Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

EDIT: Beaten like the red-headed stepchild I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Sulecrist posted:

I have a plot question. If a lowly merchant (or a group of middle-class villagers) have a serious grievance against the samurai in control of their region, (A) do they seek out an Imperial Magistrate or a higher-ranking samurai or both, and (B) if the Imperial Magistrate, would that dude be riding circuit or would have have a home base they could go to? Also, how feudal is the land-control system, exactly? Could a given stretch of land with its villages conceivably be under the thumb of a single powerful samurai (with little outside oversight other than the Magistrate), or is micromanagement/federalism/activist daimyoing more common?

It depends on village, area, clan, family, and time period. If you're talking about generic current edition setting then there are many villages with little/no oversight. Lowly merchants would most likely attempt to get up enough coin to hire a Ronin or gain the ear of known hero of the people or monk. If they're lucky that person (or people) would investigate and bring evidence of actual wrongdoing to someone higher up the chain. It is also important to note that the samurai in charge is more important than the villagers, so unless whatever he's doing violates the standing laws or harms the celestial order there's likely little that could be done (legally) about it.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Etherwind posted:

They're poo poo out of luck. Merchants are lower than peasants, and unless they're bringing something tremendously important to the attention of the authorities (literally, "This person is practising maho") then they will be ignored at best and executed for their impudence in daring to profane the name of a samurai at worst.

If they were revealing such a thing, and the subject of their report was the Daimyo of a region, they'd contact Clan Magistrates first, then attempt to send word to the Family Daimyo if that failed, then the Clan Champion, and only Imperial Magistrates if all else failed. In any of these scenarios the lowly merchant is basically inviting any samurai he approaches to execute him for thoughts above his station (calling a samurai into question is not cool), and even if he is believed, unless he's dealing with the Kitsuki Family of the Dragon Clan they won't care for evidence and his testimony is useless. Under this situation, it's either something massively important, or any merchant with any sense will grumble and put up with it.

Rokugani are dicks.

Good, this is exactly the setup I'm looking for.

EDIT: To elaborate: My game (a five-hour one-off) begins like this. The party is drinking tea at a rad little place. There's a lowly merchant and he's half-mad with fear and grief, and he comes to them to beseech them for intervention. Basically dozens of peasant children have disappeared, one-by-one over the course of months, into the regional daimyo's manor, never to emerge again. The dude is a Kitsu shugenja, incidentally. Each morning, the children's remains appear in the shrine outside the manor. The merchant's was one of the most recent taken. He pled to the magistrate, who, despite a funny feeling, had him and all the peasant eyewitnesses who came forward flogged for their insolence. This is Lion Clan territory, after all.

So the merchant's gone, his back bloody, up the road to beg help from outsiders. The magistrate's developed an odd sort of morality over the course of the Clan Wars, and while he was unwilling to do anything to jeopardize the public integrity of the Lion Clan, he is sticking around to keep an ear to the ground. There's been no accusation of maho, and it'd be entirely improper to let the half-men say whatever they want without real proof, but this does rather smell of the real thing. So he'll be watching, and if the party arrives, they may bump into his observation.

Really, the party has very little room within society to maneuver. But they're 21st-century players playing a mix of idealistic, hyper-pragmatic, and anti-Lion dudes (Crane/Scorpion), and I have a feeling we'll get some good drama out of it. If this scenario is plausible.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 25, 2012

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

Good, this is exactly the setup I'm looking for.

EDIT: To elaborate: My game (a five-hour one-off) begins like this. The party is drinking tea at a rad little place. There's a lowly merchant and he's half-mad with fear and grief, and he comes to them to beseech them for intervention. Basically dozens of peasant children have disappeared, one-by-one over the course of months, into the regional daimyo's manor, never to emerge again. The dude is a Kitsu shugenja, incidentally. Each morning, the children's remains appear in the shrine outside the manor. The merchant's was one of the most recent taken. He pled to the magistrate, who, despite a funny feeling, had him and all the peasant eyewitnesses who came forward flogged for their insolence. This is Lion Clan territory, after all.

