Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

One Legged Cat posted:

Uh, I dunno about this interpretation. Diego is clearly a perfectly nice guy who had the singular misfortune to have his heart hijacked by one of those WHORES who couldn't figure out why the dumb jocks they chased after would always break their hearts, while a perfectly good man got pushed into the shadows because he refused to be a JERK like the others.

The only tragedy here is the disastrous state of shallow modern women.

Your logic is flawed, for Jeanne was a Victorian era woman! Or earlier, idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

SHISHKABOB posted:

IT WAS MODERN AT THE TIME SHUT UP

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tenebrais posted:

Diego is indisputably a more morally bad character than Anthony. Diego did what he did out of pure spite because Jeanne didn't love him. Even the worst interpretation of Anthony's actions has him just not caring about his daughter; he's not trying to hurt her for the sake of hurting her.

I could see him hurting his daughter to spite the elemental that killed his wife.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
New thought that popped into my head reading idonotlikepeas' post:

Whatever's going on with Annie and the Fire is supposed to be permanent, and fixing it will give her/everyone else some insight into how to help/free Jeanne.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tenebrais posted:

Diego is indisputably a more morally bad character than Anthony. Diego did what he did out of pure spite because Jeanne didn't love him. Even the worst interpretation of Anthony's actions has him just not caring about his daughter; he's not trying to hurt her for the sake of hurting her.

Although I personally don't believe this to be the case, it's possible to make an argument that he's trying to bring Surma back at Annie's expense, which is at least as evil as what Diego did.

The thing with Tony is that we have no idea what's going on inside that scarred noggin of his.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Although I personally don't believe this to be the case, it's possible to make an argument that he's trying to bring Surma back at Annie's expense, which is at least as evil as what Diego did.

The thing with Tony is that we have no idea what's going on inside that scarred noggin of his.

That's exactly the worst case scenario I mentioned. Hurting an innocent to achieve some goal is less evil than hurting an innocent out of spite.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

That's exactly the worst case scenario I mentioned. Hurting an innocent to achieve some goal is less evil than hurting an innocent out of spite.

Hurting your own daughter to go against your dead wife's wishes seems more horrible to me.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Lurdiak posted:

Hurting your own daughter to go against your dead wife's wishes seems more horrible to me.

Yes but you see, Tony loves Surma.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Lurdiak posted:

It's not. Diego literally subjected a woman to watching her lover be murdered and then sentenced her to eternal torment because she wouldn't touch his penis. There's practically nothing any character in the story can do to be worse than that. It's pure nihilistic destruction. Loving your wife enough to kill your daughter to bring her back, while a thing that is definitely not happening in the story on any level to begin with, is also a perfectly reasonable action for a crazy mad scientist to take. You love your wife more than your daughter, you think it'll work, fairly simple mad with grief logic. Just "The pretty girl doesn't like me, lets actually invent a hell to subject her to for all time"? Yeah, that's worse. That's so much worse.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That's a nice avatar.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Thank you, I'm quite proud of it myself.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I actually kind of agree with the red-text poster here. Tony's got plenty of potential reasons to want to do mad science to his daughter that aren't entirely 100% evil. We know very little about what was done, what the results are, or even how much of it Annie truly wanted or would have agreed to if it wasn't her father "asking". It looks like this is going to be more of an exposition-type chapter, which I am actually really looking forward to.

(That said, the surface-level reading of "Tony did a soul lobotomy on Annie without her voluntary consent" is pretty drat evil and I hope Tony either has good reasons or a good comeuppance)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tony is the hotter version of Mr. Freeze.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SHISHKABOB posted:

:spergin: Still modern!

"In contrast to the pre-modern era, Western civilization made a gradual transition from premodernity to modernity when scientific methods were developed which led many to believe that the use of science would lead to all knowledge, thus throwing back the shroud of myth under which pre-modern peoples lived. New information about the world was discovered via empirical observation, versus the historic use of reason and innate knowledge."

The Court itself is intrinsically modern.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Kantesu posted:

New thought that popped into my head reading idonotlikepeas' post:

Whatever's going on with Annie and the Fire is supposed to be permanent, and fixing it will give her/everyone else some insight into how to help/free Jeanne.

Antimony is done with Jeanne, at this point. Between the severing of almost all of her social connections, Anthony's parenting protocols and her near-complete disconnect with her etheric self, Jeanne is now way above what Annie could handle. And without Annie's psychopomp abilities, the group effort kinda falls apart.

Jeanne is never mentioned again, Annie becomes a robot like her dad. The comic ends with Annie leaving forever with her Father, Kat crying at her silhouette in the sunset, and Headmaster nodding in approval at the continued status quo.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jul 7, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Demiurge4 posted:

Tony is the hotter version of Mr. Freeze.
Literally.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hope we get a special comic of Kat playing MGS V. The one of her playing IV was great

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

blastron posted:

I actually kind of agree with the red-text poster here. Tony's got plenty of potential reasons to want to do mad science to his daughter that aren't entirely 100% evil. We know very little about what was done, what the results are, or even how much of it Annie truly wanted or would have agreed to if it wasn't her father "asking". It looks like this is going to be more of an exposition-type chapter, which I am actually really looking forward to.

