Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

I like Boxbot, you all are going to feel super ridiculous when it turns out that Jones is actually Boxbot's alter ego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Jervas Dudley posted:

I'm not surprised that Nicolae Carpathia would like Boxbot.

Robox doesn't even have arms. He can't do anything! ROBOX IS USELESS

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Pester posted:

Shut your lying mouth, mister.

Boxbot is unjustly persecuted. Who will speak for the Boxbots of the world?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Laser cows, how could you?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Psych posted:

He can play soccer, that's more then Boxbot could ever do.

I'd like to see Robox play goalie without arms!

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Mirage posted:

Why do you make me do bad things?

Didn't you see earlier?

Jervas Dudley posted:

Nicolae Carpathia

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

McGravin posted:

But personally, I can't think of a single thing I would like to see changed about the comic.

More Coyote-vision scenes, confirmation that Jones is exactly what I think she is, and less unjustified anti-Boxbot bias.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

A student posted:

You just wants Jones to be a robot so she can legally marry Boxbot.

Boxbot is too good for Jones.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

The other is to tell the truth, but tell it so unconvincingly that the listener believes you're lying.

I'm reminded of a story told by physicist Richard Feynman, in which someone stole one of a set of double-doors from a room in the frat house, and Feynman, being a notorious prankster, stole the other, knowing that person who stole the first would be blamed for the second. The first door is found soon enough but not the second. The frat president tries to figure out who took the door and asks everyone in the frat, on their fraternity honor, if they'd taken it:

quote:

The president says, "That's a very good idea. On the fraternity word of honor!" So he goes around the table, and asks each guy, one by one: "Jack, did you take the door?"

"No, sir, I did not take the door."

"Tim: Did you take the door?"

"No, sir! I did not take the door!"

"Maurice. Did you take the door?"

"No, I did not take the door, sir."

"Feynman, did you take the door?"

"Yeah, I took the door."

"Cut it out, Feynman; this is serious! Sam! Did you take the door . . ." --it went all the way around. Everyone was shocked. There must be some real rat in the fraternity who didn't respect the fraternity word of honor!

That night I left a note with a little picture of the oil tank and the door next to it, and the next day they found the door and put it back.

Sometime later I finally admitted to taking the other door, and I was accused by everybody of lying. They couldn't remember what I had said. All they could remember was their conclusion after the president of the fraternity had gone around the table and asked everybody, that nobody admitted taking the door. The idea they remembered, but not the words.

People often think I'm a faker, but I'm usually honest, in a certain way--in such a way that often nobody believes me!

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Monday's page is up, Jeanna gonna slice up a person

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

urim posted:

Man this is a great comic. Jeanne's anger is palpable and so deserved... I hope Annie and Parley get out of this alright without Jeanne messing with them too much. Especially so that Parley can go back and have all the babies with Smitty

Not today, friend, Jeanne's gonna just take an ear if Parley's lucky. Angry Ghost Lady gonna kill somebody to-nite.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

A student posted:

What would happen if Kat made a robot to try and recover elf-boys body?

I don't think there's much left of Elf.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Detetsu posted:

or if Parley gets stabbed in the chest she loses her love for Smitty

Good. That'll teach her to stick her nose into other people's business.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Brannock posted:

So Parley is going to become a Heartless?

She's going to replace Jeanne, obviously. Swordfighting, spurned love, and losing her heart to a crazy ghost lady. It's so obvious now. The perfect recipe for a hate-powered rage sentinel.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Dodgeball posted:

That's 2 3 "Paisleys" on the same page. Parley, people. PARLEY.

This brings up something. How are you guys pronouncing 'Parley' in your head? Par-lee? or Par-lay? Just asking.

\/\/\/You kids and your cribbin'... Mumble grumble

Could be worse, a couple days ago I nearly posted her name as Parsley.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Psych posted:

If you can't lose a blinker stone I bet sure as hell you can't lose a god's tooth. And it is definitely going to have an ethereal form.

A few months from now, some crazy things are going to happen in the court, and Annie is going to sleep fearfully with Coyote's tooth tucked under her pillow. She will awaken to find that it's vanished, replaced with a gigantic diamond and a note reading "OH WOW, THANKS! - TF"

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Brannock posted:

Clearly what Jeanne needs is a group hug.
Jeanne needs to loving get over it, frankly.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

dumb brunette posted:

Yeah I'm sure a ghost will have an easy time moving on, especially when it's implied the (clearly magical) arrow did something to gently caress her soul over forever!

