and marathoned it from the start to know the story. Holy poo poo, he has improved so much, but honestly, when I saw the first chapter's art I just decided to stick with the pretty stuff. I hope you this thread doesn't hate me for that, but I am going to start following this from where it is now. :shobon:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

So I've just started reading this webcomic at the start of the latest chapter, and I've only got the vaguest idea of who everyone is and what is going on, but I don't want to stop reading because the art is just so incredibly charming!

It's also the reason I haven't gone into the backlog and marathoned it from the start to know the story. Holy poo poo, he has improved so much, but honestly, when I saw the first chapter's art I just decided to stick with the pretty stuff. I hope you this thread doesn't hate me for that, but I am going to start following this from where it is now. :shobon:

...really, dude, you should go back. The art improves extremely quickly.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not only that, but it'll make a hell of a lot more sense.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Yeah, man, it makes no difference to us, but it's kind of like coming into a restaurant where everyone is eating and going "No, no, I don't want a menu. Your starters sound gross. Ham and melon? Ugh. Just bring me some of those delicious little mints I can see at the next table, and I'll pick up this michelin dining thing as I go along."

Your review is going to suck, is what I'm saying.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Of course if the art really bothers you you can always read the comic backwards until you hit the early few chapters.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Well yeah, you CAN, but it'd be like starting with "Rosebud was his sled".

poo poo, spoiler alert.

e: also, I don't think the early art was that bad, it's just that everything after it was so much better that it looks terrible by comparison.

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 1, 2012

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Seriously dude, go back and read from the start. The early art is still drat good, just more stylized. The early chapters chip along at quite a pace and you'll be through the old art in no time at all.

You will seriously have NO idea what is going on if you start from here, it's a dumb idea.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Okay, yeah, I'll marathon the whole thing when I find time. You guys are convincing.

Especially since, looking at the start of each chapter, you're right about the quick improvement.

Tertiary Stresses
Jul 27, 2007
Clearly, Annie is upset with Red's insinuation that the Gol-Shogeg isn't even a real thing right to it's face. Way to be cruel to the death worm Red! Look at it's sad face!

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
I laughed once at the peaceful death scene, laughed again when Annie called out Red for spoiling the moment, then laughed a third time when I looked back and saw sadworm among the mourners. Well done!

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
The sad worm is great, but the best thing for me is Blue's incredibly smug corpse.

e: Here, have an avatar.

What a consumate actress. Actually, taking into account Annie's standards for acting back in "From the Forest She Came", I'll say it is entirely posible she has entirely believed on Blue's act.

Wili fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 1, 2012

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'm guessing the surprise at the end is that she was called "Red". This is Her Getting A Name, I think. To us all she was "Red", but was she ever called that in the comic?

Spooky Candle
Dec 2, 2011

In Nature, death is but a gateway to New Life.
Faeries are adorably petty.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, she was never directly named Red by anyone, at least on panel. And, oh man, that sad worm.

should I even ask what the hell is a jabroni?

e: and, not to kill anyone's buzz, but all this earlier silliness in fiction is usually there to make the blow of upcoming nasty look even worse. Next chapter's not going to be a happy one.

vvv that strangely makes it even more confusing

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 1, 2012

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, she was never directly named Red by anyone, at least on panel. And, oh man, that sad worm.

should I even ask what the hell is a jabroni?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXwpS9mbbck

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Macaluso posted:

The saddest face :smith:

Want that av so much.

A Gol-Shogeg!

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I'm guessing that Red is going to say "What? You don't know my name?". Which causes Annie to say "You don't even know her (blue's) name!"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Man, all these Gunnerkrigg avatars are awesome. I'd probably pick one up, except for: A) I don't have the money, and B) I'm somewhat fond of my dancing T-Tar. Ah, well.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is Annie upset over the fact that it reminds her of her mother's death, or is there something I'm missing?

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
No, she's upset because someone just 'died' in front of her. Apparently she's kind of obtuse.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Or she's playing along. Looks more likely to me that that's it, but it'll probably be clearer on Friday.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm thinking that faeries have some derpy rule about names wherein the first person to refer to you with a proper noun (or anything with a capital first letter (they can tell)) names you. Maybe they're surprised because this is a faux pas of some kind because they're not allowed to change it so you're kind of a jerko if you go around slinging names, or maybe getting a name is like a faerie bat mitzvah.

I'm also thinking Shoggy only ended up looking like that because Annie described it before Blue "summoned" it.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Zenzirouj posted:

B<( should be the title text for this one.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zenzirouj posted:

I'm thinking that faeries have some derpy rule about names wherein the first person to refer to you with a proper noun (or anything with a capital first letter (they can tell)) names you. Maybe they're surprised because this is a faux pas of some kind because they're not allowed to change it so you're kind of a jerko if you go around slinging names, or maybe getting a name is like a faerie bat mitzvah.

That would be awesome. The other fairies get fanciful or whimsical names like Ogee and Torus, and now Red is stuck with a freaking color.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Olivia42 posted:

That would be awesome. The other fairies get fanciful or whimsical names like Ogee and Torus, and now Red is stuck with a freaking color.
I guess she'll wish she'd gotten touched by the Gol-Shogeg.

Better dead than red.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

Olivia42 posted:

Serves her right for trying to name Annie "Lady Tubsalot."

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Ironic Twist posted:

B<( should be the title text for this one.

B˄(

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The best of part of the comic is how everyone is now perfectly okay with the presence of the worm, even though they were running from it in terror only two pages ago. Clearly, they were all in on it from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SimonChris posted:

The best of part of the comic is how everyone is now perfectly okay with the presence of the worm, even though they were running from it in terror only two pages ago. Clearly, they were all in on it from the start.

Well, those jabronis all know she does this every week