Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

LogicNinja posted:

You know what I wish?

I wish the guys who did L5R 4E would redo 7th Sea.

No kidding. The only way to even get the old books is to go to a con where they've decided to do another limited run :( (and it's AEG, by the way).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Dedman Walkin posted:

I think LogicNinja meant that he wished the current group who wrote the L5R 4th Edition would make a new version of 7th Sea.

I am aware of this, I'm simply lamenting that you can't even get the OLD books anymore in tangible form without paying a poo poo ton of money on Amazon and that the system and setting has essentially been thrown away despite a poo poo ton of potential (ruined mostly by hiring the same lovely writers as White Wolf, but that's digressing).

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

LGD posted:

7th Sea also had the "minor" problem of being an RPG ostensibly about swashbuckling pirate adventures that failed to have a decent New World analogue (or another substitute) as part of the core setting. And no, the Twilight Archipelago doesn't loving count.

The core setting was great, and all they really needed to do was a splat for the countries and a New World and African Coast settings. Instead the published splats for secret societies that mostly worked better as paragraph descriptions in the main book, then made up more secret societies when they ran out of the first set.

Swashbuckling adventurers? Sure, but I want to play a neo-feminist archaeologist zorro ripoff.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Mahoshonen posted:

Where's a good place to find an explanation for all the fan-rage that AEG generated with its storyline. I stopped following the story after the Hidden Emperor Arc, and when I came back, I was pretty upset when I heard they essentially hit the reset button, but from what I understand fan complaints run much deeper than that.

I can give you the basics. The storyline isn't pre-determined, instead they host a series of big card game tournaments, and the winning deck of the tournament becomes the de-facto awesome dude in the next part of the storyline. It's a bit of a cool concept, except that it often means completely rewriting storylines/characters/events to make a clan the "hero" and often leads to certain clans maintaining the power of story awesome because their card decks are usually overpowered (traditionally Crane, Scorpion, and Dragon. I hear that Mantis is OP as hell right now, but I haven't played the CCG in a while). You follow that up with sharing many of the story-writers with white wolf, so you have a bunch of unique snowflake NPC's that become responsible for everything in the setting. Then they tried to create a unified bad guy throughout their three games in the same time period (Der Schattenman and the army of the Kreuzritter from 7th sea, the Lying Darkness from L5R and Burning Sands) that completely ignored most of the actual plotlines they'd set up in the storyline. That gets followed by an unexpected series of card game winners that further make the storyline implausible, so they decide to kill the last Hantei and have the spirits come back and gently caress poo poo up and re-do the entire setting that many people were heavily invested in for a very long period of time.

It basically boiled down to writing themselves into a corner with crazy poo poo that was often out of left field due to the card game winner determining storyline progress and handling the end of the cluster gently caress poorly.

EDIT: What Liesmith said.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Etherwind posted:

The Nezumi are still around. After they wrote them out they retconned them back in, and they're actually more hopeful now than before: a lot of them feel that they've finally outran Tomorrow.

They aren't back in the CCG though, are they? In the setting two tribes didn't go to the warrens of the One and transcend with the rest, so they've always technically been there.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

NutShellBill posted:

Yes... That will do nicely for my rank one shugenja.

Is your earth ring at 3? because if not one or two hits is likely to drop you, even from a much smaller damage weapon, and someone with really high reflexes 3/4 and heavy armor will be very difficult to hit with 7k3. and absorbs 7 of your damage. You might want your earth ring up, and you definitely want the earth spell that gives you damage absorption.

Also, with those many points in heavy weapons, you're missing out on some essential skills for most shugenja (especially one with void spells). Meditation 3 or Tea Ceremony 3 allows you to recover 2 void points per day from those skills instead of one, and if you've just raised agility/strength to 3 instead of fire/water then you're missing out on additional spell slots.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Sulecrist posted:

I have a plot question. If a lowly merchant (or a group of middle-class villagers) have a serious grievance against the samurai in control of their region, (A) do they seek out an Imperial Magistrate or a higher-ranking samurai or both, and (B) if the Imperial Magistrate, would that dude be riding circuit or would have have a home base they could go to? Also, how feudal is the land-control system, exactly? Could a given stretch of land with its villages conceivably be under the thumb of a single powerful samurai (with little outside oversight other than the Magistrate), or is micromanagement/federalism/activist daimyoing more common?

It depends on village, area, clan, family, and time period. If you're talking about generic current edition setting then there are many villages with little/no oversight. Lowly merchants would most likely attempt to get up enough coin to hire a Ronin or gain the ear of known hero of the people or monk. If they're lucky that person (or people) would investigate and bring evidence of actual wrongdoing to someone higher up the chain. It is also important to note that the samurai in charge is more important than the villagers, so unless whatever he's doing violates the standing laws or harms the celestial order there's likely little that could be done (legally) about it.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Etherwind posted:

Not necessarily. It would depend heavily on the justification, and "If we were to duel, it would likely end with one of us seriously wounded if not worse, and this would be needlessly wasteful to our lords," is a pretty good justification for deciding a minor matter like that without resorting to a duel, particularly if both of the potential duellists are very good.

