Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Speaking as one of the GMs for the WC4 event, and as a member of Story Team: the GM messed up on the spreadsheet. It's as simple as that.

Sadly the Heir I wanted to win, didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Sorus posted:

Little leery about that. Mostly related to WC4 but I'm starting to not particularly care for L5R players.

I have played Five Rings Online in the past and if you are looking for a long term L5R via a live chat environment you can't really beat it. Will it be perfect the answer is no, will players be able to influence the game's story that is a yes.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
L5R 4e Official Errata is out. A lot of little corrections and "legacy errors" getting fixed, and Intimidate is a willpower skill.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

L5R 4e Official Errata is out. A lot of little corrections and "legacy errors" getting fixed, and Intimidate is a willpower skill.

Also Asahina Shugenja tech nerfed into the ground.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

NinjaDebugger posted:

Also Asahina Shugenja tech nerfed into the ground.

I've never seen one in-game. Were they that good?

The bit on initiative in duels is a small hit to Kakita.

Intimidation change is a bit of a boost to Yoritomo Courtier and a small nerf to Kasuga Smugler.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

I've never seen one in-game. Were they that good?

The bit on initiative in duels is a small hit to Kakita.

Intimidation change is a bit of a boost to Yoritomo Courtier and a small nerf to Kasuga Smugler.

Not particularly, especially in combat, unless your GM is generous with the cone on Tempest of Air. Their school tech was about the only good thing they could do in combat, and activating it now means blowing pretty much your entire turn. At rank 1, when it's actually effective, it's your entire turn every turn you want to activate it. At higher ranks, it rapidly becomes less useful, but still costs you a full turn to activate.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I'm curious, what do people think of Imperial Archives? I dig it, other than the weirdly-racist-even-for-L5R Yobanjin section. Of course, I've been waiting for more on Shourido, and really dig seeing the Firefly Clan and the rest back in print, and also dead. Kiiind of get the impression the book is a collection of bits that should've been put up online for free/cheap when an appropriate book to each section was released, though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AmiYumi posted:

I'm curious, what do people think of Imperial Archives? I dig it, other than the weirdly-racist-even-for-L5R Yobanjin section. Of course, I've been waiting for more on Shourido, and really dig seeing the Firefly Clan and the rest back in print, and also dead. Kiiind of get the impression the book is a collection of bits that should've been put up online for free/cheap when an appropriate book to each section was released, though.
That's how I feel about it too. Especially for stuff like oni lords, which were expressly promised in EotE and then cut for reasons. All in all it's an okay book but really it just shows how bad AEG is at writing books when so much of it is "this is all stuff we could have put in other books with some competent editing".

Also, I'm pretty sure my GM is gonna have our group fight one (or more) oni lords and I really get the feeling that if you're built to last in a fight at all, you can handle one of them by yourself at R6. I have nothing to really back this beyond my own intuition at the moment though.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

That's how I feel about it too. Especially for stuff like oni lords, which were expressly promised in EotE and then cut for reasons. All in all it's an okay book but really it just shows how bad AEG is at writing books when so much of it is "this is all stuff we could have put in other books with some competent editing".

Also, I'm pretty sure my GM is gonna have our group fight one (or more) oni lords and I really get the feeling that if you're built to last in a fight at all, you can handle one of them by yourself at R6. I have nothing to really back this beyond my own intuition at the moment though.

I'm running a party of rank 5-7 characters who, while not heavily optimized, are pretty goddamn broke, and they fully intend to pick a fight with the Maw. Having looked at the stats on that thing, I would be honestly surprised if at least one player doesn't drop, even if I softball it. If I don't softball it, it's a party wipe, no question, because maho is broke as hell.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I ran my party through some of the City of Lies stuff and if I hadn't softballed they would have been splattered by the first minor oni; most of them were around Rank 2 if memory serves. Right now the party is Rank 4, approaching 5, and between two Shugenja and the Bushi/Monk Kuni I think they'd be able to take out quite a bit. They'll be up against another oni toward the end of this chapter and I'm expecting it to be a solid knock-down battle.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I just grabbed Imperial Archives, so I'm gonna go through the oni lords real quick and record how to make my PCs weep tears of blood real quick.

Akuma: Round 1: 3 burning tongues, cast Force of Will with some raises. Round 2: 3 burning tongues, ground zero Fist of Osano-Wo. Repeat as necessary.

Kyoso: See Akuma, except instead of burning tongues, it's black fire, and instead of ground zero Fist, cast Elements' Fury followed by 6 free action casts of whatever the gently caress random fire spells you want to murder your PCs with.

The Maw: Cast any one of: Blood and Darkness, Drain the Soul, Pain, No Pure Breaths, Possession (if their name is known), sacrificing a hundred wounds or so for free raises, because gently caress maho forever.

