Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Undertale fans must be huge fans of the film, Batman and Robin.

The reason Batman and Robin was bad wasn't the ice puns. In fact they owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Witcher 3 is cool because you get to play as someone who actually has a personality. And he's a good character, to boot.

I wasn't a huge fan of the combat though

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Incidentally that's more or less my opinion on Final Fantasy 7, too

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Verranicus posted:

The remake looks 100x better too so it's a shame it never got translated.

It even got Steam Greenlit, but no release followed. I hope they keep trying. Wuxia is good.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

WrightOfWay posted:

I like WRPGs but literally the only WRPG I can think of that I enjoyed rather than just tolerated the moment to moment gameplay is Mass Effect 3.
I can't believe they're not doing a remastered trilogy :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rascyc posted:

I can't believe they're not doing a remastered trilogy :(

Some of the source code is gone (:rip: Pinnacle Station), and at this point they'd probably have to rebuild the first Mass Effect from the ground up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Some of the source code is gone (:rip: Pinnacle Station), and at this point they'd probably have to rebuild the first Mass Effect from the ground up.

If they backported 2 and 3's gameplay systems to a remake of 1, that would be good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hudson Soft tried their hand at a WRPG called Weltorv Estleia. You start the game creating your avatar by selecting their gender, age, hair, clothing, height, handedness, emotions, breast size etc. It takes place in the world of Might & Magic 1, literally the space ark. Every NPC has a personality and disposition and you make smiley faces or sad faces at them or Ultima keywords. Other key features: greatest walk animation

I'm a 9 year old girl btw

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hey I'm looking for a game recommendation. My wife and I play RPGs together in our free time, and I'm pretty amenable to anything, but she definitely has some specific stuff she gravitates towards. She's big on games that put a lot of emphasis on collecting and upgrading poo poo, city/base building, that sort of thing. Stuff that she's really liked that spring to mind:

-Dark Cloud 2 (probably her favorite game ever)
-The city building sections of Actraiser
-Pretty much every Pokemon ever

I'm gonna play through at least Suikoden 2 with her, and possibly FFT, but is there anything out there that gets closer to the weapon upgrading and Georama/town building parts of the Dark Cloud games?

Fake edit: console is a major plus, but I could make Steam games work as long as they're not super hardware-demanding.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
In Trails in the Sky FC and SC, can you stumble through pretty much blind and see most of the content or do you -have- to grind at points or go searching in obscure ways to find hidden quests and the like?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Verranicus posted:

In Trails in the Sky FC and SC, can you stumble through pretty much blind and see most of the content or do you -have- to grind at points or go searching in obscure ways to find hidden quests and the like?

sc has a few more hidden bits but i played through both mostly guideless and had a pretty good experience

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Verranicus posted:

As long as you check the job board in the Bracer Guild regularly so none of the short-term job ps expire on you, you'll be fine without a guide.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
What about grinding? Should I be fighting every enemy I see?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Verranicus posted:

No. The game strongly scales EXP to you so strongly that you should actively avoid fighting things, it becomes a tedious waste of time really quickly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Verranicus posted:

The only obscure things in FC are collecting book volumes. They get you a really nice weapon at the end. There's a few sidequests you can miss, but only if you aren't talking to everyone you meet. Which you should.

Trails SC has no hidden sidequests, another book series with some VERY slim windows, and some really hidden stuff in the chapter where you get to explore all of Liberl (Chapter 8). I put together a list of stuff for Trails SC in the "What Should I Know Before Playing?" thread a page or two back from the current one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Verranicus posted:

it's a good idea to fight most enemies you run into in new areas but you don't have to concern yourself with every single enemy at all times, fc is actually a lot more lax on difficulty than sc. that said, don't play either games on any difficulty higher than normal because those were added to later releases and are balanced for new game+

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey I'm looking for a game recommendation. My wife and I play RPGs together in our free time, and I'm pretty amenable to anything, but she definitely has some specific stuff she gravitates towards. She's big on games that put a lot of emphasis on collecting and upgrading poo poo, city/base building, that sort of thing. Stuff that she's really liked that spring to mind:

I'm gonna play through at least Suikoden 2 with her, and possibly FFT, but is there anything out there that gets closer to the weapon upgrading and Georama/town building parts of the Dark Cloud games?

