Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Sort of on that note- I can't help but feel slightly in favour of the Kolat and the concept of Toturi as the mortal man who ascended to the Emerald Throne. The story arc of mortals overcoming the divine- Shinsei, Toturi, Hitomi and Yamato was one of the more interesting in my opinion. As "illuminati"-ish as the Kolat tend to be as antagonists, there is a decent scope for their use as protagonists. Has anyone ever tried running a Kolat game? Theres a bit of material on doing it in Enemies of the Empire, but I'm curious how it'd end up in play.

I have one planned out, I may test it out on TG at some point. The Kolat are pretty easy for "western" players to access since the guys who want to make a meritocracy and get rid of weird old religion are maybe more accessible to someone living in 2011 than a court system that disdains physical evidence in favor of status based testimony and where the Matsu are killing peasants in the fields for crossing the road at the wrong time.

The one real issue you might have is that the Kolat tend to be a hell of a lot more subtle than the average group of PCs, they would need to be on the down low for most of it and would have to elect to do specific things. That said, I think it is a really good idea for binding a group together. A group of "traveling artisans" from various clans would work as would a few other notions, I suspect.

Although I disagree with you about Hitomi. Dueling the moon is just arrrrgh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellicose Buddha
Mar 16, 2009

The tongue like,
A sharp knife,
Kills,
Without drawing blood.
You sure you want to draw yours?
The Kolat also have brethren out side Rokugan, though they may or may not know this. The Kolat was originally from the Burning Sands (spelled Qolat there.) In fact they are very much entrenched there, though not really much closer to their goals of over throwing religion, as the cultures in the Burning Sand tend to be much more merit based than Rokugan. There is a whole stranger in a strange land aspect one could do with a Kolat game where, maybe everything goes south and they have to flee the Empire for a while and they end up in Medinaat Al Salam for a bit, being some what guided about by their desert counterparts. Not saying jump into this aspect, but it would make for a nice change of pace during a long game.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Preview if the asako monks is up:

http://www.gametrademagazine.com/downloads/GTM136_L5RAsako.pdf

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I know this is some thread necromancy, but I recently was able to snag a copy of the handbook off amazon for 37 dollars since my group decided they wanted to give it a go. Seems really fun from what I've read.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I know this is some thread necromancy, but I recently was able to snag a copy of the handbook off amazon for 37 dollars since my group decided they wanted to give it a go. Seems really fun from what I've read.

S'cool. I was thinking about digging up the thread myself, when the newest book comes out this month, supposedly during, or just before GenCon.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Speaking of, are any of the splats "worth it" for a new player? Or are they more for advance play/metaplot toomfoolery.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 81 days!
Soiled Meat
Emerald Empire is definitely worth it if you want to know more about the culture you're playing in.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Speaking of, are any of the splats "worth it" for a new player? Or are they more for advance play/metaplot toomfoolery.

Enemies of the Empire is mostly worth it in that it gives you a nice variety of opponents and play options. The one issue are the Oni, which are virtually all invulnerable (and so unusable for most groups).

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mahoshonen posted:

Enemies of the Empire is mostly worth it in that it gives you a nice variety of opponents and play options. The one issue are the Oni, which are virtually all invulnerable (and so unusable for most groups).

Ono are perfectly usable for most groups, as long as you have at least one shugenja who took his elemental weapon spell of choice. It will be a hard fight, but that's l5r for you. My group has fire and earth shugenja and beat obi down even without their magic weapons, of which they have several now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bellicose Buddha posted:

The Kolat also have brethren out side Rokugan, though they may or may not know this. The Kolat was originally from the Burning Sands (spelled Qolat there.) In fact they are very much entrenched there, though not really much closer to their goals of over throwing religion, as the cultures in the Burning Sand tend to be much more merit based than Rokugan. There is a whole stranger in a strange land aspect one could do with a Kolat game where, maybe everything goes south and they have to flee the Empire for a while and they end up in Medinaat Al Salam for a bit, being some what guided about by their desert counterparts. Not saying jump into this aspect, but it would make for a nice change of pace during a long game.

The Qolat are rather more sympathetic, though, based on the fact that the gods in Burning Sands have a bigger history of being huge dicks.

Their formation was a direct result of the sun goddess, Shilah, razing...the, uh, the entire region. To the point where nothing can really grow there and it became the Burning Sands, killing off a good 90% of the population at the time.

I really don't blame the Qolat for holding a grudge, even if it was an rear end-long time ago, their gods suck.

(Burning Sands was great and I was sad when they never released any other books for it.)

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

OK I have a question, anyone think the Kiho were snuck in by someone with almost no playtesting?

