Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

wdarkk posted:

I'm not sure you can make a conclusive statement about the angle the arrow was fired at. In any case they're already talking like Jeanne is dead.

That page you linked says that there was three hours between lowering Jeanne and the arrow being fired. This page seems to imply that the recent laser thingy that killed elf dude happened practically immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
There are two especially artful ways to lie. One is to tell the truth, but tell just enough to let the listener jump to the wrong conclusions. The other is to tell the truth, but tell it so unconvincingly that the listener believes you're lying.

I am pretty sure that Coyote is a master of both.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

By the way - what's the symbol on Parley's chest? It's there amidst the glow.

Her shirt had no designs on the front, so what the hell is it?

I totally didn't notice it until you pointed it out, but it's a heart. The :h: kind, not the fleshy ugly kind. It's easier to see on the earlier page with her glowing.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

I still can't see it :/ I checked earlier pages but didn't see it either.

from the page where it starts glowing

(hmm, I think the pointy bit at the bottom got harder to see when I added more jpeg compression)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Rei_ posted:

The one thing i kinda like about Wedensday's comic is that fact that they are really quite clearly TERRIFIED. These characters aren't really heroes, despite all their extra abilities and whatnot.. They're just curious children who want to do the right thing. I know it sounds kinda weird but to me it's more appealing that they are actually crying instead of being all 'Ghosts? Heh. No.'

That's not weird at all. Superhuman, emotionless characters are uninteresting.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Dodgeball posted:

Just a reminder that Mort is the poo poo. Carry on.

I randomly read a few pages from that link and I am just reminded that Kat is the poo poo.

:science:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Fecha posted:

Aw, Tea is ragging on himself again in the caption for the latest update. :smith:

With good reason! That football-shaped head haunts my dreams. . .

(seriously though Mr. Siddell, your art is fan-freaking-tastic in all respects other than that football-shaped head, even in the early chapters.)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

bokchoi posted:

Getting back on topic a bit, does anyone recognize the symbol in the light bulb above Kat's head on this page? http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=757

I expected it to be some alchemical symbol alongside Antimony and Bismuth, but I haven't been able to find anything.

It's the nose and mouth of a very happy B^U. Which I guess just makes it a ^U.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

IMJack posted:

Don't know what symbol it is, but it shows up on Kat on the last two treatise pics:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=560
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=295

It's a face!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

It doesn't look anything like either of those. For one thing, both of those things have flat bottoms and the symbol does not. :confused:

edit: VVV a wire antenna in the shape of a face, naturally VVV

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 11, 2010

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

If you want to insult them, remind everyone what "fan" is short for, and call them "fanatics", a word with a quite negative connotation.

When you say "the fen swarmed it," I think, "how can a swamp swarm anything? What is this guy talking about?"

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

"Golem" is practically the same word as "robot" anyway.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

"Magic" is practically the same word as "science" anyway.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Brownie posted:

Also why on Earth would the university let the parents have that much clout

the parents are the uni's source of money :ssh:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Annie is not to blame. Reynardine bombed the metaphorical gently caress out of Annie's Pearl Harbor when Annie was perfectly willing to stay neutral, and now he's got Annie's entire metaphorical navy all up in his poo poo, and now he acts all surprised when his metaphorical Hiroshima is reduced to a nuclear cinder. He only has himself to blame!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

The 19th Person posted:

How does Rey know this? Wasn't he locked up in the court before and during Surma's sickness?

I think it's being implied, especially from when Reynardine first met Annie and knew that Surma was dead, that this is some sort of hereditary thing, and Surma did the same thing to her mother (and so on).

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

We can trust Jones, because she's a robot not a robot.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

It's either EE-sen-grin or IH-sen-grin. Not really sure which. It certainly isn't a consonant y like you and Elysiume seem to think!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Elysiume posted:

I will defend my pronunciation to the death :argh:

IH-sen-grin seems plausible, but EE-sen-grin seems kind of odd.

