Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Spookyelectric posted:

They released the map of Rokugan at GenCon as RPG swag.

The Atlas, which includes the same fold-out map, will release in September.

Do we have any idea of any other forthcoming products in the line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spookyelectric posted:

They released the map of Rokugan at GenCon as RPG swag.

The Atlas, which includes the same fold-out map, will release in September.

It's a pretty nice map. I played in the Gencon game and it was the best part of it.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Speaking of maps, one of the campaign ideas in the core book that I always loved but never had a chance to try was an Imperial Cartographer game. Trying to explore external borders and settle disputes over internal ones. Since I only just had a chance to read through Naishou province, I was thinking that might be a neat way of approaching that product- a province abandoned and claimed by two/three clans with varying degrees of legitimacy and trying to navigate both the politics and physical perils of settling the dispute.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
RIP 4th edition, the last product for the L5R RPG by AEG will be Atlas of Rokugan.

Fantasy Flight Games has acquired the L5R Property from AEG

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/11/a-new-emperor-rises/

The CCG is going on a nearly two year hiatus.. to be reborn as a Living Card Game apparently at GenCon 2017.

The RPG? They're going to do SOMETHING, but no one knows what.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

SirFozzie posted:

RIP 4th edition, the last product for the L5R RPG by AEG will be Atlas of Rokugan.

Fantasy Flight Games has acquired the L5R Property from AEG

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/11/a-new-emperor-rises/

The CCG is going on a nearly two year hiatus.. to be reborn as a Living Card Game apparently at GenCon 2017.

The RPG? They're going to do SOMETHING, but no one knows what.

That is the best possible thing that could have ever happened to the franchise.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hopefully the dice don't morph into something impossible to play online.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Gravy Train Robber posted:

That is the best possible thing that could have ever happened to the franchise.

I have a hard time imagining they'll completely dump roll & keep, but even if they do something closer to their 40k games (in quality of mechanics) it's hard not to see it as a step up.

Entoloma
Jan 2, 2009
Not really sure how to feel about it apart from concerned. I suspect any RPG stuff will be sometime after the whatever they are doing with the card game going by official forum posts and twitter comments - so that is my main concern. I've always followed the RPG - never played the card game myself. Will they bother with the RPG or just use the IP for board games and card games? And I'd rather they stick to roll and keep for any RPG stuff.

I just don't know - I feel left in limbo. It's not WotC and I've enjoyed some FFG stuff - they have put out some good games. But we've still 4e to keep us going (I've only just switched over from 3e anyway - got an L5R campaign coming.)

Entoloma fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 12, 2015

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
The 40k game system is kind of a relic of WHRP 2E and Black Library's Dark Heresy work. The Star Wars system that evolved out of WHRP 3E is absolutely fantastic.

I like L5R 4E but I think this is going to be a huge positive change no matter what they do. The card game's move to an LCG was a long time coming, and I trust FFG to run it much better than AEG had been as a CCG, or even how AEG has been handling Doomtown.

Argas posted:

Hopefully the dice don't morph into something impossible to play online.

I don't know if this is a joke but its extremely easy to play the SW RPGs online and we've had quite a few in PBP. The dice system used in Star Wars/WHFRP 3E is actually really great.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Wasn't AEG going to do a new print run of some books? What happened with that?

Edit: And yeah, with FFG's bigger market reach and LCG style for the card game, I might finally give it a try.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I don't know if this is a joke but its extremely easy to play the SW RPGs online and we've had quite a few in PBP. The dice system used in Star Wars/WHFRP 3E is actually really great.

My group plays on IRC and it was a frequent complaint the sole owner of EoTE repeated a lot back when he first got the book. He's since lost interest in it though. Maybe they've made IRC dicebots for the system since.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Plague of Hats posted:

Wasn't AEG going to do a new print run of some books? What happened with that?

They had new prints of old books at GenCon this year, even books that have been out of print like Great Clans.