Fake edit: console is a major plus, but I could make Steam games work as long as they're not super hardware-demanding.
atelier doesn't have city building but there's a big emphasis on crafting?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Verranicus posted:

There are enemies called Shining Poms in both games that give you boatloads of experience for killing them. You generally need to get lucky or cheese the fights since they have a strong tendency to run away. If you farm a couple of these fights and get some kills, that should carry you through the rest of the chapter.

Unfortunately, combat is Trails in the Skies major weak point, since the systems aren't that interesting and combat speed is slooooooow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GrandpaPants posted:

There are enemies called Shining Poms in both games that give you boatloads of experience for killing them. You generally need to get lucky or cheese the fights since they have a strong tendency to run away. If you farm a couple of these fights and get some kills, that should carry you through the rest of the chapter.

Unfortunately, combat is Trails in the Skies major weak point, since the systems aren't that interesting and combat speed is slooooooow.

Shining Poms can only be hit with S-Breaks. Or by going after them late in SC and caving their fuzzy skulls in by sheer level difference for easy Sepith.

Oh and you should focus on getting Joshua the spells Hell Gate and White Gehenna. They are workhorse AOE spells that will see you through the entirety of FC.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think there's a way to speed up the combat in cheat engine, but i dunno exactly how

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh, actually one more thing for Trails FC; When you get to the Bose region, the birds along the road leading to Haken Gate are an early easy source of Time, Space and Mirage Sepith.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i think there's a way to speed up the combat in cheat engine, but i dunno exactly how

there is a turbo option in cheat engine, but last time i checked it no longer works for trails fc. i just couldn't finish that game, even after cheating in a haze crystal the battles were too boring and slow.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MockingQuantum posted:

Xenoblade on the Wii (or use dolphin emulator on PC) and Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Y'all were right, Neptune has been back five minutes and the game has skyrocketed immensely. A character basically spitting out my thoughts into these conversatoh my god I'm Neptune and that's terrifying

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MockingQuantum posted:

ff6 or ff9 with 2p loadout

e: To clarify, this is an actual feature in FF6 and FF9 (and also FF4, but undocumented, and on a bigger scale because the 2p controls weren't limited to just battles) where a second player could be assigned characters to control. It's in the customize menu, but you kinda gotta click everywhere because the games are so opaque about it that their official packing or manuals didn't even bother to mention that you could do this.

This won't work in the Steam versions because those are ports of phone versions, which usually have a hard time supporting two controllers

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 30, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Verranicus posted:

It depends on what you mean by "most content". The Trails series is famous for having a very well realized world, with NPCs that move around and change their dialogue constantly to reflect story changes, which means trekking about a lot and talking to a poo poo ton of people. Along with this, there are plenty of hidden quests, book volumes (needed for ultimate weapons), and bonus BP that will not be obviously found without a guide. For the most part none of these are needed from a story-perspective, and aren't going to too heavily affect the gameplay either. So if you just want to experience the story you can just play however you want, doing what quests you find and/or feel like doing. If you consider however all of those small details and minutiae content you don't want to miss, then your only real choice is to use a guide. If not then feel free to play however you want and just wing it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Been playing the Technomancer a bit more, here's some thoughts so far:

Definitely a budget title, though not to the extent War Logs was (and I liked War Logs); once it gets to 25% off or more, I'd say it's a good purchase. Voice acting's still c- to B+ grade, and I think the background story elements could actually stand a little more exposition especially for those unfamiliar with the universe. Interactions with NPCs also seems a mite limited, if that's the sort of thing you're into. Otherwise, it seems solid, and I really like that it seems to keeping with the original game's ultra-grimy aesthetic, where even really good gear looks like it was scrabbled out of a junkheap (and considering the Mars of the game, that might not actually be inaccurate). Combat's also pretty cool, and I honestly can't seem to get where all the criticism for it's coming from, unless you're the sort to never rebind your keys.

