Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tron Paul
Dec 5, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

DUMBO (not the waterfront area, DUMBO proper, take the F train to York av and walk towards the water/bridge) is really picturesque, and a not-terribly-often seen view of NYC for tourists. You can even take the Brooklyn Bridge over but it's too cold for that now, probably.

In a similar vein, Greenpoint has a similar waterfront vibe, albeit with no bridges. The docks are surrounded by old, lovely warehouses, as well as modern hipster coffee shops and record stores. It's been the subject of a lot of (hollywood) film shoots and music videos in the past couple years.

It's also a bit annoying to get to, but not as bad as DUMBO depending where you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

Anyone know of any good place in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

Anyone know of any good place in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan?

Mackinac Island is a given in that area, and the locks along the Soo are kinda neat to see when ships pass through.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Going to Tokyo and Kyoto in late March. Anything in particular I should be on the look out for aside from EVERYTHING?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

psylent posted:

Going to Tokyo and Kyoto in late March. Anything in particular I should be on the look out for aside from EVERYTHING?

I know a cool building in Shinjuku you can sneak into to shoot the cityscape from above, also of course the red-light/game district of Shinjuku. There's also tons of cool stuff to shoot in the parks and recreation areas.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Why don't you shoot me a mail, unless of course you have other plans and/or are busy? hello at manuelvandyck dot com

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Going to Warsaw, Poland tomorrow. Last time I was there I spent all my time in the city, so I'm really interested in places outside of the city. I'm going to be working there so I can only go on weekends.

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt
I'm planning a trip to Switzerland in May. I'll be going with my photography buddy so it will be photo-oriented (though he needs to visit some people in Zurich). Probably 7-10 days. We're both relatively lazy/out of shape so hardcore hiking is out, though we'll be fine with wandering around a city for hours or cheating and taking ski lifts. What do we need to see? Which cities should we visit (I'm guessing Zurich, Montreux with daytrip to Chateau de Chillon, and Geneva)?

e: having done a bit more research, I'm amending potential itinerary to Zurich (city stuff), Zermatt (mountain stuff), and Montreux (Chillon and Swiss Riviera), but still looking for input.

anabatica fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 16, 2011

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

VomitOnLino posted:

I know a cool building in Shinjuku you can sneak into to shoot the cityscape from above, also of course the red-light/game district of Shinjuku. There's also tons of cool stuff to shoot in the parks and recreation areas.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Why don't you shoot me a mail, unless of course you have other plans and/or are busy? hello at manuelvandyck dot com
Will do :)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Los Angeles and San Francisco; are there any ways to get anything but the standard views on all the tourist-y things, like the Hollywood sign or Golden Gate Bridge? Or anything that is glossed over by most people that could be interesting?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

Los Angeles and San Francisco; are there any ways to get anything but the standard views on all the tourist-y things, like the Hollywood sign or Golden Gate Bridge? Or anything that is glossed over by most people that could be interesting?

The hollywood sign is pretty protected and there's no real good way to get near it. Walking up the hillside to Griffith Observatory gives you some good looks though.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
From a photography and street photography point of view, should I go to Shanghai in April or Bangkok ?

AlienApeBoy
Jul 11, 2005
Ape

geeves posted:

[Lots of great Pittsburgh Info]

Fellow Pittsburgh goon/Pitt alum here. I'll echo most of Geeves' sentiments (especially the pity of the corporate-logo whoring on our skyline).

To his Oakland locations, I'll add the Frick Fine Arts Building (near the Carnegie library). It's fountain out front and Italian art reproductions inside made great backdrops for our wedding photographer).

As an alternative to the standby of Mt. Washington, "Allegheny Landing" on the North Shore has alternate skyline views from a lower altitude (my friend's wedding photographer used this location to great effect too).

Finally, I'll echo Phipps Conservatory for great shots (lots of potential for macro floral shots). While, alas a temporary exhibit, they had the glass art of Dale Chihuly there in 2007, where I had much fun with my camera. While all but his chandelier is gone, they continue to have rotating exhibits, so check if something interesting might be there if you're in town). One I especially liked from SD870:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Miike posted:

From a photography and street photography point of view, should I go to Shanghai in April or Bangkok ?
Well, I've never been to Shanghai but Thailand >> China. Bangkok is a fun city too. I've never seen more people with SLRs than in Bangkok (even more than Hong Kong) so you won't stick out if you're worried about that.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Miike posted:

Bangkok will be hot as balls but it will also be Songkran (Thai New Years). Basically the whole country gets turned into a free-fire water battlezone for the whole week.

These were taken on Soi Cowboy (hookers lol), Khao San also gets a lot of action but actually can get pretty packed and hard to move. At night we went to RCA (midrange club area) and the crowds were pretty massive, also a foam party.

It's kind of like Mardi Gras/Carnival in that a lot of social norms get thrown out the window (and a lot of people are shithammered), so it's absolutely awesome for street photography, but you need something waterproof. I put my EF 50mm f/1.8 on an old EOS film SLR, and made a splashproof housing out of a ziploc bag, gaffer's tape, and a UV filter. I wouldn't have been horrified at losing either the camera or the lens, but as it turned out my DIY thing lasted all week with nary a drop inside. You could pick up a readymade solution like a West Marine bag if you want something more trustworthy for a DSLR.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Those are really awesome, looks like alot of fun. I hope I'll still be here for it in mid April. Speaking of film in Bangkok, do you have a favorite developing/scanning place? Preferably close to the BTS/MRT. I've fallen in love with the XA and I'll be needing somewhere to get it all developed (so I can share more).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spf3million posted:

Those are really awesome, looks like alot of fun. I hope I'll still be here for it in mid April. Speaking of film in Bangkok, do you have a favorite developing/scanning place? Preferably close to the BTS/MRT. I've fallen in love with the XA and I'll be needing somewhere to get it all developed (so I can share more).

IQ Lab is awesome, they've got three offices in Bangkok, all within walking distance of the BTS/MRT. Not the cheapest (especially the medium format scans), but very professional and the quality of the work was always good.

Be careful with regular minilabs, I had one lose 7 rolls of film I gave them to scan and they just shrugged and said "whoops, sorry".

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pompous Rhombus posted:

IQ Lab is awesome, they've got three offices in Bangkok, all within walking distance of the BTS/MRT. Not the cheapest (especially the medium format scans), but very professional and the quality of the work was always good.

Be careful with regular minilabs, I had one lose 7 rolls of film I gave them to scan and they just shrugged and said "whoops, sorry".
Fantastic, thanks. Sucks about those 7 rolls. I neglected to tell a CVS that one of my rolls was B&W and they developed it as C41 once. I was kinda pissed about that.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Hawaii! So I just found out that I am going to Hawaii for work. I won't have that much time, though maybe I can go a day or two early. I know there are probably a billion great places to shoot in Hawaii, but I am limited on time and I'd rather not rent a car. I will be flying into Honolulu and I could maybe stay on that island for a day and then I have to head to the big island, ultimately to Waimea.

Any ideas on accessible stuff in those areas? Or farther but easy to get to things? I imagine the public transportation isn't great.

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
Going to Boise in a week or so for my spring break, but really anywhere in Idaho is fair game at this point. Looking for activities and places to shoot. I am going to be with people who aren't "photo-heavy" so these places should be fun for everyone. Thanks a bunch in advanced.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Any suggestions for Pinehurst, NC? It's famous for it's golf course, so I figure there have to be good places to shoot :)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 7, 2011

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Kiri koli posted:

Hawaii!

I was really young when I went, but I remember there being a really, REALLY weird beach in Honolulu, and it turned out to be a gay beach. There were all kinds of wacky fabulous weird people that would be interesting to shoot (not because they were gay, but the poo poo they wore, their hair styles, it was all crazy as gently caress, as I remember anyway). Other than that, make it to a Jungle or Volcano, it shouldn't be toooo hard I'd imagine.

I'm going to the west coast for an 8 day trip soon, and this thread has perfect timing!

I'll be flying into Los Angeles for business for a day, then we're road tripping to San Francisco for a few days vacation, then flying into Portland, Oregon for a few more days, then home to boring Cincinnati, Ohio.

Anything I should definitely hit up? And please don't say hollywood.

I wanna stay on the west coast otherwise I'd probably stop by Tahoe, We're gonna do the beach thing I imagine, and probably something in wine country, definitely tons of hippie poo poo in San Fran, then I don't know what in Portland.

RizieN fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 7, 2011

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Los Angeles: Getty Museum. It's beautiful in and of itself, but also gives great views of the city proper. Santa Monica / Venice is great for beach & streetwalking type shots.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I never got to get to the Getty when I went but got a ton of recommendations. Griffith Observatory is really nice as well but it's a pretty good hike up there if you go on foot.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
London

I'm assuming you don't need tips about the normal tourist traps so here's some stuff that might not be in the guidebooks.

South Bank / South Bank Centre
Brutalist architecture and a cool impromptu skate park / graffiti den.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikekingphoto/3207275130/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simon-crubellier/169232796/

Brick Lane
Comes alive at night. Fashionable types and lots of curry houses.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blech/1391329121/

Tate Modern Turbine Hall
Yeah the outside is impressive but the inside is really impressive
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danpea/252290778/

Leadenhall Market
Ye olde(ish) London market
http://www.flickr.com/photos/david-bank/5069407478/

Elephant and Castle / Heygate Estate
Roll up roll up to the great 70s failed experiment in social housing before it's demolished. Think Mega City One.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/benpatio/4456980942/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybertect/4112468407/

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 7, 2011

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

RizieN posted:

I'll be flying into Los Angeles for business for a day, then we're road tripping to San Francisco for a few days vacation, then flying into Portland, Oregon for a few more days, then home to boring Cincinnati, Ohio.

Anything I should definitely hit up? And please don't say hollywood.

I wanna stay on the west coast otherwise I'd probably stop by Tahoe, We're gonna do the beach thing I imagine, and probably something in wine country, definitely tons of hippie poo poo in San Fran, then I don't know what in Portland.
If you have the time drive up hw 1 rather than the other routes. It's slower but it's an incredible drive. If you can break it up over two days it's even better. Then you can stop off at Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Hearst Castle, visit random beaches, or take a detour through some random mountain road. Also don't count out Tahoe. Northstar is only 3 hours from San Francisco (as long as there isn't traffic) and the weather this time of year is amazing.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
We changed plans last minute, gonna fly into San Francisco, so I guess I'll rent a car there and head out to Tahoe, then napa valley another day. Gonna have 4 days in San Francisco, and 4 days in Portland (well 3 full days, one of those days is travel).

Then a few weeks later I'll have the business trip to LA for a 4 day weekend.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You're not missing a lot by skipping Hollywood, honestly. From what I saw of it, it's pretty janky. I will grant that the Kodak and Chinese theater are very nice, but that's about it over there.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does anyone know any urbex locations around vancouver bc?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I'm going to be in Boston this weekend for PAX, any other Dorkroomers going? What's good in Boston to shoot?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I'm going to be in Boston this weekend for PAX, any other Dorkroomers going? What's good in Boston to shoot?

Little Italy and the area around Patrick Henry's house are really nice.

E: If you have the chance, Mike's Pastry is a kickass bakery, and the Union Oyster House and Anthony's Pier 4 are phenomenal restaurants.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 10, 2011

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I'm going to be in Mississauga, Ontario (suburb of Toronto) next week for work. No idea how much free time I'll have but I'm interested in hearing any ideas anyone might have. I enjoy shooting nature and landscapes so I'd lean towards heading away from town rather than deal with what I'm assuming would be a headache of going into the city.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm going to be in Mississauga, Ontario (suburb of Toronto) next week for work. No idea how much free time I'll have but I'm interested in hearing any ideas anyone might have. I enjoy shooting nature and landscapes so I'd lean towards heading away from town rather than deal with what I'm assuming would be a headache of going into the city.

Good God why Mississauga! ;)

If you'd like to do some good ol' nature photography and have access to a car your best bet would be to head out to the Milton area and hit up the farm country around there and the Niagara Escarpment. It's basically the shore of an ancient lake and can be pretty breathtaking in the right spots.

Of course now it might be more depressing than anything because there's no leaves but everything's kind of like that during winter. If you feel like a real hiking warrior though there's tons of nature preserve area pretty much skirting all around Mississauga called the Ontario Greenbelt.

Moist von Lipwig fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 10, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm going to Washington DC for about 5 days on business, but should have at least a little free time. What should I look for aside from all the monuments?

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

DJExile posted:

I'm going to Washington DC for about 5 days on business, but should have at least a little free time. What should I look for aside from all the monuments?

If you're going this month or early April, you'll be in time for the cherry blossoms, which are gorgeous. My favorite spot was around the Tidal Basin. There will be a billion other photographers out, but it's still worth it. And actually, I was kind of amused watching people with thousands of dollars worth of equipment trying to get the same shot as someone with a cell phone.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kiri koli posted:

If you're going this month or early April, you'll be in time for the cherry blossoms, which are gorgeous. My favorite spot was around the Tidal Basin. There will be a billion other photographers out, but it's still worth it. And actually, I was kind of amused watching people with thousands of dollars worth of equipment trying to get the same shot as someone with a cell phone.

I'm gonna be in town right at the end of March so it should be perfectly timed. :toot:

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
oh wait, wrong chat window
I'm from Portland, but I need a landscape for a backdrop pretty badly! Open wide meadows, overgrown and wild preferable. Looking towards Marylhurst maybe?

Big Floppy
Apr 30, 2006

porcellus posted:

I'm from Portland, but I need a landscape for a backdrop pretty badly! Open wide meadows, overgrown and wild preferable. Looking towards Marylhurst maybe?
Multnomah falls and Columbia River Gorge are both great. You can take Hwy84 east out of Portland to Hwy30 and that will be your scenic route around to see more waterfalls and great landscape. You might want to stop at widow's point on the way and Crown point that overlooks the gorge as well. Some of the waterfalls have trails down to them. Is this something you are looking for?

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I too am going to Washington DC but in Mid-April so I think I'll probably miss the cherry blossoms. I'm into urban landscapes if that helps so really any places with interesting buildings is right up my alley.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

taste posted:

I too am going to Washington DC but in Mid-April so I think I'll probably miss the cherry blossoms. I'm into urban landscapes if that helps so really any places with interesting buildings is right up my alley.

I had a conference for work once at the Gaylord National, which has this goddamned enormous 18 story glass atrium in it. So there's that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

psylent posted:

I am no longer going to Japan :(

Hooray for a long weekend at yet another beachside Australian town instead. :smith:

• Locked thread