Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Jeanne needs to loving get over it, frankly.

Yeah I'm sure a ghost will have an easy time moving on, especially when it's implied the (clearly magical) arrow did something to gently caress her soul over forever!

I was trying to work out the timeline of this because I was kind of confused by it at first but it's actually outlined quite clearly in the "silent" Jeanne pages. The first few have the Court and the forest intermingling, then Coyote appears, divides the two with the river, then everything we saw in the Diego flashback happens. I know people were debating timeline stuff earlier so I thought I would share :shobon:

Parley has a pretty determined face in that last panel, I wonder if she's going to do something besides what Annie's said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Lots of people see their lovers murdered before their eyes and they don't turn into spectral beings of pure hatred. Jeanne is just being overly dramatic.

There's no way that was a normal arrow. If she was just a crazy ghost, the psychopomps could help her and guide her on to the world beyond, admittedly with some difficulty like they had for the boy in the hospital. Muut has said that she's beyond their reach completely. That's not something that happens normally with just lingering feelings of bitterness.

Not to mention the arrow was glowing and had an "odd weight," which I'm sure we'll find out more about in the future. I doubt this is the last we're going to see of Jeanne, no matter what Parley does here. We just now know her backstory so Annie can go about looking for a way to help her.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Kat's mom has no reason to lie about this. She's always proven fairly honest about anything relating to Surma or Renard, probably because Surma was her best friend. Why would she lie about Surma tricking Renard when it makes Surma look like a badguy?

I have to say I like this a lot, though, I'm a fan of moral greys.

EDIT: It IS possible Kat's mom doesn't have the full story, though.

It's also interesting that from what we know, Renard refused to take Coyote's powers until after Surma tricked him like this, and then he happily accepted the offer and ran off into the court. The court couldn't have known he wasn't interested, but they kind of hosed themselves on that one.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 1, 2010

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

The story from Anja also meshes with what Coyote said here about Renard being tricked by the court, so it's likely that it's the whole truth.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Oh, hooray for the new comic, I've been curious to know how Jack's been! Poor guy.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Annie also stole the photograph of her mother and friends from Kat's parents, something that even Renard commented on ("you'd steal from your friend's family?") so Annie being a bit less than absolutely trustworthy is nothing new.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Annie is about to explode with the force of a small nuclear bomb. That face. The angriest face.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Renard did kind of have that one coming, to be fair. I like how Annie is so visibly rattled, her appearance is usually so combed-down and perfect that seeing it mussed even a little makes a big statement about Annie's state of mind.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I doubt he knows just from the phrasing referring to Anthony. Renard says something like "what tricks he must have played to get Surma away from me," which implies that he definitely thought Surma was into him.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I think this is definitely justified, for sure, but I still think Annie's being a little bit cruel by not letting him crawl to the corner and think for a while. He's still under her control, it's not like he can leave.

I just hope she doesn't drive the stake in deeper, jesus. Justified or not, this doesn't need to get any messier :ohdear:

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Mike McC posted:

Oh god is some of this the same as the "Rose is Evil" stuff from the Homestuck thread?

Because it'd be just as terrible here as it is there.

God I sure hope not, observing that Annie is being deliberately mean is different from "she was brainwashed by the dark gods to do their evil bidding!" For one, observing that Annie's being cruel is accurate <:mad:>

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Also even if it was "what sort of man would abandon his daughter?" or something similarly sympathetic to Annie, she still probably would have gotten pissed off. Her dad is a known raw nerve with her and harping on the fact that he's not there is not a good plan at the moment.

EDIT: gently caress we have to wait until Monday to see what comes next?

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 26, 2010

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Welp there is pretty much no way this can possibly get any worse.

Jesus, Annie's face. The saddest face. The very, very saddest face.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

I'm guessing the chapter will play out thusly: Renard shuts himself off, Annie's left to cry, so when Kat and maybe her mom show up to see why she's late, there's a bit of a breakdown before Annie gets told the 'proper' way things happened.

While I can buy the rest of your post I really doubt this one, I don't know. I think even if Anja says "your mother willingly gave her life to make you stronger" Annie will still never forgive herself. She loved her mother very deeply and knowing she was responsible for Surma's death is obviously absolutely crushing her.

I do think things are more complicated than this, I just also think we're not going to find out how for a while. Stuff with Renard and Annie has been coming to a head for a long time and it just finally exploded, defusing it too fast would be doing the plot an injustice in my opinion.

EDIT: I think Annie is going to eventually ask for some more of the story from Coyote's end before we find out the whole truth.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 29, 2010

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Benagain posted:

Seriously, the more I look back at that the more firmly I'm convinced that he wasn't actually trying to kill her, he was setting the whole thing up to make it look like he was dead. The first time he sees Annie he comments on the toy, he knows Eglamore is watching and can/will block him, and he loudly yells about how he's been foiled and how he's going to die as he quietly backs into a toy that no one knows he can possess.

He basically acts like a super villain because that's what's expected of him, then quietly inserts himself somewhere where he can watch over and protect her. The whole "being her slave" bit was something he didn't predict.

Not only this, but Renard acts shocked whenever Annie mentions the attempt to kill her, and Coyote himself doesn't believe that was what was going on there. Renard probably put himself in there to watch over Annie out of respect for Surma, feeling he owed her that much since he couldn't save her.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, Renard's whole "Even I would have been better than that man" seems to imply he thinks Anthony dropped Annie because she indirectly killed Surma, and he wouldn't have done the same thing.

Whether this is actually why Anthony left Annie to her own devices is obviously unanswered, but Renard clearly thinks it is and I wouldn't doubt that Annie is going to jump to the same conclusion now that she knows the truth.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Man, it looks like Renard wishes he hadn't said that. I love the distorted frames here, too, they really work for this scene.

Why does this comic not update faster I don't have the strength of will to wait and read it in few-week chunks :(

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Detetsu posted:

or this is the summer that Annie spends in the forest with Coyote.

This was about what I was guessing, personally.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Tarezax posted:

I'm looking at Annie's blinker symbol now, and it does seem rather bird-like... Wings with an alchemical symbol in the center. The circle with a dot inside refers to the Sun and/or gold.

Pretty good shot of it here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=523

Not sure how relevant that is though, since Anja put up the same symbol when using Annie's stone.

That's the court's symbol. The alchemical symbol has been referred to by Jones (somewhere during the swordfighting, I think) as the symbol for bismuth, to serve as a reminder of the court's origin from etheric sciences.

EDIT: Here's the page. No dot in the middle, but the winged symbol has been used as the court's seal elsewhere, I'm pretty sure.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 1, 2010

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I'm sure someone has brought this up before, but flipping through from that page just now got me here, and looking up Surma's maiden name of "Stibnite" because it sounded familiar got me:

Wikipedia posted:

Stibnite, sometimes called antimonite, is a sulfide mineral with the formula Sb2S3. This soft grey material crystallizes in an orthorhombic space group. It is the most important source for the metalloid antimony. The abbreviation for antimony, Sb, is taken from stibnite.

It's just something neat I didn't remember and I forgot Surma's maiden name was ever brought up. I am most definitely not anything even approaching scientist, so I forgot about this.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 1, 2010

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah Pick I get that you hate Renard but Annie kind of yanked on a raw nerve, it's completely unsurprising that he exploded back at her in turn. This confrontation has really been coming for a long time, pretty much since Coyote told Annie that Renard loved Surma. Them exploding all over each other was bound to happen sometime.

Plus look at the guy, he loving knows he crossed a line. People say cruel poo poo they'll regret later all the time when they're angry, it's just what happens!

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Basically what Zooloo said. If she hadn't basically said "I'm not allowing you to turn away from this fight, I am going to force you to stand here and listen to me destroy your concept of what happened in your life," it'd be one thing. If Renard stuck around of his own volition and threw it at her as a last defense, I'd be much more upset at Renard's reaction. As it was, she forced him to stick around and endure her mockery of him, then he lashed out in response. Maybe not justifiably so, but you've got to remember that he has believed for years that Surma loved him. This is a big thing changing in his life.

Also it's been shown that Renard's behavior changes depending on his form (the mind is but a plaything of the body) and right now he's in child's plaything shape. Not a defense, sure, but maybe a bit of an explanation.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 2, 2010

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Wong Dongson posted:

Which people said he was a prick that aren't in love with Surma? Because actual number of people calling him a prick so far as I can recall [And I admit I could be leaving some people out, so literally tell me if there was someone else. Comic has been going for awhile, things get forgotten] is 'two'. Her ex, and the crazy fox spirit that murdered a guy to get close to her.

Jones has said it at the very least, even if it was to try and piss Annie off so she could "assess her character." Coyote was startled when Annie was said to be Anthony's daughter, which isn't an outright critique but sure implies a few things. Kat also seems unhappy with the situation but has too much tact to say anything about it ("You haven't heard from him?" "No, nothing." "... Well, I'm not leaving you here alone again.")

The thing is yeah there are plenty of possible explanations for why Anthony isn't there but we don't know what they are and the characters don't know what they are. How are the characters supposed to shrug this off and react to something that they don't and can't know? People do this in real life all the time, and not just people in love with someone who's already taken.