Formal duels also require the express permission of the Daimyo of both duelists, or whoever happens to be in charge of their lives at the moment in strange circumstances. So if you're an imperial agent, you can expect ALL duels to be delayed until your time of emerald service is over. Remember, your lives belong to those you serve, not yourselves, and dueling over something as petty as honor when you have duty to perform is itself dishonorable.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Etherwind posted:

I could do with a bit of feedback.

I'm currently running a 4th Edition L5R campaign, and we're roughly halfway through the plot arc. One of the player characters is a Crane Clan, Doji Family, Asahina Shugenja School Ishiken (i.e. Doji trained by the Asahina Shugenja School who can use Void magic).

One of the other player characters is playing his twin brother, a Crane Clan, Doji Family, Kakita Bushi School Duellist. Both of them are Kuge, third cousins of the Crane Clan Champion. The two of them have been a blast!

Unfortunately, the shugenja's player wants to have his character join the Sodan-Senzo.

The guy messaged me on Skype and asked me to bring my hard copy of Imperial Histories to the game, as he wanted to discuss something in person. After repeatedly asking him what it was about so I could read over the material, he eventually admitted he wanted his character to join that advanced school.

When I raised the first issue (he's Crane, his parents were both Crane) he responded by saying that he and his character's brother's player had mapped out their family tree to make their father's mother a Kitsu. I tried explaining that this wasn't going to cut it, as his blood would be too diluted for him to join. I haven't even raised the political issues of someone trained by a pacifist shugenja school joining the elite of the Lion's shugenja.

He responded with:

"Why? Why wouldn't the children manifest it if it's by blood? It wouldn't even be a big leap since it's already established my character's massively interested in the spirits anyway. This is something I'm actually interested in, unlike everything else. It's the first thing that's actually leaped out at me and I've worked with the fluff to try and make it work. There's got to be at least some give and take here over just a flat out no."

So what do you guys think? I have the feeling he's being a massive Special Snowflake, and while I'm perfectly fine with player characters being special snowflakes in the general sense (they are the heroes of the game), I'm less cool with it when it over-stretches or outright breaks the setting constraints.

My instinct his to tell him no. Am I being too harsh?

Yes. If he's really into it and it will increase his enjoyment of the game, go for it. If you want it to be a something he has to earn, Have a lion make the offer but force him to marry into the Lion Clan to do it (officially, meaning that he becomes a Lion of his wifes family). Or have the spirit of his dead grandmother on his fathers side contact him and start teaching him, hoping that it will help him avert some oncoming disaster. If you don't want to make it a thing, just give him a tutor. It's only as big a deal as you are willing to make it.

OTOH, most advanced classes are really limited in scope, so make sure it's something he actually wants to do and not something that seems cool for 3 seconds and then leaves him feeling underwhelmed.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This started over on grogs.txt, but I'm movin' on up.

It's the way it was presented through four Shadowlands books and two editions of the game. It's not some crazy personal take on something. You can call that hubris if you like, but, uh, that's the way the game was for practically a decade.

Yes, and one that destroyed tainted people. Either you retired and drank jade tea and hoped for the best, or joined the Lost and threw yourself at the horde until you inevitably lost control or died. It was tragic... but with the Spider, it kind of loses something when it's no longer a personal story. If an entire clan's worth of people can get a handle on the whole thing, it doesn't seem terribly insurmountable or tragic.

Dark Paragon is a monk based advanced class that gets to remove taint points from themselves for awesome powerful effects. Jade petal tea isn't controlled by the crap, it's controlled by the brotherhood of Shinsei. The monks know about it, brew it, and sell it. There have always been ways in the game to control the tain, the Spider Clan is just an insidious power hungry clan that's willing to risk it's people going insane from taint in exchange for the power to possibly rule. The entire spider clan is gambling - the tainted ones with their souls and the untainted ones with their lives - that Jingoku can be controlled by strong willed mortals. They might fail someday, and turn into a bloodthirsty ravening horde, and the Empress was willing to make that gamble to fight the Ivory Kingdoms. Their rise and abilities all fit established lore.

On the other hand, nothing says you can't play the taint like an inevitability, but that's never been what it's about. It's about trying to use your honor to stay ahead of the darkness within. It's another balance factor, and a Samurai has to know when he's too much of a threat to himself and others to continue. It's still a tragedy to have the taint, it's still just a matter of time before honor dictates death, but now there's a whole clan of people trying to fight through it. They've embraced a way of thinking that justifies their existence, of living with the taint until it's too much for a man to bear and soldiering on as a samurai instead of shaving your head and joining the priesthood to drink jade petal tea away from the masses, and I don't see any real problem with it setting wise. If you don't like the tone of the spider clan, power hungry ego-maniacs willing to risk damnation for power, then don't use them. Replace them with tainted crab in a border outpost, relegate them to minor clan status, make them NPC only, whatever... but recognize that they do have a place in the game, and they do fit the lore of the Shadowlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

Order of the Spider Monks get bonuses from Taint, like the Daigotsu Bushi.

And the monks can take the Dark Paragon advanced class and actually SPEND taint.

• Locked thread