Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I guess Cosmic Star Heroine is coming out this summer. That's sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

Endorph posted:

at this point either nobody knows what an actual sci-fi rpg would be like or they all hate it

even stuff like rogue galaxy had a planet list that was 50% fantasy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqjR1gHyIQ

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Xenoblade Chronicles X had more sci-fi than it knew what to do with but still barely any space time :(

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Space sucks anyway. It's just empty expanse where you freeze your rear end off to death. Spaceship battles are cool though if that's what you're asking for.

Honestly all space travel is really used for is giving you different setpieces that might as well translate to desertland, snowland, volcanoland, big city, grassy fields, and so on... There's never any messing with different gravities or atmospheres.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
infinite space was a cool sci-fi rpg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rascyc posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles X had more sci-fi than it knew what to do with but still barely any space time :(

XCX was also upfront about you being stuck on the planet and that it was your new home. It didn't tease you for 30-50-odd hours about the universe at-large being full of fancy sci-fi tech and culture that sounds far more interesting than being stuck on a planet whose culture is in the middle-ages.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endorph posted:

my favorite part of star ocean 5 is all the reviews that spend half their runtime on 'it says you'll go into space but you spend barely any time in space and it's just a repetitive fantasy rpg with like 6 towns and weird guns' that end with 'I hate to be so harsh, because I love the series'

Maybe they only played SO4.

Xenosaga is the only sci-fi RPG I know of and it of course still has tons of space magic. But it also has lots of tech that it goes to great pains to explain so it is science fiction and not science fantasy (boooooo)

edit:
Wait, I forgot about Mass Effect. Duh.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
When Kimberly Wallace and Alexia "Fire Emblem is my sex life" Corriea give your rpg a 5, your game has to be legendary poo poo.

Between the head Tri-Ace guy being utterly clueless at the modern world and also being responsible for Valkyrie Profile, we'll never see Hrist Profile because of incompetence.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

When Kimberly Wallace and Alexia "Fire Emblem is my sex life" Corriea give your rpg a 5, your game has to be legendary poo poo.
uhm

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Knowing that second fact now might explain why her KH book is so stupid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

Knowing that second fact now might explain why her KH book is so stupid.
she wrote a kh book?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I won't believe a word any review says about SO5 and find out myself tomorrow, just like I did when I got with the PS3 version of SO4 at release. :colbert:

which I actually played twice cause I liked the combat so much, so if nothing else that will let me enjoy the new one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

so like is this the good ending or what

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

my favorite part of star ocean 5 is all the reviews that spend half their runtime on 'it says you'll go into space but you spend barely any time in space and it's just a repetitive fantasy rpg with like 6 towns and weird guns' that end with 'I hate to be so harsh, because I love the series'

Looks like I'll try the game out when I can get a cheap copy off eBay, then.

Endorph posted:

infinite space was a cool sci-fi RPG

Star Flight was even better

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

If FE isn't your sex life then I dont know what to tell you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's like mine, I only played one twice and never finished

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Overlord K posted:

I won't believe a word any review says about SO5 and find out myself tomorrow, just like I did when I got with the PS3 version of SO4 at release. :colbert:

which I actually played twice cause I liked the combat so much, so if nothing else that will let me enjoy the new one.
everything ive read suggests that the combat in 5 is much worse than 4

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

NikkolasKing posted:

Xenosaga is the only sci-fi RPG I know of and it of course still has tons of space magic. But it also has lots of tech that it goes to great pains to explain so it is science fiction and not science fantasy (boooooo)

edit:
Wait, I forgot about Mass Effect. Duh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlixbA7_CH4

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

she wrote a kh book?
It's not an SE related thing but yeah.

quote:

For games critic and JRPG superfan Alexa Ray Corriea, no game in the series better exemplifies friendship than Kingdom Hearts II. Corriea's close reading of protagonist Sora's struggles and triumphs, his friendship with rival Riku, and his dark journey into oblivion illuminates how the unlikely universe of Kingdom Hearts authentically portrays human relationships better than any solo Final Fantasy or Disney game ever could. Just as Kingdom Hearts II is greater than the sum of its parts, Corriea's exploration of the game's themes and emotional depths reveals how much each of us is stronger for the people who surround us.
And then someone linked a nice study to contrast.

Raxivace posted:

Here's an example of something I wish more narrative analysis in gaming criticism was in the vein of. This article was written after Days came out but before BBS, so it's a bit outdated in some aspects, and while it's not the best bit of academic writing I've ever seen or anything it's still interesting IMO.

Just compare it to the paragraph that's meant to preview that book-length analysis of friendship in KH2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'friendship'

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

'friendship'

i'll ship those friends

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

'friendship'

IMO they're probably cousins, actually.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Neptunia Rebirth 2: man, this writing dropped off a cliff real fast. Someone tell me it gets better because I hate all the new CPUs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
speaking as someone who loving loves friendship speeches in anime and video games: guh, ugh, hhhgh

END ME SCOOB posted:

Neptunia Rebirth 2: man, this writing dropped off a cliff real fast. Someone tell me it gets better because I hate all the new CPUs.
they're mostly treated as side characters once the plot gets back onto nep and the gang, to the point that all the gags about nepgear in the later games are just her talking about how nobody wants her to be the protagonist

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
That's all I needed to hear. Cool. I was worried that I wasn't going to get them back until postgame or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You get them all back around chapter 5, the game has seven chapters, you get noire, vert, and blanc by bringing their nation's shares up to 50% in chapter 5 or 6

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Junpei Hyde posted:

IMO they're probably cousins, actually.

what does that make kairi, or selphie, or tidus for that matter

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kairi and Selphie are beards, Tidus is the weird uncle

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The only true romances are sora/donald/goofy and rikku/mickey

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Kairi and Selphie are beards, Tidus is the weird uncle

It's all there, people.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Endorph posted:

at this point either nobody knows what an actual sci-fi rpg would be like or they all hate it

even stuff like rogue galaxy had a planet list that was 50% fantasy

the only scifi jrpg is opoona

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't care if you go into space, did they fix the cutscenes?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

corn in the bible posted:

the only scifi jrpg is opoona

Opoona is the cutest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJOUzf_i53k

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

so like is this the good ending or what

This is the beginning. He has to leave or his aunt is gonna die, and also, the amnesia pill he was tricked into taking earlier hasn't taken effect yet.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I liked all the artworks everywhere

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
So the further I get into Neptunia 2 the more I realize that the first game worked for me because it beat you in the face with a couple of jokes and left a lot of others subtle. Meanwhile, this game is just beating me in the face with "PIRATES BAD", which I realize, because I, too, follow this policy, so please shut up, game.

It took the part where they began going "WHY WOULD YOU CHEAT AT GAMES" to make me realize this because this plot has thus far been a preroll "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR" morality ad with jiggle physics.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ah, was it the "THINK OF THE POOR CHILDREN?!" part?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kingdom Hearts 2 is a good game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

END ME SCOOB posted:

It took the part where they began going "WHY WOULD YOU CHEAT AT GAMES" to make me realize this because this plot has thus far been a preroll "YOU WOULDN'T STEAL A CAR" morality ad with jiggle physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

Funny thing is, the "You wouldn't steal..." crowd stole the music they used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If you have a Vita the Final Fantasy Adventure remake, Adventures of Mana is now up on PSN for the Mana Series' 25th Anniversary! :toot: