Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Given that she's hiding up in the ceiling of this ridiculously massive room, I really, really think it's hard to deny that Anthony is responsible for this. He decided where to put her, and unless he has absolutely no idea of what a kid's room should be like, he put her in this for a reason. Now we're seeing the reason; he separated Annie's fire elemental half, but can't completely get rid of it or it needs to be around in some fashion or something, so it's housed here, along with Annie, where it can be out of the way but still around for whatever reason it needs to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Someone linked something near this page a few pages back and combined with what's going on in the past few weeks, I don't think it's too wild a guess to suggest Surma's body (or a replacement) is waiting somewhere else in the court.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't think the elemental's hair has been cut, it looks more like a hair band in that page.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

The way it looks on the ceiling is like the lizard/fire thing from her hospital psychopomp flashback chapter.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Fire doesn't need happiness...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I am actually glad Annie has a roommate.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Yep that angry fire sure went up to that ceiling. That was a thing that happened. Tune in for the next thrilling page: 8 panels of the door swinging shut.

(I kid because I love, Tom)

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Given that she's hiding up in the ceiling of this ridiculously massive room, I really, really think it's hard to deny that Anthony is responsible for this. He decided where to put her, and unless he has absolutely no idea of what a kid's room should be like, he put her in this for a reason. Now we're seeing the reason; he separated Annie's fire elemental half, but can't completely get rid of it or it needs to be around in some fashion or something, so it's housed here, along with Annie, where it can be out of the way but still around for whatever reason it needs to be.

Annie and Surma couldn't bear to be apart for long before Surma died and the transfer was complete. I assume it would be painful to separate Annie from Fire-Wraith for long.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know, so far, I'm not seeing a downside to removing a magical parasite that eventually kills its host and then transfers to her child.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Only if she fucks some sketchy slab-faced rando dude tho later on in her adult life tho

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Fister Roboto posted:

You know, so far, I'm not seeing a downside to removing a magical parasite that eventually kills its host and then transfers to her child.

Well, in this case, the parasite is the child.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, in this case, the parasite is the child.

Then why is it on the ceiling???

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

pik_d posted:

Have you seen that episode of the old TV show Dinosaurs where :baby: gets sawed in half? Yeah.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 1, 2016

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

It's less that and more trying to cut away a core part of another person to make them into the person you think they should be instead of the person they truly are. Note how Annie ends up acting a lot more like Anthony under his care both in the early pages of the comic and now after he's reappeared.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Fister Roboto posted:

That's a surprise coming from you.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
For the folks who've read Traveller:

I got my copy in the mail last week, and read it literally while taking my autistic son to the beach so I could help him swim in the ocean. It was a little weird, considering what happens!

For those who haven't, you might want to get around to that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

idonotlikepeas posted:

For the folks who've read Traveller:

I got my copy in the mail last week, and read it literally while taking my autistic son to the beach so I could help him swim in the ocean. It was a little weird, considering what happens!

Noooo you'll get sand on it, ruining its value as a collector's item!

It's a beautiful book.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

pik_d posted:

Because heat rises...duh.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fister Roboto posted:

Fister Roboto supports lobotomies, you heard it here first

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JT Jag posted:

Fister Roboto supports lobotomies, you heard it here first

Annie's clearly suffering from hysteria.

Calm down Antimony, daddy's a doctor.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'd love to, but I'm waiting for the digital version to come around. Never really liked flimsy physical copies when it comes to comics, they just end up forgotten in the back of a shelf somewhere or ruined on the floor. :shrug:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'd love to, but I'm waiting for the digital version to come around. Never really liked flimsy physical copies when it comes to comics, they just end up forgotten in the back of a shelf somewhere or ruined on the floor. :shrug:

Same here, in all honesty. My bunny absolutely loves eating graphic novels/books, so I'd be worried about her consuming it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Find a comic shop and ask for a "magazine" bag and board. They'll cost like <$1. That's what all my comics are in. I'm guestamating on the size (assuming that Traveler is larger than standard comics), but magazine sized bags and board are one of the largest.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

It's not a parasite, it's a literal part of her self. It's as much an element of what makes Annie Annie as all the things her father took away from her, except those things are external.

The recent events are about the destruction of Annie's self in the pursuit of upholding it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

JuniperCake posted:

It's less that and more trying to cut away a core part of another person to make them into the person you think they should be instead of the person they truly are. Note how Annie ends up acting a lot more like Anthony under his care both in the early pages of the comic and now after he's reappeared.

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's not a parasite, it's a literal part of her self. It's as much an element of what makes Annie Annie as all the things her father took away from her, except those things are external.

The recent events are about the destruction of Annie's self in the pursuit of upholding it.

I'd agree with both of you if this thing that makes her the way she is wasn't also a death sentence.

e: OK after thinking about it that post was a little disingenuous. There is a downside to what happened in that it changed her personality. I believe that this is worth saving her life, however.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 4, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Isn't this kind of like some kind of magic lobotomy

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Acne Rain posted:

Isn't this kind of like some kind of magic lobotomy

Yes, and done by the parent, with only the parent's consent.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd agree with both of you if this thing that makes her the way she is wasn't also a death sentence.

e: OK after thinking about it that post was a little disingenuous. There is a downside to what happened in that it changed her personality. I believe that this is worth saving her life, however.

It's only a death sentence in as much as if she has children then she'll die as those children grow up. She's still like what, 17? Performing a lobotomy because someone might later die from brain cancer is a bit goofy. The death sentence was being born. Fundamentally changing someone's personality so that they die more conventionally when there is no other reason than you don't want them to die if they have children they haven't had yet is a weird thing.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
I don't believe that Anthony has Surma's body/clone/whatever waiting in the wings for a transfer/resurrection. I think that's a big leap.

I really still believe Anthony is obsessed with saving his daughter from the thing that killed his wife, and will kill his daughter if she dares to have a child of her own. He has probably been studying the elemental, and I wouldn't be surprised if he now knows more about it than anyone else. We know that the elemental part of Annie is strongly connected to her more intense emotions, particularly anger and love. Perhaps Anthony has realized that in order to get rid of this etheric creature, he has to isolate her from any strong emotions, even if that is love for her family and friends. He removed himself from her life. Now that he has finally returned, he has separated her from her 2 closest friends, and continued to keep away himself. He's keeping her away from her classmates and the forest. Anything that inspires joy, love, passion has been pulled from her life.

I think some are still looking way too hard for a pure villain in this comic. Annie isn't the only one with a mask, Anthony is a man who can barely express his own feelings, even to his closest friends and family. He's forcing himself to endure the pain of everything he's done to his daughter, and is still doing, in order to save her life. He's being a cold misguided bastard while he's doing it, but he probably feels like the ends justify the means, even if his daughter never forgives him.

For a comic nerd comparison, let's say Earth-6548421 Reed Richards loses Sue, and the same condition will kill Valeria in the future. You're gonna end up with one of those dark, scary-obsessed Reeds, with a problem he must solve at all costs. Nobody wants that.

On Traveller, I suspected it was going to be a story that hit me hard based on the cover alone. I was correct. I will say that while I love the over-sized format for these, and Tom's linework still looks great in black and white, I do wish we could see these side-stories in his increasingly beautiful colors. Since I ordered that, I gave in and ordered the Coyote keychain as well. I don't know if putting a trickster god in charge of my keys is a great idea, but we'll see.

US quarter for scale:

Madrox fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 4, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Paramemetic posted:

It's only a death sentence in as much as if she has children then she'll die as those children grow up. She's still like what, 17? Performing a lobotomy because someone might later die from brain cancer is a bit goofy. The death sentence was being born. Fundamentally changing someone's personality so that they die more conventionally when there is no other reason than you don't want them to die if they have children they haven't had yet is a weird thing.

Hmm, I guess you're right when you look at things that way. I still think that there are a lot of unanswered questions that confuse the issue. I don't think it's 100% certain that Tony did this, or that it's exactly like a lobotomy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 1, 2016

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Paramemetic posted:

It's only a death sentence in as much as if she has children then she'll die as those children grow up. She's still like what, 17?

