Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I thought it might be nice to have a central travel thread (I didn't see one) for either asking where some decent places to shoot were in different cities or for offering a few ideas of what your city has to offer. I know most of the fun is finding things for yourself, but we're not always afforded that luxury.

As for me, I'm headed to Phoenix to visit my ex and another friend in a couple of weeks. I have Thursday and Friday to myself (ex has to work) and then I'm trying to convince her to find someplace go hiking some where near by on Saturday if the weather is nice.

I have no knowledge of the Phoenix area aside from driving down I-17/10 through there at 1am on my way to San Diego. We wanted to go then to the Petrified Forest but this was 2002 during the massive wildfires that made it impossible to breath.

This time, it's probably a bit out of our range for a day trip.

That aside, I'm not 100% sure on the area of town in which she lives, but I hope to borrow her car at least one of those days to go exploring or I'll have my other friend drive me around.

Any suggestions?

-----

To give something to contribute:

I live in Pittsburgh. One of the closest landmarks is Frank Lloyd Wright's Falling Water that my friends and I take a nearly annual trip. This year will be the first year I have something better than a point-and-shoot.

I was recently reminded by Anti_Social about some Urbex at the Carrie Furnace in the South Braddock area near the Rankin Bridge. It's possible it will either be torn down or made a Historical Landmark in the future so not sure for what time it will have easy access to explore. http://www.flickr.com/groups/793735@N23/

Speaking of Historical Landmarks - there are many and many are kept it very good condition. http://www.phlf.org/

In the North Side: Our Stadiums, a WWII submarine (near Heinz field at Carnegie Science Center). Also in the North Side is our National Aviary

There of course is Downtown and many of our bridges. Our skyline has unfortunately been marred in recent years with corporate dick-waving. This culminated with UPMC branding the monolithic US Steel Tower. But, I still find it to be one of the nicest skylines in the country (yes, being a complete homer here). Mt. Washington is the "cliche" place to take skyline view and there are many. There are also sculptures and art throughout the city. Also human sized dinosaurs (often found in a state of dress depending on the occasion - these also aren't limited to downtown.)

Oakland is a great place as well - lots of older architecture that would remind people of Greco-roman meets gothic (The Cathedral of Learning). Oakland is also home to the Carnegie Natural History Museum, Carnegie Museum of Art and Phipps Conservatory (green house)

There's the Strip District on the weekends for some farmer's market-type shopping madness, which is good for some interesting street photography. When you get closer to the river there are some old train tracks and remnants of an older Pittsburgh.

The older cemetery's are also impressive. My favorites are Allegheny where a group of deer can be seen all over the cemetery when you get closer to dusk. They don't take off at first sight until you get to close and probably sooner if they have fawns with them. Also Uniondale in the North Side which can turn out some creepy pictures in the fog with the city in the background.

Churches can be found everywhere in the city, Downtown, Oakland, Shadyside, East Liberty. Heinz Chapel (adjacent to the Cathedral of Learning) is one of the more famous places for weddings for Pitt Alumni (and people who work for Heinz)

Finishing off with two of my favorites:

Point State Park - the best part is closed off: the actual Fountain at the Point - they're reworking the plumbing and making it better - reopening in 2011, I think - I hope.

Observatory Hill is also one of my favorite parks to go as well. The journey up and down the road offers some unique views (again of the city) and if you're into astronomy there's Allegheny Observatory and you can sign up for a tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is a neat thread idea and I support it.

Toledo, Ohio

Um.....

Well...

Uh....... poo poo. :saddowns:

Joking aside we do actually have a few nice places around here. The Botanical Gardens are pretty nice, there are orchards and you-pick apple and pumpkin fields everywhere in the fall that are cool to swing by, the Toledo Museum of Art is absolutely gorgeous and is pretty cool about non-flash photography in most of the exhibits, the Toledo Zoo is one of the best around, and you're maybe half an hour to 45 minutes to a lot of stuff along Lake Erie.

There are a lot of classic 'downtown' smaller towns around the area too that are pretty neat. Maumee, Perrysburg, Fremont, and Sandusky all have some very cool old school 1950s feel to them in areas.