So the merchant's gone, his back bloody, up the road to beg help from outsiders. The magistrate's developed an odd sort of morality over the course of the Clan Wars, and while he was unwilling to do anything to jeopardize the public integrity of the Lion Clan, he is sticking around to keep an ear to the ground. There's been no accusation of maho, and it'd be entirely improper to let the half-men say whatever they want without real proof, but this does rather smell of the real thing. So he'll be watching, and if the party arrives, they may bump into his observation.

Really, the party has very little room within society to maneuver. But they're 21st-century players playing a mix of idealistic, hyper-pragmatic, and anti-Lion dudes (Crane/Scorpion), and I have a feeling we'll get some good drama out of it. If this scenario is plausible.

The way for smart heimin and hinin to avoid the beatings and still get things done is to just say "Children are disappearing" and let the idealistic samurai follow whatever clues they can dig up.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

The way for smart heimin and hinin to avoid the beatings and still get things done is to just say "Children are disappearing" and let the idealistic samurai follow whatever clues they can dig up.

Yeah, I had thought the dude that lost his kid was sort of unwilling to be cool (if he's not wild enough to freak out initially, he's probably not wild enough to burst in, grovelling and scraping, to the VIP room in a high-end tea house) and kind of dragged everyone else in, but maybe it was just him and no one else was willing to say they saw the kids go into the mansion?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

Yeah, I had thought the dude that lost his kid was sort of unwilling to be cool (if he's not wild enough to freak out initially, he's probably not wild enough to burst in, grovelling and scraping, to the VIP room in a high-end tea house) and kind of dragged everyone else in, but maybe it was just him and no one else was willing to say they saw the kids go into the mansion?

Oh, I was more making a suggestion on how to handle the PCs, but having it just be the one dude with nobody else willing to back him up leaves more clues for the PCs to uncover.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 81 days!
Soiled Meat
Kids going missing and their remains turning up is something that would send up all kinds of red flags (hello Maho or Taint) and actually not get the merchant thrashed, actually. No matter what's going on, it's almost certainly not good and requires an investigation.

The thing to understand is that the peasantry aren't people, to the samurai, but property. Specifically, they are property to be guided and stewarded by the samurai, responsibly. If a Daimyo is killing children, he's not just potentially practising Maho or risking a scandal, he's misusing the resources of the Clan, and that's the sort of thing his Daimyo would give a gently caress about. Furthermore, unless the children are Eta and the samurai in question are really loving callous, they're still children, and their mysterious murders definitely warrant a look.

You better believe that dead kids would get the Clan Magistrates involved. The only person who could get away with that kind of thing without scrutiny would be someone really high up in the Imperial Court or with equivalent power, and even then, people would be muttering darkly and avoiding the subject out of fear.

That's some Mad Hantei poo poo you've got going on with that Daimyo.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Etherwind posted:

Kids going missing and their remains turning up is something that would send up all kinds of red flags (hello Maho or Taint) and actually not get the merchant thrashed, actually. No matter what's going on, it's almost certainly not good and requires an investigation.

The thing to understand is that the peasantry aren't people, to the samurai, but property. Specifically, they are property to be guided and stewarded by the samurai, responsibly. If a Daimyo is killing children, he's not just potentially practising Maho or risking a scandal, he's misusing the resources of the Clan, and that's the sort of thing his Daimyo would give a gently caress about. Furthermore, unless the children are Eta and the samurai in question are really loving callous, they're still children, and their mysterious murders definitely warrant a look.

You better believe that dead kids would get the Clan Magistrates involved. The only person who could get away with that kind of thing without scrutiny would be someone really high up in the Imperial Court or with equivalent power, and even then, people would be muttering darkly and avoiding the subject out of fear.

You have a point. If only one dude's come forward to the magistrate, though, that problem doesn't exist. One dude's kid isn't going to get that much attention, period.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Etherwind posted:

I may take NinjaDebugger's advice and go back to my original scheme of having the merchant being the only one coming forward, but my worry is that then the only logical punishment would be summary execution. I guess the magistrate could have a quirk tending away from that, though.

