Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Has no meaning posted:

I try to wait until a whole chapter is finished before reading, treating it like a comic book instead of the webcomic it is.

Gunnerkrigg as a quarterly? Actually, I'd be interested in seeing what Tom Siddell could turn out art-wise with that much time to work with in between releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Dodgeball posted:

Booyah

I said this when it was first released, but that arrow is designed to trap something - probably a spirit - not to pierce.

Who is the man on top left here? It isn't Steadman, Sir Young, or Diego.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Roflex posted:

The only thing I was disappointed with was the lack of a printed version.

http://www.amazon.com/Gunnerkrigg-Court-Vol-1-Orientation/dp/1932386343/ref=pd_sim_b_1

http://www.amazon.com/Gunnerkrigg-Court-Vol-2-Research/dp/1932386777/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Roflex posted:

Ok I am now also disappointed with the lack of an obvious link on the website. And with my bank account, now.

Man, thirty five bucks is a night out with your significant other at a restaurant. You can set up a date with your girl at your apartment one weekend, I'm sure she won't mind.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mr.Radar posted:

The OP should also link to Tom's Formspring page. It's basically his question box and he says he responds to every question (except questions about Reynard's body swapping powers, because people always seem to get obsessed with the "rules" about how it works whenever it's brought up). He's answered more than 6300 questions to date and has revealed a lot of interesting background info, most of which is summarized in the "Word of Tom" series of pages on the Wiki.

For someone who's so good about answering questions he sure doesn't sound like he enjoys it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I hate to be "that guy" but saying that Gunnerkrigg is mistake-free or is a masterpiece would be kind of insulting if I were Tom Siddell. It's very good, yes, but it has a lot of room to improve, and I'm sure he sees tons more areas to improve than I do.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The real question here is was Jeanne being straightforward or speaking in metaphor when she said they shot and trapped her heart in the river?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Sulevis posted:

Don't be silly, she was in love with the elf dude. "Leaving one's heart" is not an uncommon expression.

There's "twist" and there's "technicality" and I highly doubt elf dude was her literal heart come to life. (Parley's chest is glowing due to her "gleaming heart", whatever that is.)

I don't know... initially I agreed with you and I still want to agree with you but "the useless shell of my body was ensnared by the green light and discarded over time" makes it sound like something's up. We didn't see a green light in the earlier river scenes, did we?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fuego Fish posted:

Haha oh yes I'm just that guy who hates everything, that's my schtick, I'm not even a real person I'm just a loving algorithm programmed by an insane computer.

This isn't doing much for your image.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What exactly is Jeanne using the blinker stone for? Physical manifestation? Can't be that, as they're all in the spirit world and we already know she's capable of harming Annie in that state.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
So Parley is going to become a Heartless?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
How is it not "alone"? She saw her lover killed before her eyes and is angry at Parley for daring to have emotions and love, and all that stuff.

Clearly what Jeanne needs is a group hug.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Why is she patrolling in a dress and not at least a fencer's uniform?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

It's the same dress she was in when the killing of Elfdude and binding of her.

I know. That's what I'm asking the guy who posted above me, who suggested that Jeanne was on a routine patrol and got backstabbed.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tea-san posted:

Nah, it's supposed to be like that. I take care to make sure what is and isn't passing outside of the page frame on these types of pages.

It does look a bit incongruous, since it's a flat line cutoff right before a flat line cutoff (the natural end of the page) and everything else flows to the end of the page. Though if you say it's intended, then it's intended.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I want to add that I absolutely love the paneling and attention to reading flow in those spirit-world pages.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Cabbit posted:

If this is your idea of boring I'd hate to see you on Spring Break.

Spring Break Smitty should totally be a guest week theme.

He'd make the perfect party.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Pick posted:

The fans!!

I'm not really seeing how this chapter is any less ambiguous than the rest of the comics - I think you're just seeing some plot lines that have previously been hinted at start to hit their peaks. You can't hint at everything for the entire duration of the story.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

The 19th Person posted:

Then the first panel of this page is them standing motionless. I was under the impression that they wouldn't have time to stand ramrod straight and perfectly still with Jeanne slashing at them.