I mean obviously there are plenty of reasons Anthony could justifiably be gone, but people don't care about that poo poo in real life, either. Deadbeat dads with good reasons for being away (has a second job, job relocated him, is on a business trip to somewhere else, etc.) are still rampantly criticized as deadbeat dads regardless of why they're gone.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Time to go ask Coyote what he knows, I guess.

Jesus, the warped buildings. I love the art style of this entire part of the story.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Guava posted:

I had assumed that was Diego.

No, the robots said something about it here in the chapter with Jeanne's backstory. The tic-tocs have been around longer than the court itself, as far as anyone can figure, and definitely weren't made by Diego.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Psych posted:

Why is it everyone takes it as gospel that Coyote cannot lie? That's exactly the sort of thing that liars want you to believe about them.

Jones has said as much and she's proven pretty trustworthy, I think is where people get it. In any case, Coyote's not lied about anything yet that we know of, he's just been incredibly pragmatic with the truths he chooses to hand out, and is deliberately vague with ones he doesn't want to tell yet.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Welp that sure is a fire spike. Wonder if that was actually Eglamore, it looks like it is.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I'm fairly certain it's a coyote skull. Kind of an ominous image, considering where she's headed.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Hot Lead Allergy posted:

I'm not having any luck and I can't look right now, but have we seen both of Coyote's eyes in every encounter?

If it's not that, it's probably the crow/raven we saw in the brief vision of Jeanne. I will stick to this.

We at least saw both of them when he was juggling them for Annie (he "caught" one and then the other in each side of his face) and that was after Jones had already been introduced.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Tea-san posted:

I'm really thinking about stopping/getting rid of my Formspring. It really shouldn't be required reading for my comic.

This is a totally understandable sentiment and the author of MSPA has recently said something similar on, perhaps ironically, his own formspring -- that he doesn't want it to become the Homestuckpedia and that the comic should be understandable on its own merits.

Which, by the way, I think Gunnerkrigg does a great job of. I've never even looked at the formspring besides when people post the answers up here. It's fun to have a bit of extra mystery :)

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Oh man, I figured Coyote was at least aware of this from his phrasing when he was talking about Renard being trapped in the court ("Tricked! One of my own, tricked!") but apparently he wasn't aware Surma was a factor?

I wish it was Wednesday so we had another update :ohdear:

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Dec 27, 2010

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Bonster posted:

Interesting how many of the comments on the page think this is a creepy or 'shipper kind of thing.

At least they've finally stopped passing around the "Renard is Annie's real father" bullshit? Though I'm not sure if this is better or worse.

I really like that something has finally made Ysengrin realize Coyote is a dick. Ysengrin's major characteristic has been his unending loyalty toward Coyote, so the fact that he's outraged by this is pretty awesome. Annie, however, is having the absolute worst day ever, jesus christ.

Also I agree with Staggy that the trees warping themselves around Coyote is an awesome touch.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Renard-in-a-stolen-human-body being Annie's real dad has been a point of rampant fan speculation since long before I got into the comic (and I don't even remember how long ago that was). I thought they had given it up by now. :sigh:

Annie being a phoenix or something of the sort seems like the most logical assumption, but I'm not about to settle on it because Gunnerkrigg has surprised me so many times in the past that I fully expect it to do so again.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Annie why did you trust a trickster god? Now look what he's gone and done! I hope you're happy :(

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

It might end up being like the cut Jeanne gave her and it's only visible on Annie's spirit/blinker self.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Ysengrin is secretly the biggest softie in this entire comic :unsmith:

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Haven't we seen markings like the ones at Ysengrin's ear somewhere before in the comic? They look really familiar and it's driving me a little bit crazy.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah the comments are usually things like "Does that mean Reynard is actually Annie's dad?" "Is that woman" (who turned out to be Jones) "Gamma's mom?" "Is Brinnie actually Jones?" "Is Jones a robot?"

Really you can kind of tell what the comment sections are usually like by looking at some of the author notes under the comics (like "no, you don't know the kid Reynard possessed," "no, that is neither Jones nor Gamma's mother," and "Jones: Not A Robot shirts available now!")

The City Face comments are great though.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Tom also routinely has to say "that guy is Eglamore" in his author's notes, though maybe that's just a running joke. I came to Gunnerkrigg really late (after the MGS4 comics) but it's amazing how often he has to say "this totally obvious thing is like this."

I mean, drat, you expect some level of stupidity with fans, but the sheer level of "I STILL THINK REYNARDINE IS ANNIE'S REAL DAD" going on is pretty absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I didn't get the blackberry pun for a minute until I looked at the comments and saw mention of models, then everything clicked for me and I think I let out an audible "ohhhhhh."

At least I'm in good company ... right? :ohdear: