Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I wonder if the Wandering Eye bit is somehow related to this rather small (yet importantly focused) look at a certain necklace...

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=513

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Calico Noose posted:

Does anybody else find it a little weird that Kat is more tanned than Annie, despite the fact that Annie has spent the entirety of summer living the forest and Kat has spent it in Scotland?

Forests involve a lot of tree-cover. Tree cover kind of prevents tanning.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zereth posted:

:smug:

Well, okay, we don't know that yet, but it's using technology to chat amiably with them or something, so I feel fairly confident in being :smug:.

Congratulations you guessed one of like 4 possible general solutions to the conundrum of "Is this Crab Related to Annie, Is It dangerous" (yes, yes; yes, no; no, yes; no, no), this is truly a remarkable feat of statistics!!!!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
We're building up an endless chain of INTERRUPTED CONVERSATION. This entire chapter will be one point introduced then interrupted, page to page.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
If this is another reference to the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter I am going to be cross.

Just because I am really, really getting tired of the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.

Still, it'll probably move fairly fast so hey.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Oneiros posted:

I'm thinking more along the lines of China's Chang'e. The rabbit fits.

Rabbits are associated a ton with the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, and it's referenced CONSTANTLY in everything because it's one of the first pseudo sci-fi stories in Mythology.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tea-san posted:

Thanks for your interest!

:sbahj:

Also come on guys, surely you have something less weird you can talk about.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Milli posted:

There's symbolism in this comic, but damned if I know what it is

The symbolism is that Zimmy is a Velociraptor. God, do you even read the comic??

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Jones is probably one of many myriad mythological entities that a person could be. Whooooooo knooooooows.

It'll end up that her ancestor was also an elemental. A rock one. (It was just a rock)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

farraday posted:

Was it a male or female rock?

Rocks don't have genders! God do you know nothing about geology?

It was definitely igneous though.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Wahad posted:

I'm not sure about this, because Annie mentioned in chapter 32 that Ysengrin "tried" to explain what Jones is. If Jones is full or part elemental, surely she wouldn't have made such a cryptic comment.

I dunno, I think Ysengrin would have a hard time explaining that a dude once got a rock pregnant without it sounding weird!!

(It was a joke.)

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Perhaps it was both stories at the same time. He was a young undercover street racer slash stableboy with a penchant for doing wheelies in flaxen fields, she a horsestreetracer, and there they met.

I'm guessing how they actually met was terribly embarrassing.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

farraday posted:

Hah, the only reason for the last two comics is Tom wanted to draw ponies and cars.

Dramatic horses and cars...

Gunnerkrigg Court was Ohtori Academy all along??

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Clearly Eglamore is the Prince, which means that Coyote is Akio? Which means that Coyote is Eglamore.

It's all coming together.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I dunno, Coyote talks about how he's tried to give Ysengrin more of his power and that Ysengrin refuses it or whatever, didn't he? Seems to me that Ysengrin just is very stuck in his ways.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Bip is one of my favorite sound effects.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's kind of funny how right her friends are, and she won't even admit it. It's not even like she's lying to agree with them, she's lying to agree with them by disagreeing with them and playing it cool. Except they're so, so very right about the whole thing.

Also Tea-san: If you do decide to go with some sort of more extranationally accepted kickstarter thing, please do feel free to post it in here. I am pretty sure no one is at all opposed to you getting money to work on stuff like this.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zenzirouj posted:

I like to think they're constantly busting Renard's balls about that kind of thing. "Yeah, he always knows exactly what women are thinking! He'll never get tied down to just one lady like some kinda chump! No dame ever gets the upper hand over ol' Renarppffffffahahahahaahaha"

Well yeah. It doesn't help that Renard apparently thinks he's some kind of ladies expert. "yeah, I know what it's like with human ladies, being a trickster fox who fell in love with a lady like 20 years ago,"

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Anyone else get a feeling of ominous, foreboding dread from that third panel?

Eventually robot is going to be given a Real Name and he'll fully begin his descent into robo-madness.

And that name will be BOXBOT.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Glad I got more of you to read it!

For myself, I started reading it after it was linked, like many good webcomics, in the old PHIZ webcomics thread before it totally went rabid and I had to put her down. Can't remember precisely where I jumped in, been far too long.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I think it's more just her reading too much into stuff after Paz interpreted her and Antimony's friendship was more than that, I guess? She's getting defensive now.

E: Renyardine acting like some kind of lady connisuer is sort of weird given he's a fox come on Renyardine you are/ were kind of a creeper when you lust after human women :stare:

Zorak fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 11, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bats Everywhere posted:

This is debatable.

I think you're confusing unthinking and unthinkable.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Pretty off topic guys!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

loquacius posted:

Wait.

Wait wait wait.

Gunnerkrigg Court is a school, right? The school where Annie and Kat and everybody else goes is just called Gunnerkrigg Court. And the vast maybe-abandoned-maybe-not urban cityscape where it's located is ALSO just called Gunnerkrigg Court? Implying that the only purpose any of it is being put toward is as a boarding school, which can't possibly be utilizing all that real estate? This is confusing because I've never really thought it through before.

I don't think they imply how far "up" the school goes. For all we know, there's university level, which would correspond to higher level research. Bear in mind the size of university campuses and how large their connected scientific institutions can be.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
ROBROHUG d'awwww.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
SO MUCH HUGGING

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Revolver Bunker posted:

Reading on in that chapter I hope we get to see Basil the Minotaur again.

We did see him pretty recently, when Annie came back from the forest. He'd grown a goatee.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

mrpwase posted:

What are you talking about? Eglamore's right there.

Stop. This joke has been ran into the ground and firmly ruined through dull repetition. Just stop.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tender Child Loins posted:

HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE I PRANKED? TELL ME: DO YOU REMEMBER HOW MANY BREATHES YOU HAVE TAKEN?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Orbital mechanics, a fine choice.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Kismet posted:

Or maybe science is super interesting when you've lived in a magic forest with a living god your whole life!

Or maybe science is just super interesting!

Remember: even Kat and Annie were taking "Double Physics" and such!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Revolver Bunker posted:

Blue doesn't look too happy to see Annie in a fiery blaze.

A FIRE ELEMENTAL KILLED MY FAIRYDOG

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
You go and summon that Shoggoth, Blue. Why the hell not.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Why do I get the feeling that this situation will result in the equivalent of an ethereal pair of shades descending into Red's face? Her face already looks like she needs a pair.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'm guessing the surprise at the end is that she was called "Red". This is Her Getting A Name, I think. To us all she was "Red", but was she ever called that in the comic?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zorak posted:

I'm guessing the surprise at the end is that she was called "Red". This is Her Getting A Name, I think. To us all she was "Red", but was she ever called that in the comic?

Call me Duke of Called that poo poo because I

Called

That

poo poo.

Congratulations Red!!!!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Olivia42 posted:

I had always imagined this page to be a memory, but on my last reread I realized it's more a dream. "He still loves you very much" and so forth pertains to the current situation. :unsmith:

Except Tom's note implies it's a memory. So Surma was basically false and he loathes his daughter for killing his wife. dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Or maybe he's trying to find a way to reverse the process that resulted in Annie "stealing" her mother's fire (in essence killing Annie to resurrect her mother) as he only really cared about Surma and his daughter essentially killed her (thought to no fault her own) :unsmigghh:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

The Walker posted:

Edit: I don't think Tom would do that, though. It seems a bit too dark for Gunnerkrigg.

It's not like we haven't had multiple characters murder people over love woes in this comic or anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

karmicknight posted:

So, what is Donald doing that with Jones' phone that would require a Fzzak and cause it to produce a light source?

Also, Annie's self-control ritual is amusing but she's looking a little worse for wear.

He could be using Annie's recollection of the exchange to recreate the exchange itself in some way via ~ powas ~, which may in some way help with tracing it. I guess?