Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Saith posted:

How do you find all this stuff? Is it in other sourcebooks or are you just going by the wiki?

Emerald Empire mostly, that and "The great clans" sometimes has something on the clans in the modern era (with the noteable exception of the unicorn).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
gently caress that, be a Monkey and literally shout out the names of all your school techniques as you use them. COURAGE ABOVE ALL! FORTUNE FAVORS THE MORTAL MAN!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

gently caress that, be a Monkey and literally shout out the names of all your school techniques as you use them. COURAGE ABOVE ALL! FORTUNE FAVORS THE MORTAL MAN!

Yeah, its kind of embarrasing quite how much love the setting has for the monkey clan and its founder (even though they are both completly awesome).

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Josef bugman posted:

Yeah, its kind of embarrasing quite how much love the setting has for the monkey clan and its founder (even though they are both completly awesome).

I like to think Clan Monkey is sorta their admittion that not everything has to be gritty and sorta-"realistic." It's ok to have basically a clan of shonen samurai heroes who do the impossible and never let poo poo get them down.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

I like to think Clan Monkey is sorta their admittion that not everything has to be gritty and sorta-"realistic." It's ok to have basically a clan of shonen samurai heroes who do the impossible and never let poo poo get them down.

It is kind of nice, but you wouldn't want them in every campaign. If your playing "crab on the wall" you don't really want to have some shouty hero come along and do you job better than you.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Josef bugman posted:

It is kind of nice, but you wouldn't want them in every campaign. If your playing "crab on the wall" you don't really want to have some shouty hero come along and do you job better than you.

I'm admittingly sorta bad with the math and mechanics of L5R and not that hot at optimizing anything, but the way I always saw it, Monkey benefits mostly rely on spending void points, and basically make them sort of a jack of all trades type character who could theoretically be good at most things (especially if it's something challenging) but not as good or as often as the actual class built towards it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm admittingly sorta bad with the math and mechanics of L5R and not that hot at optimizing anything, but the way I always saw it, Monkey benefits mostly rely on spending void points, and basically make them sort of a jack of all trades type character who could theoretically be good at most things (especially if it's something challenging) but not as good or as often as the actual class built towards it.

I know jack all about how the system works and tend to glaze over when told anything about most P&P systems. I just roll dice when I am supposed to and make use of my years of drama.

I think thematically a monkey samurai putting in an appearence and beating up The Maw whilst flirting with the Daimyo's heir would suit, but would probably piss off the PC's.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 85 days!
Soiled Meat
In 3rd Edition they were probably the best school. They toned it the gently caress down for 4th Edition.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Josef bugman posted:

Shouty samurai on the wall are encouraged. Crabs on the wall are trained to yell as loud and as long as possible while they're being savagely eaten by an oni. In order to wake as many people as possible.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Etherwind posted:

In 3rd Edition they were probably the best school. They toned it the gently caress down for 4th Edition.

They only have a strong first rank in 3ed now they are a good school.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Shouty samurai on the wall are encouraged. Crabs on the wall are trained to yell as loud and as long as possible while they're being savagely eaten by an oni. In order to wake as many people as possible.

"That mans job is to scream", as it were?

I more meant being happy and jovial and so on might be a bit out of place if your going for grimdark "kill all the shadowlands" campaign.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Chance II posted:

My group is planning to run a Lo5R game in the next couple of weeks. I've never even looked through book but I have a general idea of the setting. What should I be looking at to build a kind of noble samurai character (cultured warrior rather than berserker sword fetishist)? Lion clan described to me as the big warrior culture clan.

This is going to sound mean but "noble samurai character" is like 80% of the samurai in the setting. Even the Crab or the Mantis or whatever are noble in their own way, assuming "noble" to you isn't also "proper in ettiquette". Just pick whatever clan's fluff sounds the best to you.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Josef bugman posted:

"That mans job is to scream", as it were?

I more meant being happy and jovial and so on might be a bit out of place if your going for grimdark "kill all the shadowlands" campaign.

I think it's perfect. Makes the horror of the situation much more palpable when the Monkey finally sees too much and starts to crack.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Swagger Dagger posted:

This is going to sound mean but "noble samurai character" is like 80% of the samurai in the setting. Even the Crab or the Mantis or whatever are noble in their own way, assuming "noble" to you isn't also "proper in ettiquette". Just pick whatever clan's fluff sounds the best to you.

