Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Man I am totally getting the vibe that Lindsey is aware the kids sneak out every now and then and she's totally ok with it, just as long as Bud comes along to make sure they're not doing anything dangerous or stupid.
Bud just loves sneaking out.

This is probably true. Kids are gonna break the rules no matter what you do, so you may as well get them to break the rules in such a way that you can keep an eye on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Slime posted:

This is probably true. Kids are gonna break the rules no matter what you do, so you may as well get them to break the rules in such a way that you can keep an eye on them.

And Bud goes along with it because he agrees, is a very powerful psychic who can help prevent any mishaps, and totally loves sneaking out.

Snip snip.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Kismet posted:

First of all, I've seen tacky projects on Kickstarter and oh boy this would not even come close. But beyond that, it's an interesting idea. I wonder if there's a way Tom could use the 'rewards' element of Kickstarter to set up the equivalent of a very well paying run of sales and commissions and achieve the same result. I know I wouldn't mind paying well over the odds for - say - a badge and a thank you note, if the goal was helping to launch Gunnerkrigg to the next level.

I'd be happy to put in money for a Tom kickstarter project even if the reward is "we get 0.01% closer to Tom being able to draw comics for a living".

e:
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

That's a good idea. Or he could put up one of those side projects he's mentioned before. Like, if he gets to one year's salary we get the gaming comic or a series of GC short stories or something like that. Then putting in to the Kickstarter wouldn't be vastly different from just buying a comic, except we'd be buying it for the whole world.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 3, 2011

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

How about a reward of "four updates a week". Who wouldn't pay to see that?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Pester posted:

How about a reward of "four updates a week". Who wouldn't pay to see that?

I do not like it. For one we don't know if Tom would be able to handle 4 updates without a drop in quality (which is this comic's main asset) and two I've grown accustomed to the 3-at-a-time cliffhanger pace.

But I would love to see more halloween pinups.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Haha, nice pairings. Two normal couples and our heroines get married-crab-husband and ex-crazy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Haha, nice pairings. Two normal couples and our heroines get married-crab-husband and ex-crazy.

Kat's probably ok with yakkin' about electrical engineering even if the dude does have to be carried around in a bucket

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Edit:
gently caress, wrong thread.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

The epilogue of the whole comic will have Kat and Annie married to Jack and Bud and they will have kids named after all their dead childhood friends.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

The epilogue of the whole comic will have Kat and Annie married to Jack and Bud and they will have kids named after all their dead childhood friends.

So one of them will be named Mort?

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Calaveron posted:

Man I am totally getting the vibe that Lindsey is aware the kids sneak out every now and then and she's totally ok with it, just as long as Bud comes along to make sure they're not doing anything dangerous or stupid.
Bud just loves sneaking out.

Bud is the cool RA that won't write you up for being drunk as long as you aren't causing a ruckus and doesn't care if you smoke pot in your dorm room if you give him a hit

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I feel like Jack's apparent age is really bouncing around lately. Panel 3 Jack almost feels like he's in his 30s. Panel 4 looks closest to what I think he'd look like at that age.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
New Chapter.

Did uh...

Did Annie just propose to Jack?

cranky pomme
Dec 30, 2008

Ahh! Here he comes!
It's the collar pop. Gets all the ladies.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Who's sitting on the empty stool, I wonder?

The Lord of Hats posted:

I feel like Jack's apparent age is really bouncing around lately. Panel 3 Jack almost feels like he's in his 30s. Panel 4 looks closest to what I think he'd look like at that age.
Yeah, panel 6 Jack looks like a teacher. Guess having a spider monster sapping your life force does weird things to you.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Yeah, panel 6 Jack looks like a teacher. Guess having a spider monster sapping your life force does weird things to you.

It's the bags under his eyes, they just looked tired when he was a wide-eyed youth but as an adult they look a bit like wee wrinkles. Maybe Siddell should have used a bit of shading instead of lines?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Soylentbits posted:

Did uh...

Did Annie just propose to Jack?

I had completely forgotten about the blinker stone = marriage proposal thing until now.

I guess that clears any ambiguity about panel 5.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Tom Siddell posted:

Don't worry, that was only a Level 2 Collar Pop. Annie was completely safe the whole time.

I dunno, that's pretty excellent form for only level 2. Whoda thunk Jack might actually have some game?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

inthesto posted:

I had completely forgotten about the blinker stone = marriage proposal thing until now.

I'm not so sure that's she's proposing seeing as she's just letting him try it out. Now if she just gave it to him to keep them that's another story.

The kickstarter idea sounds good but I'd almost feel like that would make Tom's life decisions up to the internet. There is a paypal button under the Support the comic area that people can still donate funds.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

inthesto posted:

Margo's in for some heart-ache, then.
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=622

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

How did we make the jump from "couples gift" -> "marriage proposal"?? It's never been anything more than a thing that guys got for girls they liked afaik.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

kidcoelacanth posted:

How did we make the jump from "couples gift" -> "marriage proposal"?? It's never been anything more than a thing that guys got for girls they liked afaik.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=523

Yup, just between couples.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

wyoming posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=523

Yup, just between couples.

Whoops.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Okay, maybe I misremembered, but the point is that it's a romantic gesture.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003
She's just letting him borrow it, not giving it to him. She let Kat's mom use it one time too, and that wasn't a romantic gesture.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Elftor posted:

She's just letting him borrow it, not giving it to him. She let Kat's mom use it one time too, and that wasn't a romantic gesture.

You mean the lady at the jewelry store who handed me a ring to inspect isn't going to marry me?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Eh, it actually fits better as just a gift between couples, since Annie and Jack hitting it off seems to be what this chapter is building up towards.

Is anyone else kinda bothered by how the kids, particularly Jack, have visually aged? They're only like 13 or so and they seem to have shot up to late teens over the summer.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Puberty causes rapid physical changes in teenagers? You don't say.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Brannock posted:

Puberty causes rapid physical changes in teenagers? You don't say.

Look, this is the last time we saw Jack. Now he looks like my goddamn senior English teacher. There is a difference between puberty and looking like you're 30.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks about 16-17, and maybe he doesn't get enough sleep?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
There's also the fact that the drawing style for him changed a bit. His nose is now a full nose rather than a little u nose.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, yeah. There's a pretty big difference between the football head of chapter 1 and the art style now. And there's a distinct difference between pre-summer and post-summer art. But the change in style makes them feel a lot older than they should be. They wouldn't all uniformly look like they aged 3 years over the summer, and puberty rarely changes things quite that quickly anyway.

Not trying to bag on Tom, it's just something that has been bugging me since last chapter, and it's something that has been brought up a bunch since then.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
After seeing this it makes perfect sense how the Court could grow out of a single seed Bismuth.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

"Bismuth, a trivalent poor metal, resembles arsenic and antimony."

:aaaaa:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Wow. That makes a fairly compelling argument that the Court literally grew out of actual Bismuth and not weird magic Bismuth.

Well, semi-actual Bismuth anyway.

VVVV Goddammit.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 7, 2011

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Semi-actual bismuth? You mean it's all been bismuth as usual?

:v:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Fuego Fish posted:

You mean it's all been bismuth as usual?

I love you.

illie
Jan 13, 2011

I just caught up after not reading for a while so my commentary is behind, but...

aww, lookit 'em all growin' up :3:

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Fuego Fish posted:

Yessss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Fuego Fish posted:

:v:

This made me choke on my drink.