Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Just ordered a copy of the third book. I hope he's able to get the second reprinted at some point, because now I'm going to have the first and third but not the second. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Oneiros posted:

I'm thinking more along the lines of China's Chang'e. The rabbit fits.

Rabbits are associated a ton with the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, and it's referenced CONSTANTLY in everything because it's one of the first pseudo sci-fi stories in Mythology.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Just ordered a copy of the third book. I hope he's able to get the second reprinted at some point, because now I'm going to have the first and third but not the second. :(
This is why one pre-orders the instant the link appears on the Web site. :colbert:

Estimated delivery date: Aug. 16th :dance:

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Zorak posted:

If this is another reference to the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter I am going to be cross.

Just because I am really, really getting tired of the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.

Still, it'll probably move fairly fast so hey.

Welp. Blame Annie, she's the one that just had to get all scientific and poke things.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Zorak posted:

If this is another reference to the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter I am going to be cross.

Just because I am really, really getting tired of the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.

Still, it'll probably move fairly fast so hey.

I've got some news for you...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Annie should probably check under her thumb nail.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The current little subplot is very pretty :3:

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

UnoriginalMind posted:

I've got some news for you...

I hope that news is that it's Chang'e, and not the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I played Okami once. As that ends the extent of my knowledge of east Asian moon mythology I am looking forward to the rest of this story.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Was looking on Amazon at the third volume and it says that the None Edition is coming out in Sept. Is that by a different publisher? http://www.amazon.com/Gunnerkrigg-Court-Vol-3-Reason/dp/1936393239/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313426657&sr=8-2

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Revolver Bunker posted:

Was looking on Amazon at the third volume and it says that the None Edition is coming out in Sept. Is that by a different publisher? http://www.amazon.com/Gunnerkrigg-Court-Vol-3-Reason/dp/1936393239/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313426657&sr=8-2

I think the "None Edition" is just an error someone made. Sept. 13 date was the original release date and just hasn't been updated to reflect that it's actually out now.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I don't know what 'The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter' is, so either way this is all new and exciting to me.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Girls and rabbits and moons are a pretty common theme in mythology for some reason.

Chang'e (Chinese)
The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter (Japanese)
Jade Rabbit (Asia, and apparently also Mexican and Native American)
Tecciztecatl (Aztec)
Kaltes-Ekwa (Ugric)

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

It's because of the obvious parallel between the moon and menstruation. Also you can see a rabbit in the moon.

(The latter bit as explained in your third link?)

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Ahh. It's love at first theft. The best kind of love.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
She also totally walked off with his jacket.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Slime posted:

She also totally walked off with his jacket.

Well I'm guessing that the MP3 player was in the jacket, not that she has sticky fingers.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Found this on my laptop today, which I must have done around the first chapter of the new year, so I finished colouring it up.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I think you are confused. A coyote is a four-legged mammal of the canine family. That is a bird.

(Seriously, good job though.)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
If that's Chang'e, is Matt playing the roll of the archer now?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
That's rough, buddy.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Evidently Tom has a Tumblr now. Starts off with a nice piece of fan art.

Also, loving my copy of Volume 3 :neckbeard:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I finally got around to ordering some Gunnerkrigg books after binging through the archives a couple weeks ago. Vols. 1 and 3 are on their way to me. Here's hoping Vol.2 sees a return to print soon.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Aw, poor Paz.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
That was a bit harsh for Paz but better to nip it in the butt now then have it cascade down months from now.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Paz is pretty unlucky.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

inthesto posted:

Paz is pretty unlucky.

Maybe if she would stop talking about creepy ghost clowns. :colbert:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Plenty o' fish in the water Paz (no, don't look at those piranhas).

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008

Revolver Bunker posted:

That was a bit harsh for Paz but better to nip it in the butt now then have it cascade down months from now.

Perhaps it could be a subtle hint at how Annie should fess up to Kat for nicking her homework?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Plenty o' fish in the water Paz (no, don't look at those piranhas).

Or Bud. He's cool, but he's taken.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Revolver Bunker posted:

Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, but: did you make a pun, or did you mean "nip it in the bud"?

Because I think butt nipping would be pretty inappropriate at a time like this! Paz is confused enough I think!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Huntersoninski posted:

Not trying to be an rear end in a top hat, but: did you make a pun, or did you mean "nip it in the bud"?

Because I think butt nipping would be pretty inappropriate at a time like this! Paz is confused enough I think!

I don't think Revolver Bunker meant it to be a pun — my fiance and his family say that, too. I thought it was really weird when I heard it that way, but people do say that. Maybe it's a Midwestern US thing.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Tender Child Loins posted:

I don't think Revolver Bunker meant it to be a pun ? my fiance and his family say that, too. I thought it was really weird when I heard it that way, but people do say that. Maybe it's a Midwestern US thing.

I have a feeling that it's in a similar category as "for all intensive purposes".

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Regardless, in the context of the comic, there should be zero Bud-nipping. If anything, that little guy should go about, un-nipped.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Surely if there's any nipping to be done, Bud's going to be the one doing it. He's pretty much built for it.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Penguissimo posted:

I have a feeling that it's in a similar category as "for all intensive purposes".

Mistakes like this are a diamond dozen.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Just finished up Book Three, and I have to say it's pretty beautiful.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Kat and Paz: partners in heartbreak :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Smooth Kat. Real smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!