Judging from the white lines in the background, it looks like they're in the middle of being transported out of the ethereal realm. I have to imagine that it isn't instant.

edit: beaten, I shouldn't leave tabs open.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=775

What are those strips of pale color on each side? I was originally thinking forcefield but I'm not really sure.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mido posted:

I always wonder if people ever manage to guess the plot and reveals successfully, forcing the author/artist to change his original plan.

Ah, the Rich Burlew conundrum.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's funny that you bring up GRRM since Song of Ice and Fire is an excellent example of what we're talking about here - hints and oblique references to a twist that'll pop up later in the plot. I have several guesses about what's going to happen in the next couple books that I'm very confident about (and not just the RLJ theory) and the Raven thing seems pretty solid as well for GC.

I really enjoy rereading stuff and seeing all the references and nods to stuff that hasn't happened yet. It really gives the world that Siddell (or Martin) is building a feeling of solidity and reality. Compare to, say, Harry Potter, where half of the series is just Rowling winging it and the first books don't feel linked to the later books, but the later books reference the first books a lot.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fangz posted:

It's kinda silly though - doesn't the standard fanfiction disclaimer ('I don't own this, the author does, don't try to make money off this, and if any copyright holder complains I'll take this offline') basically cover his objections? His approach basically presupposes an impossibility of having a reasonable relationship with one's fans.

Most people are reasonable. It's those rare crazy nuts that cause trouble, and they cause way way way more trouble than proportional, so he and other creators have to go out of their way to protect themselves.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

McGravin posted:

What about the hands?

The only issue with the hands that I can see is that they don't actually have any weight to them - they look like they're just on top of whatever they're doing (holding the mask, unbuttoning) rather than actually DOING those things.

It's kinda a small thing. Otherwise, :confused:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder if it's because Tom is at NYCC or if it's because the fen swarmed it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I consider "fen" a derogatory term.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I can't put my finger on why but Parley's face looks odd in panel 3 and I can't unsee it anymore.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

A student posted:

I love the Aztec Viking drawing :)

That's ICO.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm clearly overthinking it, but why would Parley need Smitty's assistance if she can already teleport with "unerring accuracy"?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Today's page really makes Surma seem like a jerk.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

The 19th Person posted:

I hope it's one-sided. It would be creepy as hell otherwise.

Bestiality has a long, long history and lots of precedence.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Psych posted:

I don't think we can really blame Coyote for treating Ysengrin like crap. Ysengrin is a pathetic hanger on with no sense of humor and anger management issues. Whipping boy is just about the only useful function the guy can serve.

I'm almost certain that Ysengrin has some emotional issues in his past and that's why he's the way he is today. Not just the suit of armor, his behavior and attitude is a way of protecting his own vulnerability.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Interesting development. Up until now the main character seemed to be the sincere, dedicated type and difficulty at school was not expected. Now she both took her friend's homework without permission and tries to copy it. Strange.

Are you a robot?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fangz posted:

Well, there were hints all over the place. E.g.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=110

Check out the comment there. "A knife is a good gift. Handy and practical." Hmm :)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The key to figuring this out, I think, is figuring out why Surma's mother/Annie's grandmother being dead is relevant to the story like Tom said it was.

blazelust posted:

Reminder:

http://www.formspring.me/gunnerkrigg/q/738382970

Tom posted:

Is Surma's mother still alive?
No, she died. That's kind of integral to the entire story.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

brainwrinkle posted:

Actually, Tom misread that question, it's not actually that important.

http://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg

:shobon:

Well, then. So no phoenix bloodline then as the grandma isn't important to the story. Wonder what it could be then.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ka0 posted:

I hate that you made me look that up on tvtropes.

:psyduck: How do you know what TV Tropes is but not know what Chekhov's Gun is? That's one of the most famous tropes and was named long long before that site was created.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Stages of grief:

Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ka0 posted:

See also: Darth Vader.

Ysengrin is secretly Anthony Carver? :eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Talas posted:

This page looks like a flashback, but I don't see the rounded corners so I think it's a dream.

:confused: The top two panels have rounded corners. The bottom panels don't, which means there's going to be another flashback page or two.