Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

M.c.P posted:

To be quite honest I would have been more comfortable with angry-bitchy Kat than forcefully apathetic Kat. This just seems so... Off for her.

It does, but it also makes a lot of sense for the age she is. I mean, look at her, all teenager-lookin'. I wouldn't be surprised at all if both the girls had gone through pretty drastic personality changes over the summer, and continue to go through more over the next couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Annie please stop trying to incite a robot uprising.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I really really do like how they just change hair and clothes between stories. Just thought I'd mention that.

It can't be too fun drawing the kids in the same uniform 90% of the time. And yeah, little things like that do a lot for the immersion.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Please tell me the background just changed recently, and I'm not that oblivious. Either way, I like it, it's pretty!

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Guessing it actually sends Ysengrim off the deep end when they take Shadow 2 back to the forest, Annie refuses to tell him about the sword, and he assumes the Court just came up with a weapon to kill forest creatures.

Nah, the court can already do that. Remember Eglamore's sword?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

"@gunnerkrigg posted:

Look at this electron microscope picture of a sea worm: http://twitpic.com/7o3zmj

This chapter (chpt 36) has been the most fun to draw.

Hoping these two tweets are related. :allears:

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Fangz posted:

I don't really think the Court is all that paranoid about Gillitie Woods, at least not recently. They seem pretty confident in their protection from Coyote, and generally direct action by the woods have been rare and pretty overt.

I suspect the house structure is more:

Thornhill = Apparently entirely normal.
Foley = Weird, but not really dangerous. Probably should be kept out of public exposure for their own protection.
Queslett = Fairly dangerous if powers misused.
Chester = Massively dangerous poo poo. Potential destroyers of the world.

Eh, this page seems to support MikeJF's interpretation better. Though I wouldn't be surprised if increasing aptitude/weirdness corresponded with increasing danger in the Gunnerkrigg world.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

I think this one's taken - I saw someone posting with it recently.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

I was trying to animate the second one a while ago, but I'm bad at animation and couldn't get the file size small enough.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Kgummy posted:

I think Esme meant an animation that goes up on the same page, showing ghost Jeanne with her sword in the heart, rather than showing the golem-robot heart.

Yeah, but that's the one IAmYourHeart wanted. Mine was just for fun :)

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Sky Watcher and the Angel (25) is the best chapter. That's really all there is to say about it.
No argument here.

For second favorite, I'd have to choose The Coward Heart. One of the most intense chapters in the comic. I also have a soft spot for A Handful of Dirt, if only because that's where I really started enjoying the art.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Coyote's whole deal reminds me of the themes that Neil Gaiman uses in American Gods and Anansi Boys. I like it, and I hope we learn more about it in time.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Well, I finally got around to reading this thing in the past two days. I cannot say I am disappointed in the least, and cannot for the life of me figure out why I didn't start reading it sooner. I think I will wait a bit, but this might also justify changing avatars too

Quick 'n dirty...

The worst socioeconomic system :smith:

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Bitchtits McGee posted:

poo poo, you're right. Unless your first guess is correct, that pretty much torpedoes my "headpigeon is City Face's way of saying 'thank you'" idea.

Actually, wouldn't it have to be? Zimmy and Kat have encountered each other since the tree, certainly... have they met since Kat rescued 'Face, though?

"the gunnerkrigg formspring posted:

quote:

Is the pigeon on Kat's head new to this chapter? I don't remember it from before...
It is the pigeon that Kat found in the Bad Start chapter.
So it looks like it's the same pigeon, if only in a metaphorical sense.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Huh, this Zimmy can't see the pigeon on Kat's head. I wonder why.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Man Whore posted:

EDIT-I remember seeing a portrait or painting like this before but hell if I can remember it or who painted it.

It kind of reminded me of this guy:

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Does the big guy have some kind of faint scar/scratch under his left eye in this chapter or is it something about the art I'm not getting?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It was there before when he had the full getup on too, I think it's facepaint.

EDIT: no, wait, it's there when he doesn't have it on either. I think it's just a scar.

Oh yeah, I never noticed it before but looking back I guess it was there all along. Never mind!

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Just at a glance, it looks like it's been on his character art since Coyote Stories.

To be definite, I'd better go re-read the whole archives. Just in case.

Hahahaha, of course I was already on it. Oh well, I didn't need to sleep tonight anyway. The first instance I found was in Medium Beginning: here. So I guess he got it over summer vacation?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

ATP_Power posted:

Oh poo poo, looks like Tom's read Blindsight.

I came here to say this. Jones is a space vampire!

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Blindsight: Eh, intellect wasn't a disease in Blindsight. Just the opposite. Intellect was fine. Consciousness was not. Intellect without consciousness was what the aliens/vampires were.

Interesting that Coyote sees human intellect, our defining factor, as a disease and yet it's gotta be that which makes him love us so much.

If I remember Blindsight correctly: The things that Coyote describes (seeing symbolism in things etc.) were used in the book as precursors to or symptoms of consciousness, whereas pure intellect would just perceive the world as it is. So even if he's not using the same word, it looks like more or less the same idea to me.