I know there are guys at Fantasy Flight that are big fans of the RPG, so I suspect there will be something. There's a lot we don't know yet (like how many of us will continue to work on the game), but hopefully we'll hear something soon.

I have a lot of confidence in Fantasy Flight. I think L5R is in good hands.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
There is a statement up on the Alderac site as well now.

quote:

The time comes, however, when any healthy enterprise has to take a step back and look hard and critically at itself. We’ve now reached that time in the life of the L5R Brand. The focus of AEG has progressively shifted toward other types of games over recent years, so, after some hard and detailed analysis (and, yes, some deep soul-searching), we’ve concluded that it’s time to start a new chapter in the story of L5R.

quote:

You will also have noted that Evil Portents will be the last CCG product, and would reasonably ask, why would I want to spend money on a product that’s essentially obsolete the moment it hits store shelves? Why would any retailer even bother carrying it? Well, we’re going to be making Evil Portents available to retailers and players through a pretty remarkable deal–essentially, we’ll be virtually giving it away for free. Details of this will be forthcoming shortly.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

There is a statement up on the Alderac site as well now.

I wonder if they're doing the 'Buy X, get coupon for a box of backstock' deal they did with Doomtown and 7th Sea.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
This post went up from Dave Laderoute on the L5R Facebook group today (Bolded stuff is RPG-relevant, it's at the bottom. You can skip everything else if you're only interested in the RPG):

quote:

Samurai of Rokugan,

And that's probably the last time I'll ever write that. It's taken me a day to get my own thoughts together on this, and that's despite the fact that I've been aware of what's been going on for a while now (hence my somewhat low profile these past couple of weeks). Things actually kinda puttered along for a while, and then the deal with FFG came together very quickly. And now, here we are.

Firs off, I want to say, without reservation, that I believe that this move of L5R to FFG is absolutely the best thing for Rokugan and the games set there. FFG does amazing work, producing fantastic products--I've played all of their LCGs at one time or another, and particularly look forward to finally getting my hands on the new Game of Thrones LCG. They also do terrific board games, and are generally one of the best game companies around (almost as good as AEG :) ) L5R is in excellent hands; I can't wait to crack open the new L5R LCG in 2017 and start playing with all those tokens (sorry, I own a game store, and a multitude of tokens is a running, but fond, FFG joke).

So there's that. For my own part, though, this has been tough. While absolutely the right decision for the game and for AEG, it's been hard seeing this Brand that I only took over a few months ago walk out the door. Like the rest of the Brand Team, I had high hopes we could revitalize the game; it was in a great place mechanically, the broad story we had planned out was AWESOME, and the degree of interaction we wanted to offer you guys to guide and detail it was unprecedented. However, there were also some hard truths. The game's days as a CCG were numbered. We'd already concluded it was time to reinvent it, and were working on a plan to do new things with it, including quite likely turning it into an ECG like Doomtown. Ultimately, all roads led to where we are now--a hiatus for the card game and its reinvention into something other than a CCG. This is where more hard realities came into play. I can't get into details, obviously, but suffice to say that, at the end of the day, selling the Brand to FFG was the only course of action that made sense. John Zinser actually asked me to convince him otherwise, so I sat down and tried to assemble a compelling argument to keep L5R and redo it ourselves...but nothing I could put together was enough to convince ME, much less John. I can guarantee you that John, myself and a few others met many times, emailed many more, agonized and second-guessed, lost sleep and worried, before the decision we all knew was coming was finally made.

So here we are.

Perhaps what makes me saddest of all is the fact that the awesome, amazing people I had the privilege of working with are going to be moving on. Bryan Reese is staying with AEG, as am I (I'm taking over Love Letter), but John Akey, Dan Dineen, Shawn Carman and his amazing Story Team, Rob Hobart, Adrian Burton, Rob Denton, Jeremy Sumerlin, Fred Wan, Roger Giner-Sorolla and the Rules folks, our Design Team...all will be moving on to other things, either sooner or, in some cases, later. These people are more than my coworkers...they're my friends. Seeing this crazy little team of ours break up is tough. Now, some of these folks may find new work with AEG, some may find some opportunities with FFG and carry on with L5R...but it won't be the same. I bow to all of you, in respect and friendship, and wish that the Fortunes watch over all of you.

