Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I can't find a reference for it at the moment, but I'm fairly sure someone asked him this question on formspring or in the forum and he said he doesn't change things based on fan guesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Someone on the GC forums had the idea that she might be Galatea (the statue carved by Pygmalion in Greek mythology which came to life), which has a certain amount of attraction.

GC fans are prone to overanalysis because the story rewards careful examination. People can look at past events and see the seeds of current storylines very easily. That means that the current storylines likely contain the seeds of future ones. Unfortunately, that also means that it's easy to jump on every little detail because it /might/ turn out to be something important later. I think most of us have been guilty of that at one time or another.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Panel 5: pure, unadulterated :argh:

Between this and the last strip, it almost seems like she's doing it on purpose.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Brannock posted:

I'm clearly overthinking it, but why would Parley need Smitty's assistance if she can already teleport with "unerring accuracy"?

Might help prevent them from getting caught. Hell, if you were going to play a prank on someone, there are probably a dozen reasons why having someone along who could distort probability would probably be the best possible thing.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I think she's unhappy that everyone apparently loves her mom and hates her dad. She's tired of being compared to her mom (and has also found out recently that her mom isn't the paragon of wonderfulness that everyone thought she was). At least from her mode of speech, it seems as if she takes after her dad too, but nobody ever says "wow, you really are his kid". No, they just talk poo poo about him. Not always undeservedly, but that's not always going to be the first thing you think of when you're a kid. (Or even as an adult.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Ka0 posted:

I wish Renard had the option to not tell Annie yet just to mess her up but in that form he is obligued to comply.

No, he isn't.

But I want him to tell her anyway, because otherwise WE don't get to find out.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

dumb brunette posted:

Jones has said as much and she's proven pretty trustworthy, I think is where people get it. In any case, Coyote's not lied about anything yet that we know of, he's just been incredibly pragmatic with the truths he chooses to hand out, and is deliberately vague with ones he doesn't want to tell yet.

What Jones actually said is that he wasn't a liar, not that he was completely incapable of lying. Not being a liar just means he doesn't lie habitually.

That said, he does seem to be compelled to keep his word, or at least Anja believes that he is. (Otherwise, why would his promise to leave the Court alone mean anything?) So maybe he really is somehow mystically compelled to tell the truth.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Ka0 posted:

Pretty sure Anthony knows it was all his fault and cannot bear to even look at the living proof of it.

This is pretty much my interpretation of it. He seems to have believed that he could save Surma (he must have, if he spent that much time trying), but he failed. Maybe he even told Surma he could fix things so they could have Annie without her dying, but he wasn't able to do it.

Also, keep in mind that the others didn't have to actually watch Surma die. They found out about it at one remove, dealt with it (or failed to) in their own ways, and had Annie show up later. They know of the connection intellectually, but they wouldn't feel it like Anthony does; he watched her die for years and was powerless to do anything about it, and knew Annie was on some level (through no fault of her own) responsible for it. That'll breed a bit of bitterness in a guy.

On a totally unrelated note: Tom has gotten a number of questions on Formspring about his book deal. He hasn't given a full rundown of things, but it seems like he got no advance and makes $0.00 per book (unless he sells it to you personally at a convention). Does anybody know how Archaia's book deals work? Have I missed something important or are they just screwing him?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

That could be it, then. It's very easy to scam net proceeds; just ask anyone in the movie industry.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Mirage posted:

Mythology note: the Egyptian goddess Hathor-Tefnut was sometimes known as the "wandering Eye of Ra." HMMMM.

Tom was once asked if Jones knew ancient Egyptian, and replied that she definitely did. Also, Hathor was the goddess of, among other things, stolen objects. (And, uh... joy and happiness. And cows, although probably not laser cows.)

That said, Hathor was one of the most important Egyptian goddesses. If she were Jones, I would expect her to be a figure on the same scale as Coyote. I don't know how it works in the Court's universe, though, so maybe that makes sense too. (Or maybe she is, but in a less obvious way.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I always wondered if the Tic-tocs might be connected to Huginn and Muninn (since they've been referred to as the "thousand eyes", are said to be of divine origin, etc.).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Because it has bearing on the discussion:

Formspring posted:

From chapter 26, if coyote pulled out that same tooth again, would it still be a rock, or something else?

It would turn back into a rock.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Funnily enough, Tom answered that question too:

Formspring posted:

Ok, if the rock that Coyote used to replace his tooth has to stay a rock if he removes it, does that mean that Coyote stuffed a knife into his mouth to replace a tooth earlier?

Nope. It was one of his teeth. The blade is still his tooth.

I think that's related to this:

Formspring posted:

Would Coyote ever teach Annie to body swap if she asked?

Sure, but Coyote already gave that ability to Renard.

So wait, does that mean that when Coyote gives someone an ability, he can no longer use it? He’s actually GIVING it away?

Yes.

If Coyote gives a gift away (like body-taking), can he still use it himself?

No, but he might have different abilities that do something similar.

This seems to be one of the few boundaries on Coyote. He can give people things, but once he does he's given them away and no longer possesses them himself. He made a substitute tooth, but really the knife is still his tooth and the tooth is still a rock.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

My daughter liked the first book when she was six, so it's certainly possible.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Tea-san posted:

I'm really thinking about stopping/getting rid of my Formspring. It really shouldn't be required reading for my comic.

I'm one of the people that enjoy reading it. (Uh... clearly, I guess.) I see that and the predecessor forum question threads as more like the Gunnerkrigg DVD extras; not really important for the comic itself, but cool to get some tidbits about your creative process and corners of the background material the comic isn't going to hit directly.

That said, you really do seem to get some very dumb questions, a lot of which amount to "what will happen in the next page of the comic?". If it's become a source of stress rather than something fun, just ditch it. You already spend a lot of time and energy just getting us the comic itself; nobody is going to be upset that you don't then spend a ton of additional time and energy explaining every little thing. (Nobody worth listening to, anyway.)

Honestly, I think a lot of people ask you questions not because they want the answer, really, but because they want to see you respond to THEIR question. It's like getting on the reader page of a print comic. Even if your answer is "ok" or "remains to be seen".

EDIT: I just got the Jeanne print from my wife as one of my Christmas presents. It is awesome. Looking for a place to put it up now. (Unfortunately, we do not have a crypt or ossuary.)

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 25, 2010

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Either the Court medium enjoys some special privileges in terms of the Forest, or Surma does. Not just anybody is allowed to wander around there willy-nilly. So what he's finding out here is that the trust extended in the form of those privileges was betrayed.

The consequences could potentially be worse than him just throwing a nutter on the next page. If the Court's agreement that allows them to have a negotiator in the first place sets boundaries on that person's behavior (which would be reasonable), this could scotch the whole thing. If he was letting Annie into the forest at least partially in Surma's memory, he might also kick her out right now.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yeah, I tend to agree. Eglamore's powers seem to involve being able to get around very, very quickly. So with lots of open space he could probably stay out of her reach for quite a long time. Whether that translates into a win depends on what his objective is, and whether he has any kind of weapon that can even hurt her. (We've seen her punch through solid rock and have a sword bounce off her face, so it's not clear that he does, but if "win" is defined as "stop her from doing something" or "immobilize her temporarily" that might be achievable.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Not to mention he's incredibly dilligent. He says he has a buffer of at least 30 strips and 7 out of 10 of his tweets refer to him "just finishing a couple more pages".

I can't remember the comic ever missing an update. He'll go to Spain or America or whatever and it just means comments don't show up right away. When there are any of the things that would generally be considered filler (that guest week, or City Face), there are usually MORE things posted in a week than usual. I wish more webcomic authors were even half this dedicated.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Congratulations to the people that called that one. (I sure didn't.)

Although of course we all knew why Rey was hanging around. I wonder if the Court adults noticed that too.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Look at that. Look at that poo poo-stirring grin.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

He probably meant she couldn't catch it because it isn't infectious.

It's also possible that something has been done to Annie so this won't happen to her. Her dad was doing something in that hospital. But I suppose we shall find out, in time.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Tom has confirmed in numerous places that Surma was her biological mother and Anthony was her biological father and they had her in the usual way.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Might not be Surma, and might not be the Court. Could be sixteen generations back for all we know. But yeah, it's possible that Annie isn't going to have the same issue.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Just dug up the original question/answer pair. Assuming I've got the right one, Tom was asked if the illness could be passed down genetically to Annie, and the response was "as far as Anthony could tell, no.". There are holes in that you could drive a semi-truck through, were you inclined.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I didn't actually think the pages were all that unclear. Looking at 809, the fire is forming a wall across the bridge rather than running down it (look how it's engulfing the lamps, which are on the side of the bridge - it's heading out to the side). In 810, Eglamore is not running away from an advancing fire, he's just shielding himself a little bit from what's there, and he has plenty of time to doodle a fairly complicated design on the bridge with purple chalk to remove the obstacle.

(That doesn't mean that what she did was a particularly great idea, and yeah, someone could have gotten seriously injured, but that also doesn't mean she's an attempted murderess acting out of blind anger.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

She could give Jones her blinker stone to give to Kat.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The 19th Person posted:

Dio Brando what are you doing in the Gillete wood? You don't belong there.

Makes me think of something from this post in the GC forum fanart thread:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

My take on the villains in GC: ignorance, apathy, selfishness, intolerance, fear, and despair.

It seems like Coyote's main focus here is making sure nobody in the Forest knows about the sword - he's happy it's in the Court so it won't be found on her. If it were a spy device, he would be telling her not to tell anyone in the Court about it, which he didn't. It is interesting, though. Why should he care? Just because it's a powerful weapon? That doesn't seem sufficient.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Annie: good at making friends with weird monsters that try to murder her.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

illie posted:

That's adorable. Looking at his expression in the last panel though I can't help but think of the last time Annie tried to hug him and the caption "Pictured: Stupidest thing Annie's ever done"

I was actually wondering about that, too. Despite it being an objectively stupid action, I wonder if it had an influence on Ysengrin in general; her first impulse on seeing him wasn't to mock or take advantage, but to try to help him. Sure, he snapped at her because he hates being vulnerable, but that doesn't mean it was totally lost on him.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

What do people think the bonus will be?

(I'm betting either something about Jack or a little expository thing about fire elemental boinking, but I have an abysmal track record guessing what the bonus pages will be.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Talas posted:

I wonder if Tom has other ways of donating to him, I have had problems with Paypal before... are the Topaco t-shirts a good option?

He seems to get some amount of money from the Topatico stuff. At least, more than he does from the books, apparently.

Thanks for reminding me, by the way; my wife just graciously lent me the use of her paypal account to send a donation. Hoping Tom gets enough money from this to jumpstart his plans for the next year, whatever they may be.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

A few pages back, someone dug up the text of an Archaia agreement with another author, and it appears they do straight profit-sharing, assuming their agreements are usually like that.

It's possible they use Hollywood Accounting to reduce the profit to the point where they never actually have to pay Tom anything, but this is pure speculation. He's never actually said why he makes no money from the books.

Regardless, it's a good idea to buy them if for no other reason than to demonstrate to retailers that there's demand for the series; after all, Tom might get a better deal or switch publishers someday.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

For those who are curious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegithalos_caudatus

I wonder what SuperCyan is, though. (A bluebird?)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I got the Dragonball thing, yes. :)

But yeah, some of the commenters are fairies and some are birds. I thought SuperCyan was supposed to be a bird, but I could be wrong. TIME WILL TELL! (or not)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Excellent, thank you. That makes much more sense than a bluebird. We don't have blue tits here in the States that I know of, but I've just spent a few instructive minutes watching some youtube videos of them.

(Yes, I realize exactly how many jokes one could make out of the last sentence, but that's just lazy.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Sad that City Face is over... happy we're getting more Gunnerkrigg Court... so many super conflicting emotions!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

That is a really excellent downcast doggy pose.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Oh, no! An adorable panel! The most adorable panel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Hey, guys, how about that totally awesome comic that got posted today?

I was interested to see Coyote's binding disappear. I suppose it's less of an issue now since Coyote has control over Annie's visits (whereas he presumably didn't want to be following her around everywhere while she was living in the forest for months).