Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I think most autistic people still age though.

I just caught up with the comic on Tuesday, and even though I just read all of it in a few days I still have the problem of re-reading it as I click links on here. Personally I think the stone elemental thing seems to fit fairly well, but I feel like it might be something else because that feels like it's too easy of a guess.

She could still be an autistic rock I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I like to imagine her thought process in this one is "Why are those people running?" "Oh yeah...the fire" but she's probably just :geno: on the inside too.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Could go either way. The chapter still isn't over yet, so we might even be getting more hints soon! Looking over her history again, though, I really only have two questions.

1. Why did she help feed the hunters? I feel that the answer to this question would answer many others.
2. Why does she never show any expression? She can open and close her mouth; she's probably physically capable of smiling. She's also likely to be a skilled mimic thanks to millennia of practice. If she's pretending to care about Eglamore, she could pretend to smile the same way. And she has motivation to pretend to care, however inscrutable or alien it might be. Why doesn't she? Is she so invested in being emotionless that she wants an outward sign of it?

1. I sorta wondered if she was helping, or if the hunters were just driving the herd towards her because they knew what would likely happen. It also might play into her thinking that humans have something to do with what she is since we look like her.

2. No idea really, but maybe the fact that humans have been around for such an insignificant amount of time compared to all that time she spent not talking or mimicking things has to do with it. Or maybe she's tried to mimic emotions before, and ends up overdoing it, and it's just really awkward.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Isn't the opposite Dunning Kruger?

Also I finally got off my rear end and ordered all the books...had to go on ebay for volume 2 since it is stupid rare for no apparent reason, at least compared to 1 and 3.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 27, 2012

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Freudian posted:

The opposite of Dunning-Kruger is Dunning-Kruger. It covers both sides of it.

Oh, well I guess that might be the answer then. I think I just see it used so much more in regards to incompetence, with Impostor Syndrome being brought up more for competent people who don't believe that they are.

However in regards to artists Cthulhuchan is dead on in my experience.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Oh gently caress me, the volume 2 book I bought on eBay just got refunded...and there's a sold out notice in my inbox...poo poo. Maybe I'll try looking for it locally while I just wait for it to pop up on Topatoco.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Nettle Soup posted:

If you're in the UK, check Amazon, for some reason there's two copies for <£20 at the moment.
Yeah I'm not unfortunately.

ShadeofBlue posted:

A few reasonably priced (~$30) ones have popped up on Amazon.com now as well, and Amazon.ca is selling them at the same price as books 1 and 3 (~$18).
But checking on this it would seem that there are $18~ ones on Amazon.com now...however I ordered one from a local bookstore yesterday for like 25...so oh well. Unless they're liars and it's out of stock too, then I hope these ones hold up.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Are we sure Mort is there as an example of what's being discussed and isn't just actually there? He could just be behind Jones, passing through, and is like, "oh hey it's Annie". At least it amuses me to think this is what's happening, that or he's behind Jones and actively mocking her.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Figures it'd be available there where Tea-san could get money more directly right after I got mine from some third party. A third party which deemed it appropriate to use the oddest packaging method I've seen for a book so far:

It's like they sealed it inside a piece of cardboard. It was mostly weird due to the size and because it didn't want to fold along the edges.

Do we have a good idea of when volume 4 will come out? Like in the past has there been a decent delay after the comics were up on the site, or should we be basically expecting it a few months after we get between 260~300 more pages from the end of volume 3? Actually I guess that puts us at the end of this arc or maybe the next one if it sticks with the pattern.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Freudian posted:

I almost feel sorry for Annie getting passed over today of all days, but... with any luck, she'll learn that there are consequences to her behaviour. If you disregard authority and break centuries-old treaties because you had a bad afternoon, guess what, you aren't considered trustworthy enough to represent said authority in an official context!!

But Jones already recommended the next medium before this all happened.

