Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i'm level 75 now. i have 127 mastered pins in my collection and i'm working on a few more. i hate natural puppy. help me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Doing all that before the postgame where you get the ultimate difficulty and it's sweet drops and the special noise refights is a little bit of a waste, but killing Noise all day erry day is something every young JRPG fan should experience.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It sounds fun so I'll take the dive after I finish Bravely Second.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Rascyc posted:

OTOH if you do need to level, the experience skill + bounty is like 5 level ups if you fight the ones grossly over your level. Experience + fort spam is also good in wars. I use that other skill that lowers enemy stats by like 50% on the field, it's also pretty silly.

You're a better player than me because whenever I fight the bounties grossly over my level my team will get one shotted by some super skill I wish I had (Brimstone Shot). I recruited a rogue that has Experience so I'll try get them up.

For those asking about GK online, it's not true online and doesn't require PS+. You fight AI controlled teams of other players and there's voting over war strategies such as where to place siege weapons, etc. It's aggregated and there's very little real time stuff actually happening.

My personal gripes is that leveling is really slow unless you figured out the strategy above, enemy diversity is kinda bad(hopefully later on people will be deploying more gimmicky teams), very few big boss fights, and the game kinda overwhelms the player with various ways to play the game but it's missing the usual RPG trappings of immersion/exploration/story so it might not grab everyone. Some of the way the mechanics are presented also crib too much off of mobage genre stuff and it makes a $45 game feel even cheaper in some places.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 25, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Grand Kingdom definitely does feel like a mobile game, albeit fully featured and more polished. There is a ton to do so if you like the core mechanics, you'll like the game. Dumping stats into TEC is definitely the right choice; even my lovely F/E class mercs are killing it. I've barely touched single player and in my last War battle my level 15 team ended up with an S rank for combat :v: That was a first.

Question: does content scale to the level of your highest squad? Or just the squad you take into that particular area? I want to level my jobber squads a bit more since they are like 5ish while my main dudes are pushing 20.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tallgeese posted:

So I hear the FF9 PC port has some problems.

How bad are they really?

UI is awful and the backgrounds look like dogshit

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

UI is awful and the backgrounds look like dogshit

BG looks the same as in PSX version because it's pre rendered 1998 poo poo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kild posted:

BG looks the same as in PSX version because it's pre rendered 1998 poo poo.

Nope

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Levantine posted:

Question: does content scale to the level of your highest squad? Or just the squad you take into that particular area? I want to level my jobber squads a bit more since they are like 5ish while my main dudes are pushing 20.

Versus and Single quests scale to the highest level member of the active troop, except Versus will sometimes be a jerk and throw in a super high level rival. War is I think +/-5ish levels of the highest level member of the active troop. Campaign and Travel quests have set levels.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is Tales of Symphonia (PC) worth playing still or has it not aged well?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GrandpaPants posted:

Symphonia is alright, but most of the Tales games since then have kind of left it in the dust, having the most boring cast and rough version of the combat system.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also the PC port is pretty bad.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

GrandpaPants posted:

The PC port was atrocious apparently.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's also a horrible port

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

they've patched out a lot of the issues, i think there's still a few left iirc but it's in a way better state than it was at launch

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

GrandpaPants posted:

Don't do it, it does not hold up. Especially if you've played any more of the recent ones - the combat isn't good, the plot is generic, the characters are pretty bad...

It was pretty good 13 years ago or whatever, but it definitely feels that old at this point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is pretty fun so far. My only complaint with the game is the dialogue during fights has no subtitles. I'm guessing it's a limitation of the Japanese version not including a means to add them, leaving the English version poo poo out of luck for a way to code them in or something.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lakbay posted:

You're a better player than me because whenever I fight the bounties grossly over my level my team will get one shotted by some super skill I wish I had (Brimstone Shot). I recruited a rogue that has Experience so I'll try get them up.

For those asking about GK online, it's not true online and doesn't require PS+. You fight AI controlled teams of other players and there's voting over war strategies such as where to place siege weapons, etc. It's aggregated and there's very little real time stuff actually happening.

My personal gripes is that leveling is really slow unless you figured out the strategy above, enemy diversity is kinda bad(hopefully later on people will be deploying more gimmicky teams), very few big boss fights, and the game kinda overwhelms the player with various ways to play the game but it's missing the usual RPG trappings of immersion/exploration/story so it might not grab everyone. Some of the way the mechanics are presented also crib too much off of mobage genre stuff and it makes a $45 game feel even cheaper in some places.
I couldn't do it until I got the Enemy Down field skill. It lowers ATK/DEF by 50% and it's used from the map so you just go straight into the fight in a much weaker version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is pretty fun so far. My only complaint with the game is the dialogue during fights has no subtitles. I'm guessing it's a limitation of the Japanese version not including a means to add them, leaving the English version poo poo out of luck for a way to code them in or something.
they got the JP VAs to record new dialogue for the stuff that changed drastically in localization, they definitely could have asked the original game programmers to code in battle subs. It's probably more that they just didn't have the time or budget to do it.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Rascyc posted:

I couldn't do it until I got the Enemy Down field skill. It lowers ATK/DEF by 50% and it's used from the map so you just go straight into the fight in a much weaker version.

I played a bit more of grand kingdom and found out a bunch fo stuff.

When you class up you keep your skills and masteries. If you class up at 20, you go back down to level 1, and you wont learn any new skills till you go past lvl 20.
Each point in a stat increases by .5 the relevant skill. So Str at 10 increases melee damage by 5%.
TEC increases guard by a little
When you dispatch your troop (not controlling them in war) only your leader can be recruited by other mercs
When your in the war scenario you can press X at a friendly base to defend it. You do battles and "heal" the fortress.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I picked up Jeanne D'arc on the vita. Haven't played this in 9 years but Holy poo poo. I forgot how great a tactics game this was. Everything about it is great.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Don't do it, it does not hold up. Especially if you've played any more of the recent ones - the combat isn't good, the plot is generic, the characters are pretty bad...

It was pretty good 13 years ago or whatever, but it definitely feels that old at this point.

:agreed:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's really bad. They talk a lot - it's not just grunts or generic "here I come" lines.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

That's really bad. They talk a lot - it's not just grunts or generic "here I come" lines.

Unless that changes way later in the game this isn't true. I haven't heard any meaningful dialogue at any point, just stuff like "Here I come!" or "This is dangerous..." Obviously a bit more character-specific (TOUMA HAS ARRIVED!!!) but nothing that is like "this has to be translated!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Unless that changes way later in the game this isn't true. I haven't heard any meaningful dialogue at any point, just stuff like "Here I come!" or "This is dangerous..."

So far it sounded like Toma had something to say at the start of the first boss fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So far it sounded like Toma had something to say at the start of the first boss fight.

Nah, that was just sort of generic hotblooded intro stuff. It was basically like "Alright, here we go! TOUMA HAS ARRIVED! *explosion*"

Edit: I mean I wouldn't be surprised if there is something later but as far as I am they've subtitled everything meaningful include the song lyrics and every line of dialogue that hasn't been subbed is some variation of generic battle quote.

It might be a misunderstanding in that dialogue during fights (i.e: character's actually talking, boss quotes, ect) is translated, the generic round-to-round "Right! Here we go!"stuff isn't. The worst I can think of being untranslated is the dialogue during Ad-Libbing which is more substantial but not meaningful.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 26, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some of the battle quotes have a decent amount of character to them - you don't need to know that touma's being all TOUMA HAS ARRIVED every five seconds to get the story or the characters, but it's fun - but at the same time it isn't critical.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like compare to fate/extra where your character would banter back and forth with the boss for like 2 uninterrupted minutes and a lot of the boss's characterization came from that banter and it varied based on which character you were using and it was all completely unsbubed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

like compare to fate/extra where your character would banter back and forth with the boss for like 2 uninterrupted minutes and a lot of the boss's characterization came from that banter and it varied based on which character you were using and it was all completely unsbubed

Yeah, that kinda thing is a much bigger issue especially since IIRC wasn't some of that dialogue hints as to the fight too?

I also think of Endless Frontier where a huge bulk of the game's jokes were in post-battle dialogue that wasn't subtitled, something they fixed for Project X Zone at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that kinda thing is a much bigger issue especially since IIRC wasn't some of that dialogue hints as to the fight too?
Yeah, F/E had a kind of rock/paper/scissors battle system with guards, attacks, and heavy attacks, so they'd say something like 'crap, gotta back off' or 'I'll beat you down!' and you'll go 'oh, they're gonna guard a lot' or 'oh, they're gonna heavy attack'

kinda like suikoden duels

anyway that wasn't subbed so the na version is a lot more difficult when it comes to bosses, and the sidequest stuff that unlocks the ability to see a good chunk of the enemy's moves in advance becomes basically mandatory

there's even a slight battle mechanic that's lost in the tl'd version where certain bosses would be way more obvious about it than others, like drake is a loud pirate lady so you can read her like a book but arc is completely bonkers so everything she says is just a lot of evil laughing

and iirc one of the bosses even outright lies about what his next move is gonna be. you don't get any of that in the us version

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Mmm, I kinda want to play Fate/Extra again, even though I always get bored by the third boss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you'll never get bored with caster as your servant

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I always went with Archer because he's pretty.

Also how's summon night 5?

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
I played symphonia on the ps3 last year, it was the 5th or 6th time I've beat it, and I've played (and beat) every tales release since then. so it's a step backwards in the series because of no free move or w/e but if you're good enough at blocks and backsteps, you don't need free move. I think you beat a mutated old slave woman to death in this one and one of the characters has a corpse as a parent or something

It's a good game and still owns, buy it.

e: use a walkthrough for dungeons because iirc they're kinda frustrating in this game

tenderjerk fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 26, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

I also think of Endless Frontier where a huge bulk of the game's jokes were in post-battle dialogue that wasn't subtitled, something they fixed for Project X Zone at least.
Resonance of Fate pulled a little bit of that too.

And yeah the FateExtra stuff was hilarious. At least with basic Japanese you can tell when the noble phantasm was coming. The game was also pretty kind on following a set battle script.

Wish we got the other Fate games.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 26, 2016

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Rascyc posted:

Resonance of Fate pulled a little bit of that too.

And yeah the FateExtra stuff was hilarious. At least with basic Japanese you can tell when the noble phantasm was coming. The game was also pretty kind on following a set battle script.

Wish we got the other Fate games.

But Resonance of Fate had English VO? I distinctly remember hearing one guy make a "she goes both ways" joke at the end of every other battle.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Tired Moritz posted:

I always went with Archer because he's pretty.

Also how's summon night 5?

summon night 5 is pretty bad, it's ugly, really wordy without being interesting, and a chore to play

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

LawfulWaffle posted:

But Resonance of Fate had English VO? I distinctly remember hearing one guy make a "she goes both ways" joke at the end of every other battle.
Yah you had an alternative. If you were playing Japanese you missed out on the dungeon dialog at the start.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't know why they keep making summon night games when only the first two were worth playing at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Serious Frolicking posted:

i don't know why they keep making summon night games when only the first two were worth playing at all

If you mean the two Swordcraft Story's, they're spin offs not mainline games anyway, they've always been kind of generic SRPG's mixed with VN stuff

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 26, 2016