Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Just to amend/clarify something, the RPGnet prank in question was (as I recall) that Sorenson had gotten C&D'd over his game InSpecters, which was a not!Ghostbusters sort of game, and as a result he was giving up being a game designer and closing up shop within a week or so.

This resulted in a bunch of sympathetic posts as well as people buying his stuff before it all disappeared forever. Then it turned out that the whole thing was actually an April Fool's joke that was, as ARB mentions, meant to build buzz and I think Sorenson might have had a new game or a new website or something coming out. Note that the initial post that led this off was something like a week prior to April Fool's.

People weren't particularly happy being jerked around like this and Sorenson copped a lengthy ban, which prompted Wick (who had been in on it with him) to get all shirty and so he also copped a length ban (like six months or something).

The punchline to all this is that earlier in the year someone had posted a prank thread posing as a friend of John Wick's family who sadly informed everyone that Wick had died in a car crash. Now that's kind of a dumb and lovely thing to do and Wick had every right to be pissed but I remember that his reaction was essentially "people who use the internet to spread misinformation like this are the scum of the earth," which made his whole spiel about RPGnet not taking to his and Sorenson's "prank" the height of something resembling irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'm really curious about how FFG will handle the RPG. I mean, we won't see anything for like two years minimum, but it's fun to speculate. Someone mentioned they could just do full on each clan having their own book, but there's 8-9 clans depending on Spider, not even touching the minor clans, and I imagine they don't want a situation of "sorry, Crab Clan is going last, you have to wait another two years for us to eventually get to you." It would also heavily fracture the market - I imagine most L5R fans have favored clans and ones they dislike, so they'll sell a lot less then a book covering a more grand topic would.

I was sort of half-joking when I suggested that, though it's what they did with their 40K RPG line and they made people wait years to finally play Space Marines so, y'know, it's not entirely out of the realms of plausibility.

If I had to make a more serious guess I'd say they might go the route Siivola suggested where they follow the Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny breakdown of a series of core games designed to focus in on a certain aspect of L5R gaming.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Esser-Z posted:

Part of the issue there was almost certainly GW's ridiculously tight grip on all things Space Marine, such that FFG had to check every single bit of everything with GW for Deathwatch.

Also Space Marines turned out to be darn boring to play as.

I think that the reason more than GW's tightfistedness was that the original 40K gameline (Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Deathwatch) was conceived by GW themselves when Black Library was to produce and publish the games, then FFG came in to pick the pieces up once GW decided "actually we changed our mind RPGs suck." Part of the agreement to license things out to FFG was probably a condition that they produce the games in line with the original announcement.

Nonetheless, FFG does seem content to stick with the idea in broad strokes for their Star Wars game.

• Locked thread