I meant specifically a noble lord type off samurai. A well rounded warrior poet kind of deal but I don't want to play some white haired caricature like those Crane clan dudes.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Chance II posted:

I meant specifically a noble lord type off samurai. A well rounded warrior poet kind of deal but I don't want to play some white haired caricature like those Crane clan dudes.
The Scorpion and Crane are probably the most well-rounded types out of the great Clans, with Akodo close behind. The rest are mostly either weirdly mystical or brutish barbarians to some degree. If you don't want to play a poof, don't play a poof, and if you want to play against type in one of the other clans, just do it. I love the Scorpion, but Crane have a lot of room to be social and still be good swordsmen without the stigma the Scorpion have as a clan of villains.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Chance II posted:

Akodo or Mirumoto. The Mirumoto are literal warrior-poets, and in fact start with poetry as I recall, while the ideal of Bushido is to serve your lord and your vassals with sword in one hand and book in the other, and the Akodo are generally quite good at that. As for the well-rounded thing, the system actually encourages it, that's why you get full insight credit for rank 1 skills. The system is actively pushing you to drop rank 1 in a crapload of skills so that you will be well rounded.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

NinjaDebugger posted:

Akodo or Mirumoto. The Mirumoto are literal warrior-poets, and in fact start with poetry as I recall, while the ideal of Bushido is to serve your lord and your vassals with sword in one hand and book in the other, and the Akodo are generally quite good at that. As for the well-rounded thing, the system actually encourages it, that's why you get full insight credit for rank 1 skills. The system is actively pushing you to drop rank 1 in a crapload of skills so that you will be well rounded.

Oh good, that sounds promising. Mirumoto and Akodo are Lion Clan right? I've been looking through the clan bios on the wiki and they sound familiar. I'll go look them up then.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Mirumoto is Dragon Clan - the Mystical Clan.

If you don't mind playing minor, though, the Sparrow Bushi might be what you're looking for. They're about compassion and virtue in war, without being bloodthirsty or stupidly posh.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Saith posted:

Mirumoto is Dragon Clan - the Mystical Clan.

You misspelled "best" here. But yeah Mirumoto are pretty cool if you don't want to have white hair and use just one sword.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Are there any good pregenerated/published scenarios? I know there's the one in the back of the book (which we've done) and the one that came out on Free RPG Day - Legacy of Disaster? But I don't really have the time just yet to start making my own stuff up. Any ideas?

edit - or failing that - how much of the older version's stuff is going to be compatible with 4th, in terms of both mechanics and story?

Yoshimo fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 2, 2012

TheCommodore07
Sep 24, 2007

Scallywags on the larboard side! Open Fire!
If you're interested in pregenerated scenarios, I'd check out Heroes of Rokugan III at http://heroes-of-rokugan.com/. This is a 5-year living campaign set in the Spirit Wars, and the 3rd 5-year campaign to run. The first two were admin'd by one of the authors of 4th ed, and he passed the torch off to a few guys from Kansas to do this one.

The admins are kinda (sometimes extremely) slow at responding to requests, but the mods are fun and full of Rokugani flavor.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Yoshimo posted:

Are there any good pregenerated/published scenarios? I know there's the one in the back of the book (which we've done) and the one that came out on Free RPG Day - Legacy of Disaster? But I don't really have the time just yet to start making my own stuff up. Any ideas?

edit - or failing that - how much of the older version's stuff is going to be compatible with 4th, in terms of both mechanics and story?

I had some success with the 3rd Edition pregen, Tournament of the Emperor's Favoured, as an introductory scenario. It does require a bit of story adjustment depending on when your campaign takes place (as its set while the Kitsune are independent from Mantis), but its reasonably simple and a nice tournament. You should be able to find it in the RPG resources section of the main L5R site.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

True, but I just ran the 4e Intro Scenario last week, which is essentially another (albeit less combat-oriented) Tournament :(

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Yoshimo posted:

True, but I just ran the 4e Intro Scenario last week, which is essentially another (albeit less combat-oriented) Tournament :(

Whoops, I misread your post. No other free ones come to mind, but then again I've only run a couple sessions of L5R. I have read through the pregen that came with the GM Screen, "Descent into Darkness", and it looked like a good scenario with the aftermath giving some good opportunities for future sessions involving the same village. Its not especially long though, and you can read most of it using the PDF preview on DriveThruRPG.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

TheCommodore07 posted:

If you're interested in pregenerated scenarios, I'd check out Heroes of Rokugan III at http://heroes-of-rokugan.com/. This is a 5-year living campaign set in the Spirit Wars, and the 3rd 5-year campaign to run. The first two were admin'd by one of the authors of 4th ed, and he passed the torch off to a few guys from Kansas to do this one.