Shikibu: 8 willpower vs whatever the PC has, on a win, the PC is dead and body taken over. This is possession without having to roll to cast. See also: The Maw.

Tsuburu: Probably the worst of the oni lords, he's still doing a 1 mile radius reenactment of Predator.

Yawgmoth posted:

If you try to solo an oni lord at rank 6 and are not curbstomped, you're being softballed hard.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Oh. Yeah. Kinda forgot about maho being absolutely bonkers when you have >300 wounds and even the most powerful sword strike in the world is gonna do like 60. But question, since you guys (very obviously) have a more complete grasp on this poo poo than I do: Drown the Spirit in book of void. Doesn't that basically cripple all of them for 3 turns since their air+water rings are near-universally more than their strength?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Oh. Yeah. Kinda forgot about maho being absolutely bonkers when you have >300 wounds and even the most powerful sword strike in the world is gonna do like 60. But question, since you guys (very obviously) have a more complete grasp on this poo poo than I do: Drown the Spirit in book of void. Doesn't that basically cripple all of them for 3 turns since their air+water rings are near-universally more than their strength?

Can't say, I don't have that book, and I'm not likely to grab it anytime soon.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NinjaDebugger posted:

Can't say, I don't have that book, and I'm not likely to grab it anytime soon.
It's an ML4 air+water+void spell that gives the target a penalty to strength equal to their air+water rings for 3 rounds +1 round per raise. If that drops them to 0 or less str, they are helpless for the duration.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

It's an ML4 air+water+void spell that gives the target a penalty to strength equal to their air+water rings for 3 rounds +1 round per raise. If that drops them to 0 or less str, they are helpless for the duration.

It says a lot that that isn't the dumbest spell I've seen in L5R.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NinjaDebugger posted:

It says a lot that that isn't the dumbest spell I've seen in L5R.
What's the dumbest spell, then? Is it Pain? My vote goes to Pain.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

I think you mean Betty.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Summon Ancestor.

Followed closely by Sympathetic Energies.

Dumbest damage spell is undoubtedly the rank 3, I think, fire/air spell from 3e that started out at 5 bolts of 2k2 damage, individually targetable, stackable, with more bolts for 2 raises each. Dumbest maho damage spell is original No Pure Breaths.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I have zero experience with pre-4e L5R, what was the original NPB? And also those other spells too, I don't recognize them.

Also, an ML3 spell that does single-target 10k10 DR :lol: I love it

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

original No Pure Breaths: base DR XkX where X is the caster's shadowlands rank. 1 raise gets you either +1 target, +1k1 damage, or lowers the casting time (2 rounds) by 1 round. It also gave the +10 TN penalty to anything the target does aftewards.

Summon Ancestor was part of the conversion of the Kitsu Sodan-Senzo from 1e to 2e, in which they -completely broke it-. I was playing one in Heroes of Rokugan 1, and where summoning ancestors had been the Kitsu's only ability, now they had full spellcasting PLUS summoning ancestors.

You got ancestor slots equal to your honor plus your earth, could have a number running at once equal to your honor, and they lasted for an hour plus an hour per raise. This would not have been a problem, were it not for the fact that you then got full spellcasting beyond that, with no element affinity, but... I want to say earth and fire deficiency? Something like that. Anyway, it hardly mattered, because you could pile all the spellcasting boosting ancestors on yourself and annihilate people. Especially oni, since having Isawa Akuma summoned gave you free raises equal to your void ring against oni, and there were others just as broke for other (or stacking) purposes. This ALSO ties into the next spell, because Summon Ancestor was a spell now instead of a special ability, which meant...

Sympathetic Energies: This is -still in the game- and still causing problems constantly. Rank 1 water spell, transfer an ongoing spell effect from another person to you, or from you to another person. Any spell effect, no questions asked.

In Heroes of Rokugan 1, at GenCon, playing the premiere mod Fate of a Hantei, in which the PCs get a chance, just ONE chance, to save Hantei Sotorii (who will be Hantei XXXIX) from the bloodspeakers trying to use him to set Iuchiban free. I'm at the table, Yajinden is there, THE Yajinden, and he is body hopping around avoiding melee and getting new wounds to fuel maho all the goddamn time, and I am thoroughly tired of this poo poo. So what I do is, I summon Akodo Godaigo, the betrayer, and I'm like "Yo, Godaigo, you want a chance to redeem yourself? THIS IS IT."

Akodo Godaigo was one of the disadvantage ancestors. For -5 points, I think it was, your glory and your rings were capped by your honor.