Lots of people see their lovers murdered before their eyes and they don't turn into spectral beings of pure hatred. Jeanne is just being overly dramatic.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Letting your opponent, a teenage school student, kick you in the hand and make you drop the thing you were holding? Jeanne's gotten rusty since she died. She ain't so tough.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Pick posted:

I hope Tom doesn't bend to the pressures of his fans too much in this respect. If Tom gets bogged down trying to explain how every single thing works and spelling it out in the comic proper, then that'll halt progression of the comic from a plot perspective.

According to the author's comments, the way that etheric powers work is "It just does, okay?" Fans asking about why Smitty's power works the way it does will probably just get pointed there until they get it.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

Haven't you ever taken a date to a scary movie?

Are you sure you remember what forum you're in.

If only Smitty had been there, he could have made it all boring. Instead of having horrifying visions of murdered loves and almost getting sliced by a vengeful ghost, Annie and Parley and Smitty would have sat down and yawned a bit while Jeanne droned on in monotone about every event of her life and afterlife.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

This page is sad. It needs more Coyote. Here is the Coyote you need.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Pick posted:

In comparison to the flashback chapter as shown by the camera robot, it seems excessively straightforward.

True. I mean, it is pretty terrible when an author tries to explain a thing clearly.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

How complex and subtle did you want the story to be, man? Jeanne's memories have no words and are highly stylized. The page you linked gets across an integral part of Jeanne's story without words and in a single panel -- that she and Elf were separated when Coyote carved the gorge into the world. (Frankly, the use of Coyote's etheric pattern to divide the two lovers, rather than showing him carving it or even mentioning him by name, seems like a good use of subtlety to me.)

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Coyote is always fun, but sometimes fun comes at different times.

He may be big but you've got spirit, you can take him Kat. Oh and this came during a fairly big plot chapter that directly relates to the current chapter.

Yes! That is also fun. Lots of ways to have fun in the ol' GC.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Wong Dongson posted:

That picture of boxbot just makes me want to give him a hug. Poor loving boxbot, will his day never come?

Not when the world is full of people who want to keep the Boxbot down. You know who you are. People who want to pretend they've never been a Boxbot, everyone calling them terrible...

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

FredT.E.C. posted:

I just finished reading through the archives and enjoyed every minute of it.

I can't wait to see Coyote cause something to happen that pisses everyone off only to be revealed later that he was actually helping them tremendously and laughing about it the whole time.

Coyote would be just as happy if it ruined everybody tremendously, though. He's Coyote.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Idran posted:

Out of all the authors that are against fanfiction, though, the best one has to be Jasper Fforde. The author whose main series, Thursday Next, is all about a person that jumps into various novels, interacts with the characters, sometimes even rewrites them from the inside; it's basically a big tongue-in-cheek fanfic of literary canon. I honestly wonder sometimes if he's not just against it all just to troll his fanbase.

I have to wonder if his writing in general is just an attempt to troll people. The Eyre Affair is one of the worst books I've ever finished.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

This first-name basis thing might be awkward if Parley insists it go both ways.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

I have to admit, I'm still not entirely sure what Jeanne said that let Parley deduce that Jeanne wanted to kill her for being a Love Coward. Perhaps it was just a psychic thing.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Pieces of Peace posted:

I'm pretty sure it's that: the last line isn't about unspecified heart magic it's just the heart as love. I don't really think we need to PBF it.

Whoa whoa whoa, PBF it? drat. Let's not say things we can't take back.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

A student posted:

Was Golem ever ruled out?

Golem is my bet, but if that's the case I'm not splitting the Jones pool money. :mad:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

"Golem" is practically the same word as "robot" anyway.

in Discworld, maybe :colbert:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

A student posted:

She could also be a Chimera, part human, part elephant, She certainly weighs enough.

So when people say she's got a lot of junk in her trunk--

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

idonotlikepeas posted:

Someone on the GC forums had the idea that she might be Galatea (the statue carved by Pygmalion in Greek mythology which came to life), which has a certain amount of attraction.

Doesn't look like Jones is getting much use out of that bonus to Presence rolls.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Junker posted:

It doesn't matter what Jones is, because she'll always be all woman.

Just not all the same woman. New hypothesis: Jones is a Frankenstein.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Oh, drat, that's cool.

Also this is going to make medium classes insufferable for Annie and Jones.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

I think the most interesting thing about Annie's fingerprint on the moon isn't that Annie's fingerprint is on the moon but rather that it's the only fingerprint on the moon. Coyote's probably shown off to all kinds of people by taking the moon from the sky but Annie was apparently the first to ever poke it.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Jones is clearly trying to arrange the relationship between Smitty and Parley for her own nefarious purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

I wonder how long it's going to be before the Big Jones Reveal. Apparently Smitty and Parley already know what she is, according to the "Word of Tom", and we've been seeing a lot more of them, (And they're going to be seeing a lot more of each other, ahurrrr :haw:) so perhaps they'll let something slip soon.