Really, all I need is for the system to plausibly either break or slow down--it's only been a few days and the guy who watches the watcher, for some reason or another, didn't do his job, and if the PCs don't intervene, by the time the watcher who watches the first watcher gets there, all of the physical evidence will be gone and it's the word of a magistrate and a daimyo against some very scared peasants (who might no longer be willing to talk at all).

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

I may take NinjaDebugger's advice and go back to my original scheme of having the merchant being the only one coming forward, but my worry is that then the only logical punishment would be summary execution. I guess the magistrate could have a quirk tending away from that, though.

Really, all I need is for the system to plausibly either break or slow down--it's only been a few days and the guy who watches the watcher, for some reason or another, didn't do his job, and if the PCs don't intervene, by the time the watcher who watches the first watcher gets there, all of the physical evidence will be gone and it's the word of a magistrate and a daimyo against some very scared peasants (who might no longer be willing to talk at all).

The easiest way to get your PCs involved depends largely on who's in the group. You may not need to get the magistrate involved at all, at first. If the merchant isn't a dipshit, it's pretty obvious that he's not going to get anything but a quick execution if the peasants leave him hanging when he goes to the Lion.

He'll have a much better bet asking for intervention by a nice soft hearted Crane or Phoenix, if one happens to be handy, or by asking a favor from a passing Scorpion samurai, who would likely be all in on the chance to embarrass the poo poo out of the Lion.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

The easiest way to get your PCs involved depends largely on who's in the group. You may not need to get the magistrate involved at all, at first. If the merchant isn't a dipshit, it's pretty obvious that he's not going to get anything but a quick execution if the peasants leave him hanging when he goes to the Lion.

He'll have a much better bet asking for intervention by a nice soft hearted Crane or Phoenix, if one happens to be handy, or by asking a favor from a passing Scorpion samurai, who would likely be all in on the chance to embarrass the poo poo out of the Lion.

I'll go with something like this, then. I'd rather not have the magistrate in the mix at all, anyway. And maybe I'll have the child's remains not turn up yet--all the merchant has is a terrible feeling, and knowledge that if he goes in-house with it he'll be disintegrated.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Sulecrist posted:

I'll go with something like this, then. I'd rather not have the magistrate in the mix at all, anyway. And maybe I'll have the child's remains not turn up yet--all the merchant has is a terrible feeling, and knowledge that if he goes in-house with it he'll be disintegrated.

And maybe the PCs are in debt to the merchant somehow? They need money? Guess who has it - a merchant. This could be some way of getting out of debt or getting their own daimyo out of debt. Sure it's not the picture perfect Rokugan caste, but things hardly work how they're supposed to.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 81 days!
Soiled Meat
You don't get in debt to a merchant; you get in debt to a merchant's patron. Even then, it's a debt of honour, not commerce: no honourable Samurai (apart from the Honoured Yasuki, Honoured Yoritomo, Honoured Patrons of the Daidoji Trading Council and Courtiers of the Ide) would involve themselves in the disreputable work of commerce, and no samurai would ever owe a debt to a merchant.

Seriously, merchants are only just above eta in the setting. They are the least respectable profession you can fulfil while not being a non-person. A samurai is more likely to magnanimously listen to a farmer than they are a merchant.

Etherwind fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 26, 2012

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
Yes, sure, whatever. Idealistic Rokugan. :allears:

If a daimyo doesn't pay back his debts nobody is going to lend to him again. His credit is trashed. I'm all out of weapons and horses, daimyo (sold them to your enemy). And then when war comes nobody is going to ride to his aid in whatever poo poo province he controls. He has lost face by being untrustworthy and dishonorable. And then his honorable samurai become ronin bent on revenge (oh, hey, adventure plot :v:).