(That said, the surface-level reading of "Tony did a soul lobotomy on Annie without her voluntary consent" is pretty drat evil and I hope Tony either has good reasons or a good comeuppance)
That's what I'm getting at. The best case scenario here is that he had good intentions when he tried to rip out his abandoned daughter's soul via remote non-consensual space bone surgery before showing up to finish the job in person while incidentally tearing down everything she'd built in his absence. There are equally plausible interpretations that are even worse. "Accidentally abusive social failure" is what counts as a win for Tony right now.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 7, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
annie seems frustrated

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This is normal, there's no problems.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Burn it Annie, BURN IT ALL.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Why's she mad at young Eglamore

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

She can't stand sepia tone.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Splicer posted:

That's what I'm getting at. The best case scenario here is that he had good intentions when he tried to rip out his abandoned daughter's soul via remote non-consensual space bone surgery before showing up to finish the job in person while incidentally tearing down everything she'd built in his absence. There are equally plausible interpretations that are even worse. "Accidentally abusive social failure" is what counts as a win for Tony right now.

Yeah, I still don't get why people are so eager to argue "well, he's not Diego or Hitler, that's gotta count for something, right?". The lightest reading here is "deadbeat parent non-intentionally abusing her daughter", the one hinted at is "deadbeat parent who RIPPED her extremely introverted daughter's essence out of her, setting her years back, and came back demanding absolute control over her life".

Even if his justification is "I don't want her to die", he's still a poo poo.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dienes posted:

I could see him hurting his daughter to spite the elemental that killed his wife.
his daughter is the elemental that killed his wife.

For that matter, his wife is the elemental that killed his wife.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
For all we and all the characters know, removing the Elemental part from Annie's body will kill her just like it killed Suma. Presumably Tony thinks that he knows better, but he hasn't told that to anybody except possibly Annie. So when Kat and Renard find out about what is going on they will think that Tony has gone full Diego.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Well, seeing how it reacted to the picture of Tony, Surma it ain't.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Dias posted:

Yeah, I still don't get why people are so eager to argue "well, he's not Diego or Hitler, that's gotta count for something, right?". The lightest reading here is "deadbeat parent non-intentionally abusing her daughter", the one hinted at is "deadbeat parent who RIPPED her extremely introverted daughter's essence out of her, setting her years back, and came back demanding absolute control over her life".

Even if his justification is "I don't want her to die", he's still a poo poo.

You uh. Kind of messed up the pronouns here a bit. Unless you have some headcanons I'm not aware of.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Fire Annie doesn't seem to like her dad as much as Human Annie does.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Tenebrais posted:

quote:

It's not. Diego literally subjected a woman to watching her lover be murdered and then sentenced her to eternal torment because she wouldn't touch his penis. There's practically nothing any character in the story can do to be worse than that. It's pure nihilistic destruction.

Actually no, that is absolutely not the case. The point of Diego and the Court's plan was to create a defence for the Court from the Woods. So it did achieve that goal. Diego's spite made Jeanne the victim, but otherwise it would have been someone else. It was never purely to torture Jeanne.

That's why the rest of the conspiracy went along with it.

Edit: Diego could hardly be blamed for the climate of fear and hatred in that time period that made creating murderghosts seem like a good idea to all but one of the Court leadership, and marked Jeanne out as solidly a traitor. He had worse reasons than the others, that is true. But does doing something hot-bloodedly, with a mind clouded by emotion, make it worse than a cold-blooded planned out act?

And honestly for all we know, creating the Jeanne-based defence system on the Annan Waters could well turn out to be significantly the lesser evil. The most positive possible interpretation of Diego's actions is that sacrificing Jeanne to seal off Gilitie Wood is the literal lynchpin on which the progress of modern technological civilisation rests, freed from the threat of trickster gods and all that they represent.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 8, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Freudian posted:

You uh. Kind of messed up the pronouns here a bit. Unless you have some headcanons I'm not aware of.

It happens when you rush a paragraph out before leaving the house. :shrug:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fangz posted:

Actually no, that is absolutely not the case. The point of Diego and the Court's plan was to create a defence for the Court from the Woods. So it did achieve that goal. Diego's spite made Jeanne the victim, but otherwise it would have been someone else. It was never purely to torture Jeanne.

Well we know very little about that time tbh, did they spell out so specifically that that was the plan? All we really know is that Steadman looks cool, and gently caress that drat dog.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Diego is described by Sir Young as the architect of the scheme, and Diego convinces them that it can only be done to Jeanne. The whole thing was his creation. The question is whether he sacrificed Jeanne to defend the Court or used defence of the Court to justify sacrificing Jeanne. He certainly seemed pretty happy to see he was hurting her.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
The moral of GC is that nerdy dudes are The Worst.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Luminous Obscurity posted:

The moral of GC is that nerdy dudes are The Worst.
And nerdy ladies are terrifying machine gods.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Fecha posted:

And nerdy ladies are terrifying machine gods.

I dunno, Angel Kat looks pretty neat to me.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Whole chapter is just going to be Fire Annie throwing a fit in this dumb room.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
There is no subtext here

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

There is no subtext here

No submarines at all, curiouser and curiouser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

She's angry that Humannie gets to hang out with her cool real dad and all she gets is a lousy picture. But seeing how this young fire lady behaves it seems like a wise decision to contain her until she gets her calm on.