Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Here's one of ours:

I feel that Zimmy would be quite at home in that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Here's my state's museum of art. It's kind of exactly the opposite of what you'd expect:

But it's all OK, there's a trail behind the buildings and you can look at these things:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

idonotlikepeas posted:

Here's one of ours:

You grew up in a Dr. Seuss book!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

Here's one of ours:

Wow, they really captured that "pile of old garbage" look.

Actually wait, is that what what they were going for? I can't imagine a building complex looking more like a jumble of crumpled cardboard and aluminum. There's that half-banana, and what looks for all the world like a discarded coffee cup in the corner.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

pik_d posted:

But it's all OK, there's a trail behind the buildings and you can look at these things:

Not going to lie, these are pretty boss.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Ditocoaf posted:

Actually wait, is that what what they were going for? I can't imagine a building complex looking more like a jumble of crumpled cardboard and aluminum. There's that half-banana, and what looks for all the world like a discarded coffee cup in the corner.
It's an MIT building by Frank Gehry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_and_Maria_Stata_Center

Personally I think it's hideous but I'm not an architecture critic.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

idonotlikepeas posted:

Here's one of ours:

There is a reason I hate Frank Gehry and it is this monstrosity.

I worked in that building for five years and it is as awful on the inside as it is on the outside. It is a rule that MIT Computer Science majors must get lost in that building at least once to graduate.

Oh, and Gehry has had his fair share of laser death buildings.

EDIT: Among the amenities the building provides inside are bare concrete pillars with construction markings still painted on them and easily visible wide gutters designed to hold Ethernet cable runs along almost every wall that remain largely unused because wifi came on the scene at the same time the building was built. The gutters have not been removed reportedly because they are contractually part of the building architecture and hence cannot be removed.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 28, 2014

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

What's hard to get from the pictures is the feeling of disorientation you have when you're on the streets looking up at this thing. The proportions just feel all wrong. You get the feeling that there must be some elder god asleep somewhere in the middle of it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ditocoaf posted:

You're right. Now I can't unsee it :psyduck:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Nuts to all of you. Cwmbran is the place to be. You knows it, bruv.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014

Blasmeister posted:

Well you could visit the scenic and nearby city of Coventry if you want to do that:

England has so many walkable elephants, and I never knew it! Austin doesn't have any to my knowledge, which is very strange to me.

Dammerung posted:

I'm actually going to be visiting Birmingham in about two weeks, so I can tell you how it is! I'll be sure to visit the elephant.

This is awesome, that would be awesome!

Adding to hellspider chat, half my family lives near and around Birmingham, Alabama, and I can assure you there are no deadly hellspiders. Probably because we have so many hunting spiders there. (They hunt widows and brown recluse like they do insects, and like to live in houses. They're all pretty cute, too :3:).

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

team overhead smash posted:

I was in Birmingham at the weekend (and have been there many time) and it looks a lot better in person. Coventry though...

They have the occasional nice buildings:

But then they go and do this to them:

Yeah, sadly the whole post-blitz urban renewal thing coincided with that unfortunate time in the 50's & 60's when architects thought prefabricated concrete was actually a pretty great idea and sure to be both awesome to look at and last forever.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 28, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey brutalism is a great architectural movement :mad:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

Well you could visit the scenic and nearby city of Coventry if you want to do that:

Germany did an Elephant Conversion on an old building in the middle of a big park even

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 28, 2014

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ha, you take a building with too few windows, and attach a section and top-floor made of windows, and I guess the building averages out to well-lit?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Ditocoaf posted:

Ha, you take a building with too few windows, and attach a section and top-floor made of windows, and I guess the building averages out to well-lit?

German Engineering Architechture. :v:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Brutalism is actually a really bad choice for an art gallery that isn't showing something antique and easily damaged. Natural light is very important!

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Brutalism is actually a really bad choice for an art gallery that isn't showing something antique and easily damaged. Natural light is very important!

Well to be fair, that probably excludes almost everything that is painted that isn't contemporary art made with colors chosen for lightfastness. A lot of colors, especially older ones but plenty that are still used today deteriorate and fade when exposed to direct sunlight. Alizarin Crimson and Carmine red are particularly big offenders but are far from the only ones. Natural light is pretty great but I wouldn't expose 99% of paintings to it for long periods of time.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Oct 28, 2014

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

You're right. Now I can't unsee it :psyduck:

It reminds me of the 'overflowing wastebasket' wing of my local museum:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

It's not supposed to look good, it's supposed to evoke emotion

Namely, disgust

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

idonotlikepeas posted:

Here's one of ours:

Geez, it's like if Kefka decided to start a college instead of building a tower.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The Boxbot school of architecture.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
hmm. More than one mind in the shipbot?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
No, those are Seraph bots, transformed by Zimmytown.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The Seraph series look kinda like Tic-Tocs in their transformed state.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Is it just me, or does anyone else think the Zimmified Seraph units look rather like the tik-toks? :ohdear:

e;fb. That's what I get for taking the time to read a discussion on architecture before making my comment.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kat, gently caress them up! :mad:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cernunnos posted:

German Engineering Architechture. :v:

Hey, we were just told we needed x amount of window surface, placement is just a nonfuncitonal detail! Here, have a house that was probably designed either by or for Coyote (or both):

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Oh god they're some combination of tik-toks and Skeksis.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

The Red Queen posted:

Oh god they're some combination of tik-toks and Skeksis.
TRIAL BY blinker STONE

Y'know, for all the talk of Lindsey in this chapter, where is she? I thought she was swimming along with the boat.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

FronzelNeekburm posted:

TRIAL BY blinker STONE

Y'know, for all the talk of Lindsey in this chapter, where is she? I thought she was swimming along with the boat.

I'm still holding out hope that she got transported to Fun City along with everyone else and got changed in some horribly unexpected way.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

She got turned into a boat. WHAT A TWIST

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I hope she died.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
This Halloween background is pretty spooky. I feel pretty spooked right now.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Fingers, huh? Staying in pretty space is good for dancing, but these slow time walkers make frumple. No matter, this party too slippery to last, so we can go with happy campers to germinate

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 31, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Roger Explosion posted:

There are no skeletons though. Thank goodness, that would be too spooky.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

Fingers, huh? Staying in pretty space is good for dancing, but these slow time walkers make frumple. No matter, this party too slippery to last, so we can go with happy campers to germinate

They think they are *many robots*, but it is only *fingers*.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
oh hell yes, it's about to be on

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

What the last panel immediately made me think of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SESI19h4wDo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Roger Explosion posted:

Gonna go read the Mort Chapters to get in the proper Halloween mood.