Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

clockworkjoe posted:

You know, perhaps The Court or someone else manipulated Surma et all so that she would fall for Tony and not Eglamore. If the Court's purpose is to make human into gods, then there's a good chance kids with supernatural powers are part of that. The powers that be could have decided that Tony + Surma would have produced a better child than Eglamore + Surma. After all, several people have commented on how Annie reflects both of her parents influence. I wouldn't be surprised to find out there's some kind of deliberate eugenics program going on with Annie, Kat, etc.

Annie is the failed experiment, Kat is the successful one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
No, gently caress you.

I dunno. I want to keep reading to find out what's happening, but all the same I feel like the court is the overbearing tiger parent that completely crushes kid's souls (as studies have shown) and I just want to stop reading until Annie gets her fight back.

I've always loved Zimmy, but never have I wanted her in the comic more.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Why can't we just take the most simple explanation which is that Annie did indeed pass him on to Kat and is lying to her father (badly)? Reynard also says the body is a plaything of the mind, and his mind is in a real bad place at the moment, a place where he feels helpless, and so appears as a puppy.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Bongo Bill posted:

Annie is not currently capable of defying and deceiving Anthony on this matter.

The mind is the plaything of the body, not the other way around.

...well, you're right that he says that, but Tom has said that Rey's form changes based on how he's feeling which seems like it should be the other way around. Like if he's feeling trickstery he's the doll, and noble and helpful and powerful he becomes a wolf. So the mind affects the body.

I'll admit that hoping Annie knowingly transferred control offscreen is probably wishful thinking on my part. But it would be nice!

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
All of this could have been avoided if Tony just talked to his kid. She didn't even loving know, man.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Tony went to find the psychopomps, learned his wife's spirit was still in this world (because there was nothing left of her to take) and decided to find it wherever it was, since he doesn't quite seem to understand that it was an etherical "illness".

Boom. Etheric surgery without moral culpability or whatever.

Still an abusive dick.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Air is lava! posted:

Actually, Tony seems like the kind of person who was touched exactly once by his mother. I looked at every panel of the last three chapters again, and he doesn't have any physical contact with anyone. (The ether stuff does not count.) Presumably he touched Surma at some point, but I am starting to doubt that as well. Maybe he was also born in a vat.

There's a picture of his arm around Surma and hers around him, but other than that I don't think there's anything.

Maybe his mother touched him too much.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
he had his reasons

bad reasons

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Coyote's laughing because Annie's been damaged to hell and back by a guy who never shows any emotion, let alone anger.

GET IT

Irony.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

EmmyOk posted:

T-man is fearless yo, what a great dad.

T-man fears emotion

A bad dad.

To reiterate:

Quantum Finger posted:

Coyote's laughing because Annie's been damaged to hell and back by a guy who never shows any emotion, let alone anger.

GET IT

Irony.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

EmmyOk posted:

If Tony did what Ysengrin did this page people would be calling him a monster. So racist

It's kind of different. Wolfdad gave bad advice, humandad caused so much emotional trauma that his daughter excised a piece of her soul.

Wolfdad has always been straightforward with Annie, too. He calls her weak when she's weak, strong when she's strong, beautiful when she's beautiful. Meanwhile Tony insults, degrades, and punishes her because he can't handle his fee fees regarding his dead wife. At least Ysengrin has the excuse of getting brain raped, what's Tony's excuse? Should have been in therapy a long time ago.

Ysengrin could also be sad. Although he doesn't do sad very well either.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

SHISHKABOB posted:

Maybe it has to do with the fact that ysengrim is a made up fantasy wolf guy dressed in a tree, whereas tony is representative of actual real life parents.

Or maybe it has to do with the characterization of tony as an aloof, selfish and rather poor parent throughout the comic, as opposed to ysengrim's characterization as partially a victim yet also someone whom Annie wishes to be friends with (and has considered to be a friend at points).

Ysengrin is clearly the stand in for Annie's tough-but-fair soccer/karate coach that she looks up to as a father figure.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUH

(just kidding, I wish he'd take off that tree, it's so unflattering)

edit: except when he looks like this:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
dad back, so what

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Ysengrin is technically correct, which is the best kind of correct.

I'm enjoying the way Annie's mask keeps falling off during this conversation. She's really bad at communicating (shocker) that it's the how, not the what that Anthony has done.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Itzena posted:

It's pretty funny that the biggest reaction anyone else has gotten out of Annie regarding her father is Ysengrin taking the "He had his reasons" role, forcing her into the antagonist position for the first time.

Bingo.