And hey, if you want to go get shot, we're only 45 minutes from Detroit! :toot:

EDIT: I should add:

Culver, Indiana

Home to the absolutely gorgeous Culver Military Academy and Culver Girls Academy, and sitting on a really nice lake. If you're passing down through Indiana it's really worth a stop. Basically sits about 45 minutes south of South Bend, right off Route 31.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 29, 2010

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

I'm going to Lima, Peru next week. It's for business, so I may not get to shoot that much, but tips are appreciated especially since time is limiting. Also I'd like to know if it might be smart to just bring a small, old, unattractive, inexpensive film SLR instead of the EOS+24-105mm combo. I might have to settle to bring something small anyway, since I have to survive a week with only carry-on baggage. On my way back to Euroland, I'm also stopping for one night in Santiago, Chile and I know I'll have some time off there.

drat that's a lot of flying :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I should add from a tourist's perspective that Boston, MA is very easy to walk around, especially along the wharf and towards the really old side of town where you see like Patrick Henry's house or whatever. Little Italy is nearby too.

Also go have dinner at the Union Oyster House because holy poo poo does that own bones.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I will be in Los Angeles this January for a few days. Anywhere I should seek out if I get some time?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I'm no expert on Phoenix but I did stay there and have a couple ideas for you.

Popago Park is kinda downtownish, offers hiking, sightseeing, and an overlook of the zoo-I had never seen a giraffe before. Don't miss the "Hole in the Rock"

A bit out of town is the Apache Trail, well worth the trip for some desert vistas. I only had the rental car for one day and I didn't get to drive the whole road. It would be fantastic on a bike-but a car wasn't bad for as far as I got.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

DJExile posted:

I will be in Los Angeles this January for a few days. Anywhere I should seek out if I get some time?

I hear the Griffith Observatory is nice to photograph. Personally I haven't photographed there yet but it seems to be popular among LA photographers.

OJ.SImpson
Jan 20, 2001

taste posted:

I hear the Griffith Observatory is nice to photograph. Personally I haven't photographed there yet but it seems to be popular among LA photographers.

Yup, that is the place to go, also Venice Beach,
and : http://www.getty.edu/visit/
and if you can make a bit of a drive: http://www.huntington.org/huntingtonlibrary.aspx?id=210&linkidentifier=id&itemid=210

Downtown is not very scenic unless your are shooting into it from the observatory.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

OJ.SImpson posted:

Yup, that is the place to go, also Venice Beach,

pretty overdone but yeah, it's a nice place to go.

again, see above. Same goes for the observatory & griffith park in general. Another iconic place by venice is santa monica pier which is also photog fodder.

quote:

Downtown is not very scenic unless your are shooting into it from the observatory.

If you love street shooting, there's plenty of great places here actually. I've gone a good few times.

Going to other parks by the mountains (just go to google maps and look for green) give nice views, provide nice hikes, and are nice places to shoot.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 2, 2010

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I'm looking for a place in Orange County where I can go to play with my 35mm 1.8. I assume the beaches are going to be empty, should I just go to LA and do some street photography?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

downtown toy district is good - around 11th street as well (drive around till you see a good several square blocks of stores and outdoor malls). i went earlier in the year with a few goons

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
On of my favorites is Cincinnati, or more accurately the Covington/Newport, KY area. Old row houses/neighborhoods, Germantown, 2 big old churches and a bunch of smaller ones, and Americas first suspension bridge round out what you can walk to in this area. Really cool shoots of the Cinci skyline are possible as well.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Road trip! Colorado to kansas to jonesboro, arkansas to graceland to hunstville alabama to gainesville (?) florida to Gary, indiana to madison, wisconsin to Minnesota. Basically covering everything but the Southwest and the coasts. Any interesting diversions? I'll be shooting film the whole time, so I'm looking for bang-for-buck type locations. The drive from Florida to Indiana won't be on a tight schedule, and my route is flexible within limits (need to hit Florida by Christmas, so I can't dilly-dally too much on the way there, but going North I'm mainly just constrained by my vehicle, which gets 15mpg).