The GM was very, very confused. Then, next round, I dove out into the crowd of cultists to get close enough to Yajinden's current body, said to the GM, "I cast Sympathetic Energies, swapping Summon Ancestor: Akodo Godaigo onto Yajinden." The GM looked confused, read the spells in question, and then went and called over the campaign admin, Rob Hobart. Rob looked confused, read the spells in question, and then said "...yeah, I think that works. His earth drops to zero, his air drops to zero, he can't jump to a new body, and he's dead." And the table jumped up in a shout that completely disrupted the tables around us and made us kind of jerks, because you shouldn't do that sort of thing.

It felt REAL loving awesome, though.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

In Heroes of Rokugan 1, at GenCon, playing the premiere mod Fate of a Hantei, in which the PCs get a chance, just ONE chance, to save Hantei Sotorii (who will be Hantei XXXIX) from the bloodspeakers trying to use him to set Iuchiban free. I'm at the table, Yajinden is there, THE Yajinden, and he is body hopping around avoiding melee and getting new wounds to fuel maho all the goddamn time, and I am thoroughly tired of this poo poo. So what I do is, I summon Akodo Godaigo, the betrayer, and I'm like "Yo, Godaigo, you want a chance to redeem yourself? THIS IS IT."

Akodo Godaigo was one of the disadvantage ancestors. For -5 points, I think it was, your glory and your rings were capped by your honor.

The GM was very, very confused. Then, next round, I dove out into the crowd of cultists to get close enough to Yajinden's current body, said to the GM, "I cast Sympathetic Energies, swapping Summon Ancestor: Akodo Godaigo onto Yajinden." The GM looked confused, read the spells in question, and then went and called over the campaign admin, Rob Hobart. Rob looked confused, read the spells in question, and then said "...yeah, I think that works. His earth drops to zero, his air drops to zero, he can't jump to a new body, and he's dead." And the table jumped up in a shout that completely disrupted the tables around us and made us kind of jerks, because you shouldn't do that sort of thing.

It felt REAL loving awesome, though.

That is loving amazing.

Tangentially, reading a bit of the thread on a whim is making me want to play some L5R.

Esser-Z fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 11, 2015

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
You know, I think Rob actually told me that story at the last GenCon. I guess you made an impression!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Some months ago there was some hubbub about an atlas or map book coming out soon – did that ever materialize or is it still pending?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Spookyelectric posted:

You know, I think Rob actually told me that story at the last GenCon. I guess you made an impression!

I have made a lot of impressions on Rob over the years, probably. I'm one of the few people left to have played all three heroes of rokugan campaigns.

I have to wonder if he told it as a good story or a bad one, though.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
A good story, I recall. It's pretty amusing!

FreshFeesh posted:

Some months ago there was some hubbub about an atlas or map book coming out soon – did that ever materialize or is it still pending?

I'm actually laying out that book as we speak.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
I'm planning to run a Short L5R Campaign about a small Sparrow clan Family that is undergoing a Inheritance crisis.

1) Only known heir left is a daughter to married into the Lion Clan. (She actually has an older brother who is a ronin in the woods nearby. He was abandoned due to the Sparrow clan rule of only having 2 children.)

2) Another clan, not sure who yet, are coming with a claim that the family owes them and wants to seize the town to cover the debt.

Players will be trainee magistrates sent to gather information before their sensei arrives. (He's not going to make it). Subplot would be the gozoku trying to turn this into a fight so they can come in afterwards and gain power.

What i need help with is what other ways can the inheritance be resolved? There is no Will and the Daimiyo has asked the sensei to mediate this.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
The "easiest" way would be for the Emperor to just swoop in and appoint someone to be the new Daimyo.

But usually that is the last thing that the Clan would want, because the Emperor can be unpredictable in that regard, and the Sparrow would lose face for their inability to handle their own affairs, especially the Champion for not tending to his clan. I'd imagine the Gozoku probably would not want the Emperor to do this either, unless it somehow enabled their mechanizations. So even though this is the easiest way to resolve this, and technically it's how Rokugani society should work, it doesn't benefit the Sparrow to draw the attention of the Emperor and resolve that way. So ironically, they'd probably want to avoid this outcome.

One thing about Rokugan is that often things devolve into "might makes right." Depending on the mindset of the Sensei, a few duels could resolve who should take charge. Or you could go the classic fantasy route and have the sensei issue a challenging task, rewarding whomever accomplishes it with lordship over the domain. If the sensei is Dragon, then the task could even be an obtuse riddle.

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Thanks Spooky. I am trying to surprise my players by dropping the responsibility of solving this on them when the Sensei doesn't show up (probably killed by the gozoku on the way). Clans who have the might to protect the land and can prove that the current clan can't protect it can claim the land right?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Mechayahiko posted:

Thanks Spooky. I am trying to surprise my players by dropping the responsibility of solving this on them when the Sensei doesn't show up (probably killed by the gozoku on the way). Clans who have the might to protect the land and can prove that the current clan can't protect it can claim the land right?

