Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Clarste posted:

FFTA was a bad game. Especially bad as a sequel to FFT.

It was a good game but a bad sequel, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It was not a sequel to FFT.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
fft is super overrated

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Law Cheetah posted:

fft is super overrated

Yah, but that doesn't make Advance's half-baked mechanics (let's let you learn skills from weapons like FF9! Only we won't have more than one piece of equipment that teaches the same skill!) and dumb AI any better.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Every FF game is the worst best awful great game in the series.

And since we're throwing bad character designs around I'm bringing Cindy back up.

Also, a runner-up text-only complaint because I still hate those rocket heels Samus got in Smash 4.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

every char design everyone here hates is good

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Davincie posted:

Then I guess nothing's good because people have been arguing for pages. :v:

RareAcumen posted:

Also, a runner-up text-only complaint because I still hate those rocket heels Samus got in Smash 4.

They're ugly, but I kinda like the conceptual gently caress-you it is that they didn't take the Other M design even in a Nintendo reference-fest.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ramza Beoulve and Mog are the only FF characters with good designs.

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Ramza Beoulve and Mog are the only FF characters with good designs.

Counter-point: Grown-up Ramza's Butt Pants.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Kuja's cup is very powerful.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

3D GAY WORLD posted:

Counter-point: Grown-up Ramza's Butt Pants.

I agree, it only gets better as time goes on.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Davincie posted:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Everything I like is bad; everything you like is good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I subscribe to the "any design is good as long as it tells you something about the character/fits the character's personality" school of thought..

As such, I really dislike Noel's design in Final Fantasy XIII-2. He looks like a refugee from Kingdom Hearts, not the last human alive on a post-apocalyptic planet.

When I look at this picture, I do not think "yep, he sure wandered across a desolate wasteland until he nearly died from exhaustion/starvation/suffocating despair."

The Assassin's Creed outfit is mildly more fitting at least, I guess.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

NikkolasKing posted:

I subscribe to the "any design is good as long as it tells you something about the character/fits the character's personality" school of thought..

As such, I really dislike Noel's design in Final Fantasy XIII-2. He looks like a refugee from Kingdom Hearts, not the last human alive on a post-apocalyptic planet.

When I look at this picture, I do not think "yep, he sure wandered across a desolate wasteland until he nearly died from exhaustion/starvation/suffocating despair."

His best friend were a reincarnated telephone to god and her Immortal Time-lord boytoy that had been around so long he had seen time loop back around at least once, both of whom are dressed like Purple rave nightmares. Pretty sure his clothes tell us he probably got them from Cauis given the same color scheme if dark blues and purple.

Mind you it's still a really boring design but it's missing about 6 Crossed suspenders that suspend nothing, a few dozen belt buckles and oversized shoes and gloves to really grab that Kingdom Hearts look.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it still amazes me how xiii-2 managed to invent an encounter system worse than random battles in every way

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

His best friend were a reincarnated telephone to god and her Immortal Time-lord boytoy that had been around so long he had seen time loop back around at least once, both of whom are dressed like Purple rave nightmares. Pretty sure his clothes tell us he probably got them from Cauis given the same color scheme if dark blues and purple.

Mind you it's still a really boring design but it's missing about 6 Crossed suspenders that suspend nothing, a few dozen belt buckles and oversized shoes and gloves to really grab that Kingdom Hearts look.

Touche on all of this. I suppose it makes sense Caius would have a spare outfit for his would-be successor.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Serious Frolicking posted:

it still amazes me how xiii-2 managed to invent an encounter system worse than random battles in every way

I still contend that XII had the best system out of all of them. I like fighting poo poo in media res, so to speak.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RareAcumen posted:

Every FF game is the worst best awful great game in the series.

And since we're throwing bad character designs around I'm bringing Cindy back up.

plz dont stripper mechanic shame

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mycot posted:

They're ugly, but I kinda like the conceptual gently caress-you it is that they didn't take the Other M design even in a Nintendo reference-fest.

Eh, not really. The Power Suit design is very clearly Other M's and the changes to ZSS come across as Sakurai going "this would be fun" more than anything else considering that they're still giant heels.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Davincie posted:

:agreed: Next people are gonna start saying Kaine or Nier had bad designs just to cap it off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think kaine's clothes were poorly suited for her murderous hobo lifestyle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah you need good heels for that poo poo.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Combat high heels are like a Japanese staple at this point, even most of the cyborgs in MGR have them.

What's a good jrpg to play that's available on PC? I haven't indulged in a while and I'm gettin kinda tired of western action adventures. Last one I tried was Neptunia Re;Birth 1, but it didn't hold me for long.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I don't really mind Kaine's design that much since she's literally a crazy person. Designs like Cidney and that SO5 character are worse since they're supposed to be working professionals.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, it makes sense that kaine would make poor wardrobe choices because she made poor choices about a lot of things. i'm just kind of curious as to how her clothes held up when she was sleeping on the ground most nights.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Charles Get-Out posted:

Combat high heels are like a Japanese staple at this point, even most of the cyborgs in MGR have them.

What's a good jrpg to play that's available on PC? I haven't indulged in a while and I'm gettin kinda tired of western action adventures. Last one I tried was Neptunia Re;Birth 1, but it didn't hold me for long.

Lightning Returns, Trails in the Sky, Gate of Firmament maybe if you like bad translations

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Wow Gate of Firmament looks like the type of mess I go in for, thanks.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Charles Get-Out posted:

Wow Gate of Firmament looks like the type of mess I go in for, thanks.

Oh wow this is great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4GEOSkOW2s&t=2304s

EDIT: Actually, I'm genuinely interesting, if nothing else because it's a early-2000s style RPG from China. The music is pretty good and obviously some effort went into the game.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 26, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Charles Get-Out posted:

Most of the FF series has been ported to PC by now.

I recommend FFIX and FFXIII-2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renoistic posted:

I don't really mind Kaine's design that much since she's literally a crazy person. Designs like Cidney and that SO5 character are worse since they're supposed to be working professionals.

I don't hate Cindy's design quite as badly, simply because her outfit's made of actual clothes. She looks like she went through the rummage bin of some lovely outlet mall in the middle of bumfuck-nowhere, (Not)USA, which at least fits the setting compared to Royal Mage Blind Stripper Clown.

It's still goddamn stripperific as all hell though.

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm kinda impressed by his sword having a sheathe tacked on the side of the blade for the second smaller sword. That takes some weird defective thought.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
gust makes good rpg clothes

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Law Cheetah posted:

fft is super overrated

Nah, FFT is exactly as good as I think it is, in reference to me. "That game is overrated" is a limp way to say that you don't like a popular game. It's actually totally ok to just not like a popular game.

For example, I think FFTA is trash with a crappy law system, a worse class system, a boring cloying story, a bad quest system, and removing CT ended up a detriment to gameplay.

Also Mewt's mom was a demon and the pink-haired girl actually had an ok life in the real world and turning an entire town into lizard men and goblins is a lovely thing to do and I 100% agree with endorph's sentiment that I'd rather not live in the FFTA matrix because my life is pretty decent. I haven't seen a convincing argument for Marche being wrong other than his brother having to go back to the wheel chair, which legitimately sucks, but it's not enough.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Cidney's outfit was pandering scinemax lameness and even the scenes she's in feed into that. It wasn't a deal breaker and in some games I think it'd work great but it felt a little out of place for the series.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

gust makes good rpg clothes

Varies by game and series though. Atelier generally has cool clothes, especially Dusk, but Azure 2's designs are pretty lol.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

corn in the bible posted:

Trails in the Sky

Hey, is this game worth playing at all? I've seen Steam reviews saying that the game takes a while to get going but it's rewarding. I played about two, three hours of it and it just infuriated me. I can get by a game's weird art choice and even appreciate it because it's stylized, but this game's art makes me terribly uncomfortable. The high-res drawing of the main characters are fine, but in-game they look like fat toddlers, and I don't know if they're supposed to be two years old or teenagers. Well, I mean, I know, they're supposed to be teenagers, or at least approaching that age, but they look like -- they seriously look like they maybe aren't old enough to walk, yet. And also, the combat was annoying. Like I said, I didn't get VERY far, but everything I played had the battles on a grid, but it was always a perfectly flat grid, with the same sort of setup, and very little tactics involved. If that's how the battles are throughout the game, I feel like it should have just been turn-based, not this tactical map that is barely tactical at all.

So, I mean, I guess, in short: I hated the combat, I hated the art, I hated the slowness, and I hated the story for the first three hours I played. Is there any chance I will come to like it, if I keep going?

Edit: I meant just Trails, not the other game.

credburn fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 26, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Some people like it, but eh, you can pass.

You should totally check out Trails in the Sky though, I think it's a lot better than Lightning Returns.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

credburn posted:

So, I mean, I guess, in short: I hated the combat, I hated the art, I hated the slowness, and I hated the story for the first three hours I played. Is there any chance I will come to like it, if I keep going?

probably not

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The grid stuff is there to facilitate attack and item ranges and stuff, you aren't going to suddenly be dealing with complex maps in trash encounters or anything. It gets improved upon in later titles, but I could see FC's combat coming across as a bit basic at times. All's fair if you don't like it, but you could look up how to use cheat engine to add a speed up function to hurry things along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think it's kind of hilarious that the chibi sprites weirded you out that much, considering that's a style that was used in a few older games. it's the same character sprite style used in freakin' harvest moon 64

i get the rest of your complaints though, i'll give you those