Particularly interested in locations in Kansas, because that will be the most monotonous part of the journey. I'm bringing about 80lbs of Nat Geos with me for inspiration, and will hopefully post a thread if I make it to the end alive and with enough money for developing all those rolls.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

Culver, Indiana

Home to the absolutely gorgeous Culver Military Academy and Culver Girls Academy, and sitting on a really nice lake. If you're passing down through Indiana it's really worth a stop. Basically sits about 45 minutes south of South Bend, right off Route 31.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Thanks to a really good deal in Coupons, I booked a trip to NYC from Monday to Friday on the spur of the moment. This will be my first time.

Though I will be carrying a camera on me the whole time I'm there, I'm looking to do more "photography related" things other than just go shooting (though I'll take some suggestions on where to shoot too). For example I plan to go to the Museum of Modern Art, B&H Photo, check out The Lomography store, etc... Other than catching a Broadway show or two, I don't have much preplanned so I'd love to hear some suggestions.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Dongsmith posted:

Road trip! Colorado to kansas to jonesboro, arkansas to graceland to hunstville alabama to gainesville (?) florida to Gary, indiana to madison, wisconsin to Minnesota. Basically covering everything but the Southwest and the coasts. Any interesting diversions? I'll be shooting film the whole time, so I'm looking for bang-for-buck type locations. The drive from Florida to Indiana won't be on a tight schedule, and my route is flexible within limits (need to hit Florida by Christmas, so I can't dilly-dally too much on the way there, but going North I'm mainly just constrained by my vehicle, which gets 15mpg).

Particularly interested in locations in Kansas, because that will be the most monotonous part of the journey. I'm bringing about 80lbs of Nat Geos with me for inspiration, and will hopefully post a thread if I make it to the end alive and with enough money for developing all those rolls.

I've been in a few of those areas. I don't have any specific recommendations, but I remember the Ozark Mountains in northern Arkansas were absolutely beautiful. The Appalachian Mountains in Southwest Virginia are also absolutely beautiful and there's lots of little hollows and whatnot if you get off the main highways.

It looks like work will be sending me to Overland Park (Suburb of Kansas City), Kansas and Malvern (Suburb of Philadelphia), Pennsylvania in the next month or so. I typically shoot mostly landscapes and "rural decay" photos for lack of a better term. Any ideas?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thanks all for the LA suggestions. I'll be there 1/20 through 1/24 so if there's any events or things to check out if I have the chance, let me know.

Manny Calavera
Apr 2, 2004

From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea
I'm going to Berlin on Friday. Any suggestions from those who know it well?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I would appreciate some location tips on places worth visiting around Vancouver, Canada. Not vancouver itself since I have been living here for 3 years and shot a pic in every street, but the surrounding area (driving distance).

Thanks!

tron-
Jun 8, 2007

Manny Calavera posted:

I'm going to Berlin on Friday. Any suggestions from those who know it well?

Teufelsberg

It's been snowing in Berlin lately and, so it's rather picturesque. There are tons of Christmas markets everywhere and there's always something interesting to shoot at those. Big wood-fired ovens, warm coats hanging above small radiators...

Go down to Kreuzberg near the Landwehrkanal. Farmers markets are always good too. There's a big Turkish one on Maybachufer in Kreuzberg, and a fancy one at Kollwitzplatz in Prenzlauer Berg.

Many of the usual tourist attractions are great - the Reichstag (try to get there around opening time to beat huge lines) and Brandenburg Gate are within walking distance, and those are in the big Tiergarten. I didn't find Checkpoint Charlie very interesting.

Up in Prenzlauer Berg on Bernauer Strasse there's a new Berlin wall memorial / park...

What do you like shooting ? There's a lot of regal, majestic old Jugend style architecture on the West side, and tons of grim Bloc architecture in the East...and lots and lots of abandoned spaces, if you like shooting those.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

keyframe posted:

I would appreciate some location tips on places worth visiting around Vancouver, Canada. Not vancouver itself since I have been living here for 3 years and shot a pic in every street, but the surrounding area (driving distance).

Thanks!

