Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
This thread made me check the comic out and I got to say, thank you. It's great.

The current comics aren't just sad for the sake of being sad. It's sad because we're observing two characters maturing in two different directions. It's real, tangible, emotional character development! In a webcomic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Who the gently caress designed this dorm

Bloody Stupid Johnson strikes again!

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Haledjian posted:

I wonder if Lindsey is a dude or a lady crab.

There's no way to know yet, since we haven't seen Lindsey's underside.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Parahexavoctal posted:

And what are her 15 not-eyes if they're not eyes?

Probably just ocelli, which are like not-eyes that perceive light and the lack thereof, and can't distinguish forms. Some insects have them.

What worries me the most is the 47 eyes. Lindsey has asymmetric eyes :stare:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

McGravin posted:

You beat me, but I've got examples in nature!

The tuatara is a lizard with a third "eye" in the center of the top of its head, and opabinia is an extinct animal from the Cambrian period that had five eyes. There are also plenty of animals that have symmetries other than bilateral symmetry, although that's rare for things more complex than jellyfish or echinoderms.

A bunch of insects have odd numbers of ocelli, with one being situated along the line of symmetry - but I've never seen eyes, proper eyes, behaving this way. Just looked it up and apparently a bunch of animals, notably reptiles, have parietal eyes. The tuatara has a well-developed one, with lens and retina, but in most other species it serves more-or-less the same functions as the ocelli.

One wonders what in the ever-loving hell happened in the evolutionary history of Lindsey's species to leave it with so many visual organs.

(I just realized this is a really nerdy subject, but I feel this is an appropriate thread to talk :eng101:)

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

It's like Tom is always completely self-aware, and it is beautiful.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

This is a photograph from the National Geographic website (complete page is here). It's just a picture of Central Park in New York city... but it does remind me of something, don't you agree?

Goes to show how fantastic the real world can be.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Boxman posted:

This comes up in comics a lot. See also dc comics, where you have someone who is literally an angel from god who can tell you all about heaven and one of the smartest men in the world
Is an atheist.

For kat, though, didn't she express her belief that magic is just science we haven't explained? That seems (relatively) reasonable.

It also works in reverse: Annie has the magical point of view and the first comment she makes is pointing out that maybe there's magic involved with Kat's science.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Dodgeball posted:

It's either:
Fiery explosion
-or-
Humorous Anti-Climax

Just like real life, really.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

This chapter is highly adorable.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

nothings posted:

Paz is the only other one present (I think) with no romantic prospects, so maybe it's just seeing her as a comrade-at-arms. But yeah, multiple possible interpretations; I came here explicitly to see how other people read it.

Kat wakes up not really realizing she'd slept, wondering what's going on at the gathering; looks at nearest person, Paz, who is sound asleep. Looks around at what catches her eye is Annie and Jack hugging, they were obviously having some Serious Talk and she has nothing to do with it and doesn't want anything to do with it. She's bored and there's nothing to do so she leans back and closes her eyes.

This comic is frightening. I can just feel my teenage self going through the motions and feelings.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Bud's etheric form is a lobster with a lot fewer legs than a lobster.

Fun fact: Tom absolutely doesn't care about the biological accuracy of his creatures' body plan. And that's fine.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Tea-san posted:

The ten legs a lobster has include the two large front claws, which Bud also has. Add to that the two swimming legs (which are not the same as a lobster's swimmerets), and Bud has 12 legs. I based Bud's species more on eurypterids and merostomata than crustaceans (though he clearly has a crab face, because those are cuter).

Lindsey, though, she has a crap ton of legs, but we'll never really see her whole body. She's meant to be kind of scary looking, so her design was less conservative than Bud's.

:stare:

If there was one thing missing for me to really appreciate this comic, it was the knowledge that the author does biological research. That's incredible, thank you.

I was pretty heavily sleep deprived when I made that first post. Lobsters are indeed part of a group called Decapoda and have 10 legs. What I felt was missing was actually the bunch of other conspicuous appendices that don't show too much in Bud because he's got a crab head.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

They just yanked her out? That seems... not safe.

Also,

Nondevor posted:

"I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature."

Finally found an avatar I can get behind!

Now the quest for the five dollars I really shouldn't spend on internet forums.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

DekeThornton posted:

Indeed! Thank you mysterious avatar benefactor. That really is amazingly generous. I wish I could repay it somehow. :)

Likewise. You're brilliant, thank you very much!

edit: I even got a link :3:

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 14, 2012

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Wili posted:

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttpppppppttthhbbbbbttppppppbbbbtttthhhhhttpppppppttthhbbbbbttpppp

It's undulating on its own :stare:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Microsatellites is also the name used to describe some regions of non-coding DNA that are extremely variable and prone to mutation. Being so variable, they're widely used in population genetics and other fields where you use DNA to discriminate very close relationships. Like that of father and daughter.

The comic's use probably has nothing to do with it, but still. :3:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Fargo Fukes posted:

First being annoyed at the faerie derail for taking us away from the orbital mechanics chat, now a discussion on the inner workings of satellites. Gunnerkrigg fans are an odd bunch. Hopefully we can mirror the comic in being equally split between hardcore technophiles and ardent creatives.

These things aren't mutually exclusive :colbert:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I read Coyote as a regular person who's really delighted and amused at, like, everything. Never any snide or sarcasm.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

All that's certain is that we know next to nothing about Donald, and I'm definitely curious to see how the conversation with Annie goes. We have been getting small hints that he may be pretty badass, and now I want to see exactly how.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Luminous Obscurity posted:

It's been going back and forth all day. It's going to be a photo finish.