I agree with Fangz that Jones is probably talking about something else here, not to say that I think Annie is a shoe-in for next medium.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

SynthOrange posted:

Thanks Antimony. Thantimony.

Good job, now my co-workers think I'm insane for laughing so loud all of a sudden.

I saw the coyote avatars and realized they were based off coyote from the myths, and a bunch of them worked well without further context. That was when I would only see like 2 or 3 regularly and I figured it was either a comic or someone making avatars specifically. I had actually been linked to Gunnerkrigg Court a few years ago, but didn't read very far due to finding football-headed Annie off-putting. I think I really only got sufficiently curious when I started seeing other avatars of the characters and realized they were from the same thing (although I didn't connect the robot avatars to it until I had read those chapters, and I quite like those..except the boxbot ones obviously). Also a page or two was posted in the Funny Panels thread maybe. At any rate it came up somewhere else with a link to the actual comic and I kept clicking, as one does with this, and decided to go to the beginning and finished it up in a few days.

Just lent the books to some friends, sorta curious how quickly they'll burn through them since they're already on holiday break from school.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I kinda hope that tomorrow it'll be revealed that Robot acted too hastily in attacking and that other seraph was just defending itself. He'll be all like, "What the hell? We just wanted to talk...here's your arm back," but most likely they're there to arrest him or whatever.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I lost interest in Doctor Disaster and skipped to the next chapter, and subsequently skipped every Spacemonauts chapter in the archives. Have I missed any plot, or am I right to approach them as stand-alone adventures?

If you skipped the entire chapter there was one where the Spacemonauts bit ends like 2~3 pages in and it goes back to regular stuff, and there was some plot stuff there, yeah.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=570

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Huh...oh god drat I loving love this thing. It sorta crosses what I had in a way, Gunnerkrigg, and Blade Runner...I don't think I could've done a better job if I tried. Hell I even think they kept they beat.

Thank you mysterious avatar fairy, you're the best!

Also I hope Robot is okay and not currently being useful in the holding-many-pieces-of-paper-together kind of way like his old body :ohdear:

Edit2: Nvm, I can't read, need more coffee.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 4, 2013

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

FriggenJ posted:

Robot chapters are my favorite chapters period. They're all so cute, especially Robox.

In all honesty the first robot chapter is what made me fall in love with this comic. I still laugh every time I read the part where Boxbot first appears and is instantly regarded as terrible.

Given that robots can't lie, are they even capable of setting up a trap like this, or would they have to also state that those helpful instructions were part of said trap? Can robots lie via omission of facts?

I'm fairly certain there is no trap and the robots are really just that silly. Granted if they had been using their communications ports that conversation would have not only been inaudible but also only taken 1/25th of a second.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
It could be about both Kat and Annie, maybe the robots are just trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Also I hope that when the robots do ambush them they shout, "This is NOT an ambush!" or something to that effect.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Iceclaw posted:

Yes, robots, pick a fight with the uncredibly powerful and rather violent shapeshifter that likes to take the form of a huge wolf. That's not going to end up with you reduced to scraps, no siree. :allears:

I didn't know Shadow liked taking the form of a wolf :)

Still not sure if this is an intentional trap since they declared them to be trespassers. It's probably a trap, but the idea that the seraphs like to hang out in warehouses on the rafters amuses me a great deal.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Aren't these the modern model? I mean I thought they were past being etherically powered after the first generation and they don't look like S1s, I mean they're pretty clearly S13s. Maybe S12s, but we don't know what the in between models look like...also while looking for those pages I found, ugh, that guy.

efb...oh well.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

MikeJF posted:

I think S13 wasn't the model number, it was the specific robot. He was the 13th S-model.

Well I guess that's possible, but that might not make a difference unless they're all just the model right after S1 and they didn't improve it much. To me it seems more likely that it's a model number, if not, then I guess that model got really popular recently, that or I'm just imagining the incremental advancement of court robots over the years incorrectly.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

MikeJF posted:

Or they self-upgrade as they advance. After all, if you were a robot, why wouldn't you? No reason to be left behind.

