Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm going to be in a 4th edition game of Legend of the Five Rings being run by a friend. I usually don't plan games with detailed settings with a lot of little intricacies, but I really liked the little social nuances that defined day to day life and the overall feel of it. That and the fact that, as my friend explained, this is a game where it's greatly encouraged to solve problems through talking and proper use of ettique instead of battle.

Point is I'm wondering if, as a newbie to games with big settings, I'm going too far with things. See, I found the setting a fun read so I read the whole thing and, since my friend had it and I'm an Ikoma Bard, the section on my character's clan in the Great Clans book. What I mean by too far really is how best to be knowledgeable on the setting without that being to the determent of the other players. We haven't started gaming nor have they made their characters yet, but I'm wondering if there is a good and bad way of being the guy who liked reading the setting book. Normally, I'd just think that I wouldn't call people out or be annoying in that fashion, but, since this game is one that encourages you to play the social game, it seems like it would be good to be like "Hey, bushi, he's a daimoyo. Bow your head to the floor till he nods or he might take both our necks" or "Yeah, don't give him food as a gift or he might take it as you claiming his vassal isn't treating him well." I also think that, since my character is in his early thirties and will likely be older than everyone else, that might help.

Your thoughts?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's basically something you can't calculate without a reference chart, and it gets further complicated by specialties in 4e. I know the solutions to the issues, but that doesn't keep it from being a headache. It's just one of those mid-90s systems that came up with a clever rolling scheme that doesn't actually serve a specific purpose in the game.

Take this as you will, but my friend thought that the system helped since not knowing the odds makes battle seem even more like an option to be avoided. His words, not mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
They might do individual books for Shugenja, Courtiers, and Bushi. Not saying they will, but I can see them making an argument that those are three different types of play and such like with Star Wars.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The system and setting of 4th edition has gotten me quite interested. I look forward to being a player, but, even though I originally decided to do a different game for pbp, I'm thinking of maybe doing a pbp of this game. Like, GM one. I'm wondering if anyone has any good advice for someone whose thinking of running this game? Or if it's a good fit for pbp at all?

Also, if anyone has any advice for someone who is going to be a player.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Zero Suit Ridley posted:

It's a great fit for pbp. Don't run seven games concurrently though.

Did you try to run seven games concurrently?

Also, is running things in Anime Mode so that I don't have to worry so much about accidentally killing characters a bad way to approach things?

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 28, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anyone ever play in the Star Wars-official-alternate setting? The one where its Rokugan in space? How did it turn out, if you did?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

the answer to "when should I set my L5R game" should always be "one of the cool AUs from the Imperial History books"

Yeah, the default timeline is like after the zombie apocalypse and before Star Wars. It's been a while, but it does it seems to be at the most quiet and boring time in a long while.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I know some dice rollers for L5R exist, but are there any places that just rip the math open for all people to look at and learn from?

Also, what is the best alt system for L5R? While I don't think I've ever seen one, I can say with certainty fan hacks exist.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tunicate posted:

http://lynks.se/probability/

Lets you calc roll and keep.

Oh dear God, I just clicked around for a few seconds and those probability curves are just awful. They peak at the oddest spots and peak multiple times for certain configurations. Some of the lower values have straight up isosceles triangles.I don't think there is any uniform benefit to an additional dice or additional dice kept: it must all be considered based entirely on your current placement. I knew intrinsically it was obfuscated, but now I wonder if the creators knew how obfuscated it was.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Siivola posted:

I'm fairly certain that in all but weird corner cases, if you get to choose between rolling or keeping an extra die, you should always keep.

Well, that is good to know, but is the increase in percentage uniform or all over the place?

Covok
May 27, 2013

socilest butthomo posted:

I've actually been messing around with something like that. It's basically a reskin of Apocalypse World. My solution to the taint is currently a separate ‘experience’ track that you mark when appropriate. A lot of clan techniques and styles can be represented as moves or weapons (like a falconer just has a falcon weapon to go with his sword or whatever), and there's no reason similar ones can't be used by characters of different backgrounds and described differently. I also chucked honor ranks in favor of a binary honorable/dishonored, where dishonored is basically what happens when you ‘die’ in court.

It's in really early stages, though, and I've been a little busy undergoing rehabilitation, so I don't know when or if I'll finish it.

If you want some inspiration, look into Urban Shadows. It has a mechanic called "Corruption" that sounds similar to your "taint" idea. Outside of that, if you want to puruse this further, I suggest throwing some ideas/drafts out in the PbtA thread. They might be able to help you more.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Mind you, given how the actual system works, it mostly just boils down to "take one point in skills you think you might use at some point or are flavorful, advance skills from there almost solely for the sake of masteries, upgrade your goddamn traits. Skills become way more valuable if you have enough bonuses to land you at ten dice rolled. Specializations aren't really worthwhile until you have at least 3 in a skill, and are more valuable if you explode on 9's."

There just really aren't a lot of situations where you can choose on the fly between rolling an extra die or keeping an extra die. Or, well, any, that I can think of.

Is this ever deliberately spelled out in the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Anyone thinking of running a game/need a replacement player?

• Locked thread