I guess that this page might explain why Coyote describes the Court's scientific endeavors as man's attempt to become God. They're trying to see nature for what it is, to strip away the meaning that their minds have invested in it, and in doing so to strip away or control the power of creatures like Coyote who live off of that meaning.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Hah, I completely missed the significance of Jones calling the old guy "master Samuel" on Monday. Not that it's a surprise that she's been around longer than he has at this point, but that was a dead giveaway that she'd known him as a kid.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Brownie posted:

I'm calling it now, this is just a nightmare of Shadow's/Robot's/Kat's. (I never get to call things :smith:)

I have to agree with this. I'm getting a really strong dream sequence vibe here. Have we even seen other S-13 models around the Court before?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Pretty cool trick Shadow's got there.

AzMiLion posted:

Is this the guy from the kat/robot/angel chapter? I can't remember where he's from.
That's Eglamore.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

:aaa: I got avatared! Thanks av fairy!

And Renard's expression as Kat messes with the touchpad is pretty cute :3:

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

I know it's been said over and over, but this comic sure has been beautiful lately.

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 12, 2013

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Ghost Party posted:

I really want Kat to get with Paz if only because Paz would appear more often. I really like her character and wish to see more! But I have a feeling it's not going to work out.

This for sure. Paz seems really smart and more grounded than the other main characters - see this chapter. I think she'd be a good foil to them.

And also this is all way too cute, Kat had better be nice, etc. etc. :3:

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

cultureulterior posted:

I just realized something:
Compare Paz's hairstyle here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=756 and Kat's here: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=901
Kat essentially copied Paz's hairstyle- maybe she liked how it looked...

Those hairstyles aren't similar at all. Paz is sporting a very short bob, like this, whereas Kat has a kind of pixie type thing going on, a bit like this.

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 26, 2013

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Buttass posted:

Through scheming, ill-tempered pettiness, and a general inclination to poo poo in the cereal of anyone who disagrees with you.

I personally am still convinced that Coyote didn't have "make fire head girl my medium" as a key step in his plan when he waltzed into the Court that day; he planned to welcome Annie as the Court's medium to the forest and everyone would go for hush puppies ("This time I promise they actually will. Hahaha!"). When the headmaster chose Smitty instead he realizes, look at this, stuffy old Llanwellyn has a problem with fire head girl! So obviously the correct response is to undermine him in flamboyant fashion, because it would be really, really funny, and when you're a trickster god even the most entrenched of long cons is flexible enough to be rearranged around humiliating your foes.

And I'm not sure that the headmaster, and maybe even Jones, didn't mean for exactly this to happen. The Court has way more control over Annie than they would have had over any other forest medium.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Pardot posted:

I was going through the commentary videos, and in the video for chapter 13 he points out that something is written on the desk but I can't make it out. Does anyone know what it says?

I just saw that video too. I've got 'Spinach & bean land'. Or 'If i??? & began hand (head?)'.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Huh, I didn't see the bubble as coming from off camera at all - thought it was just the robot on the bottom right. The bubble doesn't need a tail because it's superimposed over him.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

This has got to be a dream. At least, the empty word bubbles perfectly evoke that dream thing where you know that people are saying important things all around you but you can't catch any of it.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Don't forget that up until this point Annie loved and trusted her father. I don't think she'd dream of him acting like that.

From a ways back, but it's worthwhile to note that the chapter after that one saw Ysengrin, another person who Annie trusted and loved, turning on her and trying to kill her. She even mentioned at some point that it's been kind of a pattern in her life. So it's understandable that even if she still trusts Anthony, she would have subconscious anxiety about him.

And I don't think this is "too long" for a dream sequence. Yeah, with three times per week updates it's a little maddening, but so far it's just three pages. Gunnerkrigg Court has always worked better from an archive reader's point of view.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

So I've been pretty checked out from the comic for a while, but decided that I want to finish up my collection of the books since it seems like things are starting to wrap up. What's the deal with Volume 5? Did it just have a really limited run in hardcover and go completely out of print? I guess I'd rather have it in paperback than nothing, but it's weird that it's the only volume that doesn't seem to be available.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

So I used to love Gunnerkrigg Court but kinda stopped following it, uh, a year? two? ago. It was around the time that Annie got split in two, I wasn't really feeling where the plot was going and just forgot to keep checking in on it at some point. I was thinking about catching up with it, but skimming the last couple pages of this discussion it seems like things have only gone downhill since then. Is it worth my time to catch up with the comic, or should I keep the good memories of it that I have and make up my own ending?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

drat, not gonna lie I was hoping for different answers, for the sake of how much I enjoyed the comic in the past and how much potential it had :( Sounds like I’ll be giving it a pass unless morbid curiosity gets the better of me. Thanks everyone.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Against everyone’s advice I’ve been skimming some of the recent pages as they come out, and my main takeaway is how much the art has devolved over time. Look at some of the old pages like that one of the dead robots linked last page and it barely looks like the same comic :(

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

isasphere posted:

I genuinely did not mind the football head era, that style had its charm.

Yeah this. It was stylized, but a consistent, recognizable style. Everything looks so generic and flat now, and the faces have lost all their character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

This is a good page. Not a complaint, but it's hard for me to tell here whether the perspective is weirdly skewed, or Annie is a giant, or those are tiny replicas of the Monument Valley rock formations on the ground. I will accept any of the above answers without complaint.