Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I wonder if Dad the Impaler was the sole founder of Realm of The Dead. Or did it grow from a Bismuth Seed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Kikas posted:

I wonder if Dad the Impaler was the sole founder of Realm of The Dead. Or did it grow from a Bismuth Seed?
I like to think at the dawn of mankind, or whenever humans started thinking about that sort of thing, someone said "Y'know Ugg, there really ought to be a place where dead folks go. They've got to go somewhere, right?" resulting in the first employee of the RotD pops into existence.

"Ooooo, I am the Mysterious Man, who takes dead people to the... place where dead people... go to!"
"You're a bit rubbish at this, aren't you?"
"gently caress off, it's my first day! Of anything!"

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Hremsfeld posted:

Nearly the only way this can end is with :flame: - Dadcula might be a lot older than Annie, but vampires tend to be a bit less fire resistant than your average haystack.

:downsgun:

I'm sure I could have been farther from the truth. Not quite sure how, but I'm glad I was so far off.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
You're good people, Dadcula. :unsmith:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Wyld Karde posted:

I wonder what it says about Kat that she saw all the theatrics for what they are from the get-go?

That Kat don't put up with no bullshit?

Seriously though, I wonder if she "sees" through anything else, or if it's just RotD specific?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I like how Dadcula has a more simplified character design underneath. It ties in with the way the rest of the RotD looks, but also what is going on here. His life was cut short, he didn't get to grow old or leave his mark, and his design is similar - not a lot of fine details or wrinkles or scars or anything showing he had a long and active life.

Its a good comic and Tom does a good job :)

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
Dadcula states that the RoTD is "smoke and mirrors, but the Ether makes it real." My assumption from that statement is that Kat cannot see the Ether or is unaffected by it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

And Dadcula was... THE ARTILLERYMAN ALL ALONG.

I mean not really.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oz posted:

Dadcula states that the RoTD is "smoke and mirrors, but the Ether makes it real." My assumption from that statement is that Kat cannot see the Ether or is unaffected by it.

We know this is strictly false because she can see Ankou as he truly is and be intimidated by him, and he is a wholly Etherial being.

What appears to be going on is that Kat can see through an Etherial deception...when there is anything to see. The RoTD are all show, they're fundamentally human ghosts. Ankou on the other hand has nothing to hide. That's just what he is.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

My impression is that Kat automatically knows how to take everything apart and examine it. Therefore, the RoTD is shown for what it truely is to her, which is nothing but cheap costumes and fake props. Annie and Mort see whatever it is that the illusion is trying to create, because their minds aren't tuned for such automatic analytical thinking. Mort sees an elementary school haunted house because he is around that age. Annie sees horrors from beyond the veil, because she's used to that sort of thing. Kat sees a pimply teenager in a cheap costume because that's what it really is.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I think the thing us Mort sees it how it meant to be seen, Kat sees it with all the bullshit stripped away. And Annie due to her strong connection to the ether gets a double wammy of the creepy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

My impression is that Kat automatically knows how to take everything apart and examine it. Therefore, the RoTD is shown for what it truely is to her, which is nothing but cheap costumes and fake props. Annie and Mort see whatever it is that the illusion is trying to create, because their minds aren't tuned for such automatic analytical thinking. Mort sees an elementary school haunted house because he is around that age. Annie sees horrors from beyond the veil, because she's used to that sort of thing. Kat sees a pimply teenager in a cheap costume because that's what it really is.

On the other hand, this contradicts the fact that she doesn't see Mort as a little kid. :shrug:

I'm not convinced this whole exercise in multiple perceptions has been thought all the way through, to be honest. There have been other inconsistencies that I can't immediately recall.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Maybe mort really see's himself that way so that is what he is, the head guy will always see himself as a Normal dude wrapped in tricks but Mort is 100% into it, so there isn't anything underneath that.

Edit: I mean we know some ghosts aren't faking the creepy stuff, Jeanne most certainly isn't.

Edit 2: Yeah mort could look like anything but to Mort he is a ghost now and should always look like a ghost (As he sees it), while Dadcula is always a Normal man Wearing a mask in his eyes?

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 14, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Stormgale posted:

Maybe mort really see's himself that way so that is what he is, the head guy will always see himself as a Normal dude wrapped in tricks but Mort is 100% into it, so there isn't anything underneath that.

Edit: I mean we know some ghosts aren't faking the creepy stuff, Jeanne most certainly isn't.

Mort can make himself look like whatever, so I'd imagine most ghosts, especially dudes at the rotd, can make themselves look like whatever too.

