Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

psylent posted:

I am no longer going to Japan :(

Hooray for a long weekend at yet another beachside Australian town instead. :smith:

In all fairness there are a lot worse places to spend a long weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I would be very depressed though, I've always wanted to go to Tokyo, and not for the animes. I think I romanticize that city more than most girls do NYC.

You should try and go to India or something though man, if you're not hip to staying at an Australian beach town.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

RizieN posted:

You should try and go to Thailand or South Korea or something though man, if you're not hip to staying at an Australian beach town.
I fixed that for you. If you were hoping to go to a place like Japan, India is not an appropriate alternative.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I was going to suggest some south asian places, but I'm not up to speed on any of their current statuses as far as safety or anything. My first thought was Cambodia, which is close to Australia and maybe Thailand if not Cambodia. I mainly suggested India because a friend just returned from there and it sounds pretty bad rear end.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

DJExile posted:

I'm going to Washington DC for about 5 days on business, but should have at least a little free time. What should I look for aside from all the monuments?

I liked the nightlife in DC, Dupont and Chinatown. The metro makes getting around really convenient. There's ton of street shooting and interesting architecture.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I liked the nightlife in DC, Dupont and Chinatown. The metro makes getting around really convenient. There's ton of street shooting and interesting architecture.

Kickass, thanks :)

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

psylent posted:

I am no longer going to Japan :(

Hooray for a long weekend at yet another beachside Australian town instead. :smith:

Did you have insurance or if you were flying qantas they are giving refunds I think.

I thought it wouldn't be too bad in places like Tokyo but its looking worse and worse now. Ive got a friend in tokyo whos going to fly back to Sydney for a couple of months.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

RizieN posted:

I was going to suggest some south asian places, but I'm not up to speed on any of their current statuses as far as safety or anything. My first thought was Cambodia, which is close to Australia and maybe Thailand if not Cambodia. I mainly suggested India because a friend just returned from there and it sounds pretty bad rear end.

Cambodia is fantastic but much too hot at this time of year. If you want to take some great photos and have an amazing experience, Vietnam is great. If you want a holiday that is a little less challenging, Thailand is a nice bet.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Fists Up posted:

Did you have insurance or if you were flying qantas they are giving refunds I think.

I thought it wouldn't be too bad in places like Tokyo but its looking worse and worse now. Ive got a friend in tokyo whos going to fly back to Sydney for a couple of months.
Jetstar - we got a credit for the flight which we used to pay for a flight for my wife to join me in Hawaii at a wedding I'm shooting there in January next year. So that worked out OK all things considered. We just needed something a bit chilled out and relaxing.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
oh wait, wrong chat window

Big Floppy posted:

Multnomah falls and Columbia River Gorge are both great. You can take Hwy84 east out of Portland to Hwy30 and that will be your scenic route around to see more waterfalls and great landscape. You might want to stop at widow's point on the way and Crown point that overlooks the gorge as well. Some of the waterfalls have trails down to them. Is this something you are looking for?

I have been looking at Crown point and areas around the gorge, but it appeared to be dramatic! A friend reccomended the Smith and Bybee wildlife refuge though, biggest wetlands in city limit.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Good God why Mississauga! ;)

I was hoping Mississauga wasn't going to be one big office park but sure enough.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'm driving from Midland, Tx to Dallas today and wondered if any folks had some "shoot this thing/place" suggestions.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
1 hour and 30 minutes until we land in San Fran. I plan on hitting all the norms, but any last minute suggestions for some cool poo poo off the beaten path? I'll also be doing 2 days in Calistoga with a car, so Napa and Sonoma will be accessible (and thoroughly enjoyed).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

psylent posted:

Jetstar - we got a credit for the flight which we used to pay for a flight for my wife to join me in Hawaii at a wedding I'm shooting there in January next year. So that worked out OK all things considered. We just needed something a bit chilled out and relaxing.

I was gonna suggest Bangkok, but it's not that chill. Depending on how much time you have and what your interests are, I'd be happy to recommend a place in Southeast Asia.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Stockholm for April Fool's weekend, what should I hit up?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Looks like I'm finally getting some time off work. Has anybody been to Ankgor Wat?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

spf3million posted:

Looks like I'm finally getting some time off work. Has anybody been to Ankgor Wat?