If you're playing it, I can offer some tips for combat:
1: REBIND YOUR KEYS. I don't know what kind of hands they have in France, but they're definitely not meant for mortals such as I (and probably you).
2: MAGIC GOOD! The first technomancer 'spell' you get, a series of short-ranged lightning bolts, is so far my MVP when it comes to combat. Like all abilities, it has two mutually-exclusive upgrades. Unlike the other abilities, these two upgrades are both pretty good.
3: Switching styles on the fly is key- you get three distinct combat styles with their own weapon sets and attacks, and switching them up can save your rear.
4: While each weapon has unique stats, even within the same type (e.g. hammers and clubs are both low-tier blunt weapons used with shields, but their stats are obviously different), in the early game you want to use weapons with high disruption or speed, since disruption not only interrupts your enemies' attacks, but I think it also stuns them a bit. Given high enough disruption (and crafting materials are so common you should be able to make some upgrades pretty early on) you can easily stunlock enemies, especially when combined with lightning bolts.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

END ME SCOOB posted:

Y'all were right, Neptune has been back five minutes and the game has skyrocketed immensely. A character basically spitting out my thoughts into these conversatoh my god I'm Neptune and that's terrifying

God bless Neptunia

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nihilarian posted:

Witcher 3 is cool because you get to play as someone who actually has a personality. And he's a good character, to boot.

I wasn't a huge fan of the combat though

The biggest weakness in TW3's combat, similar to ME2's combat in a weird way, is that you quickly discover that the most dangerous enemy in the game is your own impatience and that you can just abuse Quen + the almighty roll for as long as you want.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Alpha Protocol owns.

I'm playing a Taiwanese RPG, or "TRPG," lately. I think people in this thread would like it.

I love everything about this.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

atelier doesn't have city building but there's a big emphasis on crafting?

Meruru has that city upgrading thing that might also hit the spot

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Does Banner Saga open up in terms of combat options? I'm finding the battling dull and even slightly slow

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

Does Banner Saga open up in terms of combat options? I'm finding the battling dull and even slightly slow

I haven't played the second game but combat is always dull and slow. I set the difficulty to easy and didn't look back.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

This is me every few months deciding whether to start a new RPG or go replay New Vegas.

Game sounds dope though, I liked the 90's when every game had all kinds of interesting interaction stuff and experimental game systems regardless of country of origin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

it gets even worse as it goes on and you realize the best strategy due to the mechanics is to reduce every enemy to 1 hp and then pick them off one by one, and that slows combat down to a loving snail's pace

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

The Witcher 3 was a weird mess that still had really bad combat. Its really bizarre to me that people keep hyping it as one of the best RPGs ever right now.

Like, its not bad or anything but best WRPG in five years? Really?

It's well written, well voice acted, and has pretty fun gameplay. It's one of the best rpgs I've ever played and I'm pretty surprised to see anyone disliking it.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Ginette Reno posted:

It's well written, well voice acted, and has pretty fun gameplay. It's one of the best rpgs I've ever played and I'm pretty surprised to see anyone disliking it.

Ha! Ha! How much is CDPR paying you, shill?

No but really some people are determined to hate the game despite it being praised pretty much across the board.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The game certainty has enough ammunition to give you to hate it if you wanted. Especially if you played at launch.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I don't hate it, but I couldn't stand the controls and Geralt has never struck me as a good protagonist :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Six hours in on Star Ocean 5 now, quick thoughts;
- Combat is basically like SO3? No real big improvements. So it's fun but I wish I could turn up the difficulty.
- The new bonus gauge system is way better than it just instantly shattering into pieces in 4. It being tied to super moves is neat as well.
- Suffers heavily from Gears of War walk'n'talk syndrome.
- Lots of back and forth from place to place already.
- Voice acting on everyone is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than SO4's english cast.
- Nice to look at but nothing amazing.

I can easily see how some of these things might drag it down, but honestly the biggest failing thus far is that it's just... not doing anything new aside from letting you have your whole party fighting at once. It's just pretty by the books so far.