Just drive and shoot anything because holy poo poo that entire area is beautiful.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

keyframe posted:

Thanks!

I don't live there but do visit a few times a year, including this weekend so I am also looking for ideas!

-The north shore has some great locations
-stanley park/aquarium
- I am hoping to go check out 3000-5000 bald eagles out near Harrison on monday http://fraservalleybaldeaglefestival.ca/

wh1te
Jun 7, 2004

I will be in Vegas for the first time starting January 2nd. I know it is one big photo opportunity however, is there anything that is a must see that might be off the beaten path.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Haggins posted:

Thanks to a really good deal in Coupons, I booked a trip to NYC from Monday to Friday on the spur of the moment. This will be my first time.

Though I will be carrying a camera on me the whole time I'm there, I'm looking to do more "photography related" things other than just go shooting (though I'll take some suggestions on where to shoot too). For example I plan to go to the Museum of Modern Art, B&H Photo, check out The Lomography store, etc... Other than catching a Broadway show or two, I don't have much preplanned so I'd love to hear some suggestions.

DUMBO (not the waterfront area, DUMBO proper, take the F train to York av and walk towards the water/bridge) is really picturesque, and a not-terribly-often seen view of NYC for tourists. You can even take the Brooklyn Bridge over but it's too cold for that now, probably.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Dread Head posted:

I don't live there but do visit a few times a year, including this weekend so I am also looking for ideas!

-The north shore has some great locations
-stanley park/aquarium
- I am hoping to go check out 3000-5000 bald eagles out near Harrison on monday http://fraservalleybaldeaglefestival.ca/

If you havent visited already there is a buddhist temple located in Richmond that is pretty awesome.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

keyframe posted:

Thanks!

If you haven't done Stanley Park I'd do that. I rented a bicycle (w/ a trailer because I was shooting large format) which wound up costing more than a car, but whatever, worth it.

Sea-to-Sky Highway is another obvious choice.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If you haven't done Stanley Park I'd do that. I rented a bicycle (w/ a trailer because I was shooting large format) which wound up costing more than a car, but whatever, worth it.

Sea-to-Sky Highway is another obvious choice.

I live in downtown Vancouver literally steps away from stanley park so I have taken a ton of pictures here. It is the surrounding areas I am curious about. I heard there is a abandoned mine turned into a museum to the north, like an hour from Van. Planning on checking that out next week.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
A heads up to the post apocalyptic fans here. Chernobyl is opening for tourists next year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/13/chernobyl-tourism-2011_n_795688.html

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

keyframe posted:

A heads up to the post apocalyptic fans here. Chernobyl is opening for tourists next year.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/13/chernobyl-tourism-2011_n_795688.html

There's a really chilling photo documentary out there, I believe called "orphans of Chernobyl". Let me find it...

EDIT: here we go, Chernobyl Legacy. :smith:

OOPRCT
Jun 19, 2004
I'm going to Zion National Park, are there any particular scenic hikes that are recommended?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

keyframe posted:

I live in downtown Vancouver literally steps away from stanley park so I have taken a ton of pictures here. It is the surrounding areas I am curious about. I heard there is a abandoned mine turned into a museum to the north, like an hour from Van. Planning on checking that out next week.

You're probably thinking about the Britannia mine museum. It used to be one of the largest copper mines in the British Empire. It has been a museum for years, but they just finished a rennovation of the museum a month or two ago. The thing is that it's off-season now so you should check the museum's schedule to see what's happening there. It's actually closer to Vancouver, more like half an hour if traffic is good.

Aircraft
Nov 2, 2007

I'm making a drive through downtown Los Angeles back to campus in a week - does anyone know a high place in Los Angeles that has a balcony overlooking one of the major freeways that's open to the public at night and preferably isn't a federal building where they'll interpret my tripod strapped across my back as a weapon?