I pronounce it IH-sen-grin in my head. I am pretty sure that's right. Usually when "y" is used as a vowel, it just is pronounced as if it was an i. EYE-sen-grin is also a possibility. ENGLISH :argh:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Ka0 posted:

Pretty sure it is illegal for a publisher to sell books without the author gaining a dime. Permissions and all that.

Well, he may have given the permissions for a flat sum with no royalties contract.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Yadoppsi posted:

In Jewish mythology, golems were controlled by a separate piece of clay carved in the shape of an eye. The golems body could be destroyed, but a Jewish mystic would simply make a new one and place the eye in it. Good as new.

I still like this explanation, because there's no other reason for her to be so heavy. But the question I have is: how does this:

idonotlikepeas posted:

Tom was once asked if Jones knew ancient Egyptian, and replied that she definitely did.

enter into it? I don't know much about Jewish mythology; were golems present during the Egyptian enslavement of Jews?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Tea-san posted:

I'm really thinking about stopping/getting rid of my Formspring. It really shouldn't be required reading for my comic.

From the quotes people post here, it seems like you're using the formspring to give out information that isn't readily available in the comic itself. You probably shouldn't do that. Just stop answering the questions that relate to unseen plot elements, e.g. what would happen if you pulled Coyote's rock-tooth, and save it for reminding people of what they have already seen and answering questions not relating to plot.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Annie is a phoenix.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Brownie posted:

Annie is a robot.

ChibiSoma posted:

She's going to BSoD

Jones Annie is not a robot.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Rincewind posted:

I'm gonna go with phoenix, since in addition to Surma burning out when Antimony is born, there's all the fire imagery associated with Antimony.

Yeah, that was pretty much my logic. Although something like half-phoenix-half-human is more likely, I think.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Fangz posted:

That said.... have we seen Surma show any profound etheric ability?

Surma was a medium. So, yes.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

"At the very least I think I would have to wear trousers."

not really, that avatar should be left textless.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I suspect the world outside the court, like the world outside Hogwarts in the Harry Potter series, doesn't make a lot of sense, for the same reasons.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Well, maybe "villain" is a strong word, but every story needs antagonists, and I'd say Coyote is acting like one of them right now!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I think EoRaptor was right; he gave up a significant power and doesn't want the rest of the forest to know he's been weakened.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

alright, everyone, on three. one, two, three,

D'AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I am amused that you said "if no one minds" but then only gave us (at most) ten minutes to respond. What if someone minds but isn't at their computer this instant? Mostly I am thinking of Tuxedo Ted, who has the other version. *shrug*

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I thought it was funny. And Gunnerkrigg DOES invite speculation of bestiality - it was kind of a pretty major plot point that Reynard was in love with Surma.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Rei_ posted:

Jones is future robot Kat from the future.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Talas posted:

That was when everyone found out she was a robot after all.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Jones is not a robot, and I will continue to remind everyone until this silliness is concluded :colbert:

(seriously, though, Annie said she learned about Jones from the forest, and what would the forest know about robots?)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

My interpretation is that's Annie throwing the boots in the water but who knows.

Annie is underwater. Kat just came out of an elevator.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Revolver Bunker posted:

On the latest comic, are those two eyes in the bottom left panel in the water?

I'm pretty sure those are just reflections of some sort of lamps. Also, they're on the opposite side of the catwalk as the splish. Also, that man is Eglamore.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Robot's obsession with Kat is a little weird, but I look forward to the eventual story payout.

It's not just Robot; all robots who meet her seem to have a similar opinion. See Chapter 25.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

DaveWoo posted:

The crab is Keyser Soze.

rosebud was his crab
the crab was a ghost all along
the crab dies at the end of disc 1
the crab is Luke's father
the crab shot J.R.
the killer was the crab in drag
solyent green is crab. . . it's crab!
the crab is the narrator's alter ego
samus is a crab
the planet of the crabs is future Earth

Okay i think that covers everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

loquacius posted:

Crabs killed Dumbledore?

Nooooo! You bitch! You bitch! I knew I forgot something important.