Touche. Granted if you go this route with most tech it quickly becomes obvious that it's easier to just build something new rather than upgrade, but if they're doing it themselves I could see this being the case. Might also explain the altered chip.

Prison Warden posted:

The robots seem to be numbered based on their CPUs anyway, since Robot is still considered S13, rather than being reclassified or anything, so it makes sense that they just upgrade as they go, presuming they have upgraded and they aren't still all working off the original model's designs.

This page concurs with you. Alright.

So he's the 13th Seraph...or they took a page in numbering from video cards, in which case who knows.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I feel like not only should Robot have known about this, but also that he should have been able to easily use this knowledge to win the rooftop fight. Maybe it's some sort of robot-taboo.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

CannonFodder posted:

I went back to check on that button (and it even makes the same sound back then) and saw another call-back that I read recently.

On this page --- http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=6 --- Annie's awkward phrasing seemed familiar. That's because Kat says something similar here --- http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=763

I love finding little touches like that, and I bet Tom loves making them.

Ha, same pose too. It's the little things that make re-reading this so great. Really makes you wonder what things we've seen more recently that will get a callback later, or some things early on that never got one, like those paintings in the library with the footprints.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

seravid posted:

Yeah, I just ordered the first book for my brother's birthday and I'm a little worried. I'd feel a lot better if I could give him all three volumes, but the second one is out of stock (as always).

Check local shops for the second volume, that's how I ended up finding it. Also the art improves fairly quickly, when the first volume ends Annie's head looks fairly non-football~ish.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

seravid posted:

I don't think that'll work in my corner of the world. Googling around, the one (1) store selling a GC book calls it "Gunnerkrigg Courtorientation", not a good sign.

Well I meant like walk into a comic book store or something similar and look, or call them first to save a trip. Granted if there aren't any nearby then...poo poo. Also that orientation book isn't it, it isn't it at all :(

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Kat is clearly a robot angel or something similar based on what Zimmy sees her as with her crazy wizard eyes. Then again when you have crazy wizard eyes sometimes you see things that are real, and other times it's like crazy, crazy, crazy, in your face all the time. So that could go either way.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Love the callback to football head Annie.

Except by chapter 12 her head was mostly not a football, but it still got a laugh out of me.

The other implication here is that the robots don't have photographic memories, but we know that to be false thanks to WitnessBot. Granted the wanted poster could look like that because they realized she must have been a robot since she wouldn't have been in the robots' place otherwise.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Cat Mattress posted:

WitnessBot is built to witness, but that is not necessarily true of the other robots.
Good point.

There was also that little robot that Diego built for Jeanne that could not only remember/witness things perfectly but also project them...man, that's really creepy now that I think about it. "Here's a tiny robot for you Jeanne. What's it do? Oh, it certainly doesn't record everything it sees to later be projected on a wall in video, certainly nothing like that."

I think I'll continue thinking that it was just a case of the SketchArtistBot listening to the DoorBot and PervBot's description with the preconceived notion that it was a robot that broke S13 out of robo-jail.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Drakyn posted:

Well, she sort of knew it was a thing. Though I guess she never pressed them for details.

"Oh Gunnerkrigg links. I'm sure this will only take a second, I'll just read these references, nod, and move on."

30 minutes later.

"Dammit...it happened again. You win this time Gunnerkrigg!" :arghfist::v:

Consequently I got distracted and read Red Gets a Name again, so it's really all my fault.

In doing so I got a kick out of Jonesy appreciating Shadow's uniqueness on the train over to Foley.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Great, now I really want a spin-off where Kat and Coyote team up to use super science and etheric magic to play tricks on people while creating impossible things. I get the feeling that they'd be nigh unstoppable.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Tupperwarez posted:

Holy poo poo. And they grow when you plant them in the ground and everything. Holy poo poo.

