Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

quote:

And that clears up The Mystery of Jones.
Well that's a dick move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Robot's obsession with Kat is a little weird, but I look forward to the eventual story payout.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

That is a rockin' goatee

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

link to the next story is up at the bottom, it will be titled "Give and Take". Link doesn't go anywhere though

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

KamLen has not yet been introduced, and I hate him. Go Team Jack.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I want an avatar of Bud now

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

calling it now, we will get some variation of Jack saying "so that's what Jones is!" when it cuts back to them after the story/stories

Also, the first time Paz didn't come with, this time she is hanging off Matt's chair. ~*~ young love ~*~

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Is this guy supposed to be the headmaster?

For comparison

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Matt, politely put off Paz and make a pass at Kat like we know you want to. She'll shoot you down because you don't have feathers, but go for it dude!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Oh Winsbury, even when you try to help your friends you are a total jerk.

Kat has some interesting facial expressions going on there though. Hrm....

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

Or we could get something serious out of left field like him having seen Jeanne and the girl he's been rabbiting on about wasn't because he had a crush but because he was spooked by a scary rear end ghost.

Though personally I'm hoping it will be something silly. I'll lose it if he proceeds to describe Red or the other Suicide Fairy, him having the WORST crush possible. Zimmy or Gamma would also be acceptably awkward and hilarious.

From the look on her face I'm betting it relates to Kat somehow. Maybe it is unrequited, or she's just gonna be hurt by his story as well, but it involves Kat

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

betting story 3 is about a summer crush Kat had

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

it needs to be Friday like, right now.

Of course come Friday morning I'll be saying it needs to be Monday.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

it needs to be Friday like, right now.

Of course come Friday morning I'll be saying it needs to be Monday.

called it

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

oh not smart jack

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

And stuff like that is why I love Jack. So smart, such a rascal, and such a bumpkin at the same time.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Fecha posted:

Did anyone else get the vibe she was making up that explanation? I'm not a crazy shipper or anything. Just seems kind of out of nowhere, and she seemed to take a moment to think about an explanation.

That's exactly what I thought it was.

Jack is being nice and gentlemanly. Annie has a kinda denied crush on Jack and likes the attention. Jack keeps playing into it. Annie tries to flirt and essentially gives him the all clear that he can be himself. Jack does, and thought Annie was leading him on to mess with him, says he doesn't know why. Annie tries to regain footing, pulls out stuff from when he was not well. Jack is confused because he is a bumpkin.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I like how she "thinks like a forest person" and has overly complicated plans for things when her hair is back, but acts like normal Annie when it is down. Subtle, and I wouldn't have caught it without the bottom comment

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Kismet posted:

E.K. Weaver finished her piece for fan week. As expected, it's infuriatingly gorgeous:

(click for big)

Wow that's well done. Annie really looks like a child and not the "short adult" that a lot of art shows children as, and Coyote being done in a different style really makes his otherworldliness stand out.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

1stGear posted:

Reminder that Jones believes she could take Ysengrin and Coyote at the same time and they didn't argue too much.

Whichever mythological entity she is, she's one of the super badass ones.

Strictly speaking, that isn't a case of Jones being able to match the two of them in a fight. It could be an assertion of an old agreement on their respective roles akin to a political treaty, it could be that Jones fighting them would just make the issue moot (I can't imagine standing next to a fight between godlike beings is healthy for school children), or it could be that Jones can do something that they can't counter to remove Annie. Nothing there automatically says that Jones is on the same level of them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Especially when a couple pages later, Coyote freezes time like it's most normal thing in the world, and Jones takes absolutely no notice of what happened to Annie during that period.

Well, strictly speaking that doesn't mean anything either. Jones may simply have let Coyote do that. We have nothing that shows one way or the other what Jones is or the limits of what she could do. That Eglamore thinks there are scenarios in which he could beat her doesn't say much either - we don't know what he is capable of (though if he can go toe to toe with the god empowered general of the forest he probably has some firepower beyond a good gym routine) and he could be underestimating Jones. About the most indicative thing is that someone who is familiar with gods, demons, death avatars, and all other sorts of beings can't fully comprehend what Jones is.

