Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Stexils posted:

this seems extremely in-character for tidus
He thought it was a blitzball. Then it exploded and he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Anyway Earthlock is out now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/258030/

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He thought it was a blitzball. Then it exploded and he died.

Good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The idea is apparently that the Tidus that got brought back at the end of FFX-2 is just effectively a kinda-weird clone and not the actual real Tidus. That clone dies, Yuna brings him back again, and realized afterwards that she's not actually reunited with the guy who died but a weird magical copy.

Which is actually kind of an interesting idea buuuuut "Tidus kicks a Blitzball and it explodes and blows his head off so it lands in Yuna's lap" is so hilarious that nobody could ever take any part of it seriously.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

10-2 still beats out anything else with Final Fantasy in its name. Except maybe Tactics.
I had forgotten how funky that game's OST was until I heard it again in Record Keeper. So many guitar riffs.
How many mainline FF games ditch the traditional victory fanfare? Is it just X-2 and 13?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
huh, and indie 3d turn based rpg that has actually been released and has a decent aesthetic. that's a very unusual combination.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Earthlock is free on XBLA in October's Games for Gold. Have they done that for brand-new games before?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Earthlock is free on XBLA in October's Games for Gold. Have they done that for brand-new games before?

Psn has done that a few times but no idea about Xbox

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Earthlock: Festival of Magic has just released.

It's a turn-based RPG with a few twists on the genre. There's no equipment - No weapons, armor, or accessories to equip. Some characters use ammunition for their primary attacks, which is plant-based, and after you're a few hours into the game you get access to a garden so you can actually grow it yourself. The battle system is based on pairs - each party member can be paired with every other party member and they get 0-5 passive abilities based on the bond the pair has (from fighting battles and gaining XP). The pair also builds a Super meter over time, and once it maxes out, one of them can use a special super-powered version of one of their normal abilities. A higher bond between the pair allows for using higher power super abilities. You can swap the pairs around mid-battle if you want to switch passive abilities, but that will cost a small amount of the Super meter.

Unfortunately there's no voice acting, (as that's expensive), but the writing is pretty good, and the setting is quite unique.

The page does recommend it's best played with the controller, but mouse and keyboard are fine. The turn-based combat style doesn't call out for a mouse, and with a few minutes controlling the battle interface with keyboard is fast and fluid.

There's also a Before I Play... Earthlock: Festival of Magic page with some tips.

Stabbey did a lil writeup in the Steam thread so quoting it here. You might remember it from the Kickstarter as the game with the potato launcher. They expanded the game from the original plan of 8 hours to around 30 & while it's standalone it has 2 planned FF-type sequels so there's more coming if you enjoy

I haven't had a chance to really play yet but I'll update with my thoughts once I get a chance

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 28, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

some guy on the bus posted:

How the hell could 4 be at the bottom? With that soundtrack, with as revolutionary as it was when came out. If you don't care about when it came out, then the DS version where it had some of the best gameplay in the series. (Challenging and strategic, compared to easy mindless FF6, 7, and 9)

I never liked 4 but it seems like my experience with that game is coming into it too late. I played 6 first, so by comparison in 1995 it was ugly and boring with its set characters and linearity. And I didn't play the DS version but after Bravely Default I've got my fill on breaking Final Fantasy-esque subsystems. The only way I'd replay it now is the complete edition on PSP.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've tried to play 4 multiple times but I've never made it past the dungeon where you can't have anything metal equipped

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The idea is apparently that the Tidus that got brought back at the end of FFX-2 is just effectively a kinda-weird clone and not the actual real Tidus. That clone dies, Yuna brings him back again, and realized afterwards that she's not actually reunited with the guy who died but a weird magical copy.

Which is actually kind of an interesting idea buuuuut "Tidus kicks a Blitzball and it explodes and blows his head off so it lands in Yuna's lap" is so hilarious that nobody could ever take any part of it seriously.

That's a weird thing to harp on considering Tidus was never real to begin with

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Serious Frolicking posted:

the greatest entry in the final fantasy series was the short story sequel to 10-2 where tidus kicked a land mine

you'll have to be more specific

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

I've tried to play 4 multiple times but I've never made it past the dungeon where you can't have anything metal equipped

My memory sucks a lot because I don't remember that at all.

The only thing I really remember about FFIV is how basically everyone "dies" in some tragic way, usually in the form of heroic sacrifice, and then everyone's okay at the end so NBD. But like I said I could be remembering it all wrong anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

it isn't that hard, and there is crappy but adequate non-metal gear available.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

My memory sucks a lot because I don't remember that at all.

The only thing I really remember about FFIV is how basically everyone "dies" in some tragic way, usually in the form of heroic sacrifice, and then everyone's okay at the end so NBD. But like I said I could be remembering it all wrong anyway.
It's the dark elf dungeon, where you meet back up with Edward.

I have a bigger issue with the Tower of Zot right after that, especially in the DS version with those god drat fire(or was it ice?) dogs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh I know it's not hard I just lose interest before or around then

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
FFIV was great at the time, when it was a heavily-character-based storyline that had some pretty mature themes (for the time, anyway).

Nowadays, it sucks. But that can be said for a lot of the greats from back then. Even something like Chrono Trigger, amazing when it came out, sort of shows cracks to those who have played a lot of the more modern stuff.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
What's up thread, is the new Final Fantasy going to be any good because I don't own a PS4 and don't really have the money to buy a new console just for one game unless it really hits my sweet spot, like how I was a teenager and Final Fantasy VIII came out and understood my angst and difficulties PERFECTLY

So I guess the parallel would be a 30 year old protagonist with a boring job struggling to pay the bills and dealing with a cat who vindictively pisses everywhere when it's upset

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Actually when I say that out loud it sounds exactly like FFVII so maybe I should just play that again instead

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
It looks less angsty and more 'alright bros lets go on a fuckin' adventuuuuure!' *cracks a beer*

Which frankly I'm looking forward to in a genre that's chock full to the brim of angsty teens.

Then again I haven't seen a whole lot of the promo material so maybe I'm way off base here.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
can somebody give me a compiled list of jrpgs that are actually about angsty teenagers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF8

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Looks pretty comprehensive to me.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

OSheaman posted:

So I guess the parallel would be a 30 year old protagonist with a boring job struggling to pay the bills and dealing with a cat who vindictively pisses everywhere when it's upset

Sounds like Nier might be more up your alley. 40+ year old protagonist dealing with a life, town, world that all sucks for him.

Perhaps Lost Odyssey too.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

can somebody give me a compiled list of jrpgs that are actually about angsty teenagers

Tales of the Abyss, the hero in the first act and the antihero through the entire loving game Jesus Christ.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Colonel posted:

Nier (J/PS3), Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Graces, Breath of Fire (all), Xenosaga, Kingdom Hearts (spinoffs), Xenogears, Xenoblade...

Now, I like most of those games but they are absolutely about angsty teens.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
freeing the post

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Zore posted:

Tales of Vesperia

Karol is 12.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Sakurazuka posted:

It's actually a cool idea (especially when it's e.g. realizing Cecil can be used as an archer) but I feel like modern games have trained people to get attached to a specific setup and customization because they have become increasingly intricate and specific and it's a huge pain to change things for one dungeon.

Or maybe that's just me and my general impatience with menus.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Shion was in her twenties and I think most of the cast of Xenoblade was too. Xenogears and FF8 are definitely peak angsty teen, though they both spin out of it to varying success.

The way people talk about Tales of Abyss, it sounds like angsty protagonist: the game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Whose even angsty in Breath of Fire? Ryu is mute until Dragon Quarter and I don't remember a lot of angst floating around in general.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

Last Remnant

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I guess if you roll in the backstory to the original Megami Tensei, the story is about a high school kid who summons demons through a computer to kill a bully that beat him up because he turned down the advances of a classmate. It doesn't get more angsty than that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Whose even angsty in Breath of Fire? Ryu is mute until Dragon Quarter and I don't remember a lot of angst floating around in general.

Everyone in II, III and IV? :psyduck:

II- Mina turning into a Bird so Nina doesn't have to, thus losing her sanity. Rand's mother sacrificing her life for the party. Sten's entire backstory is a ball of PTSD and angst. Spar being the only tree person in the world because most of them were murdered and he was a carnival attraction...

like there's a lot

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

bloodychill posted:

The way people talk about Tales of Abyss, it sounds like angsty protagonist: the game.

tales of the abyss is my favorite tales game, it isn't. asch is pretty angsty i guess but the main character's entire progression after act 1 is learning to be more calm and accepting and live with his own mistakes

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 28, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Shion was in her twenties and I think most of the cast of Xenoblade was too. Xenogears and FF8 are definitely peak angsty teen, though they both spin out of it to varying success.

In the beginning the hero is so whiny and antisocial that it's like a parody. But then poo poo happens and the supporting characters are actually the damaged ones while the protag ends up well off.

They really had to ham up the dude in the first 5 hours to show you his transformation later, just cartoon levels of "NO ONE UNDERSTANDS ME! WHATEVER, I DO WHAT I WANT!"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Angsty teens is like one of the few memes about jrpgs that's actually real and prevalent.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
The characters in Xenoblade aren't angsty, unless your definition of angst is pretty different to mine. They get angry because a bunch of flying super robots attack their town and kill a load of people, but that's not the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
luke in act 1 of tales of the abyss is a guy who's spent as long as he can remember living inside a mansion where he's given everything he wants except permission to leave, of course he's a whiny sheltered jerk