Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Try This

EDIT: Its since been taken down.

PrinnySquadron fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone thinking of running a game/need a replacement player?

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
Oh hey, the wrap-up for the Ivory timeline's been released:

http://www.spookyelectriconline.com/L5R-OnyxDawn-LoRes.pdf

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Does that include the mantis sealing away their own founder?

taichara
May 9, 2013

Tunicate posted:

That I'm not sure of; I haven't gotten it all read yet myself. Apparently it's pretty condensed from the original outline for the end arc(s) though.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Tunicate posted:

No, sorry. That didn't make it in, I'm afraid.

If you guys would rather use an "official" link for the PDF, they are also hosting it at Kaze no Shiro right here.

When they sold the franchise, AEG requested that we finish as much as we can so we could leave the storyline in a good place for FFG. I'll be honest; most of the Story Team just quit right there. It was a pretty disheartening situation that really sapped a lot of motivation to write. But some of us kept writing anyway and... well, here it is.

I know the metaplot is generally not well received here, and I know this document is not perfect. It's not how we wanted to end things, that's for sure. To wrap things up, we had condense months and months of gradually-revealed plot into a handful of fictions. Things that we wanted to have bigger impact and importance, just couldn't anymore (the whole Scorpion Clan story, for instance, was never designed to be written in one fiction and was far more nuanced than how it is presented here), and we still wanted to leave open plot hooks just in case FFG really did want to pick up from here. (I have no idea what they're planning, btw. They might decide to start over from scratch.)

So I know it's not perfect and I know it's got flaws. But I really hope some of you enjoy it anyway. It's kinda sad for me to release these fictions knowing that they might be my last for L5R, wondering if I'd been a little better things would have gone differently. We spent a lot of months on this, not because we were asked, but because we wanted to. We wanted to give the L5R community a little closure. And speaking personally, I think I really needed some closure too.

L5R helped me rediscover my love for writing. I felt like I was a part of something bigger than myself, and for the first time in a long time, I felt like I mattered. I'll always be grateful for that.

Anyway. This post is longer than I intended. I hope you like it. I look forward to the future.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I appreciate the effort!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm glad you picked up the slack, honestly. I'll always have mixed feelings about the metaplot, which seems from the outside like a constant tug of war between design, fandom, marketing... and writing, of course. But the fans really deserve it and it's good to see. I remember when Doomtown was originally cancelled just at the big cliffhanger, which always left things rather bittersweet... and it's good that AEG at least recognizes this time around to seemingly not repeat that mistake with that game's revival, as well.

In any case, thanks for the hard work, it's great to see. I have more curious questions about L5R ending, but I don't know if you can answer anything like that.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Looks like ffg isn't going to nix heroes of rokugan, which means hor 4 is go, official announcement will be Saturday night after the nightmare war finale

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Interesting. Any way to get in on the ground floor, so to speak? How did the previous 2 work exactly?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Interesting. Any way to get in on the ground floor, so to speak? How did the previous 2 work exactly?

That will be interesting.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes. It's an old style living campaign, so all you need is a group, and you can play online, games are often organized on the forums.

The campaign will start at the Midwest game fest in November, and I'll post more details when I'm back from gencon.

Long story short, it'll be the same world as the third campaign, the first true sequel, two hundred years later, so we can see the fallout of some of the poo poo our pcs got up to. Everything is designed to be noob friendly, so don't feel like you had to be a player to join.

Oh, and it seems like they're going to keep assigning xp to players rather than characters, so if you die, you don't lose everything.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
This is the first time FFG has done this 'living campaign' stuff, isn't it?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Yes. It's an old style living campaign, so all you need is a group, and you can play online, games are often organized on the forums.

The campaign will start at the Midwest game fest in November, and I'll post more details when I'm back from gencon.

Long story short, it'll be the same world as the third campaign, the first true sequel, two hundred years later, so we can see the fallout of some of the poo poo our pcs got up to. Everything is designed to be noob friendly, so don't feel like you had to be a player to join.

Oh, and it seems like they're going to keep assigning xp to players rather than characters, so if you die, you don't lose everything.

I'm gonna see if I can't rope someone into running it. Or maybe rotate game master duties. I'd do it myself but I've got a pretty filled schedule and as such will probably miss quite a few games.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Al Baron posted:

This is the first time FFG has done this 'living campaign' stuff, isn't it?

The campaign will not be run by ffg. None of the previous campaigns were run by aeg, either. It was originally an rpga campaign, but broke off when wizards mandated all campaigns switch to d20.

The closest it ever was to affiliation is that they may have sponsored us for gencon, and we provided gms for their rpg events there. ...And they hired a few of our peeps for the rpg team, but none of those remained as campaign admins.

Literally all ffg has to do is sit back and let us do what we've been doing for sixteen years.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Oh hey Ninjadebugger

If you guys didn't already know, One Shot podcast had a great L5R game, recorded here: http://oneshotpodcast.com/podcasts/one-shot/92-legend-of-five-rings-rings-part-1/

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Okay, I have returned from GenCon, and can now talk more about Heroes of Rokugan 4: Champions of the Ivory Throne.

About that Champions of the Ivory Throne thing. In Heroes of Rokugan 3, a clearly just impulsive enough child empress Tsudao sent Rokugan across the ocean to invade the Ivory Kingdoms when, upon being informed that the Ivory Kingdoms intended to invade Rokugan, she remarked, "We'll just invade them first."

The heroic efforts of the clans and PCs therein resulted in a successful capture of Balishnipur, after which everything kind of went to hell back in Rokugan, as Bayushi Atsuki, who murdered and replaced Otomo Mitsuhide at Oblivion's Gate, attempted a coup by using a hosed up copy of Oblivion's Gate to summon heroes from the past under his direct control.

Through the sacrifices of a great many samurai, the coup was defeated and Tsudao retook her throne, and, after he received some therapy from the heir of Shinsei, Hantei Okucheo swore fealty to her and became the champion of the new Owl clan.

Most of the leadership of the great clans had died in one way or another, and many new lines ascended to power, and Heroes of Rokugan 4 takes place 200 years later, and will explore the consequences of all the poo poo that went down, especially in the Ivory Kingdoms, presumably.

A more official announcement is expected sometime this week.

While the original divergence point is Bayushi Atsuki masquerading as Otomo Mitsuhide, the first major divergence as a consequence of that is when an assassination attempt on Toturi the First goes horribly awry and Isawa Kaede, Oracle of the Void, is killed using the dragon claw katana. As a weapon made from the claw of the void dragon itself, some sort of horrific feedback loop happened and killed both Kaede and the void dragon itself, as well as the unborn Toturi Sezaru. poo poo sort of spiraled out of control from there.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 8, 2016

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Helical Nightmares posted:

Oh hey Ninjadebugger

If you guys didn't already know, One Shot podcast had a great L5R game, recorded here: http://oneshotpodcast.com/podcasts/one-shot/92-legend-of-five-rings-rings-part-1/

Seconding this, it was a great one shot of the game that breaks things done pretty well.

I was a bit disappointed we didn't see anything at Gencon but I guess that's a ways off.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Seconding this, it was a great one shot of the game that breaks things done pretty well.

I was a bit disappointed we didn't see anything at Gencon but I guess that's a ways off.

The LCG was officially announced this gencon, to be released next gencon. We're looking at a minimum of a year of lcg sales before they determine whether a 5e is worth making, which is why HoR4 is going ahead with 4e.

taichara
May 9, 2013

NinjaDebugger posted:

Okay, I have returned from GenCon, and can now talk more about Heroes of Rokugan 4: Champions of the Ivory Throne.

This sounds amazing and I hope the background/Clan information, at least, will be available on a website. I'm not sure how successful I'll be getting players herded but I'd love to see what I can lure them with.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

taichara posted:

This sounds amazing and I hope the background/Clan information, at least, will be available on a website. I'm not sure how successful I'll be getting players herded but I'd love to see what I can lure them with.

The initial announcement is out.

Chris Ward, campaign head for HoR4 posted:

The year is 1338. Rokugan has recovered well in the two centuries since Bayushi Atsuki slew Otomo Mitsuhide and stole his identity, all in an attempt to take the throne for himself. The two centuries that followed have been met with relative peace in Rokugan, and many scholars have begun to declare the beginning of another Thousand Years of Peace.

In the year 1337, the Shadowlands launched an attack against the Crab. Though the sons of Hida fought bravely, it swiftly became clear that the Wall would fall for the first time in centuries if not assisted. And so the Emperor, Toturi IX, ordered the Shogun to rally all of the Imperial Legions and personally took command heedless of the protests of his Shogun and Doji Makibesu, his Emerald Champion.

The might of the Imperial Legions all together was exactly what was necessary to break the Shadowlands against Rokugan's force: but it was not without cost. A sudden ambush towards the end of the battles took the life of Toturi IX, his eldest Son, and the Shogun. A new Shogun's tournament was immediately held, but there was a problem. The new heir to the Toturi Dynasty, a young man by the name of Toturi Shin-Zhu, was not in the Empire at the time of his father's death. Rather, for the past five years, the now heir to the dynasty of Toturi was in the gaijin city of Balishnimpur, studying and learning in a city far from home. Though letters were immediately sent, it would not be possible for the emperor to be officially crowned until the next spring.

1138 is here, and so now is the Coronation of Toturi Shin-Zhu, now Toturi X. His first request: on the day of the coronation, he wants to see Rokugan's future standing before him, instead of it's past and present. And so, in the dawn of a new era, you make your way to Otosan Uchi, that Toturi X may see his Heroes of Rokugan for the first time.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Glad I can talk about this now: FFG is releasing the Atlas of Rokugan on Drive Thru RPG: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/8/17/plan-your-journey/

The fold-out map won't be included in that bundle due to production issues, but they will be releasing the map as a separate product bundled with several others.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

My Delta Green game is about to go on a hiatus for a bit, so I'm about to start running 1st ed L5R for the first time in over 10 years. Are there any rules mods that are generally universally recommended?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
1e...?

Best advice is probably "play a later edition" tbh.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

ProfessorCirno posted:

1e...?

Best advice is probably "play a later edition" tbh.

What's wrong with 1e? I remember it being perfectly serviceable in its day, and I don't care about metaplot, so yeah.

Sir Mopalot
Jun 8, 2014

EdsTeioh posted:

What's wrong with 1e? I remember it being perfectly serviceable in its day, and I don't care about metaplot, so yeah.

If you don't care about metaplot... play 4e, it's explicitly to be played in whatever era you choose, and it's the most matured L5R system.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

Nobody is recommending later editions for the metaplot, it's just that the core of the game hasn't changed enormously and "4th edition" is an excellent answer to "what rules tweaks should I make to 1st edition L5R?" 4th edition even strives to be timeline neutral so the most you need to do as a GM is say "yeah, don't take schools from this clearly marked optional appendix." 1st edition is a good game (for a 90's RPG developed by John Wick), has some amazing fluff, and is still perfectly playable, but there are some pretty severe balance issues (i.e. skills being utterly ignorable) and underdeveloped mechanics that get cleaned up later (hard to recall it all- poo poo like instakill poisons, oni that would mathematically wipe out Rokugan in like a week, etc.). 4E also has significantly more mechanical support, the rules are easier to parse and far better laid out, etc. I'd play 1E over 2E for sure, and it's probably a tossup between 1E and 3E, but to my mind there's really nothing 1E does *mechanically* better than 4E, and quite a lot 4E does better than 1E.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Ok, that is a much more informative response. Thing is, I've got a knee high stack of 1e books, and don't have any plans of dropping any $$ on another edition. Specifically, I do remember skills being a bit oddly balanced; how does 4e change this?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

Ok, that is a much more informative response. Thing is, I've got a knee high stack of 1e books, and don't have any plans of dropping any $$ on another edition. Specifically, I do remember skills being a bit oddly balanced; how does 4e change this?

The traits are slightly differently balanced (traits are 4x instead of 5x next rank, except Void which is x6), there's no difference between Character Points and XP, skills go to 10, you get mastery abilities for many skills at ranks 3, 5, 7 and/or 10 which gives you a reason to actually invest in them

Mastery abilities were introduced in 3rd edition and make a big difference in the attractiveness of certain skills- i.e. if I'm a monk in 4E who fights with his hands I actually want to increase my Jiujitsu score in play because the mastery abilities give me a substantial boost (+1k0 damage at rank 3, a free raise on grapple at rank 5, +0k1 damage at rank 7, and a free raise at rank 10 [universal to all skills]). However they tended to load characters up with too many fiddly static bonuses to easily keep track of and 4th edition has pared them down to generally keep them simple, powerful, flavorful, memorable, and concentrated in core abilities players care about (which has swung things back a bit more towards traits because they dropped the universal +insight bonuses you got for having skills of a certain rank).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Generally the issues with 1e is that the schools aren't remotely balanced (heya, Akodo, Mirumoto), there's skill bloat in the supplements, Phoenix shugenja can go nova by dumping all their void into a single spell, a lot of the supplemental ancestors and schools are pretty badly written (I'm looking at you, Asako Ingen)... which isn't to say you can't enjoy it willy-nilly, but just bear in mind it's 90s design where a lot was written but very little was tested. Lethality is also really nasty and I'd suggest upping the wounds to Earth x 3 per rank at least.

