Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yeah, my school (just an ordinary school, not one of those fancy expensive boarding schools or anything) had us divided into four houses named after Scottish castles. There wasn't any points-scoring competition like in Harry Potter though, it was just for organising classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I don't understand this strip at all. "What was all this?" "You did all this just to get me back" All what? Jack's talking like he's just been the victim of some big organised thing, but all Annie did was turn him down when he showed an interest in her. I feel like I accidentally skipped a page or something.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Hasn't she already been detached from her body once before, when she used the blinker stone to look down in the gorge and got stuck there with Jeanne? I remember Jeanne holding the stone and the end of Annie's hair being all wound around it.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

The only way this could be better is if the final panel were animated.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Cestrian posted:

Such as, for instance, her dad performing surgery on her.

Hmm, now that you say that...

He had Donny and Annie send surgical scalpels up to his satellite. He called Annie, so he wanted her involved with the process. Now we have something going on that's being etherically represented as a bunch of pointy things coming down out of the sky and into her.

:tinfoil:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Somewhere in Kat's ancestry is some guy who had sex with a robot. Hey, it isn't any harder to believe than doin' it with fire. :v:

Humans' ability to find beauty in anything etc etc

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I'm going for choice 5, which is that this is just banter and they were doing poo poo like this the entire time she was there over the summer. Next page will be the two of them cracking up laughing and Ysengrin just shaking his head.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Coyote's had so many stories told about him he just always assumes he's in one right now.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Nipponophile posted:

The greatest trick Coyote ever pulled was convincing the world he does not exist.

No no, him not existing is the great secret. The trick was him convincing the world that he DOES exist. :eng101:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Don't be so human-centric Annie, the elves and fairies in the forest have bodies that shape too :colbert:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

So when Ysengrin accused the court of planting the tick tock bird on the riverbank, maybe he genuinely didn't remember that he'd buried it there himself?

Goddamn I'm going to have to reread this whole thing to see what else might have changed with this

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

A student posted:

Jones was an ice queen until Jimmy Jims melted hear heart.

Sadly, for someone with an ice elemental in their ancestry, having their heart melted is fatal.

Next chapter will be a timeskip to Jones and Eglamore's daughter arriving at the court as a new student. Eglamore hasn't been seen in years.

(Actually he's still around but nobody ever recognises him)

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Cabbit posted:

I might be mixing my Homestuck and Gunnerkrigg theories, but maybe she's literally an agent of the author stuck into the world to make sure everything proceeds as it should. That would fit the "not an existing mythology" criteria.

I really hope not. It works in Homestuck because of the tone of the story, the fact that multiple universes are canonically a thing, and most importantly, because Hussie avoids putting his insert character anywhere near anything that's meant to be taken seriously. Here it would just be stupid.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

What is Jones? Jones IS.

Seriously, she has been forever.

Th really interesting thing about this page is the way some of her hair is protruding from the sediment (sedimentary rock?!), like it was laid down over her whilst she just stood there, hair wafting in the current...

The really interesting question is how much of this Jones can *remember*...

So one eon she was just so bored she fell asleep long enough for continents to shift, an ocean to form, and sediment to almost cover her?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court is in continuity with Homestuck. Jones was in one of the meteors.

Then her origin is that she's a clone of herself. Another mystery solved!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Jeanne posted:

And then they made me watch as they killed my elf lover in front of me :gonk:

Fixed that for you.

I kind of want to see fanart of this crossover now

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Okay, when I first saw this new avatar I was on my phone with a browser that can't do animation, and I could only think "Goddammit I liked my old avatar"

Now I can see it in its full glory, I'm not so upset anymore.

Edit:

YES

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Kantesu posted:

This, I think just boils down to "Annie is narrating, therefore Annie makes herself look more competent and better than she really is."

This made me think of a page in one of the later chapters, where we find out Kat has had an overinflated idea of Annie's knowledge of robotics the whole time because of how she built Robot in the first year, and Annie has to shamefacedly admit that she doesn't know the first thing about making robots, she found all the parts in a box and they just snapped together like she was building something out of lego.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I always assumed the "time stood still" bit was literal, but that's probably because I spent my childhood reading Discworld and the idea of a psychopomp being able to step outside of the flow of time whenever they want to seems like a natural assumption now

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

"Something tells me you are a lucky one, mighty eyebrows boy!"

Welp, he already knows what Smitty's power is then.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Clearly the letter is from Kat's old boyfriend. It's hard to write without hands, but with a computer he can at least use the hunt-and-peck method.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

ymgve posted:

Or trying to manipulate Annie by playing the innocent toy?

I'm not sure how that would work, considering that he's far more of a mischievous rear end in a top hat when he's in the toy form.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Casull posted:

Junji Ito. :getin:

Zimmy would be perfect in any of Ito's worlds.

Oh god, I can totally imagine the faceless people in Zimmy's world being something he would come up with. And the twist that sometimes real people are faceless to Zimmy, too.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Now I want to see the creation of Adam and Eve getting interrupted by Jones wandering by and god getting upset

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

You really have to be careful about interpreting what Coyote says, huh? "You cannot be sure that will happen" is not the same as "I'm sure that won't happen." :allears:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Well, I was not expecting those two to have become buddies. :stare: And it seems like this has been going on for a while? I want to know how they overcame their differences now!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I think there's a chance there's at least some international clientele. Annie learned Polish and met Muut at Good Hope.

There's a pretty sizable Polish population in the UK. Also any university town will have quite a mix of nationalities.

About the homework copying: I remember her doing it that one time, but has there been anything to show that she's done it a lot? I see people here talking about Annie ignoring her schoolwork for years and I'm not sure where that impression's coming from.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Which is probably one of the reasons the headmaster turned her down for the role.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Oh shiiiit. So Ysengrin is aware his memory is full of holes, but doesn't know why. That means every time Coyote does this to him, he has a sudden moment of horrified realisation and is all "Noooooo", and then it's done and he's back to not knowing what's wrong with himself.

And I thought that page couldn't give me the heeby-jeebys worse than it already did. :gonk:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

What is going on in those first two panels? At first I read it as her coming out of the ether back into the real world, but she wasn't in ethereal mode in the last strip. There's just a weird unexplained glow in the last panel, and the first panel of today's.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

AE-35 Unit posted:

I think he's smiling at both the new possibilities being fire buffed offers him and that Annie has shown more strength in his eyes. It's almost as if he planned this from the start! Maybe not in this exact fashion but to force her to do something.

Yeah, pretty sure this was Annie's crash course in forest diplomacy, and that last panel grin means she just passed the test.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Maybe after the rhythm games they're going to play some Kirby's Epic Yarn

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Kat. Kat what are you doing?

This research is all very fascinating, but I'm not sure that giving your girlfriend the impression that this stuff is romantic for you is a good idea :v:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Fecha posted:

Wait a minute, Kat never voiced aloud her concern that they're just hanging out as friends. Mind reader confirmed?!

That, or she'd figured out what Kat was stressing about, and was just teasing her by playing dumb before giving her a kiss out of nowhere and running off. She is starting to seem like the mischievous type. Look at that face as she was leaving!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I predict that any opposition that does appear will be from characters within the court, while people from the forest will struggle to understand how it's even an issue.

I'm sure those "Nature doesn't have the gay!" people will love that :v:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Just noticed this. Why didn't Surma like the real OG?

Because rock's super effective against fire

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

She doesn't seem at all bothered by Zimmy and Gamma. Well, not for that reason anyway.

She's friendly towards Gamma, at least. :v:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

She would've but the lab was already on fire when she got there

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Yeah, that might be true for a dictionary definition of "normal", but it's a loaded word and a lot of people take "not normal" to mean "bad". Both people who don't like what's different to themselves, and people who are "different" and worry about not being accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

the same syncophantic scream of "kawaii!" heard throughout the thread.

Throughout which thread? Because that's never happened in this one. :confused: