Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
[grumble grumble] kill you so hard even the gods won't recognize you, you friendzoning whoooooooooooore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fecha posted:

Thank god we didn't see him a few years ago.

I was going to ask what you meant and then I remembered the sparkles. Brrrrr...

I'll find solace on the fact Dadcula probably had too much self-respect for trying to look like a late 00's "vampire".

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Tollymain posted:

Diego what the hell did you do

According to him?

Nothing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Diego must have had an ability like Kat's, only as it pertains to the nether. He knew how to create machines that were powered by the nether and he created a device that was capable of cutting a soul off from it. I'm sure this somehow ties into how the new robots don't have any nether presence and Kat is somehow the universe reacting to that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You mean the "ability" of being intelligent enough to invent things based on observed phenomena?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If this is the effect of that arrow on the ROTD as a whole, what happened to the guy that got shot with it? Did his etheric form just get... obliterated?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

JT Jag posted:

If this is the effect of that arrow on the ROTD as a whole, what happened to the guy that got shot with it? Did his etheric form just get... obliterated?

It was probably used to power whatever etheric mechanism is doing the work, and still is.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

neogeo0823 posted:

It was probably used to power whatever etheric mechanism is doing the work, and still is.

That's what I figured as well. Whatever it is that the wonkey arrow thing is doing, it's doing it because it's powered by that elf's soul.

The lengths that the founders of the Court went to in order to protect their interests are pretty frightening, honestly. And the hosed up thing is we don't even really know why they did what they did yet. Hopefully this chapter will shed a little light on that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We already know what they want.

You will soon have your God, and you will make it with your own hands.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

SynthOrange posted:

That's something Coyote said, right? I'm not entirely sure that that's the full story here...

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

SynthOrange posted:

Deus ex Machina? I suppose so, but Sir Young's monologue that was shown off here seems to imply that his motivation, at least, was to establish the Court as a society that would stand the test of time.

I've been wondering what pressured them to make the decision to sacrifice Jeanne and her finance though. What could have been happening that they would have felt the need to kill both of them in that way? What did they really gain by forever binding Jeanne's soul to the Annan River, besides a wrathful and unwilling guardian for their civilization?

Edit: vvv 'Course I did, silly! We've never been given any serious indication as to how aggressive the forest folk were toward the Court Founders, after all. Maybe ol' Ysengrin just wanted to come over and hang out so everyone could have pizza and go "woo!" about the pizza together, but those Court fellas didn't want that to happen!

Doctor_Blueninja fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 17, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
^^^ did you see those fuckin monsters? They were some fuckin scary monsters, and they were in like an army or somethin? Under the command of "general ysengrin", mr. "I hate humans"?

Onean posted:

That's something Coyote said, right? I'm not entirely sure that that's the full story here...

Well we know that they are like suckin all the ether out of some big lake and shootin it off deep into the Court for unknown reasons. Soooo like what else would they be doing with ether if not trying to be god :science:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Well we know that they are like suckin all the ether out of some big lake and shootin it off deep into the Court for unknown reasons. Soooo like what else would they be doing with ether if not trying to be god :science:

Oh, I'm sure that's part of it, but I'm not so sure that's all of it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Other sneaky Court behavior is like the boss guy (wow I forget what he's called) deciding to not choose Annie to be the Court medium based on the mysterious opinions of whoever was in on that decision. Though I'm pretty sure he got totally foiled by Coyote in that situation.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Other sneaky Court behavior is like the boss guy (wow I forget what he's called) deciding to not choose Annie to be the Court medium based on the mysterious opinions of whoever was in on that decision. Though I'm pretty sure he got totally foiled by Coyote in that situation.

In spite of Annie's qualification, Smitty really was the better candidate. His particular talent is well-suited to the position and he is far better at dealing with the bureaucracy that comes with the position than Annie ever would have been.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

I've been wondering what pressured them to make the decision to sacrifice Jeanne and her finance though. What could have been happening that they would have felt the need to kill both of them in that way? What did they really gain by forever binding Jeanne's soul to the Annan River, besides a wrathful and unwilling guardian for their civilization?
The terrible thing, of course, is that they didn't need to - that was all Diego. I sort of get the impression that they probably could have figured out a way to get the same effect without killing Jeanne and her elf beau, but Diego was in a position to make everyone else think that there was just no other way.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

It is so satisfying that every side plot advances the main plot, and it is never forced.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

GabrielAisling posted:

In spite of Annie's qualification, Smitty really was the better candidate. His particular talent is well-suited to the position and he is far better at dealing with the bureaucracy that comes with the position than Annie ever would have been.

I feel like if Smitty were a better choice then why would Jones have suggested Annie over him?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

SynthOrange posted:

Within six months.

U... UNATCO?

No, Savage.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

I feel like if Smitty were a better choice then why would Jones have suggested Annie over him?
Jones might have a different opinion on what makes for a better medium than the court.

In fact, isn't that her job?

Regardless, Smitty has proven himself to deserve the position.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Tupperwarez posted:

Within six months.

U... UNATCO?

No, Savage.

Electronic old men! Ruling the Court.

Why is that video so damned quotable!? :arghfist:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

GabrielAisling posted:

Well, in addition to being well qualified for the position. From the Court's perspective, Smitty is not already predisposed to favor the other side. If you consider the position to be akin to a diplomat, you don't choose someone who is likely to defect, or represent the opposing side with such loyalty as to be detrimental to your side.