4e mainly just dampens the issues, a lot of the oddities of the system never go away, it's just they're a lot more pronounced in 1e.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Generally the issues with 1e is that the schools aren't remotely balanced (heya, Akodo, Mirumoto), there's skill bloat in the supplements, Phoenix shugenja can go nova by dumping all their void into a single spell, a lot of the supplemental ancestors and schools are pretty badly written (I'm looking at you, Asako Ingen)... which isn't to say you can't enjoy it willy-nilly, but just bear in mind it's 90s design where a lot was written but very little was tested. Lethality is also really nasty and I'd suggest upping the wounds to Earth x 3 per rank at least.

4e mainly just dampens the issues, a lot of the oddities of the system never go away, it's just they're a lot more pronounced in 1e.

Don't forget that duels are broken as gently caress and might as well just read "have the highest void, even by a point, and you automatically win."

Shugenja, especially, are spectacularly breakable in 1e because spells worked the way kiho work now, they had individual mastery levels, and you could pretty easily get 5 starting ring, plus rank, plus affinity, and start with a spell that nowadays you wouldn't be able to access until rank 3+.

There's also the immense unevenness of the clan books, with Way of the Lion at the extreme bottom end (three new schools, all absolutely loving terrible), and Way of the Crane at the top (four? new schools, every single one incredibly loving broken, plus ancestors that made the rest of the clans go "Wait, what the gently caress?" plus shugenja who could make fantastic new magic items called fetishes that did things like cure wounds and nosell ranged attacks, plus crazy new skills and advantages)

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I'm getting ready to run L5R 4th for my group of friends. Most of us played the CCG during Jade/Pearl/Gold and a little in Celestial, so we're familiar with the eccentricities of Rokugan.

Is there a good pre-printed adventure get us started? None of us have any experience with the L5R RPG rules, and I'd like to give everyone a test adventure to let them (and myself) get comfortable with the rules before I expend a bunch of effort designing a campaign.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Xir posted:

I'm getting ready to run L5R 4th for my group of friends. Most of us played the CCG during Jade/Pearl/Gold and a little in Celestial, so we're familiar with the eccentricities of Rokugan.

Is there a good pre-printed adventure get us started? None of us have any experience with the L5R RPG rules, and I'd like to give everyone a test adventure to let them (and myself) get comfortable with the rules before I expend a bunch of effort designing a campaign.

http://heroes-of-rokugan.net/index.php?page=PriorCampaigns

Heroes of Rokugan 3, module SOB00, New Beginnings.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
The Free RPG Day L5R 4th Edition adventure is a fun little scenario that helps acclimate to 4th Edition rules very well. My buddy Brian Yoon wrote that one to introduce mechanics and present an example of conflict between duties. And it can fit into many campaigns without disruption. It might be worth a look for you.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Thanks. I'll look into both of these.

Does anyone have any advice for a new-to-L5R-RPG GM? Anything I should watch out for, or need to know off the bat?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

quote:

Resolutions: Secret of the Sacred Stones

A Storyline Tournament for the L5R CCG

In the year 913 by the Isawa Calendar, the Hantei known as the Iron-Willed Emperor visited the Crab lands. The Emperor was a stern and willful man, as befits one with such a nickname, and refused the escorts offered him by the Great Clans, choosing instead to be protected only by his elite unit of Seppun Guardsmen. When the Emperor’s entourage left the Scorpion lands, it was expected to arrive within the Crab lands in three days time. It arrived eight days later, and the Emperor informed the Crab that the delay was due to an independent village in between the two holdings, Sacred Stone Village, had been consumed utterly by wildfire. No one asked questions, because to question the Emperor was the greatest of sacrilege.

But that is not what happened.

The winner of this tournament will consult with the Story Team to create the story of Sacred Stone Village and its destruction, as well as determining the clan affiliation, and with story team approval the identity, of a lost hero of the Empire who saved the life of an Emperor.

https://www.l5r.com/2014/08/05/2014-fall-tournament-season-storyline-prize-list/

question what all happened here and who was the hero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Xir posted:

Does anyone have any advice for a new-to-L5R-RPG GM? Anything I should watch out for, or need to know off the bat?

By default the system is lethal as hell, though the corebook has some methods for mitigating that if you're not into it. Also, the players should stick to Great Clan characters at first.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 18, 2016

• Locked thread