When in doubt, you can add a hatamoto who stands be potentially promoted if there's no heir. You don't even have to make him dishonorable or greedy, an honorable man who stands to inherit will drive politics and plots just as well.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Mechayahiko posted:

Ssssorta. It's technically illegal for a great clan to invade a minor clan, but that tends to be something where the details can be hashed out after the great clan kills everyone and takes their land.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Ssssorta. It's technically illegal for a great clan to invade a minor clan, but that tends to be something where the details can be hashed out after the great clan kills everyone and takes their land.

Also it's not a war until a great clan commits 10,000 or more troops!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Technically legal is the best kind of legal!

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I just finished the layout for the Atlas of Rokugan today. It should go to print within the next day or so.

It's very big. Not Core Rulebook Big, but maybe closer to Imperial Histories big.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Spookyelectric posted:

I just finished the layout for the Atlas of Rokugan today. It should go to print within the next day or so.

It's very big. Not Core Rulebook Big, but maybe closer to Imperial Histories big.

The big AEG rpg event at gencon gives out 'poster size' maps from the atlas. How many maps and what size are we talking about here, if you know? (I already bought tickets, mind, so I'm in regardless, I'd just like to know up front.)

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I don't really know with 100% certainty, but I think there will at least be a map of Rokugan, and I'd be surprised it if wasn't a fold-out map, at least the size of the City of Lies foldout map from 1st Edition. The image file can certainly accommodate one of a decent size. Sorry I can't be more helpful on that front.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Spookyelectric posted:

How many of these maps will have a scale attached to them? I would hope "all of them" but that seems like too much to expect.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
More important, are the any sections that say "Here there be oni" ?

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Yawgmoth posted:

How many of these maps will have a scale attached to them? I would hope "all of them" but that seems like too much to expect.

There's actually a rough scale attached to most of the maps, but if you're hoping for a geographical survey with modern-era accuracy, then you will be disappointed.

The maps are "accurate enough" to give a good idea of how far apart things are, how long it might take to get from one spot to another, etc. But they're also drawn similarly to how a Rokugani cartographer might draw them. The size of cities and castles, for instance, vary based on their political importance and the influence of their lords, not their actual size, and some things have been represented with an emphasis on aesthetics rather than accuracy. The cartographer would not want to insult certain lords by implying certain locations are "more important" or "grander" than their own, and certain borders are disputed between clans, resulting in compromises on the map. This is touched upon in the book. I did my best to find a middle ground between "this is exactly how far these are apart" and "this map is loving useless." It won't please everyone, but hopefully it will please most.

It's better than the 2nd Ed maps, at least. And although I'm not a cartographer, I can promise at least that I was consistent in scale.

The maps are also attempting to make some sense of the often contradictory nature of L5R lore in regards to where things are. For instance, prior to 4th Edition, the Hare Clan lands are described to be in three different locations based on the era, as are the magical teleporting Centipede lands. Or the Kitsune Mori, which is simultaneously snaking thin and extremely vast, bordering lands that later are described as not sharing a border, etc. We had to somehow reconcile this in the Atlas. With contradicting sources, and earlier sources making less sense than newer ones in some cases, which one do you go with? And don't get me started on Zakyo Toshi, it's supposed to guard the borders of clans that don't share borders! Some locations, frankly, just don't make sense, and our challenge is that we have to somehow make sense of them on the map.

The magically-changing size of Rokugan is also addressed and we attempt to "fix" the problems of inconsistency of size between editions. We seriously had so many headaches trying to make a map that was as faithful to all of the existing material as possible, and in the end, we had to make some difficult gut calls. But honestly, I am extremely proud of how it all turned out. I am proud to say that this is the definitive map of Rokugan, and I honestly feel that it is better and more complete than any previous map to be released. At the very least, it will be more dependable than the maps of 3rd Edition, more consistent than the 4th Edition map, and more useful/accurate than the 2nd Edition maps.

A lot of time and love went into these. I hope most people like them.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

More important, are the any sections that say "Here there be oni" ?

Not exactly, but there is... something.

Spookyelectric fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 23, 2015

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Was there any other news on the maps? I was browsing the site the other day and saw zero mention of it even going back several months.

For whatever reason I started reading through the L5R books and remembering how much I like the setting and even the system. I picked up the Naishou Province book/scenario during the Christmas in July sale and it rekindled a desire to play.

Is the L5R/4th Edition line pretty much finished with the release of Imperial Archives or is there any development at all on new stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
They released the map of Rokugan at GenCon as RPG swag.

The Atlas, which includes the same fold-out map, will release in September.

• Locked thread