Let's start with one that is useful but oddly fluffed:

pre:
STAIN UPON THE SOUL
Ring/Mastery: Air 3 (Atemi)
Type: Martial
This is a basic martial technique known to many sects of the 
Brotherhood, but one that is decried by several orders as im-
pure and wicked. Its ease of use and its terrible effect on oth-
ers are the reasons most often cited for this. You must make 
a successful  atemi attack against a target. This disrupts the 
fl ow of the target’s chi and causes crippling pain throughout 
the body, distracting them from everything else. The target 
suffers a penalty to all TNs as if he suffered from a number of 
Wound Ranks equal to your Air Ring. This lasts for a number 
of rounds equal to your Insight Rank plus your Air Ring. This 
effect cannot affl ict a target multiple times, and is superceded 
by actual Wounds, not cumulative with them.
So it's wicked to use a nonlethal tactic that might incapacitate a target without killing them? It would be BETTER for the peaceful monks to break all of that dudes bones, instead of causing him some very temporary pain and taking away his rifle? Not really a bad technique, and one of the few useful atemi, which mostly suck.

Moving on, we get to the good stuff. Check this out:

pre:
EIGHT DIRECTIONS AWARENESS
Ring/Mastery: Void 5
Type: Mystical
Some monks are at a state of harmony with the world to such 
extent that they are aware of everything around them. While 
this Kiho is active, you become aware of all living things 
within a distance equal to your Void Ring x10 feet. You are 
also aware of any object or individual within that range that 
has been deliberately concealed, including secret doors, hid-
den compartments, buried objects, etc.
So it is a Kiho that I can keep up more or less all the time, or at the very least put up when I need it without issue or real effort which not only gives me somewhat perfect situational awareness but also works like a Light of the Moon that is always on and active? And I can get this very reasonably at second rank?

pre:
TOUCH THE VOID DRAGON
Ring/Mastery: Void 4
Type: Internal
Certain orders of the Brotherhood are adept at aligning their 
chi with the dominant Element in the environment around 
them, drawing strength from the world. While this Kiho is 
active, one of your Rings and its associated Traits are consid-
ered one Rank higher. Which Ring is affected depends upon 
the environment. Mountains increase Earth, the seashore in-
creases Water, the plains increase Air, the desert or volcanic 
areas increase Fire, etc.
So my brand new Brotherhood monk (or Togashi, since honestly this is a steal for them at either 6 points straight up or 8 points if they buy Friend of the Brotherhood which is a HELL of an investment for a Togashi) has a free ring to something, again, more or less all the time? REALLY?

Most of the atemi are sort of useless, particularly given how they activate and that they don't get to cause damage, but this is particularly hilarious:

pre:
REST, MY BROTHER
Ring/Mastery: Earth 5 (Atemi)
Type: Martial
Easily among the most diffi cult and most sacred of all Kiho, 
this technique is restricted to a handful of orders within the 
Brotherhood. It functions by reversing the chi fl ow of a Taint-
ed individual, causing them excruciating pain and temporar-
ily restoring clarity of thought. This Kiho requires an atemi 
attack to be activated. The attack deals normal unarmed dam-
age (despite being an atemi attack), plus an additional number 
of unkept damage dice equal to the opponent’s Shadowlands 
Taint Rank. If the target is a human or other formerly un-
corrupted creature (as opposed to an oni or other inherently 
Tainted creature), he loses all benefi ts of the Shadowlands 
Taint for a number of Rounds equal to your Earth Ring. Dur-
ing this time, he is free from the madness and mental instabil-
ity normally brought on by the Taint.
OK, this is kind of rad at first glance. Extra damage to punch tainted guys is cool, am I right? This will really help me fight the shadowlands poo poo we always seem to run into. Except it doesn't really, because since the punch doesn't count as having say, the jade keyword (which would be super helpful) a lot of the stuff I might want to take the time to atemi punch is gonna make fun of me anyway. That said, this becomes like, boss breakingly crazy when facing the big tainted bad guy since the love tap the monk gave him just took away all his rad Shadowlands powers and probably most of his motivation to fight.

These are mostly just the weird balance issues, but there is SPIN THE KHARMIC WHEEL which is just a total WTF?!?! power that seems to serve no purpose other than to be screwy.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Winson_Paine posted:

Monks are wierd.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 81 days!
Soiled Meat
I know for a fact that a ridiculous amount of stuff in the new L5R went in without proper playtesting. The only character options they actually playtested were those related to Bushi, Courtiers and parts of the Shugenja (they still haven't made the obvious fix to Shugenja taking paths), everything else was basically funnelled in with only a cursory glance.