Okay, that's maudlin enough. I'll end on some stuff of interest to you, the players:

-I'm meeting with the FFG folks this coming week and will be handing over a bunch of stuff to them, including all of our outstanding story and tournament results (and adding the Fall Kotei results and the Euro Champs results as they come in). I'll certainly be advocating to FFG to incorporate all of this stuff into the game and setting when they relaunch it. They, in turn, have already said they'll do their best to do so, but in the end, it will be their call, based on what they believe will be best for their new Brand.

-I have no idea what FFG intends to do with the story...whether they intend to pick it up where we leave it, or start something new. Again, this will be entirely up to them, and its something else I'll be discussing with them next week. Our plan is to wind down the story of L5R for AEG in the most awesome way possible, and leave it in the best, most "samurai drama" place we can. You'll see more about this in the coming days and weeks.

-you're likely aware that Rob Denton has been working on a novel, which we intended to publish in 2016. I'll be discussing this, as well, next week with FFG, to try to determine what's going to happen to this project.

-regarding previews for Evil Portents, we'll probably just release all of them in the Oracle of the Void. However, that's something we have yet to finalize. We'll let you all know what we're planning sometime early next week.

-you may have noticed that the AEG forums disappeared. They're not gone, just hidden. We did that to avoid having folks posting things based on sheer emotion and ending up running afoul of moderators, etc. As it turns out, the dialogue I've seen since the announcement has been, with only a few exceptions, measured and respectful (not quite so true for my own email, but I've got a pretty thick skin). We'll probably start reopening at least some of the forums--for example, the Rules forum, with its accumulated rulings, and the Kotei event forums--next week. More will follow on this.

-I'll be discussing the release of the PDFs for The Blackest Storm and Onyx Edition with various folks, to ensure that no one has any issues with us releasing them. Accordingly, at this point, I can't PROMISE that we'll release them; even though I personally don't see an issue with it, it's not entirely my call. Once more, we'll let you know what we decide...well, as soon as we decide it.

-finally, I've had a lot of questions about the RPG. The new "Atlas of Rokugan" will still be releasing, and soon. That was always going to be the last 4th Edition product (technically, it's edition-neutral, but we'll go with it being the final 4th Edition book). We were considering if and how to do a 5th Edition, but that's obviously up to FFG now. I have no idea what they intend to do with the RPG; they've certainly indicated that they're interested in releasing RPG products, but I believe that it's too early for them to say much more. My own belief (and I emphasize this is my belief, not based on anything I've discussed with them) is that they'll look at doing other L5R products once the LCG has been released and depending on its success. That means a long wait for any new RPG material. However, it's something that's once more in FFG's hands.

I think I've gone on long enough now. I just want to end with a bow to all of you, the amazing, fantastic, sometimes aggravating, always entertaining fans of L5R. I'm sure we'll cross paths again, so this is not sayonara, a final goodbye. Until we DO meet again, carry the Fortunes, all of you.

Hope it's okay that I posted the whole thing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm ready for Emperor Token.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Both the RPG and the CCG could use positive revision. They're both products of the mid-nineties design, and though both have evolved, most of the essentials remain the same. This is particularly true for the RPG, which was always a compromise between Wick's intention for the game and what AEG thought would be sane to market. Not that I would want to see it go back to what Wick wanted, but having firm design principles from the outset would be a big help.

Also roll 'n keep has always been a mathematical nightmare and I wouldn't be sad to see it go.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Both the RPG and the CCG could use positive revision. They're both products of the mid-nineties design, and though both have evolved, most of the essentials remain the same. This is particularly true for the RPG, which was always a compromise between Wick's intention for the game and what AEG thought would be sane to market. Not that I would want to see it go back to what Wick wanted, but having firm design principles from the outset would be a big help.

Also roll 'n keep has always been a mathematical nightmare and I wouldn't be sad to see it go.

It's relatively mathematically complex compared to other dice systems, so it's a little difficult to calculate while at the table, but I don't understand why that's necessarily a bad thing as long as the GM only adjusts the TN rather than fiddling with Die bonuses or penalties.

There's also this: http://lynks.se/probability/ since the probability is perfectly solvable, just a pain to do mentally or by hand. Probably the trickiest bit is the exploding dice since that creates multimodal probability distributions and are just more annoying to account for in a system where the face values are added up as opposed to WoD which is just all about successes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

There's also this: http://lynks.se/probability/ since the probability is perfectly solvable, just a pain to do mentally or by hand. Probably the trickiest bit is the exploding dice since that creates multimodal probability distributions and are just more annoying to account for in a system where the face values are added up as opposed to WoD which is just all about successes.

It's basically something you can't calculate without a reference chart, and it gets further complicated by specialties in 4e. I know the solutions to the issues, but that doesn't keep it from being a headache. It's just one of those mid-90s systems that came up with a clever rolling scheme that doesn't actually serve a specific purpose in the game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm going to be in a 4th edition game of Legend of the Five Rings being run by a friend. I usually don't plan games with detailed settings with a lot of little intricacies, but I really liked the little social nuances that defined day to day life and the overall feel of it. That and the fact that, as my friend explained, this is a game where it's greatly encouraged to solve problems through talking and proper use of ettique instead of battle.

Point is I'm wondering if, as a newbie to games with big settings, I'm going too far with things. See, I found the setting a fun read so I read the whole thing and, since my friend had it and I'm an Ikoma Bard, the section on my character's clan in the Great Clans book. What I mean by too far really is how best to be knowledgeable on the setting without that being to the determent of the other players. We haven't started gaming nor have they made their characters yet, but I'm wondering if there is a good and bad way of being the guy who liked reading the setting book. Normally, I'd just think that I wouldn't call people out or be annoying in that fashion, but, since this game is one that encourages you to play the social game, it seems like it would be good to be like "Hey, bushi, he's a daimoyo. Bow your head to the floor till he nods or he might take both our necks" or "Yeah, don't give him food as a gift or he might take it as you claiming his vassal isn't treating him well." I also think that, since my character is in his early thirties and will likely be older than everyone else, that might help.

Your thoughts?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's basically something you can't calculate without a reference chart, and it gets further complicated by specialties in 4e. I know the solutions to the issues, but that doesn't keep it from being a headache. It's just one of those mid-90s systems that came up with a clever rolling scheme that doesn't actually serve a specific purpose in the game.

Take this as you will, but my friend thought that the system helped since not knowing the odds makes battle seem even more like an option to be avoided. His words, not mine.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This is particularly true for the RPG, which was always a compromise between Wick's intention for the game and what AEG thought would be sane to market. Not that I would want to see it go back to what Wick wanted, but having firm design principles from the outset would be a big help.

I'm curious about this. Is his original vision basically what became Houses of the Blooded and/or Blood & Honor, or are there elements that didn't make it into those games?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Xelkelvos posted:

It's relatively mathematically complex compared to other dice systems, so it's a little difficult to calculate while at the table, but I don't understand why that's necessarily a bad thing as long as the GM only adjusts the TN rather than fiddling with Die bonuses or penalties.

You typically aren't going to have a reference chart at the table and having a system that is opaque so players can't easily know how good their chances of success are is pretty lovely.

Covok posted:

Take this as you will, but my friend thought that the system helped since not knowing the odds makes battle seem even more like an option to be avoided. His words, not mine.
This is exactly the problem. The game spends so much space on combat options and effects, then makes combat a really lovely proposal. It's oWoD style "here's a system, it's really terrible as punishment for needing it" game design.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

The rule of thumb is pretty simple, actually. +6 for each 1k1, +2 for each 1k0, and +4 for each 0k1. This distorts based on how many more rolled dice you have than kept, but is close enough to get you a very good idea of your shot at making a given roll. It's pretty well known among L5R players I've played with, and many people DO have reference sheets at hand for it, either printed or on their phone, and the dicebot we use actually has all the averages on hand, just feed it your roll and append an a for average.