I don't think there's really a baseline for "what a ghost looks like" other than whatever they looked like when they were alive. Mort could probably make himself look like himself I bet.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I imagine Kat sees Mort as a ghost because Mort is here friend and she is fine with not looking in depth and ruining the illusion for Mort. Not as a conscious action mind you, just subconscious.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm not convinced this whole exercise in multiple perceptions has been thought all the way through, to be honest. There have been other inconsistencies that I can't immediately recall.

Should I bring out once again that the multiple perceptions thing has only been going on within the ROTD? Kat has known Mort for a while, outside the ROTD. She has an idea of what Mort looks like in the ROTL, and with her perception of ROTD things as they really are, she sees Mort as who he really is: Mort.

You're kind of overthinking the whole deal.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
I think possibly we don't have nearly enough data to say exactly what the deal is with perception of the ROTD.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Roger Tangerines posted:

I think possibly we don't have nearly enough data to say exactly what the deal is with perception of the ROTD.

I still like the pre-multiple perceptions theory that if the RotD had made Kat a ghost it would have entailed just dropping a bed sheet over her.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Should I bring out once again that the multiple perceptions thing has only been going on within the ROTD? Kat has known Mort for a while, outside the ROTD. She has an idea of what Mort looks like in the ROTL, and with her perception of ROTD things as they really are, she sees Mort as who he really is: Mort.

You're kind of overthinking the whole deal.

This doesn't really jive with existing explanations for her apparent ability to cut to the truth of people she has no data on. By that logic her background with Mort should have no impact on her ability to reflexively see through the bullshit.

So yeah I guess what I'm saying is: I don't buy that.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.
I think the part that I like most about this page is that, in the last panel, Dadacula implies that there were a great many people like Mort that were taken under the wing of the RoTD during the Second World War. It makes the guy seem a lot more human, considering what he did for Mort. He was just trying to help a kid who he didn't really even have space for, just because he didn't want Mort to be "winked out of existence" when he hadn't been allowed to live his life to the fullest.

It's pretty touching, honestly. The guy was just trying to do everything he could to save as many people as he was able to.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Poor guy's right..he never got to do much with life and everything ended before it was supposed to...

The Critic should never have been cancelled.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Annie and mort believe in god, kat doesn't believe in god. Mystery solved.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Hi sorry in advance for stupid question, I'm not reading the thread because spoilers. I want to catch up after not reading for a long time. Last I remember they were reviving robots from some crypt. Can anyone point me to the right chapter so I can start reading again? TIA.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Chard posted:

Hi sorry in advance for stupid question, I'm not reading the thread because spoilers. I want to catch up after not reading for a long time. Last I remember they were reviving robots from some crypt. Can anyone point me to the right chapter so I can start reading again? TIA.

Should be this one: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=395

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Chard posted:

Chapter 33 is where you should resume.

Edit: Hmm, it seems pik_d and I disagree on which chapter you are looking for.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Awesome, thank you

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Chard posted:

Awesome, thank you

Which one was it? Both have Robots being revived.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Yeah this actually is a bit farther than I thought I was now that I look. Um... It was like the history of the robots, Kat was repairing a bunch they found in some... bunker? So I guess the first time if this happens more than once. It's been a long time sorry.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Chard posted:

Yeah this actually is a bit farther than I thought I was now that I look. Um... It was like the history of the robots, Kat was repairing a bunch they found in some... bunker? So I guess the first time if this happens more than once. It's been a long time sorry.

That's pik_d's link then. Sorry about that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Chard posted:

Just start over from the beginning!

Everyone else does!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think I know then device you mean, too.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
That's some pretty high-grade "loving with the fabric of reality" right there.

Jhordhynne
Jan 12, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I think I know then device you mean, too.

I believe it's called The Eglamore.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Diego what the hell did you do

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Duh. He tore the rotd a new one.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

JT Jag posted:

That's some pretty high-grade "loving with the fabric of reality" right there.

Say what you will about Diego, but he didn't half rear end making an eternal rage fueled sentinel.
With that said, the more we learn about this situation the more he comes across as a horrible monster of a human being.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 16, 2014

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Not really really. Just az torough and competent one. He's pretty much reached bottom floor when we learnt about him and Jeanne, and that was in his first appearence.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm beginning to think that in Dracudad's case we don't have different perceptions, he just updated his disguise as new kinds of vampires appeared on earth media. :v:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Blackheart posted:

I'm beginning to think that in Dracudad's case we don't have different perceptions, he just updated his disguise as new kinds of vampires appeared on earth media. :v:
Thank god we didn't see him a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Iceclaw posted:

Not really really. Just az torough and competent one. He's pretty much reached bottom floor when we learnt about him and Jeanne, and that was in his first appearence.

Well yes. I guess this just reaffirms what we already know. Some real dedication to tear a hole in the afterlife though.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 16, 2014