This is especially obvious when you read the errata thread on AEG's forums, as now and then they'll make a ruling that actually contradicts what it says in the text in a clear "You didn't actually read the section before ruling, did you?" sort of way, and when someone gently points this out their post gets deleted and they get quietly shut down. Occasionally, for added stupidity, the original ruling will then be modified without reference to the fact that the designer got it wrong.

If you raise the subject of balance at all, the stock reply is "L5R your way!"

On the other hand, though, the guys writing the books are understaffed and overworked, and don't really get much respect from the wider company, so I guess they're doing the best they can with little support.

Edit: clarification.

Etherwind fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 8, 2011

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 81 days!
Soiled Meat
The Great Clans is out, by the way. Looks good.

Etherwind fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 17, 2011

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Etherwind posted:

The Great Clans is out, by the way. Looks good.

I agree. Picked it up at GenCon, and it looks like a nice condensation of all the fluff from the original Way of the Clans books. Not the happiest with some of the mechanics, but they can't all be winners.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 81 days!
Soiled Meat

NinjaDebugger posted:

Not the happiest with some of the mechanics, but they can't all be winners.

Glad I'm not the only one. I swear to god, for all their talk of "balance", it's gone right out the window.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Etherwind posted:

Glad I'm not the only one. I swear to god, for all their talk of "balance", it's gone right out the window.

Please elaborate :allears:

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Linear Bushi, Quadratic Shugenja?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Yoshimo posted:

Linear Bushi, Quadratic Shugenja?

And where do courtiers fit in this?

(I still love that one 3E build that could essentially one-shot the Emperor).

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Courtiers are a roleplaying class not a ROLL-playing class :rolleyes:

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Yoshimo posted:

Courtiers are a roleplaying class not a ROLL-playing class :rolleyes:

Any samurai who cannot gently caress up his daimyo's enemies is no samurai at all.

I play a Doji courtier in Heroes of Rokugan 3, and I have the highest kill count in my regular group, thanks to shooting people in the face with fleshcutters. Shooting at 9k4e and rolling 6k4 for initiative. I'll get outdistanced eventually, but I'll always be contributing, especially with Feint cap going up with rank.

Didn't even have to compromise my absurd court skills.

Looking forward to getting nosold constantly at rank 3.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NinjaDebugger posted:

Any samurai who cannot gently caress up his daimyo's enemies is no samurai at all.
A courtier can do you one better, and just straight-up gently caress his daimyo's enemies.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

And where do courtiers fit in this?

(I still love that one 3E build that could essentially one-shot the Emperor).

...which one?

The Asahina with infinite raises on an arrow shot that can't miss, or Shinjo Snipa, who could ride his horse right into court without anybody seeing him, kill the emperor in one shot, and ride back out again?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

NinjaDebugger posted:

...which one?

The Asahina with infinite raises on an arrow shot that can't miss, or Shinjo Snipa, who could ride his horse right into court without anybody seeing him, kill the emperor in one shot, and ride back out again?

It's not quite one-shot, but the formula if I remember correctly is:

Rank 3 Doji Courtier (Force subject to make any roll a Test of Honor roll)

+

Rank 2 Otomo Courtier (Make anyone taking a Test of Honor roll to fail automatically)

Given enough void points, you can pretty much drop anyone to zero honor before they've had breakfast. :suicide:

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

NinjaDebugger posted:

WRONG

Sayings like "To die with your intention unrealized is to die uselessly", and so on, are from the weak Kyoto, Osaka Bushido. They are unresolved as to whether to keep to their original plan when faced with the choice of life and death. Every man wants to live. They theorize with staying alive kept in mind. "The man who lives on when he has failed in his intention is a coward" id a heartless definition. That to die having failed is to die uselessly is a mad point of view. This is not a shameful thing. It is the most important thing to the Way of the warrior. If you keep your spirit correct from morning to night, accustomed to the idea of death and resolved on death, and consider yourself as a dead body, thus becoming one with the Way of the warrior, you can pass through life with no possibility of failure and perform your office properly.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
Thought I'd save this thread from oblivion with a mini review, and to show you how to make a fun little busted rank one I've discovered.

I picked up Great Clans a few months ago, and it's fantastic. I don't mind fluff books like Emerald Empire, but unlike EE; Great Clans is almost 100% original fluff, with new schools, kata, alternate paths, and spells that actually add to the mechanics. I'm not keen on everything they added, (Oh good, ANOTHER Mirumoto death engine school :effort: ) but it's nice to have options.

