Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Unicorn under Chagatai seemed like they were building for a Romance of the Three Kingdoms story line but that kind of petered out without going anywhere. That's about it. The majority of the Dragon clan falling to the nothing doesn't mean you can't do Dragon characters, In the original fiction most of the most popular personalities kept free of the taint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Josef bugman posted:

It is kind of nice, but you wouldn't want them in every campaign. If your playing "crab on the wall" you don't really want to have some shouty hero come along and do you job better than you.

Shouty samurai on the wall are encouraged. Crabs on the wall are trained to yell as loud and as long as possible while they're being savagely eaten by an oni. In order to wake as many people as possible.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Josef bugman posted:

"That mans job is to scream", as it were?

I more meant being happy and jovial and so on might be a bit out of place if your going for grimdark "kill all the shadowlands" campaign.

I think it's perfect. Makes the horror of the situation much more palpable when the Monkey finally sees too much and starts to crack.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
A little bit. If they didn't want player's to be able to take schools outside their family they wouldn't have an advantage for that express purpose.

Doesn't mean you can't make him earn it. It's an advanced school so wave the "starting characters only" restriction. Make him buy the advantage first, at 3x experience cost. (is it still 4 points?) Let him know that only experience earned in sessions actively advancing his goal of earning entry can be used to purchase it. When he finally gets acceptance, have the Lion Daimyo make him swear a sacred vow to never partake in military action against the Lion.

Story-wise it could be sokething simple as his grandmother was a revered practioner that agreed to be married outside the clan to end a bloody feud. That leaves the door open a crack for the player to cajole his politcal connections and family ties to the champion into asking the boon of the Lion. The Lion eventually relent thinking that he can't possibly succeed so when the player fails the Crane champion owes the Lion a boon and is completely embarassed by his relations weak blood. Lo and behold the player succeeds, but even still they have a hook to bring a super rare talent back into the family at best and the Crane have a weapon that can never be turned against them without dishonoring the entire Crane champions family.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TheAnomaly posted:

Dark Paragon is a monk based advanced class that gets to remove taint points from themselves for awesome powerful effects. Jade petal tea isn't controlled by the crap, it's controlled by the brotherhood of Shinsei.

It's grown, brewed and controlled by a small order of monks in the middle of Crab lands that report directly to the Witch Hunters and Inquisitors.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, to be blunt, the Shadowlands is a place tainted by Jigoku, aka the Realm of Evil. Adventuring in the Shadowlands was literally presented as a fantasy Vietnam where everything wanted you corrupted or dead, and not necessarily in that order. This view probably reached its height back in Bearers of Jade, which had monsters that could possess you just by looking at them, or an eeevil samurai school that got attacks equal to the highest honor rank they were facing.

This was toned down pretty shortly thereafter once other writers took over, which is probably for the best, since books like Bearers of Jade made it almost inconceivable that the Shadowlands forces would ever lose, even though it did have some nicely creepy ideas. Another aspect, though, was making Shadowlands taint and maho into playable mechanics for PCs. The thing is, by later 2nd and then in 3rd edition Shadowlands taint had become sufficiently toothless that players could abuse it pretty woefully with little mechanical drawbacks.

Bearers of Jade was a clumsy attempt to bring the horror of the Shadowlands back after it was lost with the Oni being all up in everyone's face. It was alot scarier before it was properly defined and characters could seriously scoff at its existance. That the writing team actually recognized this going on and created the Shadow as a metacommentary on the thing is kinda cool.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I hated The Merchant's Guide because gently caress me if I needed yet another book of equipment and merchant skills.

Then I find out what it's really about and how just about every book references it and it's already impossible to find.

VVVV Sorry, I meant more like 10 years ago when I still bought books with any regularity.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 6, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He became a Fortune after he died didn't he? Like the Fortune of Luck?

He may have done it kind of clumsily but I find myself agreeing with a lot of Wick's stances. Even then I didn't notice how overblown his drama was until it was pointed out to me. I guess it's largely due to the fact that he sticks to settings where you expect high drama so I went in expecting it. Has anyone else read Houses of the Blooded? It feels a lot like Wick is describing the way he runs L5R but with Renaissance Italian Opera instead of samurais.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's basically classic samurai stories only with much more in terms of fantasy and some Western aspects mixed in. It's more inspired by period Japanese dramas than really trying to ape them, and it's really become its own thing than easily comparable to anything else.

This in particular makes a lot of the earlier books kinda hard to read at times. There's very much a outsider looking in Japanophile skew to a lot of the setting material. One example is how heavily the books throw around the term 'Eta' for the lowest caste. Technically correct for the time period but horrendously offensive, it literally means "useless pile of poo poo".

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh, I get the caste system and m fine with it. But don't use a real life ethnic slur to get it across, it's like if Deadlands threw friend of the family all over the place.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Do they still do block books to give details on what's happening in the card game? I have the first three, Day of Thunder, Hidden Empire, and the Four Winds. Unless Iuchiban wasn't covered in the Four Winds book. I think that's it, we're there any after that?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I only skimmed that chapter but wasn't there a Star Trek style planet classification system too? Like each planet's atmosphere and livability was determined by which of the spiritual planes it intersected.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FreshFeesh posted:

I'm running a 4th edition campaign set during the thousand years of peace, right before the Coup, and love the dichotomy between two of my players as relates to the setting:

One is a typical power-gamer, trying to be the best at everything and more powerful than all of the other PCs at everything -- his M.O. in all games -- but utterly failed to see the social ramifications of being a Kuni bushi (from Great Clans); he just saw the eventual +lots k lots when beating up the "big evil guys" from the Shadowlands. He completely missed the point of the many conversations I had with the players about the social/political nature of the game I was planning to run and is frustrated when other people can do things better than him (e.g. dueling, court politics, communicating with the kami, being welcome at courts, et cetera). He views the game as "kill the bad guys, in Japan!" And it's a bit of schadenfreude for the rest of the party when his character gets reminded that he's an outsider and his accusations may very well be his undoing if they reach the wrong ears, all things I discussed with him at length when we started the chronicle a year ago.

The other, having played a bit of L5R in the past, has chosen a very high-honor Lion bushi -- so high honor in fact that it's problematic for the other party members, who have to take into account his "lofty ideals" every time they talk about their next plan of action. He's playing this character to showcase how stifling and impossible the societal standards can be, tyrannical even, when taken to their logical extreme, and he's having a ball. His character thinks he's doing it "right" and that it's his duty to teach/guide everyone who doesn't understand the nature of a samurai as well as he -- the player on the other hand is loving how delusional the character is and can't wait for his world to come crumbling apart because reality isn't nearly so starkly defined as bushido/chaos.

Did you run the players into the parts of Rokugan that, at the time, didn't even believe that the Shadowlands was anything more than a desert and viewed their food tithes to the Crab the same way Republicans view welfare? That was always my favorite when I wanted to goad the Crab players a little bit.

Anyone here a fan of Iron Kingdom as well? Given how well a bunch of stuff in the settings mesh together, such as blight/taint, I was thinking of just plopping down Rokugan into Caen on the opposite side of the world and making Fu Leng one of Toruk's children.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, as much as I like a lot of his work and L5R is particular, its cultural tone deafness has never sit right with me. Like how often the words heinin and heimin show up, especially in the earlier works. Technically correct for the time but it would be like creating a Pre-Bellum South RPG and refering to all the slaves as negros, Jims or another word I'm sure you're all familiar with. These are real minority groups facing real discrimination and the game tends to treat them as a prop the same way the worst of feudalism did.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
More important, are the any sections that say "Here there be oni" ?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Based on the lead time to the launch of the LCG, I'd guess less than 3-4 months of negotiations. They don't even know what they're keeping from the current game fluff wise .

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

NGDBSS posted:

You're not inspiring hope here; those clan positions from the Crab and Phoenix seem at least a bit out-of-character. But I suppose a significant part of the problem is the mandate that every time an empire-spanning conflict in the metaplot ends, another must start within living memory of the participants. Wasn't the Scorpion Coup the very first piece of metaplot, after all? And thus far we've had one crazy thing after another within the span of an in-game century, which is pretty short in the context of Rokugan's size/social and technological structure. gently caress, even though Europe (as an example) regularly had conflicts every few decades over three or more millennia, very few such conflicts had quite the scope or stakes as the poo poo that regularly seems to plague the Emerald Empire.

No, the game started with the coup about 5-6 years in the past. It's also not like the current meta really matters, it's not like the story is going to go anywhere now. I'm hard pressed to see a situation whee FFG doesn't either start new or jump the story 1-200 years so they can start fresh and not involve players in this Byzantine legacy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think if you swing too far in the pacifist direction with shugenja you end up undermining the whole bit of the Asahina's shtick of abject pacifists.

Thinking of shugenja as priests might be an issue because of western connotations of the word. While their powers stem from paying respect to the spirits, the spirits are still below humans in the celestial order and are duty bound to serve them as necessary. This plays a part into why maho is so reviled. The tsukai is subverting the natural order by submitting himself to the spirits. There's also the class issue of it putting too much power into the hands of the lower class.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm not saying they should be, I just think they should be thought of as something outside the arcane/divine binary DnD has set as the standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

EverettLO posted:

Beyond that the adventure was a mess because it assumes that players don't mind be followed by mysterious strangers and can put together insane clues from a mute old man. About the point of the fight in the burning warehouse that I had to dial back severely to avoid a TPK is where I just rewrote the ending.

I'd be okay with that, like an rpg adventure version of The Poseidon Adventure with evil demons instead of crumbling ship.

• Locked thread