The admins are kinda (sometimes extremely) slow at responding to requests, but the mods are fun and full of Rokugani flavor.

If you follow the links on the HoR3 page to the HoR2 page, the HoR2 Scenarios page has downloads for the entire campaign, basically. You'll have to do some conversion work, since it's in 3e, but the scenarios are mostly solid as long as you're willing to deal with the MMORPG roots of the campaign.

Fardels Bear
Oct 27, 2006

Lookit me flash, boss.

Yoshimo posted:

In the vein of older stuff, there are a trio of awesome old published adventures from a site called TastesLikePhoenix.com. They're all set pre-Scorpion Coup. The bad news is, that site is out of commission, the good news is that you can still get the pdfs of the adventures from Archive.org:

Mirror, Mirror: http://web.archive.org/web/20050410022257/http://tasteslikephoenix.com/articles/mirror.pdf
Mirror, Mirror Pregens:
http://web.archive.org/web/20050410022257/http://tasteslikephoenix.com/articles/mmchar.pdf

Fortunes Lost:
http://web.archive.org/web/20050410005620/http://tasteslikephoenix.com/articles/fortunelost/fortuneslost.zip

Pregens on this page: http://web.archive.org/web/20050410005620/http://tasteslikephoenix.com/articles/fortunelost/index.html

Hindsight materials on this page:
http://web.archive.org/web/20050410022300/http://tasteslikephoenix.com/articles/HindsightIntro.htm

I think Mirror, Mirror should be fine run in the time period of 4th Ed -- it's a pretty intense Shadowlands-based adventure, which involves the Crab Winter Court. It prominently features Hiruma Kage, who was the Daiymo of the Hiruma Clan, but I think he could easily be written out and replaced with some other, similar Crab dude. It also features a prominent Shadowlands character from the overall metaplot, but if you're not elbow-deep in metaplot, it shouldn't matter.

Fortunes Lost should be fine in the 4th Ed time period -- it features some metaplot NPCs, but there's no reason why they can't be transferred to the 4th Ed time period unless your players are sticklers for that sort of thing, or replaced with similar, modern NPCs. There are also some Shugenja that utilize a technique that was specific (I think) to 3rd Ed., but you just have to replace them with an equivalent threat. This adventure probably won't work as well if you're doing a lot of stuff with the Spider Clan, but I can't really say why without spoling the whole thing.

Hindsight I've never run personally because it looks incredibly challenging to run properly, both in terms of what's required of the GM as well as the players. It involves time travel to a period of Rokugani history that's written up in the Imperial Histories book, so that could be a lot of fun and could ease the conversion process. The adventure is completely bananas, and is worth a read even if you don't plan to run it.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Any tips for running L5r? I am about to start up a new campaign, first time doing something this "roleplaying" heavy

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
^^^I'd honestly consider restricting player options, if it's your group's first game.
While inter-party conflict is one of the charms of this game, it can very quickly get out of hand.
Only allowing PCs of one Clan (or a bunch of allied Clans) gives them a shared motivation. Having a Lion and a Scorpion PC during the Gozouko era, for example, will quickly end up with one of them (the Lion) brutally murdered.
A bunch of Schools, too, (though not so much in the Core game) are unsuitable for PCs - either they're drastically underpowered, have a very narrow and rarely useful gimmick (Kaiu Engineers), or they're just not suitable for group-play (Ninja).

If you're all pretty experienced, though, and it's just your first time running it, then ignore everything I said.

Start with, like, a tournament or something.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Well we are experienced with hack and slash RPGS. If I go with just the book of fire ((Major clans + bushi/magic/talky guy)) Ill be fine right?

Also going to run the starter adventure.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

If you are going to have a lot of different clans try and have the leader as a dragon and/or a monk.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
Going to be playing a Matsu Bushi after five or six years since I last played 2nd Ed. of L5R. Messing around with a No-Dachi for fun. Somehow walked away with Honor 8 out of chargen. So my question is .....

How loudly should I be screaming about my honor?

.. And how much honor can I expect to lose when the Crane duelist obstinately takes on every challenge for me?

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

The Chosen by the Oracles Advantage - it says it adds 1k1 to Ring Rolls of a Ring of your choice - would you say that includes spellcasting too?

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Strength of Many posted:

.. And how much honor can I expect to lose when the Crane duelist obstinately takes on every challenge for me?