Wolfdad: Sounds like he had his reasons?
Annie: Yeah... His poo poo REASONS.

I hold out hope for this.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Definitely one way to explosively reunite Annie with her fire self.

Also kind of worried that Ysengrin is going to die.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
At this point I think WolfTreeDad is serving the role of WolfTreeUncle/WolfTreeSensei. In essence, there are tribes of the first nations who give the disciplining of children to their aunts and uncles rather than their parents, because their parents would be too soft because they love them too much. Which actually seems pretty healthy--get whupped by your uncle for being a little poo poo, still get unconditional love from your mum and dad. So I feel like Ysengrin is serving the role of teacher here rather than father, because obviously Annie already has a father. And as a wolf/wild animal, he knows that sometimes death or obliteration is the only way to let new growth in.

I dunno. I'm overthinking this, probably, but this is gonna have some cool consequences! Hopefully.

TLDR: Ysengrin is Tony if he actually communicated.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 12, 2015

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Demiurge4 posted:

Wolfdad knows his mind is going and he's losing himself, this is his suicide by fire elemental while performing a good deed as his last :3:

shut up shut up shut up! :(

Half because I love Ysengrin, half because how the gently caress do you think Annie's going to feel after she kills him in a burst of uncontrollable fire-rage?

:cry:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

WolfDad really is Best Dad.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
"Do your loving job" is a pretty good way of grounding someone who is going through some Emotional poo poo.

Also it looks like Ys is on fire. That's love.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 16, 2015

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
I'm going to kill you all.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Who do you mean by this?

Jones, obviously.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

KittyEmpress posted:

It's almost as if those two are sort of related? most webcomic authors can't treat it as a full time job, because they don't have enough income from it, and as such mostly write their pages during breaks at work or once they get off their actual full time job.

I mean I bet if most comics made enough money to be a replacement for an actual job, they'd have more consistent schedules.

This is the answer. Back when Tom had an outside job he couldn't have made such a backlog, but now that the comic IS his job, thanks to Patreon, he's able to keep a consistent schedule. Say what you like about Patreon, but it keeps Unsounded and Gunnerkrigg coming with consistent quality and the artists don't starve, and it is therefore a moral good.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Tea-san you loving troll

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Haledjian posted:

Sorry if this has been addressed at length, but...does anyone else feel like the comic is settling into a weird pattern of like, heading off narrative conflict? The "Break Out" chapter and the setup to it were obviously a joke, but that's how nearly all the storylines have felt to me for a while now--things always get defused before they really go anywhere.

Maybe that's unfair, though. I might be expecting a different kind of comic than the one I'm actually reading.

I feel the same and wish we knew where we were in the story line. Half way through? Two thirds? One third? Not knowing that is screwing up my expectations for the pacing. I got into Unsounded recently and knowing we're wrapping up the first act of three right now is really helpful for getting hype. Meanwhile, I've been following GC since the Fangs of Summertime and it still feels like very little has happened since then. A lot of set up and no dominoes falling. (Yet.)

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Ditocoaf posted:

This is leaning way less on the dichotomy thing than previous treatises, which is interesting. Pretty much the only people solidly mirroring each other are Coyote and Anthony looming from respective balconies. Everyone else is just kinda doing their thing wherever they happen to be. The celestial bodies are more complex than just "Sun over forest, moon over court" -- though there's a tiny moon and sun carved into the architecture's corners.

Ooh -- and I just noticed the lower pillars on the court side are decorated with marching robots.

Also, it's maybe kind of ominous that Smitty is facing away from the viewer. That seems symbolic, and probably bad.

Smittys strings were cut by an etheric blade. He's hosed one way or another.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

A Sometimes Food posted:

Man

This kind of sucks.

I've been reading since Coyote and Ysengrin were introduced and :same:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Antimony is foreverially parentified and loving it.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Pachylad posted:

From the Twitter thread that they mentioned:

https://twitter.com/OrnithologyGam1/status/1395746200511516673

oooof

Good news for that guy, therapy works.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LorienInksong/status/1396080819806949376

This is where I'm at. I feel gross and disappointed that yet another thing I thought was creative, complex, and full of intriguing contradictions was actually just British.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I uh.. don't think that's what gaslighting is.

I've been suspicious of the comics motives re tony for a while, and frankly I think Tom wants us to reach the same conclusion Annie did which is presumably the conclusion the author reached in his relationship with his father. Unfortunately, no one likes that literal children get parentified and no one thinks that's the best way to resolve a fictional relationship, except I guess the author, who I fear is explicitly telling us to drop it and it's FINE, he has his reasons...

Captain Oblivious posted:

https://twitter.com/cornhime/status/1396791566279315460

A good thread by Never Satisfied author on how, for quite some time now, the comic has been constructing the positions of the cast, and specifically the members of the cast who do and do not have credibility, to legitimize Tony as well as Annie's response here.

poo poo sucks.

This is not just about what Annie says. It's about how Jones, and even the text below the comic, are framing this issue. The point of Jones as a character is she is the neutral, impartial observer. She is legitimizing Annie here, and so is the author text.

I swear, I think we're supposed to think Annie is exaggerating her trauma and Kat is the objective one. I hated that Kat emotionally betrayed Annie and I don't think it's been addressed. Their beautiful friendship was the heart of this story.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bigg_AASB/status/1396789975379701763

This weird donkey skin dynamic is so loving creepy and never explored.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 24, 2021

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Tenebrais posted:

While we're scraping Twitter, Magnolia Porter Siddell is weighing in too:

https://twitter.com/MagnoliaPearl/status/1396841417918619650

https://twitter.com/MagnoliaPearl/status/1396843412750487558

She is probably the only person with access to Tom's actual intentions with the storyline so I'm inclined to believe her when she says this isn't what the story is trying to say.

You know what is really frustrating? Reading a story for 16 years and still not be sure what the author is getting at. One might think there was something wrong with the way it's written!

As an aside the tic toc reveal and wrap up was done with so little fanfare I forgot about it until I read this thread arguing about time travel and was like, "oh yeah, kat broke time but so far it is irrelevant to the plot as a whole" so there's that.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
As a parent I just hate to see this literal child essentially resign herself to a one sided relationship with the one person who should be showing that sort of devotion to her. This is not a repaired relationship and while I hope there's a SIKE!! in the works, I am not feeling good about it.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 25, 2021

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

coolusername posted:

I think that's my problem, then. Annie and Kat was like... the heart and emotional core of the comic? To me, at least.

Two friends becoming best friends, learning to like each other, learning to support each other, struggling with both weird mystery poo poo like a ghost sword lady and godlike incel mystery cult, but also perfectly normal things like 'I cheated homework off my smarter friend' and 'How do I support my friend who's got family issues' and 'We're becoming adults and getting into relationships etc. that could separate us, how do we stay friends?' which you can relate to.

I cared about the mysteries because I cared about the characters, and where they were going, and how they were going to deal with it. And my slow degrade of enjoyment can probably be directly put up against a spreadsheet of them separating starting from Annie repeating the year, and them slowly becoming more passive, reactive characters who just have things happen to them rather than them doing things together - Zimmy does things to them, the Norns explain things to them, the dad is crummy and the school has dark plans to them. They're not out there, being friends, pushing the plot - the plot just keeps happening to them, or being solved for them. And not just this chapter, it's been over a year of this happening?

It's not Tony by itself that's making me stop after gosh like ten years of diligently checking every M-W-F, it's the entire change of what the comic is.

Yeah, same. I'm sure this would be less jarring if read all at once instead of MWF, but I truly miss Annie and Kat doing their thing together in the rising action. I wish we could have kept it more past Tony's reentry into Annie's life.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 31, 2021

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Symbolism pages look pretty and mean nothing. The writing can't cash this check.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's weird that there's like, a diner in the court after everything that's happened? I guess people need stability and comfort food in trying times, but I'm kind of under the impression that the only people left were like, the ones who don't really have much other choice or are planning on leaving via the sea.

Mostly I'm just surprised how little world building has been happening. Even a single establishing panel for the restaurant could have done a lot of work to show the types of people who are still here, the state of the court for the avg resident, etc. Hell, it feels weird that they're like "let's go somewhere more private" when 1) we never saw another person before they said that, and 2) why did they go to a diner in the first place?? It feels to have them go there only to immediately leave. I guess because she's rockabilly thus she needs to go a diner?

It was so Tom could do the visual scrying joke with the condiments.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Just tell us.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

pik_d posted:

They tell Zimmy that the court is after her and she ALSO already knows

ty

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
This reminds me of Red chewing Annie out in the least charitable way possible that came out of loving nowhere after the Jeanne plot resolved. That was weird and arbitrary and had no clear narrative value...a lot like the mind cage actually. Just a neat delivery of how the reader is supposed to feel.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

A big flaming stink posted:

now i don't know if even during that arc tom was aware he was depicting tony being actively abusive

I think he has no idea which is why he had to tell us from Annie's own mouth that it's fine, what are you guys upset about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Strep Vote posted:

he had his reasons

bad reasons