Even if what Kat is growing isn't a Tic-Toc, the S-series guys are still going to flip their loving cores because guess what? Kat is essentially making a seed bismuth.

I love this goddamn comic.

I don't think the Tic-Tocs do grow in the ground. Pretty sure Ysengrin was lying about that since Red mentioned he came by a little bit after Annie left and killed her and that blue jabrony that was with her instead of showing up a few months later like he said.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Regy Rusty posted:

You misunderstood this revelation. It's not that the Tic-Toc didn't grow, it's that Ysengrin deliberately left it to grow so they'd have something to be angry about.

Hmm, guess I missed the bit about him burying it. Here's Ysengrin lying and here's Red saying what he did. Wonder wtf that was about then.

Also I smirked cause a few pages before that Red mentioned that fish guy.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
drat is this comic ever great, hadn't even thought about Coyote doing that. There's so much going on and so many callbacks and such that I suspect Tom's notes for the story are just plastered on the walls of a room with a web of yarn pinned up connecting various plot points and details :tinfoil:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Mazerunner posted:

Obviously they're writing NOT an angel's workshop and NO important research going on.

As much as I want this to happen I doubt it, however I fully expect there to be signs post outside Kat's lab that say stuff along those lines by the end of this.

Tupperwarez posted:

Congratulations, Katerina Donlan! You've solved our 12-dimensional word jumble! First prize is... YOUR VERY OWN FREE DOOR HOORAY! *smash*

They run off into the distance, never to be seen again.

An outcome involving another free door will probably cause me to die of laughter. I don't know why but that gag always makes me laugh, mainly because it's what I always think whenever I see a hole in a wall, "Hey, free door! Score!"

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Ursine Asylum posted:

e: Added link to spite anyone who wanted to get work done today.

1) gently caress you. 2) Coyote is talking to us here in the first panel. Given the rest of the chapter this amuses me greatly.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Are we even sure that the Court as it is now is against a Forest friendly medium? Maybe they'd like to bridge the divide between the Court and the Forest for whatever reason.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

.Z. posted:

I think the Court will always be against a Forest friendliness. All the actions taken by the Court we've seen have been bent towards the gathering of power:

-Splitting the Forest and the Court
-Sacrificing Jeanne and her lover to make the water a barrier
-Having Surma lure Reynardine
-Gathering gifted children
-Etheric Power Stations

As Coyote said, the Court is man's endeavor to become God.
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=497

And there is a difference between being against something and flat out rejecting it. Having a Forest friendly medium that can actually interact with the Forest is better than having a Court friendly medium that the Forest will not interact with.
Those first two happened a long rear end time ago, I'm talking about current administration, but you've got some decent points for them being against a better alliance too, although I could see those things possibly being misconstrued. I still suspect they'd like to be on better terms than the lets-kill-one-of-our-own-or-her-forest-lover-or-whatever-to-put-up-a-barrier-cause-gently caress-the-forest guys.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I don't know why exactly but trying to speculate on this feels like some catch-22 or game show thing like the Monty Hall problem or the fake(it should be real) show from 30 Rock: Homonym ("It's always the other one!"). There's just so many valid reasons for this to go either way, and also a multitude of bullshit reasons as well as anything that could come out of left field yet be completely reasonable once explained.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Zenzirouj posted:

He pretty much always has some scuffs on his face. I'm not sure if they're supposed to be scars or if he's just bad about washing his face. You'd think Jones would have taught him better. Speaking of which, I can see her strutting down the street giving that nod to folks she passes by.

Jones's kisses probably leave bruises. She'll get it right in another century or two.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
This is really beginning to feel like it's neither of them...also beginning to feel like American Idol. "Headmaster out!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Jon Joe posted:

Also I can't believe none of you have realized it; the medium is going to be Tea!

As brick-shittingly mindfucking as that'd be, I would totally buy that happening on Friday (or Monday after the headmaster powers up to his final form).