Really, there is only one prediction or extrapolation we can make based on what we have seen so far: The next comic is going to be really awesome and result in us all wishing it was time for the next update already.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 17, 2011

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Why is Annie's head so big in panel 6? Is it supposed to symbolize something?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tim Buckley has all his expense,including the mortgage on his new house, paid for by his piece of poo poo copy-paste, racist, misogynistic comic.

Tom Siddell has to work a full time job because he doesn't get enough income from his his beautifully artistic, intricately plotted, touching comic.

gently caress this gay earth.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Fangz posted:

EDIT: It's difficult to see how Parley can win this fight. My thoughts are that she needs to go more on to the offensive. The foil moves, while fast to execute, require set up. Which means that Parley should try to pressure Robot with swinging blows at his arms from her longer weapon (especially as he is moving and so out of his guard position), and stop him from getting into position.

So to win the fight, Parley needs some way to rapidly get robot out of position and find a way to make up for the speed difference of her sword?

If she doesn't develop teleport fighting here I will be very surprised

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

She bipped to robot's side and is smacking his back with the flat of the blade as he lunges. This will shove him off balance. Her upper body is twisting as she smacks him.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

KezzKezzan posted:

This one's especially confusing since I can't tell who is who.

Eglamore is the one who is not a robot

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

No, there certainly won't be any unforeseen consequences from this at all

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Dodgeball posted:

The knife is going to kill Smitty, isn't it? :ohdear:

No. Parely and Smitty are gonna get married, and Smitty's parents are going to have to be very understanding about having a daughter-in-law named George.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

:ohdear:

It needs to be Monday right away

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

What I'm taking from all this is that Tom needs to start making avatars on his own and having people pay to download. That was he gets a cut of what is clearly the biggest profit margin coming out of his work.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I don't know what is going on, but I like it. :3:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

This is Kat's perception. Annie got pulled away by the Forest, by Jones, and between the two and their influence Kat feels like she doesn't even recognize Annie any more (hence the blank mask).

At least that is my read of it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Tea-san, please assume sufficient creative control over your works so that all the money going to gunnerkrigg related but non official things go to you instead.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

This is hands down the most confusing chapter yet

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So what's the over-under on this chapter making sense after tonight's update?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

AlexG posted:

It looks to me a little more like Ysengrin's mouth than Coyote's - especially since some of the teeth are worn/chipped. (Or maybe it's someone we haven't seen yet.)

And all the teeth are there. Coyote is short one, and there isn't a pebble in the socket there. Or was that all a trick? :tinfoil:

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 29, 2012

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I like how the change in body language suggests so much about her and her attitude now.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Esme posted:

Does the big guy have some kind of faint scar/scratch under his left eye in this chapter or is it something about the art I'm not getting?

It is a scar, but he picked it up offscreen sometime between his first few appearances. He doesn't have it the first few chapters he is in, then he does. Which is neat, because it implies there is a lot going on outside the immediate story that we don't know about

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Glare Seethe posted:

Speaking of the end of the comic, how far into it do you guys think we're in? Tea-san said he has an ending in mind so it won't go on forever, but he just started on it full-time a few months ago, and presumably he wouldn't have done so unless there was still a ways to go.

I've been following Gunnerkrigg for over seven years now; I wonder if I'll still be reading it in another seven years? A little nuts to think about that notion.

I could quite easily see it going up to chapter 80+ or so, we're two and half years into Annie's studies (assuming she finishes the whole five years) so that could put us at about the halfway point in the comic, too, I suppose.

Just based off plot and pacing, I'd guess we are still fairly early. We know about Jeanne and have a rough understanding of what happened, but we don't have a full one. We also don't know the impact of solving that mystery, and what it will do to the modern court.

In terms of Annie and her growth, we see that she is developing her powers more and more. But she is not demonstrating the sense of responsibility that should go hand in hand with it. Quite the opposite, she is becoming more reckless (see today's page).

Taking these two trends together, I'd expect she will do something to resolve the Jeanne situation without fully understanding the implications. Large modern problems will result, and she will have to take responsibility and resolve it. If I am right, that is still quite a lot of story to happen. I'd say we are still in the first act or so overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Well, someone lacks a sense of self preservation.