And if anyone has similar tips for airports like LAX, I'd appreciate it greatly. I know the theme 'city lights' have been overdone, but I have a feeling it's just something you have to do yourself in order to nail down the proper exposure.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I'm going to Pennsylvania over the holidays to visit family. Specifically, around Philadelphia, Reading and Lancaster. I'm looking to find run-down, out-of-the-way locations for a couple of model shoots I'm trying to arrange. I'd also be down to meet up with any local dorkroomers for whatever photo-related fun. If anyone wants their picture taken, let me know. I'm always up for that, too. :)

My Flickr Page! :nws:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

McMadCow posted:

I'm going to Pennsylvania over the holidays to visit family. Specifically, around Philadelphia, Reading and Lancaster. I'm looking to find run-down, out-of-the-way locations for a couple of model shoots I'm trying to arrange. I'd also be down to meet up with any local dorkroomers for whatever photo-related fun. If anyone wants their picture taken, let me know. I'm always up for that, too. :)

~50 miles north of Reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

Abandoned mine town that has had an underground mine fire burning since the early 60s.

Don't fall into any sinkholes.

Edit: http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/photos1.htm

geeves fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 23, 2010

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to San Diego on Friday and am having trouble deciding between the Zoo and the Wild Animal Park. I'll be bringing a 35mm 1.8 and my 18-55 kit lens since I don't have a telephoto. Do the safari's at the Wild Animal Park get you close enough for 55mm to be enough? I'm also going to Sea World and Petco Park. Any other places I should check out?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

taste posted:

Do the safari's at the Wild Animal Park get you close enough for 55mm to be enough?

San Diego Safari Park :eng101:

The ones that do will cost you a pretty penny. I'd go with the Zoo.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

geeves posted:

~50 miles north of Reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

Abandoned mine town that has had an underground mine fire burning since the early 60s.

Don't fall into any sinkholes.

Edit: http://www.offroaders.com/album/centralia/photos1.htm

I actually grew up in Reading and I've been to Centralia a few times. I was talking to a model in Pottsville... may have to make the journey up there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Brief trip report RE: Los Angeles.

I've been in plenty of big cities but it's amazing how spread out LA is. I know Culver City and some other areas are right next to them but wow it seems to go on forever.

Griffith Observatory: Gorgeous inside and out. Fantastic view of the city. Hell of a hike to get up there though.

Venice Beach: HIPPIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS Great views though and quite a few unique characters out there. Muscle Beach is a sad shell of its former self. Then again I hadn't heard about it since the 90s so maybe that explains it.

Hollywood is... pretty janky. Not really what I expected at all. There is NOBODY around until the sun sets. Christ, we had the Chinese and Kodak theaters to ourselves on a Friday afternoon. Both of them are very neat BTW.

Rodeo Drive. :signings::signings::signings::signings:

Malibu, Santa Monica Pier & Pepperdine University. Good god is this whole area beautiful. Sunsets on that huge-rear end pier are unbelievable. Duke's is a drat good restaurant.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
If anybody's coming to Richmond, Virginia in the near future, we're about to receive (over the next few months, through most of the summer) our annual influx of great blue herons on the James River. In the last few years there have been dozens of herons nesting right downtown, and if you take a walk down Pipeline Trail (I've lived here 25 years and only learned about it last year) during the busy season you will be almost literally bumping into herons. No need for 500mm lenses, you can get good shots with anything over 100mm. There are so many, and they're so freakin' big, that when you look up and see five of them gliding over the river it feels like you're in the damned dinosaur age.

Map to Pipeline Trail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Rixatrix posted:

I'm also stopping for one night in Santiago, Chile and I know I'll have some time off there.

drat that's a lot of flying :(

Cerro San Christobal, especially around sunset. A bar called La Piojera (try a drink called a Terremoto). A craft market build in an old church yard (the Pueblito Los Dominicos), and the Barrio Bellevista, an attractive neighbourhood near the base of Cerro San Christobal where Neruda grew up - some neat graffiti, and some nice neighbourhoods around there. And the Plaza De Armas. Sorry if I got some of the names wrong - it has been a couple of years since I was there. There's also a very attractive park near the mall in Las Condes with couple of bird enclosures that would be good for some street-type photography.

I'm off to Kenya and Tanzania soon, mostly on safari-type adventures: if anyone has tips or specific recommendations for Serengeti adventures, that'd be sweet!

• Locked thread