14-15

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Fister Roboto posted:

Hmm, I guess you're right when you look at things that way. I still think that there are a lot of unanswered questions that confuse the issue. I don't think it's 100% certain that Tony did this, or that it's exactly like a lobotomy.

I agree with you there. True to form at this point we don't know at all why it's separated, just that it is. Could be any of the above or even multiple of the above options. I don't think we can assign any moral judgment at this point, as the only thing that seems clear is they are presently separate, and the elemental bit is in a sore mood.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
This is the first interesting development in the Why is Tony being a Butthead saga after months of him just dismantling Annies life and not answering questions about it. Just going to wait and see what this is.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Well I kinda view it more in that it's something like oxygen. You need it to live so getting rid of it means you die. That doesn't mean the oxygen is responsible for killing you but rather is just part of the environmental/operating conditions that you need to live. If she is this way because she is a fire elemental and she gets her life force or whatever from the fire within then fully separating her from it will kill her because that's what keeps her alive. Of course there is a lot we don't know so it might not be this simple.

Trying to find a work around which Anthony is doing isn't necessarily a bad thing in of itself but it's pretty bad to not care about Annie's thoughts or her consent on the issue. He just kinda treats her like an object which isn't a healthy way for a parent to care for a child. The early etheric surgery was definitely done without consent or notifying anyone who knew and cared about Annie. It's clear Anthony is involved though because otherwise the housing quarters make no sense. I mean look at Anthony's house, dude still knows what living quarters should look like and he's not a card carrying villain who is gonna put his daughter in an expensive looking giant all metal lab room just for fun.

He's probably been working on this research ever since he dumped Annie off at the school without a word years ago. What we don't know is the extent of Annie's involvement, though she would do whatever Anthony says in regards to herself so she can't really be called a free actor at this point. Unless she's playing some long con but I doubt her devotion is anything but sincere after her fight with Renard. Look at how hard it was for her to deceive her father in regards to Renard as well, and she only did so because her best friend of many years really pushed her on it.

My money is on the idea that while you can put distance between the fire elemental and Annie, you can't fully separate them because the fire elemental is Annie. Just like Surma was still able to survive in close proximity with her daughter for a time, it might be a similar situation here. In an attempt to do a more severe break, I bet something really bad will happen which will probably be when poo poo really goes down. Anthony's one sided obsession to fix Annie in a way that he failed to do with Surma is probably not going to lead to everything being all nice and good for everyone.

Can't wait to see where Tom takes this at any rate.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 4, 2015

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fister Roboto posted:

I think you have this backwards though. I get the impression that Annie/Surma etc don't really have the same kinds of souls as everyone else. Instead of sucking a new soul out of the ether that returns to the ether when they die, they have a single shared soul that transfers from parent to child. Tony hasn't pulled a parasite out of Annie, he's pulled out her life force and is wandering around pleased as punch with her nearly empty shell.

e: more like JerkCake :mad:

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 4, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fister Roboto posted:

Antimony isn't acting lobotomised. No-one called it that (except for the mind control theorists) until we saw the detached elemental. She is acting with massive self-restraint to maintain an appearance she believes will live up to her dad's standards. Earning parental respect is important to her, considering her familial history.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I think it's obvious that Tony's been off at Bolvangar refining ways to remove a daemon while allowing the body to remain alive. Tom's been secretly working to make His Dark Materials fan fiction.

Also I guess Charles Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden.

It's crossover fiction, Tom's a visionary in that regard.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think it's also possible that rather than severing her connection to the fire elemental has caused her to act cold and stoic like her father, it's the other way around: her behavior caused the connection to sever.

I think a lot of people might be overestimating what Tony is actually capable of. Take his approach to Renard. He's not running any crazy mad scientist experiments or anything like that like people thought he was. He sets him on a desk, tries to command him, and then gives up. All signs point to him being nearly inept when it comes to the aetheric.

The bone surgery thing might have been him, but I don't think that's an open and shut case. For all we know it could have been a manifestation of Annie's own fears or whatever that took the form of her dad. It was a weird chapter that is vastly open to interpretation.