Verdict: Get it, if you like fourth edition.

My broken little build aka The Reason NSB games cap starting advantages at 10 points:

My neophyte GM friend wanted to run a game; suggesting it would likely be PVP at some point. Since he's high on combat and low on RP, I built accordingly:

Rank 1 Phoenix Shugenja

Strength 3
Agility 3

Weapon of choice: The 5k2 Dai Tsuchi.

Advantages: Large, Bishamon's Blessing, Ishiken-do

Heavy Weapons 4

And the rest of the build is noise.

Why this build is broken:

5k2 Weapon + 3 Str + Large + Bishamon's Blessing means I roll 10k2 dmg... before raises. Granted, i don't have a lot of skills, and my rings are under developped, save fire, but 10k2 damage is utterly fantastic at creation.

Void Magic essentially lets me astrally project, and recover Void at will. I can also cast a spell that lets me blow all my void on one non-damage roll. Combine that with the spells that lets me have 2 floating void, and I can roll an extra 4k4 once per day.

Water magic gives me healing, and the ability to cast the luck advantage on myself for one roll per round.

Fire Magic let's me buff my hammer for another 1k1, 2k2 vs. large or mounted enemies.

I'm using Air Magic for messages; but it's SO useful.

Earth... is kinda bleh right now, but I'll find a use for it, and soon.

Bishamon's blessing is maybe the most broken of all. It gives me 1k0 to all strength (Read:damage) rolls, but also gives me a free raise for damage when I call 3 raises. I can't do this until I hit void 3, but it's my first stop in this campaign.

At creation, in my first fight, I brought an Ogre Overlord to its knees; rolling 10k6 dmg that slightly penetrated its reduction.

When I hit void 3, and call call 3 raises...

10k2 standard + 4k0 Raises + 2k2 vs mounted/large = 16k4 = 10k7 or 10k5+2 Dmg vs. small.

Yes... That will do nicely for my rank one shugenja.

NutShellBill fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 3, 2011

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Wow, that's almost as awesome as my starting Doji Courtier!

(Basically what I'm saying here is your character is about the furthest thing from busted since a starting Doji Courtier with no combat advantages can have better than even odds against him, and also, I'd like to know how you got heavy weapons 4 on a starting character.)

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 3, 2011

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

NutShellBill posted:

Yes... That will do nicely for my rank one shugenja.

Is your earth ring at 3? because if not one or two hits is likely to drop you, even from a much smaller damage weapon, and someone with really high reflexes 3/4 and heavy armor will be very difficult to hit with 7k3. and absorbs 7 of your damage. You might want your earth ring up, and you definitely want the earth spell that gives you damage absorption.

Also, with those many points in heavy weapons, you're missing out on some essential skills for most shugenja (especially one with void spells). Meditation 3 or Tea Ceremony 3 allows you to recover 2 void points per day from those skills instead of one, and if you've just raised agility/strength to 3 instead of fire/water then you're missing out on additional spell slots.

Fardels Bear
Oct 27, 2006

Lookit me flash, boss.
Anyone have a good Excel or Word character sheet for 4th Ed. hanging around? I'm running Fortunes Lost (amazing!) as a one-shot for my D&D group in the hopes that they will convinced to play something other than D&D, and it's a pain in the rear end to write out all the pregens longhand.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

Fardels Bear posted:

Anyone have a good Excel or Word character sheet for 4th Ed. hanging around? I'm running Fortunes Lost (amazing!) as a one-shot for my D&D group in the hopes that they will convinced to play something other than D&D, and it's a pain in the rear end to write out all the pregens longhand.

L5R.com has 4th edition character sheets as a free PDF download. No longhand required.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So what is going to be in Imperial Histories anyway?

I preordered it, but that was based on the strength of The Great Clans and Enemies of the Empire.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
I'm about to be in an L5R game, so I was happy to see this thread. I've always been interested in L5R, but I've just never had the opportunity to really take a look at it, so I read the core cover to cover, and absorbed most of it, although still trying to pick up on the finer points, but I won't bother you lot with that.

The game I'm about to be in is all Ronin, and the GM hasn't mentioned anything about progression yet. What are the avenues open for Ronin progression, and has it been expanded upon outside the core book? Is it basically try and join a Clan's school or is there something I missed?

Also, sorry for the slight bump/necro.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Enemies of the Empire provides expanded options for Ronin characters, so that would be a good place to start.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004

slut chan posted:

I'm about to be in an L5R game, so I was happy to see this thread. I've always been interested in L5R, but I've just never had the opportunity to really take a look at it, so I read the core cover to cover, and absorbed most of it, although still trying to pick up on the finer points, but I won't bother you lot with that.