The actual reasoning behind keeping the system, as far as I know, is that it's a good curve with pretty high variance and explosions are just loving fun. It's also terribly slow in offline play, and the sheer variance can get annoying as hell sometimes, but being opaque is really not a thing anymore.

Making combat lovely after spending so much rules time on it is another matter entirely, and has only a little to do with the dice system. it's much more heavily influenced by the other rules of the game, and combat has gotten less lethal in every edition for just this reason.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NinjaDebugger posted:

it's a good curve with pretty high variance and explosions are just loving fun. It's also terribly slow in offline play,
Yeah these are all reasons to burn the roll and keep system to cinders and then eject each individual particle into space in a different direction. Also, the distortion is so bad that +6 per 1k1 etc. doesn't even work the majority of the time, so your "rule" is pretty poo poo. Also explosions aren't even that fun most of the time because they don't get you any loving thing by RAW unless you raise like a moron or are in a contested roll (which I've had happen only a bare handful of times).

All in all it's just a terrible system and I dearly hope that FFG moves the RPG to literally anything else. They could go with OGL d20 and it would be better because at least there a +1 is a +5% every time.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Parkreiner posted:

I'm curious about this. Is his original vision basically what became Houses of the Blooded and/or Blood & Honor, or are there elements that didn't make it into those games?

I wouldn't go that far- the John Wick that wrote those games post-dates the John Wick that worked on Legend of the Five Rings by quite a bit. The rumor really is the original manuscript submitted by John Wick wasn't considered marketable, and that it was hammered into shape by most of the writers AEG was associated with at the time. And though it's not evidence, the credits page of the first edition really seems to back that up:

Hunters, Inc., a short RPG that appeared in Shadis, was also an influence. And I wish I knew more about it! Unfortunately, the only way to get those issues is to find the physical back issues it was published in. Wick was also notable for opining that katana hits should be one-hit cripple / kill injuries, and wanting a far more lethal combat system (and what was published is certainly already pretty lethal). You can also see that sort of influence in his poison system in Way of the Scorpion - no resistance rolls or "saving throws", you just suffer or die or both. What we likely would have seen would be a diceless game similar to Amber with a higher lethality rate and... well, it's hard to think it wouldn't follow a lot of the Play Dirty style of things (or rather, moreso), only with the GM dominance being overt rather than covert.

That's just my guess based on the available evidence, tho.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I'm really curious about how FFG will handle the RPG. I mean, we won't see anything for like two years minimum, but it's fun to speculate. Someone mentioned they could just do full on each clan having their own book, but there's 8-9 clans depending on Spider, not even touching the minor clans, and I imagine they don't want a situation of "sorry, Crab Clan is going last, you have to wait another two years for us to eventually get to you." It would also heavily fracture the market - I imagine most L5R fans have favored clans and ones they dislike, so they'll sell a lot less then a book covering a more grand topic would.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

They might go the route they went with Star Wars. Legend of the Five Rings has a bad case of being a toolkit system, so it ends up mashing "big-huge warfare" content right next to "courtly intrigue" and "magic FBI" sections and leaves it to the GM to sort out which poorly-interfacing parts of the game she wants to use. You could pretty handily split the game apart along those lines, with one game focusing on badass bushi fighting things and trying not to fight the wrong things, another about courtiers trying to duck ninjas while figuring out how to stop all the fighting, and finally one about magistrates trying to figure out how the courtiers got murdered.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

So in late august, I wrapped up what began as a run of the old Heroes of Rokugan modules, the very first campaign. About halfway down the tracks, though, some stuff happened and I basically blew the tracks to smithereens and just went for pure awesome, and the result was amazing.

