Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

W don't know fully what happened in the past with Tony and Annie. Who knows what she could have done to wrong him.

"Hey Annie, your mother is tired maybe letter her rest a while. Here I got you a coke"

"No thanks, Dad, I prefer Pepsi"

"... very well"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It is pretty darn obvious, and has been ever since we've known that he had Annie learn to call him father instead of dad, that Anthony is not the kind of parent that would try to be their kid's best friend. That he's treating Annie different than he treats Donny does not mean he withholds affection from her, but that he displays it in a way he thinks is appropriate. That meant letting her know that what she did with her large-scale cheating was bad and that she should feel bad about it. It meant not sugar-coating it by telling her it's all gonna be alright anyway. That doesn't make him a monster, it makes him a tight-assed father, which has its pros and it has its cons.

Overall, I feel it's safe to say, Anthony Carver did nothing wrong.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

tbh Brinnie was being a creep.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Blackheart posted:

tbh Brinnie was being a creep.

I wish girls would act this sort of creepy with me :smith:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Good intentions don't make good deeds. I am a Tony apologist but he has done plenty wrong based on what we currently know.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

YF-23 posted:

It is pretty darn obvious, and has been ever since we've known that he had Annie learn to call him father instead of dad, that Anthony is not the kind of parent that would try to be their kid's best friend. That he's treating Annie different than he treats Donny does not mean he withholds affection from her, but that he displays it in a way he thinks is appropriate. That meant letting her know that what she did with her large-scale cheating was bad and that she should feel bad about it. It meant not sugar-coating it by telling her it's all gonna be alright anyway. That doesn't make him a monster, it makes him a tight-assed father, which has its pros and it has its cons.

Well, I can't say I really agree with him abandoning his daughter but at least he's trying to make things right.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well I guess only having one arm explains why Anthony isn't a very hands on parent, and why he isn't very handy with handling complex emotional problems.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Well, color me interested in how this develops. I want to know why Anthony is being such a tossbag and Donny seems to be looking to pull it from him.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
dad jokes

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I just noticed that Donny moves the chair immediately after the feng shui joke. Somehow made it funnier.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well I guess only having one arm explains why Anthony isn't a very hands on parent, and why he isn't very handy with handling complex emotional problems.
There's nothing right about Tony.

e: I guess that's why he left.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 30, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Splicer posted:

There's nothing right about Tony.

e: I guess that's why he left.

"Hey, Tony, are you sure you're all right?"

"No, but I am all left! ...Is this thing on?"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 1, 2016

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Did anyone make a joke using sinister already

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Blackheart posted:

Oh so we're doing latin poo poo now, homie

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Blackheart posted:

Gotta hand it to you, pointing out multiple-language puns isn't easy. Usually leaves me stumped.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I wonder if Tony will ever get a better prosthetic to regain some of his lost dexterity.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Hold on, hold on.

A new perspective just occurred to me, which would explain perfectly why Tony is apparently able to express emotion, yet express none of that to Annie.

He believes she hates him, and wants nothing to do with him.

Think about it from his perspective; he attempts to perform a delicate ether-surgery on his daughter to help her, which ends with an angry, crippling blow that's accompanied by, "Message from your little girl, mate!"

His career, his personal skill, and much of his value as a person is now crippled. The first thing he did after his wife's passing (or so goes my theory) is that he shot himself up into space on a desperate mission to stop the cycle; and in doing so, received a hateful, violent rebuke from his daughter, who apparently wanted none of his attentions.

It's not very hard to believe that Tony would interpret that as "She clearly hates me, so I should expect that when I return."

So here we have a man whose failure to make good on his wife's death has robbed him of his future, and the love of what remains of his family. What is there left for him to do?

My guess is at this point, he's convinced himself that if he can't do anything else, he is going to at least ensure she is raised right, even if she resents him for it. That would perfectly explain his close attention to her educational progress, but minus the whole "love" part of parenthood. Because he believes his daughter wants none of that from him.

It's just horribly tragic enough to be true.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Yesterday, I watched my son play some Transformers. War for Cybertron I think. Maybe Fall.

Whatever, he was playing multiplayer, team deathmatch, and some guy named AnthonyCarver was just /[destroying]/ everyone. Easily the best player in the game, and it wasn't even close.

He was a total monster.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

ConfusedUs posted:

Yesterday, I watched my son play some Transformers. War for Cybertron I think. Maybe Fall.

Whatever, he was playing multiplayer, team deathmatch, and some guy named AnthonyCarver was just /[destroying]/ everyone. Easily the best player in the game, and it wasn't even close.

He was a total monster.

So are you saying that Tony is more than meets the eye?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tarezax posted:

So are you saying that Tony is more than meets the eye?

