Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bellicose Buddha posted:

The Kolat also have brethren out side Rokugan, though they may or may not know this. The Kolat was originally from the Burning Sands (spelled Qolat there.) In fact they are very much entrenched there, though not really much closer to their goals of over throwing religion, as the cultures in the Burning Sand tend to be much more merit based than Rokugan. There is a whole stranger in a strange land aspect one could do with a Kolat game where, maybe everything goes south and they have to flee the Empire for a while and they end up in Medinaat Al Salam for a bit, being some what guided about by their desert counterparts. Not saying jump into this aspect, but it would make for a nice change of pace during a long game.

The Qolat are rather more sympathetic, though, based on the fact that the gods in Burning Sands have a bigger history of being huge dicks.

Their formation was a direct result of the sun goddess, Shilah, razing...the, uh, the entire region. To the point where nothing can really grow there and it became the Burning Sands, killing off a good 90% of the population at the time.

I really don't blame the Qolat for holding a grudge, even if it was an rear end-long time ago, their gods suck.

(Burning Sands was great and I was sad when they never released any other books for it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Toku is legitimately my favorite L5R character. Literally everyone connected to him is completely awesome.

The best part is he was not a samurai. Toku's backstory is that dude is a peasant farmer who lucked into a katana when the Seven Samurai happened around him.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The main problem is largely that a Daigotsu Bushi is encouraged to get as much taint as they can handle because it gives more mechanical benefits for them. Chuda Shugenja actually are good at reducing the Taint they gain, and Daigotsu Courtiers don't have any bonuses from Taint and are good at hiding it. Order of the Spider Monks get bonuses from Taint, like the Daigotsu Bushi.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is LBS worth the $25 price tag? I'm looking for a good, Arabic setting, and I already like L5R, but that's a pretty high price tag, and I don't know how well the free conversion works.

I think it is, but I really love the LBS fluff.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yawgmoth posted:

Question for you all: How do you introduce an ancestor to an established character? My GM and I have statted out an ancestor for my character but he's really unsure how to bring him into being around. Should/can he just appear one day and start advising? Should my character do some sort of ritual to get his attention? There's precious little printed on the topic.

I would go with the character accidentally awakening the ancestor with some symbolically relevant act, like accidentally recreating a scene from their life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pretty much all that can be said is 'Rokugan is significantly smaller than the Burning Sands, but possibly about the same size as Not India', I think.

Which leads to the possibility that the Burning Sands are literally a continent-sized desert.

• Locked thread