No, but you better post your own thread with the pictures you take...dont' just throw em in SAD or PAD...make a 'trip report' or some poo poo, Sounds awesome.

My recent trip to san francisco sucked as far as photography/street fashion photography went, that was probably the weather though...but Napa Valley/Sonoma/Calistoga are beautiful..

But back to the point; if you're gonna be Ankgor Wat (Cambodia right?) I need a lot of pictures from you to do a little vicarious living. Please snap some temples and jungles etc...

e; spelling

RizieN fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 25, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spf3million posted:

Yeah... you'll be surprised at how empty it is during the middle of the day, as most tourists (tons of Koreans) are on package deals that bus them back to town/the hotel for meals and such. Renting a bicycle is the best way to explore the temples, you can see pretty much all of the main complex in 2 days or so. The third day, go in with some other people for a tuk-tuk and see one of the more remote ones, although by then you'll be getting pretty templed-out. I wish the passes didn't have to be used on consecutive days (requiring you to binge through all the temples in quick succession), it would make more sense to let you space them out, plus generate a lot of additional revenue for businesses and other attractions in Siam Reap as people stayed longer. On that, be sure to eat at least one meal at the Dead Fish Tower. It's sort of Mad Max meets Robinson Crusoe. There's a crocodile pit. The market in town is also worth a stop, there's some interesting stuff for sale there. Last year I wore a Cambodian police uniform for Halloween that I got there, for example. Quick haggling primer: don't act too interested, shop around and ask for prices before you buy anything, don't be a dick.

Don't tell a kid that you will buy something from them later if you don't intend to, they will remember you. It can get kind of annoying getting hassled to buy stuff all the time, but if you get a chance to sit down and hang out with them for a while, they'll revert to just being kids, and can be lots of fun :kiddo:

You can snag an extra sunset by getting your pass in the late afternoon (I think after 4pm?) the day before. They'll let you in that day, but your pass will officially start the next day.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 25, 2011

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Bit of a long shot but you never know, going ot be going to panama for a few weeks in June, anyone have any recommendations on locations to check out? I think I will have a car for the full length of time.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Pompous Rhombus posted:

ankgor wat advice
Thanks, I like the bicycle idea. Can you get them near the entrances or do you mean rent them in Siem Reap then go yourself? I read online that you can use 3-day passes in a 5 day window now, so you don't have to get all templed out. We're going to Krabi for a week first, but I'll hopefully have enough postable content to warrant a TR thread.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spf3million posted:

Thanks, I like the bicycle idea. Can you get them near the entrances or do you mean rent them in Siem Reap then go yourself? I read online that you can use 3-day passes in a 5 day window now, so you don't have to get all templed out. We're going to Krabi for a week first, but I'll hopefully have enough postable content to warrant a TR thread.

In Siam Reap, a lot of guesthouses rent them for like $1.50-$3.00/day. It's only about 5kms from the main part of town to the entrance. I think the street light situation is better now, when I went the first time (to catch the sunrise Christmas morning '04!) it was basically pitch black and me and my buddy were leaning over our handlebars peering into the gloom, trying to make sure we weren't about to plow into a tree or something.

gently caress, I'm so glad about the 3 of 5 days thing. That would probably get me to make a third trip out there, next time I'm in the area.

Also, I *highly* recommend Kampot and Bokor Hill Station if you've got the time. You can also do a day trip down to Kep (seaside town with seafood and crumbing French villas) by motorbike from Kampot no problem.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 26, 2011

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I know there are plenty of people asking, but here are my views on Los Angeles:

A lot of people asking about the Getty in LA and such. Great place, but be aware that quite a few areas are no-photo zones. I tried taking my camera into the Leonardo DiVinci exhibit a while back and kept getting a lot of looks or even yelled at by the guards.

Another thing to do would be one of the celeb/studio tours. Our tours at WB usually allow photography anywhere that's not under copyright or active (so, basically none in the soundstages). I would assume Paramount, Sony, and the Universal VIP tours are about the same. Downside is that they are pretty expensive. Cool if you like movies, though.