Reclaiming debt doesn't even have to be direct. Once you have a working relationship it's probably understood. Do a little favor here and there to keep face, and then your populace isn't going to betray you (see Confucianism). Or maybe the merchant patron "donates" to the daimyo and tells him a story about some dude in the forest and lamenting about it. It doesn't even have to be true, but the daimyo has an obligation to listen. Edit: maybe the merchant patron is into the slave trade and that dude is really rescuing children, but the merchant patron has the ear of the daimyo.

So the chain of communication would go

merchant -> any number of steps in-between -> merchant patron -> daimyo -> any number of steps in-between -> samurai

and then the samurai would go out and deal with the problem :black101:

But if the merchant contacted the samurai directly they'd probably spit in his face.

spacebard fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 26, 2012

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 81 days!
Soiled Meat

spacebard posted:

Yes, sure, whatever. Idealistic Rokugan. :allears:

I specifically mentioned debt of honour for this reason. There are plenty of financial transactions in Rokugan where the samurai involved doesn't care about the underlying money so much as having someone who owes a massive favour.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

spacebard posted:

But if the merchant contacted the samurai directly they'd probably spit in his face.

As much as I agree with much of the spirit of your post, this is a one-off adventure and not only can I rely on my players to take the bait, I can rely on a Crane and a Scorpion to do absolutely whatever they can to stick it to the Lion in the years immediately after the Clan Wars, especially if it happens to conform to the Crane's naive attachment to the very poor and the Scorpion's interest in arcane espionage.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sulecrist posted:

As much as I agree with much of the spirit of your post, this is a one-off adventure and not only can I rely on my players to take the bait, I can rely on a Crane and a Scorpion to do absolutely whatever they can to stick it to the Lion in the years immediately after the Clan Wars, especially if it happens to conform to the Crane's naive attachment to the very poor and the Scorpion's interest in arcane espionage.
The best thing you can do to make this "realistic" in L5R is to make the sadistic Lord guy a monstrously evil douche that the PCs witness being unneccessarily cruel, and who the local samurai all hate, but can't really oppose because he is their boss. Samurai aren't supposed to be bushido robots, they can still feel bad for suffering and afraid peasants. You don't have to execute a dude for asking for a favor, you just have to mind the social consequences of people knowing what you did or didn't do. L5R samurai are supposed to honor compassion as much as courage, and part of a samurai's job is to protect peasants, since the peasants aren't allowed to protect themselves.

When the party goes poking their noses around and trying to help, all of the peasants are going to want to do something to help (assuming they aren't being scrutinized by someone loyal to the local daimyo at the time), and the disgruntled local samurai could at least be persuaded to allow the PCs to rock the boat if it means getting rid of Kitsu Caligula. If these are new players, the clever locals can always "misinterpret" things they see and hear in the PCs favor.

edit: This is basically the plot for the newish samurai flick "13 Assassins"

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, there's a goon selling the 3E revised book in SA-mart. I've played the CCG for years but never touched the RPG. I'm kind of interested in running a game that would eventually lead to the Burning Sands (because I love that setting so much) and figured the 3E-R book would be a better choice than 4th because the LBS book was made with it in mind.

Or should I just break down and pick up a 4E book? Did they completely change the mechanics around on us or something?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

bairfanx posted:

So, there's a goon selling the 3E revised book in SA-mart. I've played the CCG for years but never touched the RPG. I'm kind of interested in running a game that would eventually lead to the Burning Sands (because I love that setting so much) and figured the 3E-R book would be a better choice than 4th because the LBS book was made with it in mind.

Or should I just break down and pick up a 4E book? Did they completely change the mechanics around on us or something?

I believe there is a LBS supplement on the web.

If not, 3rd and 4th are pretty similar. The biggest changes, if I remember correctly, are that schools and mastery bonuses were rebalanced. So I would recommend going through the LBS supplement and making sure that the schools their aren't overpowered next to the 4E schools.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 81 days!
Soiled Meat
3rd Edition Revised is very bad. It's full of editing mistakes and rules errors that make it unplayable in places. Just get 4th Edition.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
So, is the core rulebook out of print? I see a copy that's at about $50 after shipping and Amazon doesn't have it in stock; AEG's site only has the special edition clan mon ones.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Etherwind posted:

I specifically mentioned debt of honour for this reason. There are plenty of financial transactions in Rokugan where the samurai involved doesn't care about the underlying money so much as having someone who owes a massive favour.

Hey, sorry about that dude. I went all grognard. It's been a long couple of weeks at work.

Just picked up Imperial Histories. :fap:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

spacebard posted:

Hey, sorry about that dude. I went all grognard. It's been a long couple of weeks at work.

Just picked up Imperial Histories. :fap:

Is it any good? I got Emerald Empire and The Great clans when they were on sale at a shop I occasionally go to, but I am never actually able to play them I just kind of like the storylines.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

If you just like the storyline then Imperial Histories is the perfect book for you.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

If you just like the storyline then Imperial Histories is the perfect book for you.

Hurray!

I would like to actually play it, but I live in a tiny town and the only way I could play would be to catch a train to Manchester and back.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
It's a pretty sweet book, which focuses much more one the narrative than on mechanics - there's barely anything in there crunch-wise other than a few schools. Hell, most of them aren't really made with players in mind other than a couple monk schools.

Either way, it has a lot of cool history (obviously) and goes into a surprising amount of detail in regards to the different eras of Rokugan.

The only thing I don't like is that the short stories at the beginning of each chapter seem almost fan-fic in quality.

I bought it today, 'cause it was 25% off on RPGnow. Pretty good deal.

Also, the Thousand Years Of Darkness is rad as gently caress and if anyone can figure out a good way to run it, they totally should.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Saith posted:

Also, the Thousand Years Of Darkness is rad as gently caress and if anyone can figure out a good way to run it, they totally should.

It does seem like a very cool book, the one thing I didn't like about the Thousand year of Darkness is the entirety of the Dragon clan basically vanishing into The Nothing. Because that seems really flipping irritating to someone who just wants to talk in koans all the time.

And I wish I knew more about the whole Unicorn war under Moto Chagatai, what happened there? I know they sort of smashed into the lion but what happened then?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Unicorn under Chagatai seemed like they were building for a Romance of the Three Kingdoms story line but that kind of petered out without going anywhere. That's about it. The majority of the Dragon clan falling to the nothing doesn't mean you can't do Dragon characters, In the original fiction most of the most popular personalities kept free of the taint.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The Unicorn under Chagatai seemed like they were building for a Romance of the Three Kingdoms story line but that kind of petered out without going anywhere. That's about it. The majority of the Dragon clan falling to the nothing doesn't mean you can't do Dragon characters, In the original fiction most of the most popular personalities kept free of the taint.

I know I know, its just a bit "poof there goes an especially cool clan to Nothing!".

Oh I am sad that that stopped, I would have loved to have seen a bit more chinese history in Rokugan, especially if I can make "Do not pursue [insert deadly character here]" remarks into a game.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm hoping they do a write-up of the Destroyer War, as I stopped paying attention during Race To The Throne (I had a mini-nerd rage at the Toturi Dynasty getting shitcanned) but now that Rokugan seems to be colonizing the Ivory Kingdoms I'm once again intrigued by where the story is headed.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
My group is planning to run a Lo5R game in the next couple of weeks. I've never even looked through book but I have a general idea of the setting. What should I be looking at to build a kind of noble samurai character (cultured warrior rather than berserker sword fetishist)? Lion clan described to me as the big warrior culture clan.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Kakita Bushi :swoon:
They're all about duelists and being gentlemanly and the perfect cut and and and.
But nah, they're pretty cool. They're suited more to single combat than mass battles though.
If you'd prefer a soldier who's not a massive tosser, maybe an Akodo?
Honestly, while Clans and Schools do form a large part of a character's personality, don't feel the need to stick to every stereotype.

e:Kakita are a family in the Crane Clan, who try to perfect the art of the duel.
Akodo are a Lion Clan family who are known for their master strategists and foresight (as opposed to the Matsu's berzerking rage).

