Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I wonder what it's like to puke into the ether

I sure am glad that last week I thought to myself "hey, I remember liking that weird Gunnersomething Court comic. Wonder what it's been been up to the past few years?" This junk has gotten really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I just realized that I've been reading Bud's lines in the voice of Jake, from Adventure Time (same guy who voices Bender). He's a cool dude who just wants to party and he has a lovely lady friend.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Even your lack of income from it aside, the comic itself is a pretty amazing resume. I don't know what your day job is, but having an interesting and well drawn (by actual standards, not just webcomics) comic you can pretty easily point to a skill level. On top of that there is your absurd machine-like ability to follow an update schedule.

So if nothing else you've produced a pretty great basis to go after a job. Unlike most "successful" webcomics.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Tollymain posted:

I don't think I'd mind too much either.

That can't be healthy for a relationship though.

He's a highschool dude who gets all the smooches from an upperclassman hottie. It is the perfect relationship.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I like to think they're constantly busting Renard's balls about that kind of thing. "Yeah, he always knows exactly what women are thinking! He'll never get tied down to just one lady like some kinda chump! No dame ever gets the upper hand over ol' Renarppffffffahahahahaahaha"

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Just look at that smug motherfucker.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

dumb brunette posted:

I first saw GC a while ago when one of the random video game comics was up (I think it was the MGS4 one) and dismissed it as just another gamer comic, which I wasn't really interested in.

Kind of funny that you would happen to stumble across it on one of the three or so videogame comics and get the completely wrong impression. I wonder if there are any people who started in City Face and got disappointed when all these color panels and weird people showed up.

As for me, I can remember reading everything when it was just a couple chapters. I was probably linked through another webcomic since I didn't really do all that much with the forums back then. But I almost never keep up to date reading webcomics for more than a month so it wasn't until recently that I decided to finally read through ~chapter 15+.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Perestroika posted:

Please tell me these two pages were a response to that insanity. :allears:

I'm pretty sure those were the pages that precipitated the meltdown, actually. Never mind how accurate that whole exchange was, WHY WON'T THEY JUST ADMIT THEIR LOVE :qq:

But my favorite thing is the cool-dude finger guns Kat gives her. Truly the smoothest method of extricating yourself from an awkward conversation.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Cowcaster posted:

Do you people really think that ChibiSoma is the first rear end in a top hat on the internet to obsess over how "totally lesbo" Annie and Kat are? I can remember it being a thing almost as long as Gunnerkrigg has been around.

No, but he was the first one dumb enough to do it all over the internet under the same username as he has here and then also post about it in a thread that Tea-san reads.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

MikeJF posted:

Especially when fighting. Remember the Jones vs Eglamore fight?

I had forgotten about Parley's real name, ahaha. The stretch of comics right after that fight are some of my favorites.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It's gonna be funny when that tooth doesn't work outside the forest and Annie just looks like (more of) a weirdo. Just carryin' around this here toof.

Also that she makes Renard eat it and then hork it up when she wants it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Now I want them to have a dramatic build up to using the sword against something and then have it just bend like a rubber toy sword. Or it gets pushed back into the grip, giving us a dramatic stab AND a big let down. Followed directly by an update consisting entirely of a giant version of:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Maybe he needs to wear clothes in order to "talk", now. Unless he can just do it through whatever he's standing (?) on. Either way I'm probably gonna imagine him sounding all muffled like Kenny from now on.

Also the upcoming hug is probably gonna look really weird.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Ironic Twist posted:

sound
I had forgotten about how Reynard just had to switch from noble wolf to rear end in a top hat imp because the situation was just too hilarious to not make fun of.

Also if Parley was able to push someone as heavy as Jones out of her room does that mean she is also a robot

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Gonna be hard to not think of her as Jonesy from now on. Will also be hard to not hear comments as if said by 40's gangster. "What's with all the questions, Jonesy? Myahh, see"

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Action-Bastard posted:

Tom, really gotta tell you Annie looks amazing in that first panel. Your artwork has really evolved into something spectacular.

So it's not just me, then. Something about the way Annie has been drawn in the past few pages has looked really great.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
You don't need a blinker stone to go all ethery, it just helps. Anja is probably derping around the ether all the time, plus there's the Crabs.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
So it just doinks right outta there, huh? I wonder if her body keeled over as soon as they did that and they haven't noticed yet. At least until she starts drooling all over the place.

We also need an alternate universe story where Annie dropped dead the moment they did that and now she's a ghost. And then she gets recruited for Ghost Cops along with her pal Mort and they don't follow the rules.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Here's a quick one I was inspired to make while rooting through the archives

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I feel pretty confident that this has already been produced as a coyotar, but just in case:

Though on the off chance it hasn't been used, I might have to make a switch...i pranked hard it overflow...