Obviously he's saying he's a robot in disguise.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

neogeo0823 posted:

If only Surma had followed the student handbook

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

neogeo0823 posted:

Jones Tony is not a robot.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This thread is absolutely tip top lately

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

One Legged Cat posted:

Hold on, hold on.

It's just horribly tragic enough to be true.

Yeah, I think that's very possible. If he's experiencing shame from his failure to save Surma (in his eyes) or he fears what his daughter thinks of him, then that could explain why he finds it so difficult to be around Annie. Since we know how he acts when hes in difficult interpersonal situation it explains his behavior pretty well. If he feels that his daughter hates him now, that would make it even worse. Donnie he feels understands him and he is comfortable around him so those same barriers don't apply.

Also YF, I don't recall any part of the comic where Tony wanted Annie to call her Father instead of Dad, the only thing similar to that was when he said she had to call him Sir and not Father. But presumably that was a matter of classroom decorum to him, rather than something more significant than that. Though the fact that exchange happens in the middle of a bunch of public embarrassments for Annie, I'm sure the point of it was to show just how profound the disconnect was between them and how bad their relationship is right now. Hence Annie's complete breakdown just after all that.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I don't know about YF but it's always been an assumption of mine that Annie makes an effort to say "mother" and "father" rather than anything more familiar. In this flashback she stumbles saying "m...mother" and I always assumed she caught herself from saying "mummy". She's only used "mum" or "mummy" when she was upset and crying. She's only ever said "father" and also mentions he'd never call her Annie so there's some formality built into their relationship.

Whether he specifically taught her this or if she's just doing it to seem more mature (like whatever her deal with the makeup is), who knows.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

JuniperCake posted:

...the only thing similar to that was when he said she had to call him Sir and not Father. But presumably that was a matter of classroom decorum to him, rather than something more significant than that. Though the fact that exchange happens in the middle of a bunch of public embarrassments for Annie, I'm sure the point of it was to show just how profound the disconnect was between them and how bad their relationship is right now. Hence Annie's complete breakdown just after all that.

And moreover, if you apply the logic of Tony coming from a place of "Listen here you, you may not like me but I'm still going to make sure you're at least raised properly! You will call me sir, and stop hanging out with bad company (i.e. body-stealing demons) and behave! Is that understood?"

That exchange and the one following it about cheating in school and turning in her demon-doll, would make PERFECT SENSE. From his perspective, his out-of-control daughter has lashed out violently at a family member, is cheating in school and hanging around with very ill-reputed types.

She may not like him, but he's got to crack down if he's going to save his daughter's future! :smith:

One Legged Cat fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 31, 2015

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

All of these explanations for Tony's behavior still don't really explain how he thought it was proper to not tell his daughter he was returning from his 3-year absence (and making drastic moves to remedy her education) until she arrived at chemistry class to discover he was the teacher. That's not part of any "strict, formal father" stereotype I've ever seen.

God, the next few pages couldn't come fast enough.

EDIT: biology, not chemistry

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 31, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Ditocoaf posted:

All of these explanations for Tony's behavior still don't really explain how he thought it was proper to not tell his daughter he was returning from his 3-year absence (and making drastic moves to remedy her education) until she arrived at chemistry class to discover he was the teacher. That's not part of any "strict, formal father" stereotype I've ever seen.

God, the next few pages couldn't come fast enough.

That's because he's a strict, formal father and also a tremendous weirdo.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Niton posted:

That's because he's a strict, formal father and also a tremendous weirdo.

What are the odds someone would have a weirdo father at Lord Oddball's School for Assorted Exceptional Freaks and Oddjobs.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Big reveal is the school is a quarantine zone the rest of the world puts their weirdos in.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Exposition!

Now things are starting to get really interesting...

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Sweet! Now we finally get some answahahahaha.

Some vague hints about Zimmy and Gamma. I'm assuming the obvious Greek letter connection.

Did Tony use the "Omega device" for his ether surgery? I'm guessing that that's why Zimmy was able to mess with it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Maybe the surveillance is exactly why he couldn't contact her.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The surveillance raises the question of how much Anthony is playing a role.
Well, they apparently track students by putting something in their food, so it would seem psychotic levels of surveillance is the norm at the Court.

Also holy poo poo, the Omega Project? As in, "I am the Alpha and the Omega"?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tupperwarez posted:

Well, they apparently track students by putting something in their food, so it would seem psychotic levels of surveillance is the norm at the Court.

Also holy poo poo, the Omega Project? As in, "I am the Alpha and the Omega"?

Remember, Coyote does not lie and the court is "Man's attempt to become god."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh that clears up everything.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

NewMars posted:

Remember, Coyote does not lie and the court is "Man's attempt to become god."

Unless he was lying about not lying, which would totally be something Coyote would do because he's Coyote and he does whatever he darn well pleases.