Let's face it, Annie isn't exactly a good candidate for the position, as she has next to no loyalty to the Court and is incredibly disobedient.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 17, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

GabrielAisling posted:

Smitty is a better fit as the Court Medium and Annie is a better fit as the Forest Medium, simple as that. They both honestly ended up where they should have.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Through... luck?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Through scheming, ill-tempered pettiness, and a general inclination to poo poo in the cereal of anyone who disagrees with you.

I personally am still convinced that Coyote didn't have "make fire head girl my medium" as a key step in his plan when he waltzed into the Court that day; he planned to welcome Annie as the Court's medium to the forest and everyone would go for hush puppies ("This time I promise they actually will. Hahaha!"). When the headmaster chose Smitty instead he realizes, look at this, stuffy old Llanwellyn has a problem with fire head girl! So obviously the correct response is to undermine him in flamboyant fashion, because it would be really, really funny, and when you're a trickster god even the most entrenched of long cons is flexible enough to be rearranged around humiliating your foes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SynthOrange posted:

Is it right to indulge on an ecstasy of creating a god that sees what I see, that looks exactly like me, rather than what I wanted to be? For that viper that grew inside my head, for having betrayed you so well, can you forgive me? They promised me a miracle when all my crimes will be just one, but now it's gone.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dr. Buttass posted:

Through scheming, ill-tempered pettiness, and a general inclination to poo poo in the cereal of anyone who disagrees with you.

I personally am still convinced that Coyote didn't have "make fire head girl my medium" as a key step in his plan when he waltzed into the Court that day; he planned to welcome Annie as the Court's medium to the forest and everyone would go for hush puppies ("This time I promise they actually will. Hahaha!"). When the headmaster chose Smitty instead he realizes, look at this, stuffy old Llanwellyn has a problem with fire head girl! So obviously the correct response is to undermine him in flamboyant fashion, because it would be really, really funny, and when you're a trickster god even the most entrenched of long cons is flexible enough to be rearranged around humiliating your foes.
Same here. Coyote would have been just as happy to have a Fire Elemental within the bounds and strictures of the Court that would have been his to gradually subvert, but he just couldn't pass up the opportunity the Headmaster gave to him to take an even more direct route.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Dr. Buttass posted:

And I'm not sure that the headmaster, and maybe even Jones, didn't mean for exactly this to happen. The Court has way more control over Annie than they would have had over any other forest medium.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Diego is weird, isn't he?
He not only creates a race of very intelligent magical golems, but also creates a doohickey capable of tearing the realm of the dead a new ecto-hole for the sole purpose of creating an eternal, undying guardian.

It's a bit too pat, is what I'm feeling. How does he know so much about the ROTD? Does it have anything to do with his creation of super writing that can program his golems? Does Kat's ability to read it mean she has a similar connection to the ROTD?

I mean, whatever the reasons, Kat does immediately see past the rotd's tricks to the snotty teenagers and paunchy dads beneath them. Maybe if she explores a bit she'll find green boy's soul chilling in a room with a safety pin connecting him to the wall.

Edit: thought I'd check back on when Kat figured out the robots, got sucked in. Anja Donlan's hair curlies are a really nice piece of character design, aren't they?

M.c.P fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 18, 2014

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's nothing saying Diego had the faintest idea what his arrow would do to the RotD, or even that it existed. That said, given that it worked, he obviously knew a thing or two about souls. At this point I'd say there are more mysteries surrounding him than Jeanne.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Tenebrais posted:

There's nothing saying Diego had the faintest idea what his arrow would do to the RotD, or even that it existed.

People were using fire for centuries before they figured out how molecules work.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I think it's just another case of the Court/humans getting what they want without considering the repercussions. I think he didn't care enough to worry about the effect on anyone else.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Aww, come on, Carver. :rolleyes:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
"Lots of people have died trying to mess around with Jeanne. Oh, you're going to try, awesome! GOod luck!"

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

SHISHKABOB posted:

"Lots of people have died trying to mess around with Jeanne. Oh, you're going to try, awesome! GOod luck!"
*Ankou slowly backs away*

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Presumably step one is going to be finding a way to disable Diego's Arrow. Of course, as that's the only thing holding Jeanne to the waters there'd be nothing to stop her going on a vengeful rampage through the Court.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Wyld Karde posted:

Presumably step one is going to be finding a way to disable Diego's Arrow. Of course, as that's the only thing holding Jeanne to the waters there'd be nothing to stop her going on a vengeful rampage through the Court.

Yeah, which presumably is what Annie is there for.

To take jeanne into the ether before she can do that. Possibly by floating the idea of a reunion with her elf lover?

But yeah the reveal last chapter than jeanne has killed hundreds of creatures and will go on killing anyone she can get her hands on has made removing her both more important and more dangerous.

I mean you can't just let the butchery of anyone who happens to come near the river continue, but at least she's contained down there right now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wyld Karde posted:

Also Diego's Arrow is within range of Jeanne's death rampage. I imagine that their plan is less to disable it and more to just remove it, but getting to it is the problem.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I wonder if Diego will be seen again spiritworld wise? Dude is such a petty Dick I imagine that his spirit is going to be a bit changed from his physical form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Since he's got a record in the final records I assume that means he was taken into the ether.