(but if anybody wants it, go for it. I am terribly cheap about this sort of thing)

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 16, 2012

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Darn straight it has. (Thank you, Avatar Fairy!)
Ah, good. It's one of my favorite Coyote faces. And he is very surprised to see that other coyote you quoted. I wonder if he gets confused when he looks in mirrors?

Dese Foley bums is a buncha showoffs

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

WeaponBoy posted:

Does Annie even remember that she has it? I had forgotten that it was from her encounter with Jeanne down in the ravine until one of those god damned 'oh hey, I missed dinner because of Gunnerkrigg archives', but when Coyote commented on it Annie seemed confused as to what he was talking about.

I think that was the only time it's been referenced since the injury itself and yeah, she didn't understand what he meant. And of course he moved right on to another subject rather than tell her "hey you got a big ether scar on your face. no no, YOUR left". Still, she might have noticed or figured it out off-screen at some point. It wouldn't be the first thing she didn't have the common decency to give us exposition about. That jerkbutt is still lording Jones over us.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
That reminds me, I wonder if we'll specifically find out how Forest people "die" and become human(ish). Because if it's literally the way they described it way back when they were trying to get Annie to murder them, no wonder Ysengrim is losing it. You can only stomp so many fairies before you get loopy.

Um, of course, that's just what I heard. From a friend. Who has that problem.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Arg there's just too much I like about this whole trip to Foley I can't keep up with it all. The faces, Annie being a weirdo and people actually liking it, everything in the ether being really pretty, and I don't think any of the kids actually know their teacher's name.

edit:

edit2:

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 20, 2012

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I have no idea how to do this kind of thing so it's huge and choppy but I couldn't stop imagining it. It was funnier in my head.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It might be worth mentioning that the scrolly one I made is almost 10 times too big to use as-is and would need finagling by someone who knows what they're doing.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Olivia42 posted:

He's a boy. He's wearing the shirt and tie uniform that male students wear.

Yeah. The girls all seem to wear those sweater vests.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Dodgeball posted:

I think her name is Tea, she shows up sometimes in bonus pages and lets people know if there's a story break coming up (stuff like city face).
She's kind of the comic's mascot, I guess? That's the way it seems to me.

I like how Tom just uses the Formspring to evade questions, like this exchange:
Is ether and magic a secret to everyone outside the court? If so then wouldn't pointy ears attract unwanted attention? Also some of the beings with powers don't seem to care what they do or who sees.
It's a funny story actually...

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Man, that's a pretty unbeatable webcomic combo.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Ephphatha posted:

Edit: Zenzirouj, you know you can make the background of your avatar transparent?

Yeah, this one got bought for me when I lamented its loss when another person (who also had it bought for him, I think) replaced it. He's pretty adorable so I decided to keep it. It's getting close to time to retire him, though.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I don't even understand why this is fun to do

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Spooky Candle posted:

Ooh, this one rules.
When you quoted it I noticed the face was a little off center and my inner sperg couldn't let it go

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I was messing around with that panel to see if I could get the hand to animate but it didn't really work. However I did end up with this:

"no annie that is not how you high-five"

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Saoshyant posted:

Re-reading some older Bad Machinery stuff, I found this guest strip by Tom I had forgotten about.

You know, I see this comic get referenced a lot but never really cared enough to try reading it. But the fire troll story that follows the link is pretty fantastic. I loved the mob. So thanks for eating up more of my free time, rear end.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Well, since we're back on avatarchat...

It was weird making this because it involved a lot of time zoomed really far in. Just staring right at me.

edit:

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 27, 2012

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Nondevor posted:

Hey, you beat me to it. "Oh no! A guuuh face!"

Such a goldmine of avatars this chapter. We can't say it enough Tom, but the way you draw the ether is tops. It's gonna be hard to go back to bore-land after this.

edit: woah snap, did a triple take when I saw my avatar just now. Thanks, mysterious benefactor!

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 30, 2012

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Mercury Hat posted:

Yeah, she spent a whole summer in the forest with fairy types, I'm sure she has a handle on how they operate.

Yeah, I'm thinking that if she wasn't just playing the straight man from the beginning, she figured out it sometime around the time of my avatar.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'm thinking that faeries have some derpy rule about names wherein the first person to refer to you with a proper noun (or anything with a capital first letter (they can tell)) names you. Maybe they're surprised because this is a faux pas of some kind because they're not allowed to change it so you're kind of a jerko if you go around slinging names, or maybe getting a name is like a faerie bat mitzvah.

I'm also thinking Shoggy only ended up looking like that because Annie described it before Blue "summoned" it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Nondevor posted:

This chapter certainly does have a lot of great faces.
I jacked some of your images to make this because I am a lazy crumbroni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Spooky Candle posted:

I don't get how you'd want to skip out on anything.

Especially if you've already covered the first several chapters when the comic was still finding its feet. It never stops getting better (so far [no pressure, Tom]).