Also, everyone knows LA as a big metropolis, but people forget that we are surrounded by national forests. I always mention stuff like Topanga and Malibu Canyon State Parks if you can, and the Angeles National Forest is massive. Just be aware that parts of the trails may be closed due to fire damage or whatnot. I'm not sure if it's open yet after the Station Fire, by Mount Wilson is always a great stop if you can get there. Plus, no one said you have to stay on the trails if you're just going for a quick jaunt out. ;)

If you're looking for events, make sure to big up a copy of LA Weekly every Thursday. It's free and everyone puts their calendars in there. The Los Angeles Fairgrounds are huge and usually have pretty neat conventions/festivals throughout the year.

For the few asking about San Francisco, I don't know as much about the area, but Muir Woods is pretty much a must-see. It surprises me how many tourists I meet have never even heard of it, but the Redwoods are pretty hard to miss. Go see the huge trees! Plus, it's a good excuse to drive over the Golden Gate Bridge. While you're over there, you can visit the little area of Sausalito, which is full of little shops by the bay.

quote:

No, but you better post your own thread with the pictures you take...dont' just throw em in SAD or PAD...make a 'trip report' or some poo poo, Sounds awesome.

Please, spf3million, do this if you end up going. Ankgor is one of those places that never gets old to look at. Bring some culture and travel to us poor goons.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 26, 2011

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

spf3million posted:

I know a fantastic guide that I can recommend if you're looking for recommendations. Definitely make the effort to go early for the sunrise. If you are going in the hot season, I'd recommend ponying up the cash for a guide + driver with car, so that a) you have a supply of cold water (they keep it in a cooler for you) and b) you can escape to the car air conditioning periodically and c) you can get out to some of the more distant temples.

Take a fast prime for interior shots and a zoom for the flexibility you'll want for framing up when you're wandering around. Try not to take too much gear though - it's very hot. Then again, if you get the car, you can probably keep some gear in there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Axel Serenity posted:

Another thing to do would be one of the celeb/studio tours. Our tours at WB usually allow photography anywhere that's not under copyright or active (so, basically none in the soundstages). I would assume Paramount, Sony, and the Universal VIP tours are about the same. Downside is that they are pretty expensive.

God drat if this isn't the truth. Universal Studios wanted $79 for admission. We passed it up thinking it was more of a theme park than anything but learned later it is worth going through if you have the better part of a day to kill.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

DJExile posted:

God drat if this isn't the truth. Universal Studios wanted $79 for admission. We passed it up thinking it was more of a theme park than anything but learned later it is worth going through if you have the better part of a day to kill.

Yeah, it's mostly a theme park, but during the Summer they have a Buy One, Get the Year Free deal, so it's usually worth going at least for that. Their tour is definitely a theme park ride, though, compared to the other studio tours. If you want the "personal" tour that's not on a track or anything, it's like $200+ from them. Not worth it compared to the other studios around, from what we've heard. I'm obviously biased towards Warner Bros., but we hear good things about Paramount's lot, too.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I'm heading to Iceland in the next few weeks for a round trip of the island. What are the must see bits of landscape on the ring road which have to be photographed?

(one week self drive tour)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
A German buddy of mine from Thailand is coming to the States in June, and we're making a road trip out of delivering my little sister's 1994 Honda Accord coupe to her new home in Albuquerque, NM over 2 weeks or so. Although I'm pretty well-traveled internationally, I am scandalously ignorant of my own country, having never been east of Florida (save 10 days in California in 2005). So far I'm thinking of Atlanta, New Orleans, and Roswell... I would love some suggestions of things we can do/photograph along the way. He's actually not that in to photography, but I don't think he'll mind stopping at scenic places too much.

Spedman posted:

I'm heading to Iceland in the next few weeks for a round trip of the island. What are the must see bits of landscape on the ring road which have to be photographed?

(one week self drive tour)

Paging poopinmymouth! (Also that sounds awesome, have a great trip!)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

A German buddy of mine from Thailand is coming to the States in June, and we're making a road trip out of delivering my little sister's 1994 Honda Accord coupe to her new home in Albuquerque, NM over 2 weeks or so. Although I'm pretty well-traveled internationally, I am scandalously ignorant of my own country, having never been east of Florida (save 10 days in California in 2005). So far I'm thinking of Atlanta, New Orleans, and Roswell... I would love some suggestions of things we can do/photograph along the way. He's actually not that in to photography, but I don't think he'll mind stopping at scenic places too much.