The world, and the changes the PCs made to it, is too amazing not to reuse, so I made an Imperial Histories-style writeup for the campaign, including a campaign summary, changes the PCs made, a brief summary of the next hundred years (at which point my new game will happen) and mechanics for the world.

The big derailment point is when Agasha Naota forged his masterpiece, a sword named Hitsumetsu (Mortality, written as the kanji 'inevitable' and 'ruin/destruction'), which can kill anything forever, even ideas, if you can find something that embodies them. Havoc ensued.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm excited to see what FFG does with L5R. How long has this been in the works?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Based on the lead time to the launch of the LCG, I'd guess less than 3-4 months of negotiations. They don't even know what they're keeping from the current game fluff wise .

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm really curious about how FFG will handle the RPG. I mean, we won't see anything for like two years minimum, but it's fun to speculate. Someone mentioned they could just do full on each clan having their own book, but there's 8-9 clans depending on Spider, not even touching the minor clans, and I imagine they don't want a situation of "sorry, Crab Clan is going last, you have to wait another two years for us to eventually get to you." It would also heavily fracture the market - I imagine most L5R fans have favored clans and ones they dislike, so they'll sell a lot less then a book covering a more grand topic would.

I was sort of half-joking when I suggested that, though it's what they did with their 40K RPG line and they made people wait years to finally play Space Marines so, y'know, it's not entirely out of the realms of plausibility.

If I had to make a more serious guess I'd say they might go the route Siivola suggested where they follow the Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny breakdown of a series of core games designed to focus in on a certain aspect of L5R gaming.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I'm more worried about their general inability to balance things. L5R has enough balance problems without them making it even worse.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NinjaDebugger posted:

I'm more worried about their general inability to balance things. L5R has enough balance problems without them making it even worse.
Is that even possible?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Is that even possible?

They could always start reverting towards the death spirals and vague mechanics of 1e, if nothing else.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I was sort of half-joking when I suggested that, though it's what they did with their 40K RPG line and they made people wait years to finally play Space Marines so, y'know, it's not entirely out of the realms of plausibility.
Part of the issue there was almost certainly GW's ridiculously tight grip on all things Space Marine, such that FFG had to check every single bit of everything with GW for Deathwatch.

Also Space Marines turned out to be darn boring to play as.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Esser-Z posted:

Part of the issue there was almost certainly GW's ridiculously tight grip on all things Space Marine, such that FFG had to check every single bit of everything with GW for Deathwatch.

Also Space Marines turned out to be darn boring to play as.

I think that the reason more than GW's tightfistedness was that the original 40K gameline (Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Deathwatch) was conceived by GW themselves when Black Library was to produce and publish the games, then FFG came in to pick the pieces up once GW decided "actually we changed our mind RPGs suck." Part of the agreement to license things out to FFG was probably a condition that they produce the games in line with the original announcement.

Nonetheless, FFG does seem content to stick with the idea in broad strokes for their Star Wars game.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Splitting the books by clan or character type doesn't really make sense for L5R in the way it (arguably) does for Star Wars or 40k because there's not the same disparity between factions or campaign frames that those other settings have.

While it's always been a stress point on Star Wars games to have Jedi hanging out with non-force-using characters, or putting Guardsmen next to Space Marines doesn't make sense, the same can't be said about Lion Samurai and Phoenix Shugenja or whatever.

Now, supplements, yeah. I can't imagine them doing anything less than a book for each clan if the line sells well at all. There's a star wars supplement for every individual character class, for god's sake.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
They might do individual books for Shugenja, Courtiers, and Bushi. Not saying they will, but I can see them making an argument that those are three different types of play and such like with Star Wars.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The system and setting of 4th edition has gotten me quite interested. I look forward to being a player, but, even though I originally decided to do a different game for pbp, I'm thinking of maybe doing a pbp of this game. Like, GM one. I'm wondering if anyone has any good advice for someone whose thinking of running this game? Or if it's a good fit for pbp at all?

Also, if anyone has any advice for someone who is going to be a player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
It's a great fit for pbp. Don't run seven games concurrently though.

• Locked thread