The game I'm about to be in is all Ronin, and the GM hasn't mentioned anything about progression yet. What are the avenues open for Ronin progression, and has it been expanded upon outside the core book? Is it basically try and join a Clan's school or is there something I missed?

Also, sorry for the slight bump/necro.

I wonder if we should combine the L5R threads?

Anywho, enemies of the Empire is a great place to find bonus Ronin schools, but has an unfortunate caveat: You have to join a ronin group to learn the technique, or swap a pretty big favour to be allowed to learn them. Since they'll expect some level of fealty and loyalty, your best hope might be to join a clan at some point, if you can.

That being said, you can be rank 5, and only one school, at rank one. Being a ronin is tough.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Oops, don't know how I found this thread and missed the other.

Thanks, I'll took a look at those and chat with my GM to see if he is willing to give any hints as to what his plans are.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

SirPhoebos posted:

So what is going to be in Imperial Histories anyway?

I preordered it, but that was based on the strength of The Great Clans and Enemies of the Empire.

Basically, it's "How to play" in ten parts of Rokugan's history, including when the Kami fell to earth (including what Rokugan might be like if any of the OTHER Kami instead of Hantei had won), The Gozoku (Basically, they wanted to make the Emperor a figurehead and let the clans run things how they wanted, etcetera).

Amongst all the various time frames includes two "non-canonical" time frames, the Heroes of Rokugan setting (the Toturi dynasty never fell.. based on the long running RPGA-like convention series of adventures in Living Campaign format), and the Thousand Years of Darkness (Fu Leng won the Day of Thunder.... now what?)

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Hey guys,

I'm running a one-off in about a week. I haven't played for a long-rear end time and my players are familiar with 7th Sea, but not L5R. Despite the advice of #partyhard, I've decided to set the adventure on the road between Otosan Uchi and Toshi Ranbo in the years before the Lying Darkness seizes Toturi--most of my exposure to the card game is from that area; I got on board right after Clan War and got off when the Four Winds wrapped up.

I have a plot question. If a lowly merchant (or a group of middle-class villagers) have a serious grievance against the samurai in control of their region, (A) do they seek out an Imperial Magistrate or a higher-ranking samurai or both, and (B) if the Imperial Magistrate, would that dude be riding circuit or would have have a home base they could go to? Also, how feudal is the land-control system, exactly? Could a given stretch of land with its villages conceivably be under the thumb of a single powerful samurai (with little outside oversight other than the Magistrate), or is micromanagement/federalism/activist daimyoing more common?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Is the Thousand Years of Darkness writeup in Imperial Histories done well/interestingly? Is there any mechanical support for the different eras/timelines or is it mostly just setting material like Emerald Empire?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Is the Thousand Years of Darkness writeup in Imperial Histories done well/interestingly? Is there any mechanical support for the different eras/timelines or is it mostly just setting material like Emerald Empire?

It's 90% setting material, 10% mechanical support (new paths/whatever).

The Thousand Years of Darkness gets about 25 pages. It's good if you're interested in the concept, but it boils down to post-apocalyptic Rokugan which I find boring as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 81 days!
Soiled Meat

Sulecrist posted:

I have a plot question. If a lowly merchant (or a group of middle-class villagers) have a serious grievance against the samurai in control of their region, (A) do they seek out an Imperial Magistrate or a higher-ranking samurai or both, and (B) if the Imperial Magistrate, would that dude be riding circuit or would have have a home base they could go to? Also, how feudal is the land-control system, exactly? Could a given stretch of land with its villages conceivably be under the thumb of a single powerful samurai (with little outside oversight other than the Magistrate), or is micromanagement/federalism/activist daimyoing more common?

They're poo poo out of luck. Merchants are lower than peasants, and unless they're bringing something tremendously important to the attention of the authorities (literally, "This person is practising maho") then they will be ignored at best and executed for their impudence in daring to profane the name of a samurai at worst.

If they were revealing such a thing, and the subject of their report was the Daimyo of a region, they'd contact Clan Magistrates first, then attempt to send word to the Family Daimyo if that failed, then the Clan Champion, and only Imperial Magistrates if all else failed. In any of these scenarios the lowly merchant is basically inviting any samurai he approaches to execute him for thoughts above his station (calling a samurai into question is not cool), and even if he is believed, unless he's dealing with the Kitsuki Family of the Dragon Clan they won't care for evidence and his testimony is useless. Under this situation, it's either something massively important, or any merchant with any sense will grumble and put up with it.

Rokugani are dicks.

• Locked thread