"Error establishing a database connection" :ohdear:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Ya know, it's interesting that Ysengrin hates humans so much considering his tree body makes him closer to humans than anyone else in the forest. Even the shadowmen.

It completely fits, though. To gain more power, his original body (which he is probably proud of) grows weaker while he starts to seriously depend on a human-like body which he probably despises. I'd say it's one of the main reasons he's so drat bitter.

The problem with Coyote and his gifts is that he has a sense of humour.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

As with all other things in this comic, I think it's a bit too simplistic to say it has a theme of "magic versus technology". That's what it looks like at first glance, but that's way too... banal, too easy of a symbolic leap. So far pretty much everything in this comic has way more layers than what we first thought. From Jeanne to the robots to Ysengrim, Tom never takes the easy way out. Putting "nature" and "science" on opposing sides and making them duke it out is an easy way out in my opinion.

We know for sure the Court is filled to the brim with etheric phenomena, but they're not obviously apparent: we only know about them because we get the story from the point of view of a Court resident. We know next to nothing about the specific things that go on inside the forest, and who is to say they're not using technology and scientific reasoning over there as well? We know the top echelon of the Forest despises it, but the Headmaster despises etheric science too.

I like to think the chief conflict in Gunnerkrigg Court is simply the Forest versus the Court, no overt symbolism. The players on both sides are different as well as their resources.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I think Kat's psycho-projecting mostly the same way as Zimmy usually does. She's curious about Annie's time in the forest and wonders if she and Kamlen had anything going, and also she's conflicted about girls since the talk with Paz. This is manifesting outwardly right now. The mind-pidgeon is also a sign that her head is overflowing.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'm sorry everything else, but this is the best comic.

That is such a powerful page, both in technique and in narrative!

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Coyote is Ysengrin's Tyler Durden :catstare:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Ysengrin isn't a god, he's just a folklore character. Coyote is the only god in the forest.

Ysengrin (and his wife Hersent) was typically the butt of all the jokes and tricks pulled by Renard, so of course the word "funny" wouldn't appeal to him much. Fun is pain and humiliation in all the stories humans have told about Ysengrin.

Which would be another reason for disliking the idea of having been born out of story. Ysengrin's fate and raison d'être, in that interpretation, really is that of being the universal buttmonkey. The one who gets tricked, maimed, mugged, beaten, cuckholded, and ridiculed with every new chapter.

I think you might be on to something here. Ysengrin didn't just think Annie disrespectful, he downright snapped and took it very personally as an affront against him as soon as the word 'funny' was mentioned.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I can't scour the archives right now, have we ever seen what is that wrapped thing on Jimmy Jim's back?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Phy posted:

If Tom had to replan Gunnerkrigg with every new hypothesis posted on a forum somewhere, he'd be writing Peanuts by now.

He doesn't need to, GC always takes us in a completely unexpected direction or, at most, the expected direction but in the most unexpected way

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

OneTwentySix posted:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=585 (mentions Steadman in the next page).

Just a crazy random theory. Still doesn't explain WHAT Jones is.

A few pages onward, Parley has a Samus Aran poster on her wall :3:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Jones is the Power of Stability.

Wait, maybe she's just a lady who liked rocks so much she chose to be one. Like that one guy in Sandman who thinks dying's for chumps and decides not to do it.
In all seriousness, I'm hoping Jones is something completely unexpected, it'd make me so happy.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 3, 2012

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Pester posted:

You may be onto something there. (Also, she's one to talk.)

I just realized Eggie's desperate retreat in the next page might not just be comic relief undressing a female student, but also him remembering Surma. Creepy :stare:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Even if her "real name" was Elizabeth, I rather like the idea of Jones being once known as the Wandering Eye of Sir Samuel.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Okay, so the repeating pattern here is she meets a boy in his childhood, and seems to stay with them for their whole lives. And then she takes some aspect of their name when they die I guess.

Are you saying this is all leading up to

Jimmy Jones Jims

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Tom made a new print and is apparently taking it to Thought Bubble in november.

I don't think those are real skulls :ohdear:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

pandaK posted:

I'd heard that the current level of intelligence showed up in the Egyptian times.

I'd like a source for that if you have one. That is very, very unlikely unless the evolution of the human brain is so rapid we could track it as it happens. That isn't anywhere close to happening, as far as I know.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I am so happy to have experienced the last pages of the comic and the thread in real time :allears:

You're all great.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

This entire chapter is all sorts of astonishing, but somehow the weirdest thing yet is today's comment by Tom.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Conot posted:

But if we assume Jones is a human creation, who imagined her? No one outside the Court knows her true nature, and even then, not very many. How many believers does it take to make a Jones?

Okay, picture now the formation of the oceans. Or the dinosaurs in their plains and jungles. Now think about the first humans, walking the earth. Your mind forms an image, a picture. Now, tell me: when you picture a scene like that, who's the one watching? Whose perspective are you seeing things from? That's Jones.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I don't get it; you guys are sating that Annie speaking a secondary language to communicate with Gamma is a narrative cop-out? It doesn't look that way to me. The Polish hasn't resolved any story issues, so it's not that important narratively. I'd be really sad if this thread started cranking out timelines to see if Annie learning Polish is verisimilitudinous enough. I thought we were better than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Van Kraken posted:

Looking back at when they first bust Robot out, he has the Bismuth symbol on his chip. We see it again later in the same chapter, but do we ever see any other robot's cpu for comparison?
The thing about Gunnerkrigg links making you read entire previous chapters is that this comic is really, really smart about its foreshadowing.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=221

:stare: