Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

inthesto posted:

The real question is how Annie and Kat managed to lug that iron girder around.

Presumably they used their robot army to move it for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Oh god, Annie, what have you done :ohdear:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
And thus, we officially enter the realm of bad things.

Annie, what have you done :smith:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Bobulus posted:

^ Yeah, they talked about it while hanging out on the roof right after Annie came back and Kat forgave her for being kind of hard to be friends with, sometimes.

So this chapter is apparently about Red getting a name. It occurs to me that we've got two other characters (Robot, Shadow 2) that really need better names, too. Wonder if that will come up.

Robot has a name, though. It's just not what his friends call him.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Spaseman posted:

I went for it and built my own that barely fit in below the limit. And speaking of avatars, are there any other threads where nearly all the posters have avatars from the topic of that thread? Its like Gunnerkrig has so many panels that would make for good avatars, everyone feels compelled to get one (with good reason).

MSPA/Homestuck have a lot of avatars, but they're of (intentionally) dubious quality, and they have a bad problem where they look way too alike because of the art 'style'.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Wrist Watch posted:

Oh yeah well what's Boxbot smart guy :smugbert:

Jar Jar Binks, except more terrible.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

1stGear posted:

This computer is starting to stretch my disbelief a bit.

It's pretty obvious that he's covering for something - if I had to guess, Anja and Donald have some kind of magic-meets-technology system cobbled together, but he only refers to it as the technology aspect because his place of employment has taught him to not consider the magical half valid.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

MikeJF posted:

...that's what they explicitly described it as in the first place.

I forgot about that (gogo late-night posting), but I also suspect there's some kind of reason relating to Donald's background that would explain why he sees his and Anja's creations as just machines.

Anja and Donald talk about the same system very differently - Anja talks about how the system uses etheric technology to make everything run because she's very aware that the power is a real thing, whereas Donald only refers to the mechanical aspect of their system when talking about it.

I mean, the guy's wife is Etherically gifted in her own right, and she's one of the Court's signalers (with an Etheric device!), and he's like "That sure is an amazing computer, huh?". It's just an interesting duality between the way the two of them view their creation.

Niton fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 30, 2012

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Fecha posted:

Gunnerkrigg has always been (to me) a comic that was built around stories, relationships and interpersonal conflict. In that regard, I don't really worry about advanced computers magically solving problems, because as the robots have established, feelings are beyond their RAM capacity.

The robots say that, but that's not really true, is it? Robot, King Markerface, and the original series robot from Chapter 33 all seem to display deep emotion, and even a lot of the ones wandering around the court react to negative or positive stimulus the same way the humans at the court do.

It could just be that they don't feel emotion, but only respond to it, but it seems as though at least some of the Models at the court are capable of holding the same basic emotions as any other 'lifeform'.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Kimitsu posted:

Wait, what? When I voted two days ago OotS was winning by a huge margin. WTF happened? Because Gunnerkirgg vs. OotS would've been a battle I'd have loved to see, plotwise.

Whatever, full force for GKC in the finals!

Thunt massively advertises like a shameless whore for his 2 pages a month webcomic that he's too lazy to update, while Rich tells people not to vote for him.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

I really like this one, but I have no idea what text to use if I decide to shell out to change :(

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Elysiume posted:

Prison Warden just got that one, if that affects your decision.

It does! It's hard to keep track when so many are being bought.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

TheNork posted:

(comedy option: boxbot)

An epic battle between Boxbot and Robox, with Robox looking completely disinterested in a "what is he doing" way.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Well, that's a pigeon. But.. why?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Okay, I get it - Zimmy/Gamma can read other people's minds, but they appear visually as something the subject spends a lot of time thinking about. Because of Kat's first love, her thoughts are represented as our Hatoful Boyfriend here on this page.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

immortal flow posted:

At what age did Eggers start dying his hair black!?

My hair looked similar to that color in my early teens, but it's now almost jet black in my mid-20s. Maybe the same thing happened to him :iiam:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

VictorGrunn posted:

Right, I'm saying that does not look like Ysengrin's head to me. If it is, I think that's a fair thing to call "pretty easy to miss".

Can't really make it any clearer, if it's still not obvious I don't know what to say!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Nettle Soup posted:

She obviously made an effort to take the beacon stick with her each time though. That says a lot.

I think that for all her outward defiance, Carver is very aware that Eglamore is on "her side" when something goes wrong. He's one of, what, 3 court-aligned adults she feels she can trust? Even among them, he's probably the most likely to break with the court to protect her.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Well.. I can't say I like Coyote anymore. That's all kinds of hosed up, jesus.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Ursine Asylum posted:

:aaaaa:

Maybe this won't be as sitcom-y as I was expecting, then. I was def. expecting a Annie/Ysengrin "You attacked me"/"No I didn't" back and forth, but if Annie finds out about what Coyote is doing early on then it takes it from wacky sitcom territory into something more interesting.

What if Coyote missed a spot at some point, and the (saner) Ysengrin told Jones what was going on at a meeting between the sides? From what we know about Ysengrin, he's not an evil force of any kind, but rather one that literally doesn't know what he's been doing for the last god-knows-how-many years, with all of the hatred caused by that layered upon his soul.