There others such as the Shiba who are in the Phoenix clan and serve as protectors of the shugenja there and the Utaku who are noble cavalry women who get their best bonuses while mounted.

Saith fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 8, 2012

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Chance II posted:

My group is planning to run a Lo5R game in the next couple of weeks. I've never even looked through book but I have a general idea of the setting. What should I be looking at to build a kind of noble samurai character (cultured warrior rather than berserker sword fetishist)? Lion clan described to me as the big warrior culture clan.

Most Lions are stereotyped as duty obsessed bores. Seriously, a large part of their characterisation by the other clans is just how freaking dull they are. That doesn't mean YOU have to play it as boring but bear in mind that you might be a bit more of the black sheep of the family if you give a poo poo about pesants, or occasionally smile.

And the thing you have described is virtually all "bushi" with a high honour score who isn't a crab. Personally I would go Miramoto, but then I really like the dragon clan.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I'll take a look at these Kakita fellows. I'm still feeling the game out since I don't have a print copy of the rule book and I don't plan to buy one just for a one shot. I think I remember reading a novel years ago based in this setting. Unicorn samurai definitely sound familiar. From what I've seen and heard, this game is supposed to be pretty brutal in combat but places more emphasis on roleplaying right? So if I roll up a Kakita retainer, I could have courtly skills and the like and not just be an asian themed DnD fighter, right?

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Chance II posted:

I'll take a look at these Kakita fellows. I'm still feeling the game out since I don't have a print copy of the rule book and I don't plan to buy one just for a one shot. I think I remember reading a novel years ago based in this setting. Unicorn samurai definitely sound familiar. From what I've seen and heard, this game is supposed to be pretty brutal in combat but places more emphasis on roleplaying right? So if I roll up a Kakita retainer, I could have courtly skills and the like and not just be an asian themed DnD fighter, right?

Pretty much, yeah. They're definitely supposed to be in the courts - unless they're a member of one of the Daidoji schools. They're stereotyped as being feminine, well-spoken and just sort of flowery. But they're also some of the best duelists in Rokugan, and seeing as dueling is a pretty big thing there when it comes to settling disputes, this only helps to make the Crane an even bigger powerhouse at politics.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Saith posted:

Pretty much, yeah. They're definitely supposed to be in the courts - unless they're a member of one of the Daidoji schools. They're stereotyped as being feminine, well-spoken and just sort of flowery. But they're also some of the best duelists in Rokugan, and seeing as dueling is a pretty big thing there when it comes to settling disputes, this only helps to make the Crane an even bigger powerhouse at politics.

I like how, in the current setting at least, the crane are a bit adrift after they have been so kicked about by everyone else and are a bit less of a powerhouse.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...

Josef bugman posted:

I like how, in the current setting at least, the crane are a bit adrift after they have been so kicked about by everyone else and are a bit less of a powerhouse.

I don't really keep up with the metaplot other than what's in Imperial Histories. v:shobon:v

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Also, the Crane dye their hair white out of tradition.

So yeah, they're literally a clan of white-haired bishies.

If that's a dealbreaker, then I would recommend a Mirumoto Bushi.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Saith posted:

I don't really keep up with the metaplot other than what's in Imperial Histories. v:shobon:v

From what I can gather the current Empress is the first one of her dynasty (the Iweko I think) and she has married a lion former deathseeker. The crane are put out by this because they have fewer important people at court and the emperess refused to marry one of their members. The scorpion also hold a bit more power in the courts than usual.

Other than that the spider clan is semi-respectable having had all of it's tainted members killed, and Daigotso has stopped hearing Fu leng and is starting to go :ohdear: about his purpose.

And now there is something about taking the war to the Ivory Kingdoms, as Rokugan (for some reason?) needs the space. I don't get it either, but then I ignore the latest development until they write it up and make it seem reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
How do you find all this stuff? Is it in other sourcebooks or are you just going by the wiki?

• Locked thread