A Matsu bushi wouldn't let that poo poo fly. The Crane can only take on the challenge if you let him, and it's dishonourable for someone to just bust in on your challenge after you tell them no. Prepare to die a glorious death on the wrong side of a Kakita's katana, or take some ranks in Games (or argue that go falls under Battle) and turn it into Rokugani Yu-Gi-Oh.

Remember: The challenged determines the arena of dueling. The single-stroke duel is tradition, not mandatory.

TheCommodore07
Sep 24, 2007

Scallywags on the larboard side! Open Fire!

Yoshimo posted:

The Chosen by the Oracles Advantage - it says it adds 1k1 to Ring Rolls of a Ring of your choice - would you say that includes spellcasting too?

Alas, it does not. A Ring Roll is specifically "Ring" keep "Ring".

So, a Void Roll is a Ring Roll that is Void keep Void. An Earth Roll is a Ring Roll that is Earth keep Earth. A spellcasting roll is Ring + Rank keep Ring, and therefore not a Ring Roll.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

So what happens if you are chosen by the Oracle of Thunder?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Valgaav posted:

Remember: The challenged determines the arena of dueling. The single-stroke duel is tradition, not mandatory.

This was eliminated in fourth edition, see page 50 of the PG. Unconventional duels happen only on the battlefield or by mutual agreement (even if that agreement is coerced somehow). As far as I can remember, it was actually only present in third edition, and represented a big departure from John Wick's "Iaijutsu is everything because the Crane have been cementing its position for a thousand years." The challenged party DOES get to specify time and place, though, so if you want to put it off for a year and throw yourself into a training montage, that's doable, as long as the GM doesn't punch you.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 9, 2012

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Yoshimo posted:

I ran my playgroup through 1st Edition's "Code of Bushido" in our 4th Edition game, and everyone had a blast! Just a few setting-related stuff needed tweaking for what we were playing, the actual adventure is mostly fluff and works just fine.

There are also a ton of "Challenge/Focus/Strike" formatted adventure hooks on the AEG forums, as provided by fans. A lot of them are... well... not so great, but here's a thread with some decent hooks that give a GM a lot of leeway: http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=13670&start=3

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
The Book of Air is out this week, albeit in short supply. It's mostly a fluff book, but I still recommend it warmly, if only because an associate wrote chapter five (Rules for kite-fighting are yes!), and they finally spelled my name right in the credits as a play-tester.

Unfortunately, it looks like the elemental books will be dividing up information that I'd rather have had all in one book into five small, hard to find sections, scattered over 5 books.

As always, the art is amazing, but it's definitely not essential.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Valgaav posted:

A Matsu bushi wouldn't let that poo poo fly. The Crane can only take on the challenge if you let him, and it's dishonourable for someone to just bust in on your challenge after you tell them no. Prepare to die a glorious death on the wrong side of a Kakita's katana, or take some ranks in Games (or argue that go falls under Battle) and turn it into Rokugani Yu-Gi-Oh.

I do have ranks in Games and a not insubstantial amount in Etiquette and etc. Iaijutsu is actually my weak point.. But the character wouldn't avoid it if called out.

NinjaDebugger posted:

This was eliminated in fourth edition, see page 50 of the PG. Unconventional duels happen only on the battlefield or by mutual agreement (even if that agreement is coerced somehow). As far as I can remember, it was actually only present in third edition, and represented a big departure from John Wick's "Iaijutsu is everything because the Crane have been cementing its position for a thousand years." The challenged party DOES get to specify time and place, though, so if you want to put it off for a year and throw yourself into a training montage, that's doable, as long as the GM doesn't punch you.

Strictly speaking if they (the GM) are not willing to meet other means by which to conduct the duel and won't let you training montage, its either something very plot important (understandable) or (likely) they are being a dick. In the former I would trust their direction, if the later I can find other people to play with. I trust my GM and I am in more of a lighthearted style of game so I don't see it being an issue.

There is just something funny about competing the Crane to see who can be the most honorable.

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

NutShellBill posted:

The Book of Air is out this week, albeit in short supply. It's mostly a fluff book, but I still recommend it warmly, if only because an associate wrote chapter five (Rules for kite-fighting are yes!), and they finally spelled my name right in the credits as a play-tester.

Unfortunately, it looks like the elemental books will be dividing up information that I'd rather have had all in one book into five small, hard to find sections, scattered over 5 books.

As always, the art is amazing, but it's definitely not essential.

I preordered it from Amazon only to have it go immediately from "not out yet" to "out of stock" They need to print some more books.

• Locked thread