Coyote's kind of a sick gently caress.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Perhaps Coyote only casts shadows when someone is taking him seriously? It would fit in with his supposed non-existence if he only projected shadows when someone cared about him.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

thespaceinvader posted:

Aren't we somewhere in the middle of third year now, though? That makes the timeline about right...

In this case, it's more that "hear from him" refers to a single sentence as only part of a chapter instead of being a big deal.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Wait so.. wait. She's been that size for how long, exactly?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Jones is Jeanne.

D'arc

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

blastron posted:

Guys, guys. We're forgetting an important question.

If nothing about Jones can be cut or harmed, how does she get curls in her hair?

Her hair is pliable, she just can't lose or grow it. Look at the previous pages in the chapter - she's got a bunch of different hairstyles.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Wait is Tea-San Tom? I've been reading Gunnerkrigg for about a year, but I just found this thread.

Tea-San on the SA forums is indeed the lovely Tom Siddell.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

pik_d posted:

Yes I know that, but where is this mention of Kat liking birds?

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=257 here. It was a good chapter!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

DontMockMySmock posted:

What the heck has Kat ever done to suggest to you all that her abilities are in any way magical? Just that one page in "Divine"?

I think she's more "special" as the one character that doesn't have magical powers but is super awesome anyway.

Most notably, it's that her mother is a literal Etheric Magician, as noted most directly Here, but also any time Anja's "computer system" is brought up.

e: Also, most of this chapter!

Niton fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 27, 2012

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Prison Warden posted:

I still fail to see any definitive evidence of an etheric ability possessed by Kat, just brains. There are plenty of scientists working at the court who not only don't have etheric powers but actively disdain it's use and they STILL have incredible sci-fi technology.

Again: her mother is at minimum a techno-wizard, if not an actual one. It's pretty likely she shares at least some of her mother's talents.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Oh hey, I got Avatar Fairied! And they didn't even (really) change my title text.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Safari Disco Lion posted:

she randomly passes out/goes into a coma/whatever it is and it has yet to be fully explained but takes up a whole chapter completely out of the blue.

I thought the reason why she passed out fully explained by the end of the chapter - it was because Anthony was using some kind of Etheric sorceryScience to attempt to fix the very real, very large downside of being part-elemental, just from god knows how far away without asking for consent.

Reading through that part again, it would seem that Annie actually helped send him those tools through Microsat 5 in the previous chapter. Kind of creepy! I wonder what Annie would think if she could put 2 and 2 together.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Huntersoninski posted:

I meant it tho :(

It's okay, I think it looks enough like Shadow that you might survive with just some text.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Siddell :argh:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

SHISHKABOB posted:

IIRC Smitty doesn't have "probability" powers, he has the natural ability to subconsciously create order where there wasn't any before. Which has pretty much absolutely nothing to do with someone picking him for an important job over someone else. That's more like... ta'veren or something.

Unless there was a disagreement on who to pick for Medium, in which case his powers might create a tiebreaker that didn't upset anyone.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
I get the distinct feeling that the Headmaster himself has a problem with Annie, and he (or someone else) is using the court as a front. From the sounds of the other Court members in attendance, it's more than a bit strange that everyone but him is shocked.

Maybe Anthony tried to do (or succeded in doing) something incredibly stupid, and this is their form of backlash?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

A big flaming stink posted:

Again, everyone knows that Annie is by far the most qualified to be Medium. The Headmaster is choosing the inferior candidate either due to her independent streak, or her extra-curricular activities (the business with Jeanne) or both.

If the independent streak was such a huge concern, I don't think everyone would be so shocked, so I would disregard that as the likely reason. Reason 2's more likely.. but aside from Parley, Smitty and Kat, who's she told? Parley and Smitty know exactly as much as she does, at any rate.

A big flaming stink posted:

She's the only one who has interacted at all with the forest denizens. She's also the only one to have shown the ability to interact with the ether (heck, can Smitty even use a blinker stone?) What qualities does Smitty even possess that make him a better candidate for medium than any random jackoff in the court right now?

Answer: he's an easily manipulated child

What characterization are you basing that off of? He seems way more interested in doing the right thing, unless.. oh god :gonk:

Crazy rampant speculation time: What if they need to replace Jeanne and want to use Parley to do it :smith:

Niton fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 13, 2013

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Watch Headmaster Llanwellyn start a loving war.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Iceclaw posted:

Yes, because letting a foreign, rather hostile government pick your emissary for you otherwise they wage war against you is the mark of good leadership...

:ssh:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2378

In all seriousness though, I think the Headmaster may have picked a very stupid fight in his desire to regain control over Reynardine. Any goodwill he might have had from Antimony (and possibly some of the Court staff) has to have been seriously curtailed by that suggestion.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
It seems pretty obvious, contextually, that Jones is willing to go to the Forest with Annie -when she goes-. That's probably the most interesting thing on the page, too - Jones pretty clearly has pathos, even if she's unhuman. I wonder why she likes Annie so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Bell_ posted:

Guys, I think Jonathan planned that poo poo to the end. He expected Coyote's reaction and the kids' as well.

The question is whether he knows Coyote knows he knows that Coyote's nose can probably smell a ruse anywhere.

A man who shows boredom outwardly toward an actual god is not the kind of person who would show his anger over something he planned.