Turner Field, the Coca-Cola bottling plant, the... uh... the airport.

:v:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

TR is up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3408448.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Okay, I know this is going to be a tad difficult, but I'm going to Rome, Florence, Venice, Paris and Amsterdam. What's neat but not super touristy? Bonus points if it's a place the wife would find interesting too. I mean I could take photos of the usual stuff, but I feel like I'm almost wasting my time with that since things like the sculpture of David or the colosseum have been photographed a bazillion times before from a bazillion angles and times of day.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Paging poopinmymouth! (Also that sounds awesome, have a great trip!)

I'm in Albuquerque. Why are you going to Roswell?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Whitezombi posted:

I'm in Albuquerque. Why are you going to Roswell?

Kitschy alien poo poo. Looking at how far it is out of the way, perhaps not: the Grand Canyon would probably be a better use of time and gas.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I'm going to be taking classes in London starting in July until the middle of August. I've never been to Europe and I know in addition to London I'll be spending a weekend in Edinburgh, Scotland and likely a weekend in Amsterdam as well.

Any suggestions?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Let the dutch goons you'll be around, they're a nice bunch.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Thoogsby posted:

I'm going to be taking classes in London starting in July until the middle of August. I've never been to Europe and I know in addition to London I'll be spending a weekend in Edinburgh, Scotland and likely a weekend in Amsterdam as well.

Any suggestions?

Edinburgh Castle is pretty nice. Loch Ness isnt that far away IIRC, but I dont know how photogenic that is.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Thoogsby posted:

Any suggestions?

Heaps of stuff to shoot around Edinburgh, you've got Arthurs Seat/Hollyrood Park, the Castle, Nelson's Monument, the Meadows, and plenty of street opportunities on Princes St and all the gardens in and around the city centre.

anabatica
Feb 17, 2006

by angerbutt
This is pretty last minute but I'm sure I've seen some decent shots of Bruges posted in the Dorkroom, just can't find them now. I live in Brussels so I'm just hopping over for a few days (May 22-24) because it's kind of silly that I haven't shot Bruges yet (I've been there, just not with my DSLR so it doesn't count really). My usual method of looking for Flickr shots tagged Bruges brings up about 90% overdone HDR crap (compared to the 50% HDR crap that this method usually results in, I guess Bruges attracts really bad "photographers"?) so that's not much help.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

anabatica posted:

This is pretty last minute but I'm sure I've seen some decent shots of Bruges posted in the Dorkroom, just can't find them now. I live in Brussels so I'm just hopping over for a few days (May 22-24) because it's kind of silly that I haven't shot Bruges yet (I've been there, just not with my DSLR so it doesn't count really). My usual method of looking for Flickr shots tagged Bruges brings up about 90% overdone HDR crap (compared to the 50% HDR crap that this method usually results in, I guess Bruges attracts really bad "photographers"?) so that's not much help.

It's hard to go wrong by just walking around the old city. My favorite section has to be everything from the Markt down to the Begjinhof and Minnewater. Here's a suggested itinerary to get you started. Start at the Markt, climb the belfry and go "pew pew pew" at people on the ground like Colin Farrell in "In Bruges." Go just east to the square with the Basilica de Santa Sangre, cross the canal to the south, make a right and head down the Dijver. Do some flea market shopping. Stop at the Groenigemuseum. Make a left into the courtyard of the Arentshuis before you cross the canal. Cross the tiny footbridge and walk around the Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk. Make a left and head south on Mariastraat. After crossing the canal shop for chocolate on the side streets to the west. Continuing down Mariastraat, make a right (west) onto Wijngaardplein until you get to another canal; head over the bridge into the Begjinhof. Continue south and walk around Minnewater, then make your way back by just wandering around.

Here's my Belgium flickr set. http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhitmrb/sets/72157626423016413/

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Going to Shanghai for a long weekend. Got anything you want to see? Also, anyone know of any cool used film camera markets to check out? I'll check google/flickr too, just throwing it out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlushablPet
Apr 27, 2002
AtKajAndAarAt
Gonna be in Costa Rica for ten days in August. Any good locations for awesome shots? I know there's a few volcanoes that can be hiked, but I haven't had chance to look up other locations yet. Security tips with gear and such?

• Locked thread